• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:28
CEST 05:28
KST 12:28
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War585.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Fantasy returning? TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8251 users

The Diary of Edgar Allan Probe

Blogs > SirJolt
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All
SirJolt
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
the Dagon Knight4016 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-22 21:52:11
June 22 2011 20:30 GMT
#1
This is a true story that happened to me while I was doing research for my upcoming book (SirJolt's Galactic Travels: A Guidebook for the Would-be Xenographer). With all the focus on literacy here lately I thought I should share this before the main volume itself is released. The content here was hand-translated by me from it's original tonal probe-speak. Corrections to the finer points of my grammar would be much appreciated.

It happened, one dark and dreary evening, that I had the good fortune to encounter the tiny robot they call Edgar Allan Probe. He is a foppish gent, tending much toward the dandy, but seems to me to worry overmuch about the potential pitfalls of his perennial profession, a plague of prattling players preaching the virtues of the cannon rush.

[image loading]
A hastily drawn portrait of the man himself, Edgar Allan Probe, which I drew using some charcoal from the fire he'd used to boil the kettle as we took hot chocolate


You’ll have to excuse my rough translation, I made many estimations, but when I’d talk to Edgar all he’d ever say was, “Mrreow”

The Templar:

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I wandered meek and leery,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a kreeing,
As of some one gently skreeling, skreeling at my main base door.
`'Tis some executor,' I muttered, `scratching at my main base door -
Only this, and nothing more.'

Ah, distinctly I remember it was on the map Scrap Station,
And each separate fine libation wrought its stain upon the floor.
Eagerly I wished the morrow; - vainly I had sought to borrow
From my clumps surcease of sorrow - sorrow for the lost Fenix -
For the rare and radiant zealot whom the angels named Fenix -
Dragoon here for evermore.

And the silken sad uncertain wailing of each yellow warpgate
Thrilled me - filled me with fantastic terrors never felt before;
So that now, to still the pulsing of my core, I stood repeating
`'Tis some zealot entreating entrance at my main base door -
Some executor entreating entrance at my main’s front door; -
This it is, and nothing more,'

Presently my soul grew stronger; hesitating then no longer,
`Zerg,' said I, `or Terran, truly your forgiveness I implore;
But the fact is I was mining, and so gently you came rapping,
And so faintly you came tapping, tapping at my chamber door,
That I scarce was sure I heard you' - here I opened wide the door; -
Darkness there, and nothing more.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing,
Doubting, dreaming dreams no Protoss ever dared to dream before;
But the silence was unbroken, and the darkness gave no token,
And the only word there spoken was the whispered words, `PsiStorm!'
This I whispered, and an echo murmured back the word, `PsiStorm!'
Merely this and nothing more.

Back into the chamber turning, all my volts within me burning,
Soon again I heard a scratching somewhat louder than before.
`Surely,' said I, `surely that is something at my pylon’s lattice;
Let me see then, what thereat is, and this mystery explore -
Let my heart be still a moment and this mystery explore; -
'Tis Automaton 2000 and nothing more!'

Down then I tore the warpgate, when, with many a flirt and shake,
In there stepped a stately templar of the saintly days of yore.
Not the least obeisance made he; not a minute stopped or stayed he;
But, with mien of lord or lady, drifted above my main base floor -
Perched beside a core of cybers just above my main base floor -
Perched, and sat, and nothing more.

Then this white templar beguiling my sad fancy into smiling,
By the grave and stern decorum of the countenance it wore,
`Though thy crest be shorn and shaven, thou,' I said, `art sure no craven.
Ghastly grim and ancient templar wandering from the scrap station -
Tell me what thy appelation is on the map’s scrap ridden shore!'
Quoth the templar, `Tassadar.'

Much I marvelled this ungainly thing to hear discourse so plainly,
Though his answer little meaning - little relevancy bore;
For we cannot help agreeing that no living protoss being
Ever yet was blessed with seeing man above his main base -
Bird or beast above the sculptured bust above his main base floor,
With such name as `Tassadar.'

