• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 06:27
CEST 12:27
KST 19:27
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)55Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8751 users

[Interview] Avalon MSL Final Winner's Interview

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 Next All
ghostWriter
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States3302 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-08-30 13:29:28
August 30 2009 13:16 GMT
#1
(Z)Calm: "I will become a player that never gives up!"
"I will continue with my spirited play in the next season."


[image loading]



-How do you feel about capturing your first title in an individual league?
▲It has always been my dream to ascend onto the stage for the finals. I am thrilled at having my dream turned into reality and to actually win this tournament. Although there were many hardships along the way, since I never thought of giving up and since I had an enjoyable time, I was able to obtain the title. I am really happy!

-What were your first thoughts after you won?
▲The first thing I thought of was myself, holding that trophy. After that, I thought of my family.

-You debuted as a gamer with your older brother, (Z)ToSky.
▲At first,I had no thoughts of becoming a gamer, but my brother took me to a tournament. I guess he thought he would be lonely if he went alone. But I found that Starcraft was fun, so I started practicing and I was able to get my progamer's license. So my career as a progamer is mostly due to my older brother's influence.

-It seems that you had an even stronger sense of responsibility, since your brother retired.
▲I really would have liked it if my brother (hyung) had been successful as a gamer as well. Since he wasn't, I feel that I have to play twice as well, for both his sake and for mine.

-This can be seen as the first time that a 2v2 player has won a starleague.
▲At the time, I was the only player on my team that could play 2v2, so I had to make a sacrifice. But after 2v2 was removed from the proleague, there was a condition that I would be able to concentrate on the individual leagues. Even when I was playing 2v2, my manager and my coach helped me a lot and I never gave up my individual goals. Although I was playing for my team, since I kept being ambitious, I was able to win a tournament like this.

-It seems that your victory over (Z)Jaedong in the round of 4 also contributed greatly to preparing you for the finals.
▲Most people thought that I would lose and even I thought that I would have to practice very hard just to make the probability for victory a 50/50 chance. But after I beat Jaedong, I became very confident and was able to change my mindset.

-In this FA, your salary went up drastically, did that help you win?
▲My team raised my pay like that because that's how much they think I'm worth. So for each game I play, I think about my salary and that I have to play at the level that they deserve. With this in mind, I have to practice even harder whenever I am scheduled to play a game.

-(Z)Jaedong had an interview where he said that he wanted you to win as well.
▲Well, I am the player that knocked him out of the tournament and he used to be the only one dragging the Zerg race behind him. He probably said he wanted me to win so that he could share the heavy burden that he's been carrying all this time (laughs).

-Now you have some time to relax before proleague starts up again. How will you spend your extra time?
▲Although they call it vacation, they only give us a little time before we have to start practicing for the new maps again. Although we were only able to reach 3rd place in the last season, both my teammates and I will practice hard so that we can win in the finals.

-How will you spend your prize money?
▲There have been many people that have helped me, so I will treat them to a nice meal and save the rest of it.

-How will you prepare for the next season?
▲The proleague is always number one in priority. Our team has never been able to win in the proleague before so this season, we will focus completely on it. However, I think that we will be able to have a decent showing in the individual leagues, even if we have to prepare in our spare time.

-Do you have any last words that you would like to share?
▲I would like to thank both (Z)by.hero and (Z)Modesty from my team, as well as (Z)ZerO from woongjin and (Z)815 from KT who helped me practice like it was their job. My presence at the finals can also be attributed to my coaching staff, whose faith in me was a huge help. I also want to thank the fans that have always supported me and I would like to tell my family that I love them.

Source: Calm's Original Interview on Fomos
Sullifam
l10f *
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States3241 Posts
August 30 2009 13:21 GMT
#2
He practiced with Zero?

Anyway, very nicely done!
Writer
So no fek
Profile Blog Joined June 2005
United States3001 Posts
August 30 2009 13:22 GMT
#3
Thanks for the translation. :D
#1 Shuttle fan - TeamLiquid CJ Entusman #36 BW4lyfe
thedeadhaji *
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
39489 Posts
August 30 2009 13:24 GMT
#4
cool stuff~ definitely watned calm to win
JWD
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States12607 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-08-30 13:32:54
August 30 2009 13:32 GMT
#5
Thanks for the translation ghostWriter. This answer confirms PL's utter dominance right now:

On August 30 2009 22:16 Calm wrote:
-How will you prepare for the next season?
▲The proleague is always number one in priority. Our team has never been able to win in the proleague before so this season, we will focus completely on it. However, I think that we will be able to have a decent showing in the individual leagues, even if we have to prepare in our spare time.

The OSL and MSL just don't mean what they used to.
✌
captainwaffles
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
United States1050 Posts
August 30 2009 13:53 GMT
#6
Thanks for the translation man, good shit, but damn why do all the koreans give such dull answers?
https://x.com/CaptainWaffless
fnaticNoname
Profile Joined January 2008
India858 Posts
August 30 2009 13:58 GMT
#7
Congrats to him and thanks for the translations
pripple
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Finland1714 Posts
August 30 2009 14:24 GMT
#8
Congrats to Calm once again, makes me wonder how the hell he won if he trained with Zero ;p

Thanks for the translation!
Jaedong! <> Team MVP <> Mouz.
GoSu
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Korea (South)1773 Posts
August 30 2009 14:30 GMT
#9
Congrats to calm!
#1 olleh KT 팬 http://sports.kt.com/ | #1 김택용 선수 팬 | 좋은 선수: 송병구, 이제동, 도제욱, 정명훈, 이성은 | KeSPA 한국 e-Sports 협회
dmfg
Profile Joined May 2008
United Kingdom591 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-08-30 14:40:40
August 30 2009 14:40 GMT
#10
Congrats to Calm! Though I have to say, as a diehard Jaedong fan, this really hits a sore spot:

On August 30 2009 22:16 calm wrote:My team raised my pay like that because that's how much they think I'm worth.


