• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 03:00
CEST 09:00
KST 16:00
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Where can I find Flash replays that work? Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9313 users

Starcraft and Poker

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 7 8 9 Next All
Physician *
Profile Blog Joined January 2004
United States4146 Posts
Last Edited: 2004-12-22 11:52:47
December 22 2004 11:42 GMT
#1
This old post is unavailable due to an encoding issue. Please contact an admin if you would like this post restored for historical reasons.
"I have beheld the births of negative-suns and borne witness to the entropy of entire realities...."
Casper...
Profile Joined October 2002
Liberia4948 Posts
December 22 2004 11:50 GMT
#2
thx for your input
JAM THE FUCKER!
taeWook
Profile Joined February 2003
United States1367 Posts
December 22 2004 11:55 GMT
#3
a very good article, i agree 100 %
keep your friends close but your enemies closer.
J1
Profile Joined December 2004
Canada579 Posts
Last Edited: 2004-12-22 11:58:54
December 22 2004 11:55 GMT
#4
by reading what you have said, i will now play starcraft and won't gamble.
Playing games in the ways of the DIAO...
ProudCappi
Profile Joined October 2004
United States366 Posts
December 22 2004 11:57 GMT
#5
Nope.

People are responsible for their own actions. You can't blame the ad for the buyer of the product, as long as the ads are honest. Personal responsibility > blame games.
-proud capitalist- |freedom|property|individualism|self-reliance|
racebannon
Profile Joined January 2004
Canada1225 Posts
Last Edited: 2004-12-22 11:59:33
December 22 2004 11:59 GMT
#6
I'm curious where and when the starcraft community got so involved with online poker. I'm not for or against it, but it seemed to just crop up over night and now the two practically go hand in hand with the international SC community.

Who started it? when did it come to be? I know poker in general is rising in popularity but most other gaming circles I'm involved with have been untouched by this. It just seems to be a fad to me.

and I do agree with most of your sentiments, online poker is pretty much all about taking money from retards
when they really get to know you they will run
Physician *
Profile Blog Joined January 2004
United States4146 Posts
Last Edited: 2004-12-22 12:13:29
December 22 2004 12:07 GMT
#7
ProudCappi ~

I am blaming no one. Nor is my article a blame "game". Just giving good advice and it very unfortunate you should see it as a "balme game". People are responsible for their own actions. Agreed. Even the choice to use online gambling adds. But do not forget also that many of readers of tl.net are not adults, but under aged - this complicates the matter a little more than your simplistic comercial approach. This is not a blame game, it is just a call for improvement in our community. I am an adult with 3 children who all play pc games. I just got fed up when I saw one too many thread fostering online gambling. It is a bad trend and it is wrong for our community.

"I have beheld the births of negative-suns and borne witness to the entropy of entire realities...."
Pacifist
Profile Joined October 2003
Israel1683 Posts
December 22 2004 12:09 GMT
#8
I agree, and as a 16-year-old, I dont think it should advertise poker. Personally, I play poker with friends, but this online advertising thing just makes TL.net the wrong environment. However, the TL staff has to do whatever it has to do, and I would hate to see this great site go down.
Riding a bike is overrated.
ProudCappi
Profile Joined October 2004
United States366 Posts
December 22 2004 12:16 GMT
#9
Well, how do the kids sign up for online poker? Their parent's credit card. If the parents don't want them playing poker online, don't let them use it.

I agree that gambling can fuck up people's lives.