But the templar, sitting lonely on the placid bust, spoke only,
That one word, as if his soul in that one word he did outpour.
Nothing further then he uttered - not a feather then he fluttered -
Till I scarcely more than muttered `Other friends I’ve known before -
On the morrow he will leave me, as my hopes have flown before.'
The psychic said, `Mine some more.'

Startled at the stillness broken by reply so aptly spoken,
`Doubtless,' said I, `what it utters is its only stock and store,
Caught from some unhappy master whom unmerciful disaster
Followed fast and followed faster till his songs one burden bore -
Till the dirges of his hope that melancholy burden bore
Of "Research storm."'

But the templar still beguiling all my sad soul into smiling,
Straight I wheeled a bright archive in front of him and main base door;
Then, with early forge spinning, I betook myself to willing
Fancy unto fancy, thinking what this ominous ‘toss of yore -
What this grim, ungainly, ghastly, gaunt, and ominous ‘toss of yore
Meant in croaking `Research storm.'

This I sat engaged in guessing, but no syllable expressing
To the ‘toss whose fiery eyes now burned into my robotic core;
This and more I sat divining, with my head at ease reclining
On the nexus’ pulsing lining that the chronoboost gloated o'er,
But whose fervent violet lining with the lamp-light gloating o'er,
It shall press, ah, Psychic Storm!

Then, methought, the air grew denser, perfumed from an unseen censer
Swung by mutalisks whose wing-beats tinkled on the foetid air.
`Wretch,' I cried, `Zeratul hath lent thee - by these dark shrines he has sent thee
Respite - respite and nepenthe from thy memories of kheydarin!
Quaff, oh quaff this kind nepenthe, and forget this amulet!'
Quoth the templar, `Research storm.'

`Prophet!' said I, `thing of evil! - prophet still, if bird or devil! -
Whether tempter sent, or whether tempest tossed thee here ashore,
Desolate yet all undaunted, on this desert land enchanted -
On this home by horror haunted - tell me truly, I implore -
Is there - is there balm on planet Char? - tell me - tell me, I implore!'
Quoth the templar, `Instant Storms.'

`Prophet!' said I, `thing of evil! - prophet still, if bird or devil!
By that Heaven that bends above us - by that Aiur we both adore -
Tell this soul with sorrow laden if, except the distant Kerrigan,
It shall wield a fated necklace, which the angels named kheydarin -
Clasp a rare and rich amulet, which the angels named kheydarin?'
Quoth the templar, `Instant Storms.'

`Be that word our sign of parting, ‘toss or fiend!' I shrieked upstarting -
`Get thee back into the tempest and the map Scrap Station’s shore!
Leave no black plume as a token of that lie thy soul hath spoken!
Leave my loneliness unbroken! - quit the bust above my door!
Take thy beak from out my heart, and take thy form from off my door!'
Quoth the templar, `Zergling Swarms.'

And the templar, never flitting, still is drifting, still is drifting,
On the foetid air of Scrap Station just above my main base floor;
And his eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming,
And the lamp-light o'er him streaming throws his shadow on the floor;
And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor
Shall be lifted – feedback more!






+ Show Spoiler +
I'm so sorry, I don't even know who the target audience is anymore.



****
Moderator@SirJolt
SonuvBob
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Aiur21552 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-22 20:37:56
June 22 2011 20:37 GMT
#2
There is something seriously wrong with you, but in a good way. Don't ever change.
Administrator
eviltomahawk
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States11135 Posts
June 22 2011 20:41 GMT
#3
Holy check, I got nerd chills from reading that, though my poetry comprehension is quite poor.
ㅇㅅㅌㅅ
Qumquat
Profile Joined April 2011
Israel353 Posts
June 22 2011 20:43 GMT
#4
Words of a genius...
I especially loved the raven, uh, I mean the Templar.
5/5
mordek
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States12705 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-22 20:47:20
June 22 2011 20:44 GMT
#5
<3 all of your work. Love it!

