• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:17
CEST 05:17
KST 12:17
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7604 users

Need help buying headset!

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
Westy
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
England808 Posts
September 06 2012 22:42 GMT
#1
So, I am a sound noob. About 9 years ago I bought some DSP500's that came with an onboard soundcard (Big thing at the base on the USB) because I didn't have a decent soundcard on the computer. Now I bought that headset so I could hear better in CS 1.6. And it worked, I could hear everything that was possible to be heard. But a few months ago the headset broke, but I didn't buy a new one as I didn't play CS1.6 anymore

But now CS:GO, is out, and I need decent sound again! So I need to buy some new headphones. I have a new motherboard since then, one with onboard sound. Do I still need to buy some headphones with a soundcard to get the best sound from CS:GO?

Want to order in the morning so any advice that can be given quickly will be very much appreciated!

Oh my motherboard is MSI P55A-G55 Intel P55 (Socket 1156) DDR3 Motherboard if it helps.

Thanks!
Wi)nD
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada719 Posts
September 06 2012 23:33 GMT
#2
search forum
use it
its the best
Westy
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
England808 Posts
September 07 2012 00:06 GMT
#3
On September 07 2012 08:33 Wi)nD wrote:
search forum
use it
its the best


What am I supposed to search for?

"Do I need a new sound card" gives no results.

If it was as easy as searching, how come you couldn't find a thread with the answer in it?
Zushen
Profile Joined June 2011
275 Posts
September 07 2012 00:12 GMT
#4
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=168585

first try
Westy
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
England808 Posts
September 07 2012 00:32 GMT
#5
But my issue isn't conncted to the headphones. I don't really care what headphones I get, I just need to know if I need to buy a better soundcard to be able to hear things better on CS:GO
apm66
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada943 Posts
September 07 2012 00:44 GMT
#6
On September 07 2012 09:32 Westy wrote:
But my issue isn't conncted to the headphones. I don't really care what headphones I get, I just need to know if I need to buy a better soundcard to be able to hear things better on CS:GO


Suddenly very misleading title
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Liszt
Profile Joined August 2012
Austria86 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-07 01:00:22
September 07 2012 00:53 GMT
#7
not understanding the question
Westy
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
England808 Posts
September 07 2012 00:57 GMT
#8
On September 07 2012 09:44 apm66 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 07 2012 09:32 Westy wrote:
But my issue isn't conncted to the headphones. I don't really care what headphones I get, I just need to know if I need to buy a better soundcard to be able to hear things better on CS:GO


Suddenly very misleading title



Maybe, but I still will be buying a headset. Just need to know if I should be buying one with a soundcard attached, buy a separate sound card, or neither.
z0rz
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States350 Posts
September 07 2012 15:19 GMT
#9
You don't need to buy a bundled headset/sound card combo. In fact, you really don't NEED a sound card at all, but internal sound cards have DSPs that will generally offer better positional audio than onboard audio (external sound cards are also an option but are preferred when music is the focus, not so much gaming). It gets a little complicated when giving objective advice on a subjective matter so I'm using a lot of generalities here.

Also, you don't need to buy a headset either. In almost any case, you will get superior sound quality from both your headphones and microphone (probably at a lower cost, too) if you do some research and buy the two separately rather than buying a "gaming headset."

-If you're lazy/cheap: buy an inexpensive headset, use onboard audio or get a cheap sound card with EAX5/GX2.5/Dolby.
-If you want superior audio: let me know and I'll try to help narrow down your options. It would help to have your total budget for the audio equipment.
twitch.tv/fartymcbutt
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
PiGosaur Cup
09:00
#102
CranKy Ducklings216
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
WinterStarcraft425
RuFF_SC2 190
ViBE114
Nina 42
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2870
GuemChi 1096
Sharp 122
Terrorterran 104
910 70
Bale 32
NaDa 24
Dota 2
monkeys_forever434
Counter-Strike
taco 626
minikerr10
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox937
Other Games
summit1g7632
JimRising 592
C9.Mang0312
Trikslyr31
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick778
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream26
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP114
• EnkiAlexander 61
• Letter146
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 3
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo637
• Stunt130
Other Games
• Shiphtur568
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
12h 43m
The PondCast
1d 6h
INu's Battles
1d 7h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 18h
Replay Cast
1d 19h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.