But it is still those people's fault. And it is the parents' fault if their kids play online poker when they don't want them to.
-proud capitalist- |freedom|property|individualism|self-reliance|
GTR
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
51694 Posts
December 22 2004 12:19 GMT
#10
i point to ilnp!
Commentator
Physician *
Profile Blog Joined January 2004
United States4146 Posts
Last Edited: 2004-12-22 12:24:03
December 22 2004 12:22 GMT
#11
Again it is not about whose fault it is. It is about influence, setting examples and doing the right thing. It is about putting a stop the insidiuos online gaming industry interest in our gamer community, not just Tl.net. It is about improving our community. Online gambling will not improve anyone here, so why foster it in any way?
"I have beheld the births of negative-suns and borne witness to the entropy of entire realities...."
superlyduper
Profile Joined August 2004
United States37 Posts
December 22 2004 12:25 GMT
#12
I agree for the most part, but there is a difference between the level of judgement and maturity between tl boards and blizzard boards
Physician *
Profile Blog Joined January 2004
United States4146 Posts
Last Edited: 2004-12-22 13:02:08
December 22 2004 12:26 GMT
#13
GTR-2-Go ~ is 12 years old. More mature than many 17 years olds I know but still 12. It does influence him to read threads about where to gamble and that some good starcraft players that turned to poker gambling. That is precisely why I wrote my point of view. It is not all fair and dandy with the online gambling industry. It is wrong for it to be here in our community.
"I have beheld the births of negative-suns and borne witness to the entropy of entire realities...."
Liquid`Nazgul
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
22427 Posts
December 22 2004 12:29 GMT
#14
at first I was thinking good article but as I read on I can only conclude you are very missinformed about both poker and StarCraft.
Administrator
draeger
Profile Joined July 2003
United States3256 Posts
Last Edited: 2004-12-22 12:30:52
December 22 2004 12:30 GMT
#15
My dreams have just been crushed... damn you!
t.t
IntoTheWow
Profile Blog Joined May 2004
is awesome32282 Posts
December 22 2004 12:36 GMT
#16
On December 22 2004 21:29 Liquid`Nazgul wrote:
at first I was thinking good article but as I read on I can only conclude you are very missinformed about both poker and StarCraft.


Enlighten us
Moderator<:3-/-<
Physician *
Profile Blog Joined January 2004
United States4146 Posts
Last Edited: 2004-12-22 12:41:30
December 22 2004 12:39 GMT
#17
~ nazgul

I am Entropy ~ a very misinformed guy about the starcraft community. I also have a little experience both in gambling addiction and online gambling fraud both from a medical and legal stance. It has been part of my training. I have always been a very active advocate agaisnt child abuse and gambling. Instead of rejecting my adivce out of the bat and discrediting it, use it. It is not bad advice for this site or any starcraft site at all.
"I have beheld the births of negative-suns and borne witness to the entropy of entire realities...."
J1
Profile Joined December 2004
Canada579 Posts
December 22 2004 12:42 GMT
#18
hey sup Entropy~
Playing games in the ways of the DIAO...
Izenra
Profile Joined October 2004
Canada679 Posts
December 22 2004 13:12 GMT
#19
hey im 17 and i played Nl HE .05/.1 10$ buy-in for the first time and i made 14 buck in 1.5 hour. Thank for your article, I did not gambled.

As you see I don't agree with you , talking for myself, cuz I am not a kid anymore and i know what im doing. But it's true that some kid can be influenced by that, and being talked in a sc site. But again, this is teamliquid, not a community sc-ONLY (like sc gamer :D), i think originially it was a bunch of friend who started the site, and it just grow big.

Maybe TL could put something with poker like warning , or not for child, etc
baal
Profile Joined March 2003
10708 Posts
December 22 2004 13:18 GMT
#20
Just play poker and win a bazilliontrillionwillion dollars like the gosus do because well, everybody wins gambling didnt you know?... everybody returns full handed from vegas and casinos are the worse business ever.
Im back, in pog form!
1 2 3 4 5 7 8 9 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 4h
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nina 158
StarCraft: Brood War
Hyuk 300
910 99
Yoon 48
ZergMaN 32
Bale 30
NotJumperer 17
yabsab 17
Icarus 11
League of Legends
JimRising 591
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King215
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor400
Other Games
summit1g7415
WinterStarcraft398
ceh9359
PiGStarcraft272
Happy218
Sick206
Livibee174
ArmadaUGS37
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick662
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream281
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2366
League of Legends
• Stunt529
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
4h
Stellar Fest
6h
The PondCast
1d 3h
OSC
1d 6h
Stellar Fest
1d 6h
OSC
1d 17h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
[ Show More ]
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.