• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:49
CEST 14:49
KST 21:49
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War25.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202619Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November] ASL22 General Discussion
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10775 users

Starcraft Patriotism! - Page 3

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 9 10 11 Next All
chenchen
Profile Joined November 2010
United States1136 Posts
June 16 2011 05:01 GMT
#41
I mostly root for Koreans because I admire their mindset and mentality.

powerade = dragoon blood
Whole
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States6046 Posts
June 16 2011 05:05 GMT
#42
They had a USA chant when IdrA beat MC at MLG...
zTz
Profile Blog Joined February 2003
United States476 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-16 05:07:42
June 16 2011 05:06 GMT
#43
Root for your heroes durrrr; just dont be all gaga (like chenchen ^) over a Korean because their "the best." Groups of people who play with each other constantly will obviously have a better chance.


I root AGAINST the Koreans that think they autowin because of their race; isnt that called, like, racism, or something?
where's the rants n flames section?
Suc
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Australia1569 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-16 05:11:24
June 16 2011 05:07 GMT
#44
On June 16 2011 13:58 Arterial wrote:
australia....has.....

Moonglade, tgun, some others and in bw we had Legionnaire.

Edit: As for the OP, the foreign community seems to have tonnes of patriotism, noticeable in any Korea vs World matches and yeah, at MLG, there were some obvious USA chants.
Ocedic
Profile Joined April 2010
United States1808 Posts
June 16 2011 05:10 GMT
#45
On June 16 2011 13:28 wongisgreat wrote:
No one chooses where they're born so it's foolish to be proud of it.


Basically this. Also, people don't seem to understand the accomplishments of others has little to do with your own skill.

For example, right now the top players of EU are very good, basically almost if not equal to a lot of top Korean players. North America's pro scene, on the other hand, is in a sad state. However, that doesn't mean that if you're Korean or European, you're automatically superior to all North Americans. Even as a whole, the European and North American ladders are really not that different (many people do consider Korean ladder the hardest though.)
Misanthrope
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States924 Posts
June 16 2011 05:11 GMT
#46
Methinks this is only from your limited experience. Every time I watch a tourney with friends we root for Californian>USA>foreigner.
Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve. - Benjamin Franklin
dpL
Profile Joined May 2011
Sweden571 Posts
June 16 2011 05:18 GMT
#47
On June 16 2011 14:10 Ocedic wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 16 2011 13:28 wongisgreat wrote:
No one chooses where they're born so it's foolish to be proud of it.


Basically this. Also, people don't seem to understand the accomplishments of others has little to do with your own skill.

Elaborate on this. Do you think people cheer for countrymen in order to boost their own ego? If so, what do you base it on?
Steelavocado
Profile Joined May 2010
United States2123 Posts
June 16 2011 05:20 GMT
#48
I, myself, have sc2 patriotism. As an american I will first cheer for IdrA(favorite player), but if he gets knocked out, I hope that any other american takes the event. If all of the americans are knocked out, then I cheer for the NA players(Canada, Peru, etc.), then europeans, then last but not least, Koreans. When it comes to these American made proleagues, I take CatZ's viewpoint. TBH I want to see large prize pool tournys like IPL that are purely/nearly all NA player filled. I feel like a win of an american born player is a win for americans in general, and a win for western esports.

Just my opinion, thanks for reading!
MIRACLE IS YOUR TI7 CHAMP
L3gendary
Profile Joined October 2010
Canada1470 Posts
June 16 2011 05:21 GMT
#49
Because I should cheer for someone because they happen to reside within an arbitrarily defined region that I also happen to be in? Granted ive never considered myself patriotic. Even when watching the olympics I was more interested in watching Chinese table tennis players, the Jamaican Usain Bolt, and American Michael Phelps rather than Canadians getting a bronze in some boring rowing event.
Watching Jaedong play purifies my eyes. -Coach Ju Hoon
Kava
Profile Joined October 2010
Canada65 Posts
June 16 2011 05:22 GMT
#50
I've been a fan of Huk since I saw him play at blizzcon and was like O_O a canadian player?! NICE!

Keeping full in mind that I hate toss as a race, they are annoying. But apparently being a canadian transcends that for me. HUK FIIIIGHTING!
I am bad ergo I win. ♥ this logic
Engore
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States1916 Posts
June 16 2011 05:23 GMT
#51
I'm from the US and i personally wish all our players would smash any other player into the ground then pull them out and catapult them onto the moon and blow it up with a nuclear warhead. But i'm an American and sometimes our patriotism is a little over the edge.

I like to see all players do well really. But i like it when USA players win. Like when IdrA was playing in MLG Colum. I wanted him to kick the Koreans ass to try and prove we can beat them. Sadly that only happened one time.

If no person from the USA is in it that i like then i usually just root for whoever i like best. SeleCT is a hard one because he is Korean but lives in the USA. I like to consider him one of ours but i can't i still <3 him though.

