• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:36
CEST 11:36
KST 18:36
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8804 users

[D]Perception test and sc2

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 Next All
crappen
Profile Joined April 2010
Norway1546 Posts
August 31 2010 11:21 GMT
#1


Many of you have already done this test, but still, it seems to be a valid point in sc2. How often have you not scouted looking hard for lets say a robobay and totally misses 1 or even 2 stargates? I admit, I have done that.
What training can we put ourself in too, to not fall into this trap? Relaxing more and simply be aware of the issue? Having map and scout awareness is one of the most important things, but when I can get fooled so easy by this video, and also in sc2 in my experience, I simply do not know what I can work on to be better at it.

I have one idea, that is automating your macro to free your focus from it. To make an example, driving a car is actually hard in traffic, but over the years the driving gets as easy and automatic as walking the sideway. So one solution might be to just automate your macro and playstyle so you can free your focus up and notice all the different aspect of the game.

It would be helpful if you gave me some insight into this, as I often find myself in this trap of focusing hard on spawning larva, spreading creep and getting drones and expansions up. I have sometimes even scouted his entire bio army, and not done a single thing about it, like making a banelings and infestors, granted this is not something that happens often, but sometimes my mind just goes into lockdown. I also failed in the videotest above lol, only knowing how many passes and did not see any gorilla or anything else.

Any advice is appreciated
Mortician
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Bulgaria2332 Posts
August 31 2010 11:26 GMT
#2
I never scout like that. When I scout I often ask myself the question "what do I see?" that way I dont miss much
"If anything, the skill cap in sc2 is higher [than sc1] because there are a lot more things you can do at one given time. " darmousseh
kickinhead
Profile Joined December 2008
Switzerland2069 Posts
August 31 2010 11:27 GMT
#3
On August 31 2010 20:26 Mortician wrote:
I never scout like that. When I scout I often ask myself the question "what do I see?" that way I dont miss much


Me2
https://soundcloud.com/thesamplethief
floor exercise
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
Canada5847 Posts
August 31 2010 11:42 GMT
#4
I noticed the blonde girl leave because I was scoutin dat ass the whole video
Eluadyl
Profile Joined May 2010
Turkey364 Posts
August 31 2010 13:33 GMT
#5
I knew there would be a gorilla because I read about it before. This is the first time I actually watch it and saw the gorilla. Therefore even if you scout for the robobay, since you already know about the gates you should be able to spot them. Or maybe not but it feels natural to me.
Not enough energy
storm44
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
1293 Posts
August 31 2010 13:45 GMT
#6
I think you should not expect to see things... I never had this problem and cant you look at the base later to see any buildings that you might have missed?
piegasm
Profile Joined August 2010
United States266 Posts
August 31 2010 13:48 GMT
#7
I think what you're saying is, once the basics are second nature to you, you'll notice more when you scout. I'd have to agree with that. The less you have to consciously remind yourself to spawn larva, the more room there will be in your head (so to speak) for interpreting what your scouts see.

I've noticed that myself the more I play. At first, simply making units constantly required so much of my concentration that I was lucky to even remember to check on my scout before it died, let alone make any sense of what I saw. As time goes by, the basics require less focus and I can check on my scout and understand what I see a lot better.
baconbits
Profile Joined April 2010
United States419 Posts
August 31 2010 14:05 GMT
#8
I think the correct answer is don't assume anything when you scout. That way you won't be expecting one thing, and miss another.
Onlinejaguar
Profile Joined April 2010
Australia2823 Posts
August 31 2010 14:06 GMT
#9
I saw the Gorilla and the curtain but i missed the person leaving the game. But as this relates to starcraft i do see myself getting better at scouting as my mechanics become alot more natural.
Ichabod
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1659 Posts
August 31 2010 14:09 GMT
#10
Missed the color changing, got everything else though first run

When scouting, focus on "tech" if you don't see "tech," how many basic production facilities does he have?
Latham
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
9592 Posts
August 31 2010 14:11 GMT
#11
Missed curtains, other than that got everything.
For the curse of life is the curse of want. PC = https://be.pcpartpicker.com/user/LathamTK/builds/#view=CrqmP6
tacrats
Profile Joined July 2010
476 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-31 14:19:31
August 31 2010 14:19 GMT
#12
That video is a joke. Its pretty flawed. Hey look for this stuff ok? Sure. Oh by the way did you catch this stuff? No because i was concentrating on what you asked me to do. If it said also be on the lookout for other things then ya it would be no problem.
x7i
Profile Joined July 2010
United Kingdom122 Posts
August 31 2010 14:26 GMT
#13
On August 31 2010 20:42 floor exercise wrote:
I noticed the blonde girl leave because I was scoutin dat ass the whole video

ay, but whats the chatter about the ball, was there anything else on the vid?? oO
Redmark
Profile Joined March 2010
Canada2129 Posts
August 31 2010 15:14 GMT
#14
On August 31 2010 23:19 tacrats wrote:
That video is a joke. Its pretty flawed. Hey look for this stuff ok? Sure. Oh by the way did you catch this stuff? No because i was concentrating on what you asked me to do. If it said also be on the lookout for other things then ya it would be no problem.

