• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:39
CEST 16:39
KST 23:39
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9384 users

[H] Roach/Queen nydus all in on Daybreak (TvZ)

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
1 2 Next All
Thylacine
Profile Joined August 2011
Sweden882 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-23 12:04:13
September 23 2012 11:56 GMT
#1
Hi there. I'm a master terran on EU (Mid) and I just got owned by a nydus all in on Daybreak. The guy basically popped a nydus right outside my natural (still far away from SCVs and my bunker) and unloaded 4+ queens and a ton of roaches and also morphed an overseer there.

I went for reactor/hellion into mech and he saw it earlier. Hence he did this insane build. But since hellion/banshee is the most common and imo best opener in TvZ I would like some help on how to deal with this all-in that I consider the strongest all in vs reactor/hellion. My build was 12 rax, 15 gas (pretty awkward gas but it's essentialy very fast CC and average fast tech, so I like it.)

Everything looked standard, he took a 3rd but didn't get to saturate it yet, which is pretty normal. My hellions and banshees were at his tower when his nydus popped down, I did get back in fairly ''good'' time tho because I saw his nydus on minimap, but theres no units to kill what hes got.

The nydus pops up at 8:30 where I have 6 hellions, 1 banshee and 2 marines. heres the replay: http://drop.sc/256956


Thanks in advance

edit: this isn't even an all-in, is it? he got a 3rd and can drone up hard behind this. More like a strong pressure build*.
What you're looking at could be the end of a particularly terrifying nightmare. It isn't. It's the beginning. Introducing Mr. John Valentine, air traveler. His destination: the Twilight Zone...
Lasender
Profile Joined February 2012
United States14 Posts
September 23 2012 12:48 GMT
#2
Hello Thylacine, I'm also a Masters Terran

Generally I do a hellion run by with that build once I get my first banshee, I haven't thought of this particular situation before, but it would let me catch the lair.

If I were to spot the lair, I would probably freak out a bit and scan alot till I find out which tech tree he's going down, and eventually catch the nydus.

Then you could probably get more stuff up at home?

Its an interesting idea from the zerg, but if it fails, you instantly win the game, pretty much. thats a huge army investment for the 8:30 minute mark, and you can do counter run by's with like 3 hellions behind it.
Mules aren't imba, terran are the slowest worker producing race!
Thylacine
Profile Joined August 2011
Sweden882 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-23 12:53:08
September 23 2012 12:51 GMT
#3
Okay. A runby of all hellions + banshee or just one hellion? I hate risking to lose everything and doing no damage so I generally don't wanna do any runby's. I still don't understand what I could get up at home.

It's really hard already to hold off a roach rush when you see them march from their base and appear at your natural way later, this is like a super roach rush that banshees die too aswell.

anyone else got any help?
What you're looking at could be the end of a particularly terrifying nightmare. It isn't. It's the beginning. Introducing Mr. John Valentine, air traveler. His destination: the Twilight Zone...
Lasender
Profile Joined February 2012
United States14 Posts
September 23 2012 12:53 GMT
#4
Well it really depends on what I see at the front, if I see a partial or complete walloff, I don't. but generally its just 4 hellions, which can almost always trade positively.

I generally try to pull his queens to his 3rd by poking it, then runby into his main pretty quickly, he generally doesn't have creep spread between them at this point.

also, there is no way he has enough gas for 1-1 ups and lair/nydus AND roaches. so if he walled with evo chambers, check to make sure they're active maybe?
Mules aren't imba, terran are the slowest worker producing race!
X3GoldDot
Profile Joined August 2011
Malaysia3840 Posts
September 23 2012 12:53 GMT
#5
this sounds like the build curious used against mkp i think, different abit of course but the main thing is the nydus + roach +queen attack early on
prime/startale/[SexComaZerg, RoyalRoaderZerg, SirLifealot] ingame ID = GoodGame
Thylacine
Profile Joined August 2011
Sweden882 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-23 12:56:30
September 23 2012 12:54 GMT
#6
Check replay - he had a wall of roach warren and evo chamber. It was only there for walling and potential spore crawlers. He has 2 queens blocking with the roach warren + evo chamber, runby isn't possible.
Rofl.
What you're looking at could be the end of a particularly terrifying nightmare. It isn't. It's the beginning. Introducing Mr. John Valentine, air traveler. His destination: the Twilight Zone...
Lasender
Profile Joined February 2012
United States14 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-23 12:57:53
September 23 2012 12:56 GMT
#7
Frankly, its a pretty devious build, you're just going to have to outlast him. put up bunkers and such, and wait till you have alot of banshees, sniping queens as often as possible, you will have to retreat to your main, and he might even break in. you'll have to kite around a bit and just wait for your banshees to clean it all up. Maybe invest in a viking to get that overseer? although he might get spores.

