• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:41
CEST 06:41
KST 13:41
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202612Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ BW General Discussion GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November]
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9717 users

Starcraft Patriotism!

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 9 10 11 Next All
AustinCM
Profile Joined May 2011
Canada275 Posts
June 16 2011 04:03 GMT
#1
Now lately I have noticed that no matter where you're from everyone loves the Korean Starcraft players. it is because of their tremendous skill and root in Starcraft and also how dedicated they are and I really commend them for this.

But, it seems that not too many people are actually that patriotic about their own countrie's players. Personally I am thrilled everytime a Canadian player gets the win over some other big name, like KiWi or HuK but it doesn't seem this way for everyone. I am a huge huge huge IdrA fan and also really like NesTea but I was wondering why people don't root for their own country as much as they root for the Korean to win no matter what match it is or where it is. Instead of many Americans being really happy that IdrA was the only contender against Koreans they chose to be negative about it and put the Koreans on a pedestal instead.

Maybe I get the wrong idea but what do you guys think? Do you think a lot of eSports fans are patriotic?
"Somewhere, Something incredible is waiting to be known." -Carl Sagan
KimJongChill
Profile Joined January 2011
United States6429 Posts
June 16 2011 04:05 GMT
#2
Well, I'm Korean-American, so I like to root for both American and Korean players :3
MMA: U realise MMA: Most of my army EgIdra: fuck off MMA: Killed my orbital MMA: LOL MMA: just saying MMA: u werent loss
Leyra
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States1222 Posts
June 16 2011 04:05 GMT
#3
Not to troll, but clearly you don't read these forums that much? ~_~;; Any post that's remotely related to "who's the best player" has swedish posters posting about jinro/thorzain/nani, french posters talking about adelscott, canadians huk, etc. etc. I see it a ton around here, lol. You're right though that a lot of folks who aren't "patriotic" just default to "lololkoreans da best". Personally, I just like players for who they are and the style the play, not their country of origin! There's plenty of the "patriotic" type around though.
red4ce
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States7313 Posts
June 16 2011 04:05 GMT
#4
You didn't read the TSL LR threads very much did you?
AustinCM
Profile Joined May 2011
Canada275 Posts
June 16 2011 04:06 GMT
#5
Haha no I didn't, but thinking about myself I'm not that patriotic. Mostly because the best Canadians are Protoss and I hate Protoss and also IdrA is baller status.
"Somewhere, Something incredible is waiting to be known." -Carl Sagan
Clog
Profile Joined January 2011
United States950 Posts
June 16 2011 04:07 GMT
#6
I feel that people tend to have a devotion to their race more than their country when watching starcraft games. But maybe that's just me.
NesTea | LosirA | MVP | CoCa | Nada | Ryung | DRG | YongHwa
Itsmedudeman
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States19229 Posts
June 16 2011 04:09 GMT
#7
When I watch a sport that's essentially one person vs. another I don't really get the idea of country vs. country unless it's like the olympics. I think in every competition each player has the idea that they want to win it for themselves more than for their country so I don't quite get the hype around players fanboying around their native player, but it happens.

I'm not a very nationalistic/patriotic person to begin with though.
zhurai
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States5660 Posts
June 16 2011 04:10 GMT
#8
On June 16 2011 13:07 Clog wrote:
I feel that people tend to have a devotion to their race more than their country when watching starcraft games. But maybe that's just me.

I'm the same here.

I just root for zergs // some certain players from protoss and terran, but zerg above the others.
Twitter: @zhurai | Site: http://zhurai.com
Licmyobelisk
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
Philippines3682 Posts
June 16 2011 04:12 GMT
#9
trying to turn Sc 2 into Euro Futbol.... no :D
I don't think I've ever wished my opponent good luck prior to a game. When I play, I play to win. I hope every opponent I ever have is cursed with fucking terrible luck. I hope they're stuck playing underneath a stepladder with a black cat in attendance a
godemperor
Profile Joined October 2010
Belgium2043 Posts
June 16 2011 04:15 GMT
#10
I'm Italian and all we have got is cloud, so I just support the best players most of the time.
Blasterion
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
China10272 Posts
June 16 2011 04:17 GMT
#11
hmmm I guess I support Terrans mostly then Asian Players over other players
[TLNY]Mahjong Club Thread
SiguR
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Canada2039 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-16 04:21:31
June 16 2011 04:20 GMT
#12
Hmm, how did it go?

"Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel."

Most patriotism is pretty silly to me but that's obviously a personal thing. There seems to be a decent amount of it in starcraft though for those who like it. Things will get crazy at WCG i'm sure.
hiyo_bye
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States737 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-16 04:21:09
June 16 2011 04:20 GMT
#13
I'm a Chinese American, and I definitely do support both Chinese and American players :X

I think in general people support their countrymen, but sometimes you just gotta support the better player.
Random
Gamegene
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States8308 Posts
June 16 2011 04:22 GMT
#14
Starcraft fans don't (usually) care about where you're from, they care about how good you are.
Unless they're Korean, in that case you better be good as IdrA.
Throw on your favorite jacket and you're good to roll. Stroll through the trees and let your miseries go.
HeIios
Profile Joined May 2010
Sweden2523 Posts
June 16 2011 04:22 GMT
#15
Couldn't be prouder.
nakedsurfer
Profile Joined April 2011
Canada500 Posts
June 16 2011 04:23 GMT
#16
There is quite a bit patriotism in sc2 but I think since sc1 was dominated by korean players basically everyone outside korea is rooting for any foreigner if they're playing koreans. With that said once foreigners start to show much better results versus koreans and wait a few years there will definatly be more patriotism
Root4Root
MechKing
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States3004 Posts
June 16 2011 04:23 GMT
#17
I support Terrans regardless of nationality.
HeeroFX
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States2704 Posts
June 16 2011 04:25 GMT
#18
Well in MLG i really found myself rooting for us players to dooo really well. And i really wanted Idra to win it all. But ya i think in a lot of events that have US players in it, i will generally root for the us players over other players, because of pride in my nation.
RandomAccount#49059
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States2140 Posts
June 16 2011 04:25 GMT
#19
--- Nuked ---
caelym
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States6430 Posts
June 16 2011 04:25 GMT
#20
I used to be very patriotic towards the American scene, but I've been let down too many times
Now I wish I was Swedish.
1 2 3 4 5 9 10 11 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
QMC Community Tournament 1
Liquipedia
OSC
07:15
Masters Cup #151 Group C
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 186
ProTech130
Nina 81
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 3001
Shuttle 1638
Sharp 252
Dewaltoss 78
Mong 41
Noble 17
Icarus 5
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm181
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox609
Other Games
summit1g8475
WinterStarcraft475
C9.Mang0282
ViBE128
Sick118
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• practicex 29
• StrangeGG 20
• Letter1410
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki16
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota282
League of Legends
• Lourlo1047
• Stunt344
Other Games
• Shiphtur422
Upcoming Events
OSC
18h 19m
Big Brain Bouts
1d 5h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 12h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 14h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.