• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 17:59
CEST 23:59
KST 06:59
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon110
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6880 users

[M] (4) CD Dark Temple

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
iamcaustic
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada1509 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-20 08:42:56
June 27 2012 18:39 GMT
#1
CD Dark Temple BETA
(by caustic)

Tileset: Shakuras
Map Size: 156x156
Published on: [NA]

(click on images to view larger version)
[image loading]

[image loading]


Map Concept:
Following a similar idea to my other map, CD Quarantine Zone, this map features a decently large main, natural with fairly secure choke, and 3rd/4th bases that are:

1. a fair distance away;
2. fairly easy to defend ground attacks via small ramps; and
3. interchangeable in terms of which one to take, depending on spawn locations.

This is my continuing experiment to battle the death ball tendency in SC2 games, which feature very large and open thirds that are located incredibly close to the natural and main. That kind of 3-base paradigm makes it very easy for a big army to walk in and continue steamrolling through all of the opponent's bases relatively unhindered, unless the opponent has their own army ball nearby to commit to a direct engagement.

All in all, trying to make maps that force players to spread out more, and be more positionally aware on the map.

Contact Info:
Email me at caustic[at]thecanadiandominion.ca
Follow me on Twitter @iamcaustic
Twitter: @iamcaustic
iamcaustic
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada1509 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-27 19:29:18
June 27 2012 18:50 GMT
#2
Reserved for any generic feedback responses, etc.

Also, I'd greatly appreciate people posting replays of their games on this map. This is a map I really want to take and adjust to perfection if I can, so having visible examples of possible terrain imbalances, flawed map concepts, etc. is super helpful.

Regarding size of ramps at high ground expansions:
+ Show Spoiler +
On June 28 2012 04:22 FlaShFTW wrote:
good. i also think that some ramps for the thirds need to be bigger. they can't be THAT easy to take. i support chaos's opinion on that.

If this is proven to be the case, then I'm fine with increasing the size of the ramps. I highly welcome replays that demonstrate map flaws, so I can fix them. However, from the replays I've received of my other map, CD Quarantine Zone, I haven't yet seen any cause for alarm.
Twitter: @iamcaustic
FlaShFTW
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States10566 Posts
June 27 2012 19:17 GMT
#3
map is awesome. did you get any inspiration from the scbw map Fighting Spirit? Third placement looks a lot like it.

Wow I cant scream about a third... TT.TT my life is over. xD

only problem is that everything is so chokey with the millions of ramps going to the middle. if you could combine a couple and open up some areas I think that would be great.
Writer#1 KT and FlaSh Fanboy || Woo Jung Ho Never Forget || Teamliquid Political Decision Desk
TL+ Member
ChaosRefined
Profile Joined July 2011
United States52 Posts
June 27 2012 19:18 GMT
#4
just looking at it I would say you need to widen the ramps to the thirds/high ground base pods. having a 1 wide ramp makes it far too easy to wall off/defend with static defenses. I'm assuming all spawns are enabled with the way you have the two potential thirds equally distanced from the nat?
iamcaustic
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada1509 Posts
June 27 2012 19:20 GMT
#5
On June 28 2012 04:17 FlaShFTW wrote:
map is awesome. did you get any inspiration from the scbw map Fighting Spirit? Third placement looks a lot like it.

Wow I cant scream about a third... TT.TT my life is over. xD

only problem is that everything is so chokey with the millions of ramps going to the middle. if you could combine a couple and open up some areas I think that would be great.

My other map, CD Quarantine Zone, is inspired by Fighting Spirit. There's a link to it in the OP.

Your concern about chokes is also my concern, but I left it as is for now to see how it pans out. Might end up being good depending on how split up armies become from the map layout. If it does end up being a problem, though, I already have an idea or two about how to open things up a bit.
Twitter: @iamcaustic
FlaShFTW
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States10566 Posts
June 27 2012 19:22 GMT
#6
good. i also think that some ramps for the thirds need to be bigger. they can't be THAT easy to take. i support chaos's opinion on that.
Writer#1 KT and FlaSh Fanboy || Woo Jung Ho Never Forget || Teamliquid Political Decision Desk
TL+ Member
iamcaustic
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada1509 Posts
June 27 2012 19:25 GMT
#7
On June 28 2012 04:18 ChaosRefined wrote:
just looking at it I would say you need to widen the ramps to the thirds/high ground base pods. having a 1 wide ramp makes it far too easy to wall off/defend with static defenses. I'm assuming all spawns are enabled with the way you have the two potential thirds equally distanced from the nat?

Helping defend those far away expansions with walls, static d, and a small group of units is the whole point. Making those ramps too wide makes it far too difficult to defend them due to the distance. SC2 maps right now go for near/open thirds; this is the opposite of that, with far/choked.