I really feel like counterattacking with 2-3 hellions after the nydus comes up will be key, because he'll either loose everything or devote a few hundred resources to hold it, which is a substantial amout of his army.

Also, crisis techlab on barracks maybe?
Mules aren't imba, terran are the slowest worker producing race!
Thylacine
Profile Joined August 2011
Sweden882 Posts
September 23 2012 13:24 GMT
#8
Was way to late to add a lab to the rax. And 1 marauder won't even make a dent in his 10 roaches. If I retreat to main he will still break in easily, and do massive damage. I can't repair efficently because my SCV's get sniped by roaches.
The queens also snipe them! And they can transfuse the roaches. Seriously fucking shit, what is this build? I'm not sure there is a way to beat it with hellion/banshee unless I roast all his drones and stuff.

If I enter his base he can just load all drones into nydus or get roaches from nydus back into his main xD
What you're looking at could be the end of a particularly terrifying nightmare. It isn't. It's the beginning. Introducing Mr. John Valentine, air traveler. His destination: the Twilight Zone...
Lasender
Profile Joined February 2012
United States14 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-23 13:34:23
September 23 2012 13:32 GMT
#9
its okay if he breaks your main, that means its either: way later, or he can't possibly have his queens with him. that means that you just have to run around a minute or two while your banshees kill everything he owns, or the techlab rax WILL have made a difference. one of the two.

Edit: Marauders in bunkers can snipe roaches sniping SCV's without allow that many roaches to snipe the bunkers right up against the wall.

aka: if your bunker is ~ 3 units away from your wall, you can always hit roaches hitting your wall while not allowing more than 1-3 roaches to hit your bunker at any point while the wall is up.
Mules aren't imba, terran are the slowest worker producing race!
Thylacine
Profile Joined August 2011
Sweden882 Posts
September 23 2012 13:47 GMT
#10
It will take his queens like 30 seconds max to go up the ramp. He also put down a creep tumor there. My bunker was in good position for this, behind my ramp but I'm talking about if he would just kill my wall upstairs and then go in?
What you're looking at could be the end of a particularly terrifying nightmare. It isn't. It's the beginning. Introducing Mr. John Valentine, air traveler. His destination: the Twilight Zone...
Ahelvin
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
France1866 Posts
September 23 2012 13:59 GMT
#11
I had a look at the replay, this is the 2 Base Nydus build that Curious used against MKP in GSL Code S.

I was very curious (no pun intended) on how to scout and counter this, and came to the conclusion that in case of a walled-in natural you have no choice but to scan the early lair and guess what is up... I'm not a good player by any mean, but this is what I would do in this situation.

And while this build is not really all-in, if scouted you have a good chance to come back given that you do not take too much economical damage at your natural...
Join the Liquipedia Zerg Project ! PM me for more information :).
dabosaur
Profile Joined March 2011
Sweden95 Posts
September 23 2012 14:18 GMT
#12
Im kinda bad so this may be really wrong:

Pokeing with your hellions to see what he got seems to be key here. His roachwarren was at his door and he had queens to be really blocking of to prevent your scouting. Also when his queens left you could have roasted alot of drones like everyone says, so you have to poke to get the oppurtunity, tho i don't know if it's worth some of the hellions life just to scout it.
zasta
Profile Joined April 2011
United Kingdom99 Posts
September 23 2012 15:17 GMT
#13
As Zerg I'm going to start using this :D mech is such a pain .

Could you try using your starport to build a viking after your initial banshee to try and snipe overlords?
Supert0fu
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States499 Posts
September 23 2012 15:23 GMT
#14
On September 24 2012 00:17 zasta wrote:
As Zerg I'm going to start using this :D mech is such a pain .

Could you try using your starport to build a viking after your initial banshee to try and snipe overlords?

Good idea, but the zerg can just send a ling to his base and nydus via that
Thylacine
Profile Joined August 2011
Sweden882 Posts
September 23 2012 16:09 GMT
#15
Thank you everyone. The conclusion is that this is an extremly powerful build that isn't fully all in but does 100% more dmg then most all ins. I hate whining but that's how I feel. Hope I never face this again because frankly, I will never be able to counter this. :D

Btw the viking idea isnt a good idea since as Supert0fu said, can just send a ling (which cannot be stopped, honestly, he can just run around watch towers and stuff) and nydus that way. And also, making a viking halters my banshee production which is crucial.

