• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 03:40
CEST 09:40
KST 16:40
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon106
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] 2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach Bot on ladder BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8601 users

Tree-Style forum commenting systems? (like reddit)

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
1 2 Next All
dodgepong
Profile Joined April 2010
United States50 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-21 04:46:23
February 21 2011 04:45 GMT
#1
I spend a lot of time on reddit, and I'm very accustomed to their "tree-style" commenting system. That is, replies to comments appear under the post they are replying to, and are indented. Comments are ordered by their rating, where better posts are higher in the list. See here for an example: http://www.reddit.com/r/starcraft/comments/fozgf/all_of_djwheats_shows_are_now_on_hiatus/

I've been thinking about forum formats a lot lately, as I am looking into building one on a site soon. I've noticed that TeamLiquid.net, of course, uses a more traditional linear-style commenting system, where comments appear chronologically, one after another.

Personally, after using reddit a lot, I have come to really enjoy reddit's style over the linear style. However, I realize this format may be unfamiliar to people who are more accustomed to the traditional linear format, such as TL's. So I wanted to find out what people more familiar with linear systems think of reddit's system, and what might be done to improve it or make it easier to use.

What do you think about reddit's tree-like system? Do you find it helpful, or confusing? If you think it's bad, what about it do you not like? If you like it, what do you like?
I'm just this guy, you know?
gtAbsentis
Profile Joined December 2010
Canada30 Posts
February 21 2011 04:51 GMT
#2
I'll be honest, I'm way more used to forums like TL so Reddit took me a while to get used to. It was minimal and the threaded comments were confusing.

Now I'm at the point where I wish I could up and down vote people on TL, but keep the great content on either side (ie calendar, news). I don't know, do you think those can co-exist dodgepong?
Bigpet
Profile Joined July 2010
Germany533 Posts
February 21 2011 04:52 GMT
#3
i think both styles have their merit. If there are multiple discussions going on in a thread, I'd prefer the tree style but if you only have one topic of discussion a chronological order is more helpful. The linear style also alows to reply to multiple posts as one.

I'd actually prefer to be able to switch between both but I know that this would lead to different posting behavior in the people who use different styles.
I'm NOT the caster with a similar nick
tbrown47
Profile Joined August 2009
United States1235 Posts
February 21 2011 04:55 GMT
#4
click the "Poll" button, scroll down to the very bottom!

THERE SHALLITH BEITH NO CHANGES
just here
dodgepong
Profile Joined April 2010
United States50 Posts
February 21 2011 04:57 GMT
#5
On February 21 2011 13:51 gtAbsentis wrote:
I'll be honest, I'm way more used to forums like TL so Reddit took me a while to get used to. It was minimal and the threaded comments were confusing.

Now I'm at the point where I wish I could up and down vote people on TL, but keep the great content on either side (ie calendar, news). I don't know, do you think those can co-exist dodgepong?


Thanks for the feedback. I think the sidebars like on TL with an upvote/downvote system can co-exist, to be sure. The issue, though is between whether the forum content should be listed chronologically or branching out from the comment it is in reply to.

You said that, at first, reddit was confusing. Do you know what, specifically, was confusing about it? What do you think could have helped you become less confused more quickly?
I'm just this guy, you know?
Bockit
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
Sydney2287 Posts
February 21 2011 04:57 GMT
#6
I feel like you get more of a continuous story in a linear forum thread. I can load up a thread from any point in time and know that when the 5th post was made they could only have read posts 1 2 3 and 4. In an ideal world where everyone read the thread before posting, you get to see the different points of view come up in an order and how the posters posting them interact with the differing points of view. You could work this out in a tree-based system but it's significantly more effort.

When I'm reading reddit I feel that it loses out on overall continuity with nested comments. On the other hand you have localised continuity for each topic of discussion regarding the original submission.
Their are four errors in this sentance.
dodgepong
Profile Joined April 2010
United States50 Posts
February 21 2011 04:58 GMT
#7
On February 21 2011 13:55 tbrown47 wrote:
click the "Poll" button, scroll down to the very bottom!

