• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:19
CEST 17:19
KST 00:19
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9039 users

big literature thread! - Page 4

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
SoLsiTO
Profile Joined April 2003
United States573 Posts
November 27 2003 13:39 GMT
#61
Stienbeck is by far one of my favorite authors. Some of my favorite books include: 100 Years of Solitude, Kiss of The Spider Woman, The Alchemist, The Life of Pi, Beloved, Grapes of Wrath, East of Eden, Tortilla Flat, and others I cannot recall off the top of my head...
They fill the children full of hate to fight an old man's war and die upon the road to peace
VaNille
Profile Joined November 2002
Canada204 Posts
November 27 2003 13:59 GMT
#62
On November 27 2003 22:27 tiffany wrote:
ulysses is one of the most difficult reads, and is considered the best piece of literature of this century.

i also enjoy murakami's postmodernism and vonnegut is awesome.


Yeah well that is subjective. I think I have an idea what you got this from, but much like the Academy of Motion Pictures, there is so much bias when the kinds of books are chosen for the 100 best novels of all time. I remember seeing the list and there were some great books that should have been on there but wasn't. Also, some should have ranked higher than others but were for some reason reversed.

Anyway, I haven't read any of Joyce's works but I might pick up Ulysses some day.

To be or not to be... Make up yer friggin' mind!?~
eSu.Macedon
Profile Joined September 2002
Macedonia60 Posts
November 27 2003 14:25 GMT
#63
Guys can someone of you give me address of some web site that provides good critics about literature works
Nobody can stop me now
IDWIJNI-
Profile Joined February 2003
Mexico332 Posts
November 27 2003 14:46 GMT
#64
Milan Kundera rocks!
threshy
Profile Joined March 2003
Qatar550 Posts
November 27 2003 14:54 GMT
#65
the sound and the fury is really good.

i don't know if you got through the first quarter or not, but if you didn't, keep at it because the rest of the book isn't written from the perspective of a retard.

ulysses was honestly kind of boring and masturbatory in my opinion. more like "hey look at me I'm a genius with words" than anything else, really. then again i thought portrait of an artist as a young man was really wack too, so maybe it's just that I don't like his style. and finnegan's wake .. jeez. if you guys think 1984 is a book people use to try to look smart, you haven't seen anything yet. some people read books only to look smart--james joyce kicked it up a notch and wrote one. I guess it worked, though.

I think it's odd that with so many people mentioning sci-fi/fantasy stuff that nobody's mentioned William Gibson. In my humblest of opinions he's the only real artist writing in that genre (or was--I didn't much like his latest book, although parts were reflective of his former self). Also very good is Ray Bradbury, famous for Fahrenheit 451 but very consistently good and cool and fun to read.

pyogenes
Profile Joined May 2003
Brazil1401 Posts
November 27 2003 16:35 GMT
#66
ooh i liked the alchemist
tiffany
Profile Joined November 2003
3664 Posts
November 27 2003 16:38 GMT
#67
On November 27 2003 22:59 VaNille wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 27 2003 22:27 tiffany wrote:
ulysses is one of the most difficult reads, and is considered the best piece of literature of this century.

i also enjoy murakami's postmodernism and vonnegut is awesome.


Yeah well that is subjective.



isn't all of this subjective =\
AutumnLight
Profile Joined July 2003
Ukraine2488 Posts
November 27 2003 16:53 GMT
#68
currently on the English Patient by Michael Ondaatje(sp), btw if you liked 1984 you should read Waiting for the Barbarians by J.M Coetzee,a short novel with alot of symbolism and imagery describing colonialism and torture.
Pray for War.
AutumnLight
Profile Joined July 2003
Ukraine2488 Posts
November 27 2003 16:56 GMT
#69
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS TRUTH
WAR IS PEACE
I have read 1984 like 3 years ago, not sure if these quotes are exact!
P.S: BIG BROTHER IS ALWAYS WATCHING
Pray for War.
x[ReaPeR]x
Profile Joined February 2003
United States3447 Posts
November 27 2003 17:55 GMT
#70
On November 28 2003 01:56 ScRooLooSe wrote:
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS TRUTH
WAR IS PEACE
I have read 1984 like 3 years ago, not sure if these quotes are exact!
P.S: BIG BROTHER IS ALWAYS WATCHING


Shouldn't the first one be SLAVERY IS FREEDOM?