It's good that some players are getting paid fairly thanks to FA, but still :-/
BookTwo
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
1985 Posts
August 30 2009 14:48 GMT
#11
yay for calm. I like him
Plexa
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
Aotearoa39261 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-08-30 14:51:26
August 30 2009 14:51 GMT
#12
On August 30 2009 22:32 JWD wrote:
Thanks for the translation ghostWriter. This answer confirms PL's utter dominance right now:

Show nested quote +
On August 30 2009 22:16 Calm wrote:
-How will you prepare for the next season?
▲The proleague is always number one in priority. Our team has never been able to win in the proleague before so this season, we will focus completely on it. However, I think that we will be able to have a decent showing in the individual leagues, even if we have to prepare in our spare time.

The OSL and MSL just don't mean what they used to.

Only when the camera is watching JWD!
It has always been my dream to ascend onto the stage for the finals. I am thrilled at having my dream turned into reality and to actually win this tournament.
Administrator~ Spirit will set you free ~
ArvickHero
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
10387 Posts
August 30 2009 15:32 GMT
#13
that shirt does not handle liquid well at all
Writerptrk
DreaM)XeRO
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Korea (South)4667 Posts
August 30 2009 15:33 GMT
#14
GOGO! Calm.
it was the worst MSL ever
but at least you got a medal
cw)minsean(ru
JWD
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States12607 Posts
August 30 2009 15:45 GMT
#15
On August 30 2009 23:51 Plexa wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 30 2009 22:32 JWD wrote:
Thanks for the translation ghostWriter. This answer confirms PL's utter dominance right now:

On August 30 2009 22:16 Calm wrote:
-How will you prepare for the next season?
▲The proleague is always number one in priority. Our team has never been able to win in the proleague before so this season, we will focus completely on it. However, I think that we will be able to have a decent showing in the individual leagues, even if we have to prepare in our spare time.

The OSL and MSL just don't mean what they used to.

Only when the camera is watching JWD!
Show nested quote +
It has always been my dream to ascend onto the stage for the finals. I am thrilled at having my dream turned into reality and to actually win this tournament.

You can easily say the same for that second quote...of course Calm is going to say it was his dream to win the tournament he just won. But a statement like "The Proleague is always number one in priority," especially because it wasn't in response to a leading question, is hard to interpret as pandering to "the camera" rather than fact.
✌
omninmo
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
2349 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-08-30 15:53:27
August 30 2009 15:52 GMT
#16
Calm was involved in a large percentage of this year's most entertaining matches. He was always one of my favorite sleeper players and no one deserves a starleague more than him... no one... not even phantasy.

EDIT: 1337 post!
Avidkeystamper
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States8556 Posts
August 30 2009 16:11 GMT
#17
Wow, that was quick given how he just started to perform this season.
Jaedong
alffla
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Hong Kong20321 Posts
August 30 2009 16:11 GMT
#18
o0 cool thanks for translaterion!! :D:D
never knew tosky was his bro! :O
Graphicssavior[gm] : What is a “yawn” rape ;; Masumune - It was the year of the pig for those fucking defilers. Chill - A clinic you say? okum: SC without Korean yelling is like porn without sex. konamix: HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOMMY!
theuser
Profile Joined June 2008
Romania176 Posts
August 30 2009 16:17 GMT
#19
nice interview..but when will the new proleague season start? how many days of vacation do they have?
AlwaysGG
Profile Joined March 2009
Taiwan952 Posts
August 30 2009 16:20 GMT
#20
nice this will bring STX spirit up for the proleauge season july is not the only one with indv title now
Trust 神教教主 FlaSh | Believe 火心 EffOrt
1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 33m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SpeCial 20
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 29876
firebathero 2332
Bisu 750
Hyuk 536
Horang2 408
BeSt 205
Larva 200
EffOrt 122
Light 108
Leta 99
[ Show more ]
Soma 98
Mini 71
Sexy 67
Rush 67
Killer 66
ZerO 61
Barracks 57
Pusan 53
ToSsGirL 51
soO 46
Yoon 39
Sharp 31
Aegong 29
Shinee 26
NaDa 22
Bale 20
sorry 20
Sacsri 19
Mind 18
Hm[arnc] 14
Noble 12
JulyZerg 12
Terrorterran 9
zelot 6
Dota 2
Fuzer 181
XaKoH 3
Counter-Strike
shoxiejesuss1205
byalli884
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor981
crisheroes801
Other Games
gofns37802
singsing1758
olofmeister1152
Mew2King87
B2W.Neo67
ArmadaUGS52
ZerO(Twitch)13
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream171
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH39
• StrangeGG 23
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix7
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
2h 33m
OSC
11h 33m
CranKy Ducklings
23h 33m
Online Event
1d
FEL
1d 5h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 6h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 8h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 23h
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.