• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:09
CEST 05:09
KST 12:09
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Recent patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Rp8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 5892 users

What do you do to get out of a slump?

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 Next All
westy81585
Profile Joined July 2010
28 Posts
July 19 2010 15:16 GMT
#1
So early last week, I could do no wrong. In a two day stretch I went 14-3 with platinum/low diamond level players using the same basic strategy of rushing to attack with my first zealot and a probe, and then sending a solid stream of zealots from a pair of gateways to my opponents base to keep him distracted... whilst teching to voids in the back of my base. The zealots almost never killed them, but it put them off long enough that when 2-3 voids showed up at their mineral line it was usually GG.

Well this weekend, I did just incredibly awful. Including team games I probably went 5-12 or so (still in the same plat/low diamond area). First I tried mixing it up and getting away from my strategy, because I know that at some point I'm going to be facing players good enough to counter that no problem. My goals to better myself failed miserably for 5-6 games. No matter what I did I just could not win a game to save my life, it seemed the opponent always managed to have the perfect counter or things always went their way. So I went back to my strat, and maybe I'm just messing up the build order now, but even that isn't working very well. With my old strat I managed to go like 1-2, and the victory wasn't nearly as decisive as they usually be (I had to chase a probe around and blow up a bunch of pylons while he was out hunting for my hidden expansion with his remaining troops). Worst of all in team games with my friends, I'm like the weakest link. Even if I'm doing just fine or just as good as they are, the enemy tend to group attack me, or cannon rush me, or anything and I just always manage to fall for it.

So basically, what do YOU do to get out of a slump similar to this? I'm thinking about mixing up the races a bit...
rS.Sinatra
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada785 Posts
July 19 2010 15:17 GMT
#2
take a break
www.rsgaming.com
cr4ckshot
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States291 Posts
July 19 2010 15:19 GMT
#3
Back away from the game and let your mind rest. You're getting frustrated and making mistakes. Although, beta is closing soon so I don't know if you want to take my advice lol.
Bob300
Profile Joined April 2010
United States505 Posts
July 19 2010 15:23 GMT
#4
Well once you get more points you verse better players, who could probably stop that strategy. If you are making dumb mistakes go to 2v2 or 3v3 or 4v4 or even custom games to ease your mind.
NYC Suburbs --- College Freshman --- Season 1 - Drone Whiskey
deth2munkies
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4051 Posts
July 19 2010 15:24 GMT
#5
Customs. I play nexus wars or team micro arena or something for a little while, then start it up again. If I'm still slumping, I just take a break.
HubertFelix
Profile Joined April 2010
France631 Posts
July 19 2010 15:27 GMT
#6
When I'm in a lose streak I just take a break. The following day it's just gone.
It's not like I was a pro gamer who can lose his confidence for weeks. I'm just playing ladder for fun, so my lose streaks are mostly about being nervous after too much games.
Peekay.switch
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada285 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-19 15:31:01
July 19 2010 15:29 GMT
#7
As Day[9] said, relying on a "Trick" to win the game isn't going to get you extremely far.

However, who knows, maybe 2 Gate into Void Ray is a really reliable strategy. However, you need to go watch your replays and learn why you lost exactly, not just say "Well damn, my gimmick didn't work, let's try again". Go see which part of your plan failed.

"Well, because of my early zealots, he was extremely heavy on marines and marines will wreak Void rays given there is enough of them. If I See he's got a lot of marines, maybe Void rays isn't the best tech path to choose."

From there, experiment, play with what you feel comfortable.
"Well since I'm pressuring him, maybe I Should set my own expansion, or maybe I Could get a Robo and get some Immortal to either Break his front, of Tech to Collosus because I Forced him to get a lot of marines. I Could also abuse Blink stalkers and attack at 2 places at the same time"

The time spent watching the replay is usually the time you need for a small break, I Often go for a small walk after a lose and analyze the game in my end a bit.

And usually, players will find suspicious that you are sending only zealots from 2 gates and nothing else, they will know something is up.

TelecoM
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States10861 Posts
July 19 2010 15:33 GMT
#8
practice, motivation, intuition , drive...... relax =)

meditate
AKA: TelecoM[WHITE] Protoss fighting
Whole
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States6046 Posts
July 19 2010 15:33 GMT
#9
You are probably not good at standard play. While your initial build is hardly cheese, I'm sure you didn't have a follow-up and counted to win each and every time. If you want to get good, start practicing one safe and solid build for each match-up. (same build for multiple match-ups are better) A lot of good gamers say this.

I believe a 3 Gate Robo Push (expanding while pushing) is a good Toss strategy for each match-up. It is predictable, but it works and helps you practice the fundamentals of the game.

For your 2v2 troubles: I think Protoss have the hardest time if they get double cheesed. A wall-in blocks a 6 pool, but a fast Stalker blocks a proxy Reaper. It is hard to get both. Try to do a 10 Gate Pressure build and have your partner do an aggressive (but not cheese) build too. This is good against cheese and good against turtle players.

As for mixing up races, I would try it in case you naturally feel better with another race. If you just outright hate the race though, I wouldn't pursue.

When you're in a slump, try finding out what is going wrong. I was in a slump recently. I noticed that I was just constantly losing to all-in pushes. I practiced that and now I'm doing well. If it is just everything, try taking a break.
westy81585
Profile Joined July 2010
28 Posts
July 19 2010 15:37 GMT
#10
When I was doing it early last week, that strategy was incredibly effective. All three losses were to terran who had properly walled off/made enough marines to beat the voids.