All players are awesome though!! <3 ESPORTS!!
EG | Liquid | Dignitas | FXO | SlayerS | TSL | iS | Fan of pretty much all players ^_^ | SeleCT <3 forever! Axslav <3
Dearion
Profile Joined September 2010
Denmark26 Posts
June 16 2011 05:27 GMT
#52
I always root for action jesus! How can you not?
Fingulfin
Profile Joined October 2010
United States110 Posts
June 16 2011 05:36 GMT
#53
I'm patriotic for all foreigners, does that count?

Seriously though, country has very little to do with whether or not I like a player. The most influencing factor is probably their behavior outside of games (I love IdrA, MC, Naniwa etc because they are personalities). Race (zerg fighting!), play-style and the ability to provide epic games are probably the other big things that I base my liking of a player off of. Lesser influencing factors would be Dark Horse stories (Jookto in the super tournament), players who just stand out (leenock for his age, MKP for being MKP, etc), foreigners get automatic bonus points and success in tournaments effects likeability.
A.J.
Profile Joined August 2010
United States209 Posts
June 16 2011 05:40 GMT
#54
I'm extremely patriotic when it comes to American players vs any other country, but I feel like it's Koreans vs Foreigners for most others.
Take a chance
dpL
Profile Joined May 2011
Sweden571 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-16 05:46:51
June 16 2011 05:42 GMT
#55
On June 16 2011 14:27 Dearion wrote:
I always root for action jesus! How can you not?

ActionJesus transcends nationality, ethnicity and time itself. He sixpooled straight into our hearts.
Rabiator
Profile Joined March 2010
Germany3948 Posts
June 16 2011 05:55 GMT
#56
Excessive patriotism is always BAD and this excess is easily reached. Since patriotism is a "Yes or No" thing there isnt much to say about it. If you root for player X just because he was born in your country and not because you like his style of play that is patriotism, but it also means you are basing your decision purely on one emotion.

As emotions go that is one of the worst to base your decisions on, because there is no way to argue for / against something due to the black and white character of it. Personally I prefer to give my brain the biggest weight in who / what to like and who to despise, because I like the definition of "human" in Frank Herbert's book DUNE. Only if you are able to override your emotions and instincts are you truly a human, otherwise you are simply an animal.

As a german there arent that many players to root for and patriotism doesnt play any role in it. I like TLO because he thinks outside the box, tries wild things and is really funny when he casts and I like Goody because I like mech. Other than that I dont have any german favorites to root for and many of them are hidden in that obscure german Starcraft league which I dont watch anyways.
If you cant say what you're meaning, you can never mean what you're saying.
bovineblitz
Profile Joined September 2010
United States314 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-16 06:01:24
June 16 2011 05:59 GMT
#57
Personally I like individual players, I don't care where they're from.


On June 16 2011 14:55 Rabiator wrote:

As emotions go that is one of the worst to base your decisions on, because there is no way to argue for / against something due to the black and white character of it. Personally I prefer to give my brain the biggest weight in who / what to like and who to despise, because I like the definition of "human" in Frank Herbert's book DUNE. Only if you are able to override your emotions and instincts are you truly a human, otherwise you are simply an animal.


+infinity points for referencing Dune
ectonym
Profile Joined July 2010
United States147 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-16 06:09:56
June 16 2011 06:08 GMT
#58
Where is the "America, fuck yea!" ?

The chant of USA, USA, lasted for like 2 rounds of USAishness...is that all you got Ohio?

edit: added the characters "ishness"
I cannot be what I am so I become money, quarter by quarter, and live as long as I can live. "Why I Play Video Games," by Tony Barnstone. check out my design website, ectonym.com
FrozenFrotie
Profile Joined January 2011
Singapore156 Posts
June 16 2011 06:09 GMT
#59
In my books,

Skill >>>>> nationality.
Tofugrinder
Profile Joined September 2010
Austria899 Posts
June 16 2011 07:12 GMT
#60
fuck nationalists. I always get angry and immediately turn off the stream (or just recently dont watch the german casters anymore) when casters are "patriotic" aka fuckin nationalists when one of "their" country is playing
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 9 10 11 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 10h 11m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
LamboSC2 319
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 32607
Calm 6777
Rain 1775
Bisu 1679
Jaedong 692
FanTaSy 584
Horang2 557
BeSt 390
Rush 334
Stork 302
[ Show more ]
Soma 243
Zeus 193
Larva 156
Light 138
Free 125
Snow 120
ZerO 104
Mind 99
910 83
Barracks 75
Mong 74
Pusan 64
Killer 57
Sea.KH 49
Hyun 41
ToSsGirL 35
NaDa 33
Shinee 29
Sexy 23
Aegong 21
Hm[arnc] 18
sorry 18
Terrorterran 18
Noble 14
Sacsri 7
Icarus 1
Dota 2
Gorgc6738
Counter-Strike
fl0m2888
olofmeister1027
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King93
Other Games
gofns34203
singsing2113
B2W.Neo719
Lowko284
crisheroes277
hiko237
RotterdaM57
ZerO(Twitch)5
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 9
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix8
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2922
• Jankos2823
• TFBlade222
Other Games
• WagamamaTV179
Upcoming Events
OSC
10h 11m
Big Brain Bouts
21h 11m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 4h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 6h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 21h
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-08
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.