Edit: Just hit me, Tassadar correct spelling?
It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not to look ahead where eternal joy abides. Tiberius77 | Mordek #1881 "I took a mint!"
Monokeros
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
United States2493 Posts
June 22 2011 20:52 GMT
#6
Amazing I read every bit of it and wow just words yeah. good stuffs.
Keep the Dream Alive twitch.tv/monokerros
ProbeYourSCV
Profile Joined June 2011
Bahrain30 Posts
June 22 2011 20:56 GMT
#7
Good stuff bro, would be better if you recite this poem on youtube
Long Live the King
garbanzo
Profile Joined October 2009
United States4046 Posts
June 22 2011 21:02 GMT
#8
Seems like a really strange choice for a parody. It works quite well though, templars should totally say "research storm".
Even during difficult times, when I sat down to play the game, there were times where it felt like god has descended down and played [for me].
Liquid`Drone
Profile Joined September 2002
Norway28908 Posts
June 22 2011 21:12 GMT
#9
I second sonuvbob.
Moderator
flowSthead
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
1065 Posts
June 22 2011 21:15 GMT
#10
That was pretty badass.
"You can be creative but I will crush it under the iron fist of my conservative play." - Liquid`Tyler █ MVP ■ MC ■ Boxer ■ Grubby █
emperorchampion
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Canada9496 Posts
June 22 2011 21:30 GMT
#11
Hahaha, well done
TRUEESPORTS || your days as a respected member of team liquid are over
n.DieJokes
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States3443 Posts
June 22 2011 21:49 GMT
#12
That was cool... I'm proud of you
MyLove + Your Love= Supa Love
SirJolt
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
the Dagon Knight4016 Posts
June 22 2011 21:53 GMT
#13
On June 23 2011 05:37 SonuvBob wrote:
There is something seriously wrong with you, but in a good way. Don't ever change.


On June 23 2011 06:12 Liquid`Drone wrote:
I second sonuvbob.


If either of you can fix this star problem I've got going on ↓ I'd super appreciate it
Moderator@SirJolt
Heyoka
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Katowice25012 Posts
June 22 2011 22:10 GMT
#14
I'm in love with everything you produce I can't believe bob and Drone wouldn't spotlight this.
@RealHeyoka | ESL / DreamHack StarCraft Lead
3 Lions
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States3705 Posts
June 22 2011 22:14 GMT
#15
holy...
Redmark
Profile Joined March 2010
Canada2129 Posts
June 22 2011 22:17 GMT
#16
I don't know about poetic value but the most memorable thing about The Raven was how everything rhymed imo. Though I get that's it'd difficult to find SC stuff that rhymes with Lenore
Froadac
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States6733 Posts
June 22 2011 22:19 GMT
#17
Quite the epic rendition.

Not sure my english teacher would appreciate it though ^^
Hapahauli
Profile Joined May 2009
United States9305 Posts
June 22 2011 22:19 GMT
#18
Bravo... that's just... wow.
a talking rock that sprouts among the waves woosh
Stijx
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States804 Posts
June 22 2011 22:34 GMT
#19
... That was awesome. Amazing work ^_^
nttea
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Sweden4353 Posts
June 22 2011 22:50 GMT
#20
SHIT why would you do such a thing? so much work and so little praise!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 6h 32m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 230
NeuroSwarm 185
FoxeR 29
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 3543
Leta 1859
Bale 53
Shine 15
Icarus 6
Other Games
summit1g6982
JimRising 565
WinterStarcraft410
ViBE158
Mew2King19
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick698
BasetradeTV199
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Light_VIP 16
• davetesta15
• Letter1411
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo781
Other Games
• Scarra1039
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6h 32m
Patches Events
11h 32m
BSL Open Qualifier
15h 32m
BSL Open Qualifier
15h 32m
OSC
19h 32m
OSC
1d 8h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.