But if a terran didn't wall off properly/quickly enough, that first lot/probe would win the game. One lot will take out 2-3 marines, even when kited. Steady stream and he doesn't get his wall up, you win. If he does though, I'm usually already in the void tech tree so I stick with it, and its about 50/50 from there.

Now the strategy DOES leave you open to being able to continue to tech elsewhere (usually while attacking with the voids you have plenty of money so I throw down a robo and another gateway). But I've never gotten past that. Either I win with my voids, or they counter and win.

Though like I said, it hasn't exactly been going swimmingly well the last few days. But then again, I had been trying other strats for the most part.
Takkara
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2503 Posts
July 19 2010 15:38 GMT
#11
If you really like your zealot into Void Ray plan, then you need to stop and think about what you're losing to. How can you make what you're doing more robust against the things that you're losing to. Look at the replays. Why did you lose? Did you invest too much in tech and they didn't and their large army destroyed yours? Should you not stream Zealots but build up a particular amount of them for a larger, more potent attack? Did you expo? Should you expo? Did they expo? How should you adjust what you do for that?

If you're not reacting to what your opponent is doing then your strategy isn't very robust. Your "plan" isn't bad, but it's unrefined. Now that you're losing you have the data you need to start to refine it. You can't refine something when it's just beating people, but when you start losing you can start to figure out why and how to adjust it.

That's the only true way to break out of a "slump," fix what you're losing to. It'd be different if you were playing very standard and losing because of a series of bad micro mistakes or boneheaded mistakes (like making a Reactor as Terran instead of a Tech Lab in a major tournament game). Then you might just need to clear your head with some fun team games or custom games, or something outside of SC2.

What you describe though isn't a slump, it's just the very first step in refining a strategy.
Gee gee gee gee baby baby baby
The_Pacifist
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States540 Posts
July 19 2010 15:41 GMT
#12
Beta's going down today and no one will get to play for about a week. Then, the game will be released, but you'll probably be more interested in the campaign for the first few days.

By the time you're ready for multiplayer again, you'll have forgotten about your bad luck streak and the influx of new players will lower the general skill level by such a degree that you won't have to worry about another unlucky run.
Johnranger-123
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United Kingdom341 Posts
July 19 2010 15:41 GMT
#13
Confidence can be a bad thing.
If you're trying something new that you're not used to executing you're not gonna magically know what to do in every situation. Usually if you're not getting frustrated and making mistakes because of that you can keep playing and experimenting, otherwise just chill and take a break its suppose to be fun not increadably taxing
Onlinejaguar
Profile Joined April 2010
Australia2823 Posts
July 19 2010 15:42 GMT
#14
Yeh i have been going 3 gate to robo just about every game. It really helps to just get the fundamentals down so when you do lose you wont be so frustrated and flustered going into the next game.

Just have a specific Build order and use it over and over until it feels natural then you can learn to branch off that and do some more creative and varying strategies.
kasumimi
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
Greece460 Posts
July 19 2010 15:54 GMT
#15
Watch Day[9]. Slump cured next day.
BaaL`
Profile Joined May 2010
297 Posts
July 19 2010 16:07 GMT
#16
Dont assume your build (trick?) will win outright. Up to a certain level of opponents it probably will, but you cant expect to just win agains good Terrans with this.

Try to figure a way to play after your push, likely involving expanding.

That said, I think more than 1 VR at the start is a bit cheesy. I dont know about PvP or PvZ, but Terrans can definitely hold with marines and then push you to death.
danl9rm
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States3111 Posts
July 19 2010 16:10 GMT
#17
I don't know how to stop if I lose. I get upset, and I hit Find Match again. If I win, it's much harder to keep going, but if I lose, I always play again.
"Science has so well established that the preborn baby in the womb is a living human being that most pro-choice activists have conceded the point. ..since the abortion proponents have lost the science argument, they are now advocating an existential one."
Chairman Ray
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States11903 Posts
July 19 2010 16:10 GMT
#18
The higher ELO you go, the less using a single strategy works. You opponent will scout you and respond to you accordingly. What you need to do is be very versitile in your play and playing to counter your opponent instead of using your own strategy and hoping your opponent doesn't counter you.
Powster
Profile Joined April 2010
United States650 Posts
July 19 2010 16:39 GMT
#19
Getting off is what I do.. sometimes I just am being a retard not checking proxies / getting supply blocked 24/7 and stuff so I get off.
CryMore
Profile Joined March 2010
United States497 Posts
July 19 2010 17:03 GMT
#20
I play some FFAs where I mass battlecruisers into mass nukes. 5 nukes dropping on every nexus at the same time makes me love starcraft again after a horrible losing streak.
"What wins? 3-base Protoss or 2-base Zerg?" "1-base Terran"
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 6h 51m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2418
NotJumperer 11
Noble 10
Dota 2
monkeys_forever992
NeuroSwarm215
Heroes of the Storm
WinterStarcraft132
Other Games
summit1g6748
Coldzera 785
JimRising 629
C9.Mang0377
PiGStarcraft273
ArmadaUGS43
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick983
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream313
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Letter148
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo581
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6h 51m
Afreeca Starleague
6h 51m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
20h 51m
Kung Fu Cup
1d 7h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.