THERE SHALLITH BEITH NO CHANGES


I'll be honest, I don't understand what you're trying to say, here. :-/

Are you recommending that I add a poll to my OP?
I'm just this guy, you know?
Bockit
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
Sydney2287 Posts
February 21 2011 05:03 GMT
#8
On February 21 2011 13:58 dodgepong wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 21 2011 13:55 tbrown47 wrote:
click the "Poll" button, scroll down to the very bottom!

THERE SHALLITH BEITH NO CHANGES


I'll be honest, I don't understand what you're trying to say, here. :-/

Are you recommending that I add a poll to my OP?


He means go to older polls in the sidebar, scroll to the bottom and look at this poll, which looks to be the 2nd poll ever taken on this site.
Their are four errors in this sentance.
tbrown47
Profile Joined August 2009
United States1235 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-21 05:05:44
February 21 2011 05:03 GMT
#9
On February 21 2011 13:58 dodgepong wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 21 2011 13:55 tbrown47 wrote:
click the "Poll" button, scroll down to the very bottom!

THERE SHALLITH BEITH NO CHANGES


I'll be honest, I don't understand what you're trying to say, here. :-/

Are you recommending that I add a poll to my OP?


no, you see where the polls are at the right panel?

click the word Poll above it and it lists all polls, go to the very bottom :}

edit:

To give an actual opinion, I agree with Bockit. The thread tends to flow more when it is in this format rather than a tree-style format. While there are obvious advantages to both, I believe that for a forum that is meant for discussing strategies, this format works better.
just here
dodgepong
Profile Joined April 2010
United States50 Posts
February 21 2011 05:05 GMT
#10
On February 21 2011 13:57 Bockit wrote:
I feel like you get more of a continuous story in a linear forum thread. I can load up a thread from any point in time and know that when the 5th post was made they could only have read posts 1 2 3 and 4. In an ideal world where everyone read the thread before posting, you get to see the different points of view come up in an order and how the posters posting them interact with the differing points of view. You could work this out in a tree-based system but it's significantly more effort.

When I'm reading reddit I feel that it loses out on overall continuity with nested comments. On the other hand you have localised continuity for each topic of discussion regarding the original submission.


Thanks, those are some great thoughts.

For you personally, do you tend to read through a linear post from start to finish? Or do you scan through for the best posts? Also, which format do you think would be best for the type of discussions one might find in, say, the strategy forums?

Perhaps it boils down to a fundamental difference of understanding of what a forum post is supposed to be like. One disadvantage to the linear style that I have experienced is that sometimes, I don't want to read through all 20 pages of a thread - I want to know what the meat of the discussion is and bypass the fluff. But that means I miss out on the "story" you describe. Is the story worth following in order to get to those best bits, even if a thread is really long?
I'm just this guy, you know?
SlapMySalami
Profile Joined August 2010
United States1060 Posts
February 21 2011 05:13 GMT
#11
I don't think the tree style is good for discussion at all. It seems to be better for lols and for craptastic threads. If reddit is represented by 1 group mindset such as everyone thinks abortion should be illegal/legal you will only get 1 side of the votes because the others are voted down. I have not been on reddit and I do not know if that is the case but how would that problem be avoidable
marineking will u huk my bigtt1 ilu
Spekulatius
Profile Joined January 2011
Germany2413 Posts
February 21 2011 05:15 GMT
#12
1. I agree with Bockit.

2. The reddit system pays its post-linking appearance system with the fact that it looks a bit messy which would be even worse in TL where many posts are big. With 2-liners it looks neat, once you have posts that take a whole screen, the clarity and lucidity gets lost.
Always smile~
elmizzt
Profile Joined February 2010
United States3309 Posts
February 21 2011 05:16 GMT
#13
On February 21 2011 14:05 dodgepong wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 21 2011 13:57 Bockit wrote:
I feel like you get more of a continuous story in a linear forum thread. I can load up a thread from any point in time and know that when the 5th post was made they could only have read posts 1 2 3 and 4. In an ideal world where everyone read the thread before posting, you get to see the different points of view come up in an order and how the posters posting them interact with the differing points of view. You could work this out in a tree-based system but it's significantly more effort.

When I'm reading reddit I feel that it loses out on overall continuity with nested comments. On the other hand you have localised continuity for each topic of discussion regarding the original submission.


Thanks, those are some great thoughts.