Also, yes, all spawns are enabled. I'm of the opinion that if you have to disable certain spawns due to imbalance, then the map itself is flawed.
Twitter: @iamcaustic
iamcaustic
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada1509 Posts
June 27 2012 19:27 GMT
#8
On June 28 2012 04:22 FlaShFTW wrote:
good. i also think that some ramps for the thirds need to be bigger. they can't be THAT easy to take. i support chaos's opinion on that.

If this is proven to be the case, then I'm fine with increasing the size of the ramps. I highly welcome replays that demonstrate map flaws, so I can fix them. However, from the replays I've received of my other map, CD Quarantine Zone, I haven't yet seen any cause for alarm.
Twitter: @iamcaustic
SeinGalton
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
South Africa387 Posts
June 27 2012 20:58 GMT
#9
It feels a little like a BW map - I quite like it. I agree on widening the ramps slightly, as right now it seems to favour turtling too much. To me Daybreak and Cloud Kingdom have really good layout in that particular regard.

At first I wanted to see two additional l bases in the center, but they don't seem necessary. I also think that whilst it may seem to suffer from circle syndrome, the layout remedies several of issues typical to such map. Well thought out and executed, sir, I think you're achieving your goals and I really hope for 4-player maps like this one to do well.
They're coming to get you, Barbara.
Mullet_Ben
Profile Joined August 2011
United States54 Posts
June 28 2012 04:34 GMT
#10
This map looks so good. Really, really good. It might be a little hard for Zergs to get a good engagement because of the chokes, but other than that not bad at all.

I don't necessarily agree that you should widen the ramps, but if you do, you could think about half blocking the ramps with rocks like daybreak or cloud kingdom. That way they are a little harder to defend but not as hard as fully larger ramps.

I think people should keep in mind that the small ramps work against the defender as well; the defending army also has to squeeze through a small ramp to move their army between their main and their natural, meaning they have to have good army positioning before an attack happens to be able to defend their main and their third at the same time.

It's interesting that all the comments in this thread seem to suggest that the third is too easy to take, while the comments for quarantine zone all say that the third is too hard. Honestly, I don't think enough experimentation has been done at the professional level to say whether or not these types of bases can work. The only map ever in a tournament map pool to feature single width ramps for an expansion was crossfire, and that had a whole host of other problems with it.
iamcaustic
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada1509 Posts
June 28 2012 05:04 GMT
#11
On June 28 2012 13:34 Mullet_Ben wrote:
This map looks so good. Really, really good. It might be a little hard for Zergs to get a good engagement because of the chokes, but other than that not bad at all.

I don't necessarily agree that you should widen the ramps, but if you do, you could think about half blocking the ramps with rocks like daybreak or cloud kingdom. That way they are a little harder to defend but not as hard as fully larger ramps.

I think people should keep in mind that the small ramps work against the defender as well; the defending army also has to squeeze through a small ramp to move their army between their main and their natural, meaning they have to have good army positioning before an attack happens to be able to defend their main and their third at the same time.

It's interesting that all the comments in this thread seem to suggest that the third is too easy to take, while the comments for quarantine zone all say that the third is too hard. Honestly, I don't think enough experimentation has been done at the professional level to say whether or not these types of bases can work. The only map ever in a tournament map pool to feature single width ramps for an expansion was crossfire, and that had a whole host of other problems with it.

Can I just take a moment to say how much of a smart, funny, handsome, intelligent, and all around fantastic individual you are? Pretty much nailed everything right on.
Twitter: @iamcaustic
Mullet_Ben
Profile Joined August 2011
United States54 Posts
June 28 2012 06:26 GMT
#12
On June 28 2012 14:04 stormfoxSC wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 28 2012 13:34 Mullet_Ben wrote:
This map looks so good. Really, really good. It might be a little hard for Zergs to get a good engagement because of the chokes, but other than that not bad at all.

I don't necessarily agree that you should widen the ramps, but if you do, you could think about half blocking the ramps with rocks like daybreak or cloud kingdom. That way they are a little harder to defend but not as hard as fully larger ramps.

I think people should keep in mind that the small ramps work against the defender as well; the defending army also has to squeeze through a small ramp to move their army between their main and their natural, meaning they have to have good army positioning before an attack happens to be able to defend their main and their third at the same time.

It's interesting that all the comments in this thread seem to suggest that the third is too easy to take, while the comments for quarantine zone all say that the third is too hard. Honestly, I don't think enough experimentation has been done at the professional level to say whether or not these types of bases can work. The only map ever in a tournament map pool to feature single width ramps for an expansion was crossfire, and that had a whole host of other problems with it.

Can I just take a moment to say how much of a smart, funny, handsome, intelligent, and all around fantastic individual you are? Pretty much nailed everything right on.


