• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:29
CEST 02:29
KST 09:29
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)22Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9442 users

big literature thread! - Page 3

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
pyogenes
Profile Joined May 2003
Brazil1401 Posts
November 27 2003 10:31 GMT
#41
lol the title is called literature and people are mentinoing lotr and shit =\

literature to me is like not novels or fantasy and crap like that i dono :O

but when i think literature i think like shakespeare orwell steinbeck thomas hardy etc..
but since we are going that route @_@

yes i like crichtcon (spelling? ^^) books
1984 (turned me on during sex scenes wtf) too, night was kind of dark and scary =_=
mvnL
Profile Joined January 2003
Poland394 Posts
November 27 2003 10:34 GMT
#42
--- Nuked ---
pyogenes
Profile Joined May 2003
Brazil1401 Posts
November 27 2003 10:42 GMT
#43
On November 27 2003 19:34 mvnL wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 27 2003 19:31 intotherei wrote:
lol the title is called literature and people are mentinoing lotr and shit =\

literature to me is like not novels or fantasy and crap like that i dono :O

but when i think literature i think like shakespeare orwell steinbeck thomas hardy etc..

What..

there is a big diff between something written by someone like dickens and somethign written by someone like michael cricthcon or someone like that
Manifesto7
Profile Blog Joined November 2002
Osaka27178 Posts
November 27 2003 11:08 GMT
#44
As to the above comment, LoTR virtually created a whole new genre of literature, and it IS indeed literature.

I was a fantasy junkie for a long time, so I still have very fond memories of some fantasy:
- Wheel of Time, although it has gone on so long it is now virtually unreadable
- George R R Martins series ( I cant remember the title, Song of Ice and Fire I think) really took over from Jordan for me
- Guy Gavriel Kay, the Fionavar Tapestry
- The Dark Tower Series may be the best fantasy ever written, especially when one reads Kings other, non tower, books from the last 10 years that give you tons of hints about the dark tower world.

Now that I have been in school for so long, I mostly read my assaigned reading, but they are also very good.

-All Quiet on the Western Front + The Road Back by Erich Maria Remarque should be mandatory reading for all student I think. It illustrates a kind of history that is usually overlooked in favour of statistics and battle names in the history of the first world war.
-Another good book is Darkness at Noon, which deals with the Purges in Russia in Stalins time, very interesting if you know anything about that period.

ModeratorGodfather
Meta
Profile Blog Joined June 2003
United States6228 Posts
November 27 2003 11:42 GMT
#45
On November 27 2003 13:17 Moth wrote:
Last winter i consumed the wheel of times. Best fantasy i ever read, inluding lotr and others

yes that is a very good series
good vibes only
suffeli *
Profile Blog Joined October 2002
Finland772 Posts
November 27 2003 11:44 GMT
#46
Hehe. I've heard that some people say they have read Orwell's1984 just because it automaticly makes them intelligent. The thruth is that they've never a page of that book and they dislike it.

Anyway...

I dislike scifi/fantasy books. Especially dragonlance and wheel of time series are total rubbish and they have no innovative ideas whatsoever, characters are shallow and the story is like from teenage roleplay-board game. (no offence to anyone). Anyway "pocketbook or teenage" fantasy doesn't appeal to me. There are few exceptions though.

My altime favourites:

H.P. Lovecraft + (Edgar Allan Poe)
--------------------
Very groundbraking books, though some of them lack colour. Still they are the best horror ever written.
-Try Haunting in the Dark, Colour of space.

Hermann Hesse
----------------------
Very "confusing" some might say, books with Freudian and Jungian elements, but nonetheless excellent literature about life/youth/death.
-Try Siddharta, Steppenwolf + all the younger Hesse.

Soren Kierkegaard
--------------------------
The danish extentialist before extentialism. Philosophical books about piety and religion. His poetry is the best.

That is all.
++Suffeli

.....
BroOd
Profile Blog Joined April 2003
Austin10833 Posts
November 27 2003 11:45 GMT
#47
The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown is a good modern thriller.
ModeratorSIRL and JLIG.
Jamers
Profile Joined October 2002
Israel1327 Posts
November 27 2003 11:51 GMT
#48
Wuthering Heights
100 Years of Solitude
Anything by Neal Stephenson
Manifesto7
Profile Blog Joined November 2002
Osaka27178 Posts
November 27 2003 11:53 GMT
#49
On November 27 2003 20:44 suffeli wrote:
Hehe. I've heard that some people say they have read Orwell's1984 just because it automaticly makes them intelligent. The thruth is that they've never a page of that book and they dislike it.



Actually, I, along with I am sure many others here, read 1984 for the first time in high school.

An interesting side note, I was reminded of 1984 when I saw a news report about how the US government, and more recently the Canadian government, is looking to put up small blimps with high resolution cameras to monitor parks highways and cities.

These blimps are fairly cheap, and could be put up in large numbers. The cameras on these things are powerful enough to pick up license plate #'s or facial descriptions.