Thanks for all the replies guys, appreciate it. Nothing more to discuss here.
What you're looking at could be the end of a particularly terrifying nightmare. It isn't. It's the beginning. Introducing Mr. John Valentine, air traveler. His destination: the Twilight Zone...
Caveman255
Profile Joined September 2010
Israel79 Posts
September 24 2012 18:28 GMT
#16
I copied a similar build from Curious on GSL Code S this season. Forgot which game but it was in the first group stage.
bmoneyAK
Profile Joined September 2010
81 Posts
September 25 2012 08:47 GMT
#17
I would like to talk about this more. This looks very hard to scout. The issue I see is that the queens don't have to walk across the map and they can deal with the banshees and the roaches can win the ground battle.

Here is what I can figure out would be indicative of the attack:
*Lots of queens but not much creep spread (presumably they would save for transfuse) - unreliable since creep spread varies so much person to person
*evo chamber not researching anything. - more often than not it will be an oversight.
*lair with no spire/infestation pit - More often than not his tier 2 tech building will be hidden

This just looks extremely hard to scout since, absent a lucky scan on the nydus it's unlikely in the present metagame. The lack of early gas or a late third makes it look very macro-y, and I'm unlikely to waste more than one scan on it.

I thought that maybe this is a coin flip type of scenario, but the OL was at the gases by about 4 minutes. If T goes double gas after FE and Z sees it with OL, I think switching into this build is very doable, so the Z can do it based on the Terran's actions and does not have to make a pre-emptive decision to do the attack.

I thought about getting cloak. I don't think it will cut it.

I thought about them maybe not researching speed and this being indicative of the attack, but I don't think it is really that useful of an idea.

I don't think a run by is even practical. The guy has 3 queens and 4 lings with an evo/roach warren wall. If he could get through, he would sacrifice the hellions for just about nothing.

I'm really at a loss for how to deal with this.


GreenMash
Profile Joined August 2012
Norway1746 Posts
September 25 2012 09:08 GMT
#18
Maybe you could switch out the tech lab on the Starport and put it on the Barracks and try to get out maruaders?

Thats really the only thing i can think of + bunker on the high ground to deal with this. Never faced/used this on ladder personlly so i dont really know
I love hellbats
FinalForm
Profile Joined August 2010
United States450 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-25 09:47:55
September 25 2012 09:44 GMT
#19
Recently used by Curious in the GSL. This build capitalizes on terrans that go the popular FE into hellion + banshee harass. It is designed to circumnavigate the map control normally give to terran when they build hellions+banshees.

Also even if you manage to take out their anti-air, you gotta remember that roaches will just do so much damage before your banshees can kill them all.
Saiton
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Sweden467 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-25 13:03:21
September 25 2012 13:00 GMT
#20
Mid Master T here.
Pretty tricky build to scout. At first i'd say your scouting failed as you have no idea if he's putting down an early third(small indication that he went gasless but not enough). Your first 2-4 hellions can usually confirm that and start start poking at it and i figure you'd be wondering "Why is he building roaches that he's rallying to his natural and not saving my third?"
Should he start attacking your roaches his allin is either going to be delayed or he's going to lose his third.

This should either prompt you to assume a roach/ling allin and maybe even banelings and perhaps promote you to either scan or fly in with your banshee to confirm what he's actually doing.
As for defending the build itself i can't respond as i don't use mech.
Top diamond terran streaming at http://www.twitch.tv/saitontv
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 1
IntoTheiNu 702
ComeBackTV 383
SteadfastSC349
Rex127
CosmosSc2 51
EnkiAlexander 46
LiquipediaDiscussion
Kung Fu Cup
11:00
2026 Week 25
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 349
ProTech165
Rex 127
CosmosSc2 51
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 59404
Jaedong 1477
Hyuk 729
Soma 675
EffOrt 617
Horang2 524
Mini 491
BeSt 480
Soulkey 477
Larva 338
[ Show more ]
ZerO 296
Rush 294
Last 271
Stork 254
Snow 207
ggaemo 166
Light 155
Killer 85
hero 67
Mind 61
Pusan 49
Free 47
sorry 46
Shinee 38
Sharp 35
Shine 29
Bale 22
ToSsGirL 21
HiyA 19
Terrorterran 17
Trap 16
yabsab 15
Noble 11
Rock 7
Sacsri 7
Dota 2
Gorgc7729
qojqva1077
Dendi859
Counter-Strike
Fnx 654
markeloff138
x6flipin133
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes2190
Khaldor1894
Other Games
ArmadaUGS2610
singsing2134
olofmeister1115
B2W.Neo919
hiko850
byalli395
Liquid`VortiX191
Pyrionflax190
KnowMe115
QueenE75
Mew2King61
ZerO(Twitch)13
Railgan10
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream106
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH305
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 1735
League of Legends
• Nemesis1957
• Jankos1311
• TFBlade746
Other Games
• Shiphtur271
• WagamamaTV208
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
19h 21m
OSC
22h 21m
Stellar Fest
22h 21m
OSC
1d 9h
Stellar Fest
1d 22h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.