For you personally, do you tend to read through a linear post from start to finish? Or do you scan through for the best posts? Also, which format do you think would be best for the type of discussions one might find in, say, the strategy forums?

Perhaps it boils down to a fundamental difference of understanding of what a forum post is supposed to be like. One disadvantage to the linear style that I have experienced is that sometimes, I don't want to read through all 20 pages of a thread - I want to know what the meat of the discussion is and bypass the fluff. But that means I miss out on the "story" you describe. Is the story worth following in order to get to those best bits, even if a thread is really long?

In my opinion, it is the responsibility of the reader to ensure that he has read EVERY single post in a discussion-based thread before he posts a reply, whether he is the first responder, or if the thread is 80 pages long. It's just arrogant to think that your post is worthy of being read while not deigning to read others' contributions. Of course this excludes threads along the lines of a live-report, or a youtube thread, but those are relatively few.
d=(^_^)z
SecondChance
Profile Joined December 2010
Australia603 Posts
February 21 2011 05:20 GMT
#14
I like TL how it is tbh.
I see the want to in your eyes.
SonuvBob
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Aiur21552 Posts
February 21 2011 05:25 GMT
#15
Gonna move this to website feedback in a bit, but I'll leave it here for a few minutes so it doesn't just die. :p
Administrator
ROOTheognis
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
United States4482 Posts
February 21 2011 05:28 GMT
#16
wat's the link to screddit's forum? i've never been there
If you avoid your weakness, it will remain your weakness. www.twitter.com/#!/rootheognis Follow me!
elmizzt
Profile Joined February 2010
United States3309 Posts
February 21 2011 05:31 GMT
#17
On February 21 2011 14:28 YoiChiBow wrote:
wat's the link to screddit's forum? i've never been there

Read the OP, theres a big link there to an example: http://www.reddit.com/r/starcraft/comments/fozgf/all_of_djwheats_shows_are_now_on_hiatus/
d=(^_^)z
aimaimaim
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Philippines2167 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-21 05:31:25
February 21 2011 05:31 GMT
#18
http://www.teamliquid.net/poll/index.php?poll_id=9

read please ..

you are trying to change history
Religion is a dying idea .. || 'E-sport' outside Korea are nerds who wants to feel like rockstars. || I'm not gonna fuck with trolls on General Forum ever again .. FUCK!
yamato77
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
11589 Posts
February 21 2011 05:33 GMT
#19
Another thing to mention about the style that the reddit forums employ is that up/down-voting promotes a general bandwagon-mentality with posting and can easily devolve an argument into a popularity contest. After all, allowing each and every person an ability to affect the visibility of a post creates a system where the biases of the many overrule the often valid points of the minority, leading to more and more people reading like-minded comments and promoting them. I call it the circle-jerk effect.

Obviously, linear/chronological posting is much more favorable, however difficult it may be to keep track of the person you are responding to on a consistent basis in a fast-moving thread. Quoting and post-tracking help this problem quite a bit. While a tree system (sans up/down-voting) would eliminate it altogether, the benefit of being able to contextually identify the basic points of conversations that occur chronologically is just as important to me.
Writer@WriterYamato
dodgepong
Profile Joined April 2010
United States50 Posts
February 21 2011 05:36 GMT
#20
Just to make a correction, I am not suggesting TL change to tree-style at all. I am just getting a pulse from a community of people who is accustomed to linear-style. This is not website feedback on TL itself, technically speaking. This is feedback on the general philosophy of a forum.
I'm just this guy, you know?
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 20m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SortOf 153
StarCraft: Brood War
actioN 859
HiyA 173
Mong 52
Shine 44
Bale 32
NotJumperer 30
Noble 7
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm194
League of Legends
JimRising 560
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 845
Heroes of the Storm
WinterStarcraft758
Other Games
summit1g9051
olofmeister575
ceh9445
PiGStarcraft351
Happy281
Livibee137
ArmadaUGS35
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick518
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream492
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH239
• LUISG 11
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 3
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2387
League of Legends
• Lourlo1319
• Rush1313
• Stunt466
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2h 20m
Afreeca Starleague
2h 20m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
16h 20m
Kung Fu Cup
1d 3h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.