That's... kind of the point. It shows that people get tunnel vision when they concentrate on any one thing. If you're scouting with your observer and missing the huge drop in your main you can't write it away by saying 'oh I was concentrated on scouting that doesn't count'. That gorilla is not exactly hidden.
Badjas
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Netherlands2038 Posts
August 31 2010 15:18 GMT
#15
caught the monkey and the black team member stepping out. missed the curtain color change. totally didn't expect that, which I guess is the contributing factor.
I <3 the internet, I <3 you
shannn
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Netherlands2891 Posts
August 31 2010 15:19 GMT
#16
rofl how can people not miss the gorilla and the girl leaving ....
The curtain did catch my eye but I can understand why people would miss that (slow transition) but the gorilla and the girl ?!?!?!?

What does that say about me then?
And I saw other videos from after that video (the one with the lamp I think) and I was still like it's a lamp with a little plant in the room no?
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewpost.php?post_id=6321864 Epic post.
tacrats
Profile Joined July 2010
476 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-31 15:21:31
August 31 2010 15:21 GMT
#17
On September 01 2010 00:14 Redmark wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 31 2010 23:19 tacrats wrote:
That video is a joke. Its pretty flawed. Hey look for this stuff ok? Sure. Oh by the way did you catch this stuff? No because i was concentrating on what you asked me to do. If it said also be on the lookout for other things then ya it would be no problem.

That's... kind of the point. It shows that people get tunnel vision when they concentrate on any one thing. If you're scouting with your observer and missing the huge drop in your main you can't write it away by saying 'oh I was concentrated on scouting that doesn't count'. That gorilla is not exactly hidden.


Sorry but no. In sc you have to be aware of everything that is happening... of anything that can be in someones base or happening on screen. You know tunnel vision in sc isnt acceptable.

However in a youtube video that says hey we are going to test your perception, we want you to count the number of passes then thats all i am going to do. being aware of everything else happening in that video isnt even relevant because the only relevant thing is passes. So i just watched the ball.

NonY
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
8751 Posts
August 31 2010 15:32 GMT
#18
On September 01 2010 00:14 Redmark wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 31 2010 23:19 tacrats wrote:
That video is a joke. Its pretty flawed. Hey look for this stuff ok? Sure. Oh by the way did you catch this stuff? No because i was concentrating on what you asked me to do. If it said also be on the lookout for other things then ya it would be no problem.

That's... kind of the point. It shows that people get tunnel vision when they concentrate on any one thing. If you're scouting with your observer and missing the huge drop in your main you can't write it away by saying 'oh I was concentrated on scouting that doesn't count'. That gorilla is not exactly hidden.

But there are different objectives. When playing a game of SC, the objective is to win. Most people believe that paying attention to everything at once is the best way to win. Tunnel vision is on winning the game, not on particular things in the game.

A test more relevant to SC2 would ask the viewer to pay attention to everything: the types of passes, the people who were doing them, the number of passes, and any other changes going on. If people naturally prioritize one thing over another without having reason for it, and causing an overall lower performance, then we might learn a lesson useful for SC.
"Fucking up is part of it. If you can't fail, you have to always win. And I don't think you can always win." Elliott Smith ---------- Yet no sudden rage darkened his face, and his eyes were calm as they studied her. Then he smiled. 'Witness.'
Gecko
Profile Joined August 2010
United States519 Posts
August 31 2010 15:38 GMT
#19
I hate scouting in PvP and seeing nothing, im always like DAMN 2GATE PROXIED AGAIN. But seriously, as long as you focus on what you see and not what you think you should see i don't think you would miss anything when scouting.
MiraMax
Profile Joined July 2009
Germany532 Posts
August 31 2010 15:48 GMT
#20
After 12 hours of playing all I see is gorillas o.0
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 25m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech21
StarCraft: Brood War
Zeus 410
Horang2 320
Larva 269
EffOrt 247
Mind 65
Hyun 55
scan(afreeca) 47
sorry 45
Pusan 43
ggaemo 43
[ Show more ]
Killer 42
Bale 41
NotJumperer 37
Sharp 33
Sacsri 19
Shinee 19
Barracks 18
Hm[arnc] 12
Noble 5
Dota 2
febbydoto103
League of Legends
JimRising 404
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1240
edward178
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King105
Other Games
summit1g7831
ceh9663
Happy450
crisheroes193
Sick154
dupreeh76
Pyrionflax7
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick557
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream33
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• killerbeecast5
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2282
League of Legends
• Jankos1076
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
25m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1h 25m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
14h 25m
Patches Events
1d 6h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.