I don't see why not.
IronManSC
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States2119 Posts
June 28 2012 06:40 GMT
#13
I feel like the ramps in and out of the 3rds/4ths need to be 2x instead of 1x... but at the same time, their far distance makes having 1x ramps more acceptable... hrmm =/

I really dig this concept and the execution of it, but I am feeling really troublesome about the 3rd... It's not that the 3rd is far (which it is) but even the resources are facing away from you so air harass is definitely more dangerous.

What about a 2x blocked ramp where the high ground pod is in your main, leading down into that open area?
SC2 Mapmaker || twitter: @ironmansc || Ohana & Mech Depot || 3x TLMC finalist || www.twitch.tv/sc2mapstream
iamcaustic
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada1509 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-28 07:42:03
June 28 2012 07:40 GMT
#14
On June 28 2012 15:40 IronManSC wrote:
I feel like the ramps in and out of the 3rds/4ths need to be 2x instead of 1x... but at the same time, their far distance makes having 1x ramps more acceptable... hrmm =/

I really dig this concept and the execution of it, but I am feeling really troublesome about the 3rd... It's not that the 3rd is far (which it is) but even the resources are facing away from you so air harass is definitely more dangerous.

What about a 2x blocked ramp where the high ground pod is in your main, leading down into that open area?

The reason I have the thirds as they are is to provide choice between which to take, based on spawning locations. For example, if you and your opponent spawn horizontally, it'd make more sense to take the third that's above/below your main. If spawning vertically, then it'd be better to go for the one that's to the left/right of your main. Like I've already mentioned, if 1x ramps prove to be imba, I have no problem increasing the ramp size. I want to see how 1x ends up panning out first, though. It's an idea that hasn't really seen enough experimentation, IMO.

You make a good point about the third base resources; I might want to consider pointing them toward the edge of the map like the other resource locations if air harass proves to be imba. Hard to tell without enough data, though (and I'd also note that it doesn't always face away from you, based on certain spawn locations like I already mentioned).

Not entirely sure what you mean by a 2x blocked ramp with high ground pod in the main in the context of this map. Would you be able to give a visual example of what you mean?
Twitter: @iamcaustic
Callynn
Profile Joined December 2010
Netherlands917 Posts
June 28 2012 08:30 GMT
#15
While this map looks really nice, I feel there is not enough open space anywhere on the map which is favoring PvZ and TvZ a lot. The sheer amount of chokes and the proximity of them to eachother means a Protoss or Terran army can just kite Zerg into the next choke with relative easy, never giving them the opportunity to surround or do multisided attacks.

Other than that, this is a beautiful map.
Comparing BW with SCII is like comparing a beautiful three-master sailing ship with a modern battlecruiser. Both are beautiful in their own way, both perform the same task, but they are worlds apart in how they are built and how they are steered.
EatThePath
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States3943 Posts
June 28 2012 08:32 GMT
#16
On June 28 2012 15:40 IronManSC wrote:
I feel like the ramps in and out of the 3rds/4ths need to be 2x instead of 1x... but at the same time, their far distance makes having 1x ramps more acceptable... hrmm =/

I really dig this concept and the execution of it, but I am feeling really troublesome about the 3rd... It's not that the 3rd is far (which it is) but even the resources are facing away from you so air harass is definitely more dangerous.

What about a 2x blocked ramp where the high ground pod is in your main, leading down into that open area?


Just what ironman said, great concept and good execution, but 3rd may be problematic...

For me biggest issue is that protoss or terran can expand towards zerg in adjacent spawns, and they only have to guard a tiny ramp. Then they can clear the middle with the army to force a fight (no counter attack), or just swing through the 3rd as a launching point. It makes zerg's usual counter play almost impossible if the game is on even footing. And it's not really that zerg has to be able to counter, it's just the threat, which is very little here bar mutas.

However maybe it's fine. Cool map anyway!
Comprehensive strategic intention: DNE
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 2m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SpeCial 108
JuggernautJason49
ViBE4
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 576
firebathero 80
Zeus 71
910 30
Dota 2
monkeys_forever433
League of Legends
JimRising 400
Counter-Strike
minikerr3
Super Smash Bros
ArmadaUGS125
PPMD36
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5410
Liquid`Hasu1656
Other Games
summit1g6761
byalli520
shahzam504
C9.Mang0117
UpATreeSC65
Trikslyr35
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV215
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream152
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 96
• Adnapsc2 15
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 56
• Azhi_Dahaki35
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
2h 2m
Kung Fu Cup
13h 2m
Stellar Fest
15h 2m
The PondCast
1d 12h
OSC
1d 15h
Stellar Fest
1d 15h
OSC
2 days
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
[ Show More ]
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.