But other than that, yeah.
ILoveOOv ownZ everyone!!! ~ Lamer List: Mynock, naventus
SoL.Origin
Profile Joined September 2003
Argentina2400 Posts
November 27 2003 18:47 GMT
#71
anyone got any clue of what happens in "God emperor of Dune"?
Son Of Law
Manifesto7
Profile Blog Joined November 2002
Osaka27178 Posts
November 27 2003 19:08 GMT
#72
About Enders Game, you cant really classify the later books with Enders Game. Enders Game is actually a novella (a short novel) that was expanded into its present form. Because it was a novella, its audience is not the same as the audience for Speaker for the Dead and Xenocide. After the trilogy was done, Card went on to write more books in the series that were more like Enders Game, plot driven, rather than Speaker for the Dead and Xenocide, which were more philisophically driven.

I always recommend the Ender series to friends, but the books vary in their message, and their level of sophistication.
ModeratorGodfather
chobopeon
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
United States7342 Posts
November 27 2003 19:11 GMT
#73
enders game :o

only book i read twice and liked twice.
:O
AutumnLight
Profile Joined July 2003
Ukraine2488 Posts
November 27 2003 21:49 GMT
#74
nop x[ReaPeR]x I've checked and it's positive...
"War is Peace"
"Freedom is Slavery"
"Ignorance is Strength"
Pray for War.
Shockey
Profile Joined January 2003
United States2615 Posts
November 27 2003 21:51 GMT
#75
The Harry Potters are quite good.
ex_zER0
Profile Joined July 2003
United States200 Posts
November 27 2003 22:55 GMT
#76
On November 27 2003 10:18 LumberJack wrote:
Ishmail
The Giver
Illusions: Tales of a Reluctant Messiah
Demain
Siddhartha


i read the giver in like 7th grade
Senff
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
United States360 Posts
Last Edited: 2003-11-27 23:49:20
November 27 2003 23:42 GMT
#77
On November 27 2003 20:08 Manifesto7 wrote:
- Wheel of Time, although it has gone on so long it is now virtually unreadable
- George R R Martins series ( I cant remember the title, Song of Ice and Fire I think) really took over from Jordan for me

-All Quiet on the Western Front + The Road Back by Erich Maria Remarque should be mandatory reading for all student I think. It illustrates a kind of history that is usually overlooked in favour of statistics and battle names in the history of the first world war.




These are all excellent books. I suggest to everyone all of Orson Scott Cards books, except for the Homecoming saga. It's good in the beginning, but gets very bad near the end. The Alvin Maker series may be better than even the Ender's Game series, believe it or not. George R. R. Martin is probably my favorite author. It's Song of Fire and Ice, the series you're referring to. Easily some of the best fantasy books ever written. If you like All Quiet on the Western Front, and novels like that, I highly suggest a book called Alas, Babylon, by Pat Frank. I'm reading the Illuminatus trilogy right now, and while they're very trippy, they're pretty funny at moments. And dude, you're right about Robert Jordan. What the hell happened to that series? It went down the crapper as soon as he started writing more about the women, no offense to anyone present. The women are just so boring and ridiculously overwritten that it makes me sick. As for writing that isn't so fantasy-oriented, I like a lot of Hemmingway's novels. Old Man and the Sea was good, because it was so short and to the point. The Sun Also Rises would have been great if I hadn't had to read it for school (as such I didn't really read it at all). I actually didn't like the Grapes of Wrath, 1984, nor the Great Gatsby, and not so much because I had to read them for school. They just didn't appeal to me, really.

Edit: I forgot to mention another book that struck me as incredibly good. It's called Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, by Haruki Murakami. Someone suggested him, and he indeed has an incredible insight into the human mind. It's very interesting.
Jesus: The Other White Moses
AttackZerg
Profile Blog Joined January 2003
United States7637 Posts
November 27 2003 23:58 GMT
#78
On November 28 2003 08:42 Senff wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 27 2003 20:08 Manifesto7 wrote:
- Wheel of Time, although it has gone on so long it is now virtually unreadable
- George R R Martins series ( I cant remember the title, Song of Ice and Fire I think) really took over from Jordan for me

-All Quiet on the Western Front + The Road Back by Erich Maria Remarque should be mandatory reading for all student I think. It illustrates a kind of history that is usually overlooked in favour of statistics and battle names in the history of the first world war.