Your back yard BBQ's, hikes in the woods and travel patterns could soon be all relevant information to the federal government. Some people said earlier in the thread that the world of 1984 could never happen. Maybe not, but this is just another step foreward.
ModeratorGodfather
karate
Profile Joined October 2003
Norway120 Posts
November 27 2003 11:54 GMT
#50
On November 27 2003 19:22 Hot_Bid wrote:
Timothy Zahn and his 5 Star Wars books (the only ones that are good in the 23894739857 series)

James Clavell: Shogun, Tai-Pan

Orson Scott Card: Ender's Game, Ender's Shadow, etc.


question: Are the other books in the "Ender" series at the same level as Ender's Game?
tiffany
Profile Joined November 2003
3664 Posts
November 27 2003 11:58 GMT
#51
no one has mentioned lord of the flies why ?
Jamers
Profile Joined October 2002
Israel1327 Posts
November 27 2003 12:01 GMT
#52
On November 27 2003 20:54 karate wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 27 2003 19:22 Hot_Bid wrote:
Timothy Zahn and his 5 Star Wars books (the only ones that are good in the 23894739857 series)

James Clavell: Shogun, Tai-Pan

Orson Scott Card: Ender's Game, Ender's Shadow, etc.


question: Are the other books in the "Ender" series at the same level as Ender's Game?


The sequel is pretty good. The third book - Xenocide, is rather boring, but it was still very interesting to me since I was a big Ender's game fan. The fourth book is rather horrible, but it is short, and if you already bothered to read xenocide (1000 pages?), then you should definitely read the last one just to finish the series.

Ender's Shadow OWNS
Shadow of the Hegemon OWNS

kk
x[ReaPeR]x
Profile Joined February 2003
United States3447 Posts
November 27 2003 12:02 GMT
#53
On November 27 2003 20:58 tiffany wrote:
no one has mentioned lord of the flies why ?


The Lord of the Flies is highly highly overrated.
ILoveOOv ownZ everyone!!! ~ Lamer List: Mynock, naventus
AttackZerg
Profile Blog Joined January 2003
United States7637 Posts
November 27 2003 12:30 GMT
#54
Shakspeare is literature? It was written down so as the actors could memorize there parts...

Any books by
Richard Russo
Mary clark Higgins
Stienbeck
Janet Fitch
Micheal cunningham
and john irving

Favorite plays I've read
Street car named desire
Cat on a hot tin roof
Macbeth
The twin manechami [I can't spell it, this isn't even close]

and that's all I can think of right now

reaper I agree that book is overrated, and imo way way to drastic and uncharacteristic of human behavior, the entire philosphy of hte book goes against how I view humans.
NickDapaulo
Profile Joined October 2003
United States867 Posts
November 27 2003 12:31 GMT
#55
The last piece of literature I've read on my own is Harry Potter, Order of the Pheonix. It was kind of dissapointing though. Most of the book could have been cut out with no real change in the story.
Good God I look like an African tree.
iGgs
Profile Joined April 2003
Russian Federation772 Posts
November 27 2003 12:52 GMT
#56
On November 27 2003 19:27 VaNille wrote:
Grapes of Wrath was totally unreadable. I struggled until the page 100 or so when I said to hell with it and gave it up.

It wasn't that it wasn't a great novel, in fact I think it captured the atmosphere of the era very very well. I, however, disliked having to read the dialects and try to decipher what the hell the characters are saying. Steinbeck was amazing in how realistic he portrayed the situations and characters but the dialogue put me to sleep.

I like his other book though: East of Eden. That's a beautiful book. I remember when I read the first 10 pages I could not put it down. I was reading it during work and I must have finished half the book in the first place alone.

The first great book I remember reading was Catcher in the Rye. That book made me cry. Salinger embodied the angst, cynicism of all teans in Holden so well that the book has rightfully earned it's place in the annals of great literature.

I read some Rohinton Mistry, Family Matters and A Fine Balance, several months ago. SOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD! Balance was 800 pages but I don't think it was long enough. It should have been longer. Same with Family Matters. Man I can't wait for his next novel to come out.



catcher in the rye is god
also has anyone tried to read the sound and the fury by faulkner? wtfwtfasasdf that book is difficult to read
AttackZerg
Profile Blog Joined January 2003
United States7637 Posts
November 27 2003 12:55 GMT
#57
no but I fully intend to
VaNille
Profile Joined November 2002
Canada204 Posts
November 27 2003 12:57 GMT
#58
You want difficult?

Pick up Focault's Pendulum.

I swear to go, I was in self-denial the whole time reading it. I kept telling myself "Yeah, I understand this. I'm smart! I know exactly what he's talking about".

I gave up after the second chapter.
To be or not to be... Make up yer friggin' mind!?~
AttackZerg
Profile Blog Joined January 2003
United States7637 Posts
November 27 2003 13:07 GMT
#59
heh!
tiffany
Profile Joined November 2003
3664 Posts
November 27 2003 13:27 GMT
#60
ulysses is one of the most difficult reads, and is considered the best piece of literature of this century.

i also enjoy murakami's postmodernism and vonnegut is awesome.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 9h 32m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nathanias 71
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 12764
Rain 1956
Artosis 768
White-Ra 204
ToSsGirL 45
Dota 2
monkeys_forever615
NeuroSwarm176
League of Legends
Doublelift4212
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox1494
ArmadaUGS611
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor698
WinterStarcraft240
Other Games
summit1g8776
shahzam673
Day[9].tv603
JimRising 531
C9.Mang0275
ViBE137
Maynarde135
Trikslyr55
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick785
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream109
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 130
• davetesta42
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Scarra1097
• Day9tv603
• Shiphtur268
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
9h 32m
OSC
12h 32m
Stellar Fest
12h 32m
OSC
23h 32m
Stellar Fest
1d 12h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.