These are all excellent books. I suggest to everyone all of Orson Scott Cards books, except for the Homecoming saga. It's good in the beginning, but gets very bad near the end. The Alvin Maker series may be better than even the Ender's Game series, believe it or not. George R. R. Martin is probably my favorite author. It's Song of Fire and Ice, the series you're referring to. Easily some of the best fantasy books ever written. If you like All Quiet on the Western Front, and novels like that, I highly suggest a book called Alas, Babylon, by Pat Frank. I'm reading the Illuminatus trilogy right now, and while they're very trippy, they're pretty funny at moments. And dude, you're right about Robert Jordan. What the hell happened to that series? It went down the crapper as soon as he started writing more about the women, no offense to anyone present. The women are just so boring and ridiculously overwritten that it makes me sick. As for writing that isn't so fantasy-oriented, I like a lot of Hemmingway's novels. Old Man and the Sea was good, because it was so short and to the point. The Sun Also Rises would have been great if I hadn't had to read it for school (as such I didn't really read it at all). I actually didn't like the Grapes of Wrath, 1984, nor the Great Gatsby, and not so much because I had to read them for school. They just didn't appeal to me, really.

Edit: I forgot to mention another book that struck me as incredibly good. It's called Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, by Haruki Murakami. Someone suggested him, and he indeed has an incredible insight into the human mind. It's very interesting.


without a doubt the best post I have read in quite awhile

Thank you!
x[ReaPeR]x
Profile Joined February 2003
United States3447 Posts
November 28 2003 00:22 GMT
#79
On November 28 2003 06:49 ScRooLooSe wrote:
nop x[ReaPeR]x I've checked and it's positive...
"War is Peace"
"Freedom is Slavery"
"Ignorance is Strength"


Damn, ah well.
ILoveOOv ownZ everyone!!! ~ Lamer List: Mynock, naventus
poilord
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
Germany3252 Posts
February 19 2008 18:39 GMT
#80
Look what I dug up from the depths of the archives. I was almost about to create a topic myself, but I found this thread via search and decided to bump it, because I've got the feeling that there are many people on this forums who read a lot and are generally well educated :p So why not discuss a little literature.
Over the last two weeks I've read some theatre plays (Before Breakfast and The Emperor Jones by Eugene O'Neill; A Streetcar Named Desire and Cat on a Hot Tin Roof by Tennessee Williams) in order to prepare for a course I'm going to take next semester.

What kind of literature have you enjoyed and would recommend reading? :p
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 1
IntoTheiNu 698
ComeBackTV 405
SteadfastSC357
Rex119
CosmosSc2 49
EnkiAlexander 43
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 348
ProTech147
Rex 119
CosmosSc2 46
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 44500
Jaedong 1177
Hyuk 1161
Soma 808
Mini 592
Horang2 559
BeSt 506
EffOrt 447
Soulkey 403
Larva 397
[ Show more ]
ZerO 284
Stork 270
Rush 256
Last 239
Snow 236
ggaemo 212
hero 77
Mind 59
Killer 53
Free 52
Sharp 33
Shinee 33
Terrorterran 26
sorry 25
ToSsGirL 24
Shine 23
Bale 21
yabsab 16
Rock 16
Trap 15
HiyA 15
Liquid`Ret 13
Sacsri 8
Dota 2
Gorgc8575
qojqva1261
Dendi799
Counter-Strike
Fnx 780
x6flipin609
markeloff142
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes2330
Khaldor1865
Other Games
ArmadaUGS2757
singsing2064
hiko918
B2W.Neo893
byalli421
Liquid`VortiX195
KnowMe119
QueenE82
Mew2King77
Trikslyr26
Railgan17
ZerO(Twitch)15
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream92
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• mYiSmile118
• Migwel
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• IndyKCrew
• Kozan
• intothetv
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 8
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• FirePhoenix0
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 2466
League of Legends
• Nemesis1782
• Jankos1210
• TFBlade849
Other Games
• Shiphtur259
• WagamamaTV217
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
18h 42m
OSC
21h 42m
Stellar Fest
21h 42m
OSC
1d 8h
Stellar Fest
1d 21h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.