• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:29
CEST 22:29
KST 05:29
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7588 users

How do you fight procrastination? - Page 2

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
rekluce
Profile Joined June 2007
United States51 Posts
January 06 2009 16:15 GMT
#21
i fight procrastination with masturbation.
boxer > jaedong folks
Frits
Profile Joined March 2003
11782 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-01-06 16:22:33
January 06 2009 16:16 GMT
#22
I have huge problems with procrastination, what seems to help is just set small goals for short periods of time. I really love to learn but my planning just sucks and I always end up doing hardly anything.

Never say, Im gonna write paper X entirely tomorrow, or in a week. Or, I will start learning everything in a day, because you will end up doing it at the last moment. Just say, Im gonna read 1 chapter tomorrow for about 2 or 3 hours, or write the opening of my paper, stuff like that. You have to be very clear on your goals, no vague intentions.

@Tech)Psylo, that's definately a good way as well, I've never tried it but it has come up in behavior changing theory in my study so it should work well when trying not to procrastinate.

Also, avoid anything that makes you procrastinate, don't study near your computer if you just need books. I found that studying at my faculty library helps a LOT, if you're extraverted bring an mp3 player or something to get some steady background noise, otherwise the silence will just drive you nuts.

And very important: Tell others, friends or family that you're trying to procrastinate less, so they will remind you, ask you how you're doing with your work etc.

These are all just tips, use a combination. Oh also a steady sleep schedule helps, lately Ive been going to bed at 6 am and I just fuck up my day, Im exhausted half the time.
Frits
Profile Joined March 2003
11782 Posts
January 06 2009 16:25 GMT
#23
On January 07 2009 01:15 rekluce wrote:
i fight procrastination with masturbation.


I know this is supposed to be a joke but how the fuck does this make sense. All you did was take the word of the general theme here and put a 'dirty word' after it because it rhymes, that is some elementary school shit bro.

rekluce? more like rekLUBE HAAHHAHAHAHAHA GET IT UFCK OWNEDD
Physician *
Profile Blog Joined January 2004
United States4146 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-01-06 16:54:37
January 06 2009 16:41 GMT
#24
- do or die
(mentally visualize/pretend prompt death will follow if u don't complete task, right now)
- practice makes better
- 21 days makes the habit; for 21 days never leave anything off for later, if u make it everything is easier afterward : )

all above works but here is my method (only for the brave though):
+ Show Spoiler +
I look at this everytime I am wasting time:
http://www.timeanddate.com/counters/customcounter.html?month=1&day=1&year=2049&hour=0&min=0&sec=0&p0=0 tic toc times is running out..
(which is a countdown of the time I have left on earth according to my risk factors i.e. it could be much less if I am unlucky)

- the race against "time's up", gl hf & gg
"I have beheld the births of negative-suns and borne witness to the entropy of entire realities...."
Garnet
Profile Blog Joined February 2006
Vietnam9056 Posts
January 06 2009 16:44 GMT
#25
The only way is to get away from the computer....
Starparty
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
Sweden1963 Posts
January 06 2009 16:46 GMT
#26
i work best when im stressed. Writing my articles in the last minute (like i am right now... oh wait..) usually works for me. Sure, ill end up having a few late nights at work but im not really suffering from it..
The artist formerly known as Starparty
Disarray
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States1164 Posts
January 06 2009 17:15 GMT
#27
i got a speeding ticket in july, still haven't done anything about it.


yeah.... i should get on that....
Input limit reached. Please wait to perform more actions.
selboN
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United States2523 Posts
January 06 2009 17:27 GMT
#28
Procrastination > selboN
"That's what happens when you're using a mouse made out of glass!" -Tasteless (Referring to ZergBong)
pooper-scooper
Profile Joined May 2003
United States3108 Posts
January 06 2009 18:26 GMT
#29
Here are a few things I do:

1) Go to a library where I have no internet access, and where people actually study.
2) Procrastinate but using other things that I have to get done to delay me having to do the thing I am really dreading.
3) Make a daily entry in my notebook with a tally "Number of times I unnecessarily dicked around on the internet today." This brings a bit more accountability, and helps me at least.

Good...Bad... Im the guy with the gun
sith
Profile Blog Joined July 2005
United States2474 Posts
January 06 2009 23:28 GMT
#30
I don't.
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
January 06 2009 23:29 GMT
#31
you kick him in the balls
GHOSTCLAW
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States17042 Posts
January 06 2009 23:32 GMT
#32
Get off teamliquid xD

although at least for me, I need to go to the library, and be there with a book, pen, and paper. Whenever I get lazy, the only thing i see around me are other people who are also studying.
PhotographerLiquipedia. Drop me a pm if you've got questions/need help.
GHOSTCLAW
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States17042 Posts
January 06 2009 23:35 GMT
#33
On January 07 2009 00:17 Salv wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 07 2009 00:14 RaGe wrote:
request a tempban from irc and TL usually helps


I've never understood requesting temporary bans, you can still read the forum, so what's the big deal? If I couldn't post on TL it would merely be inconvenient, as opposed to being restricted from reading it.


It would be a good reminder that you're not supposed to be reading the forum site, you're supposed to be studying. If you're really trying to procrastinate, then you'll be able to do anything except for whatever you're supposed to do pretty easily
PhotographerLiquipedia. Drop me a pm if you've got questions/need help.
Archaic
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
United States4024 Posts
January 06 2009 23:38 GMT
#34
On January 07 2009 08:35 GHOSTCLAW wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 07 2009 00:17 Salv wrote:
On January 07 2009 00:14 RaGe wrote:
request a tempban from irc and TL usually helps


I've never understood requesting temporary bans, you can still read the forum, so what's the big deal? If I couldn't post on TL it would merely be inconvenient, as opposed to being restricted from reading it.


It would be a good reminder that you're not supposed to be reading the forum site, you're supposed to be studying. If you're really trying to procrastinate, then you'll be able to do anything except for whatever you're supposed to do pretty easily


Personally, I've found that without TL, I can just play. What I suggest you to do is temp ban from TL, IRC, uninstall SC, throw away your CD key, and set parental controls with a password like
"ajdfoij3tijgw49bj09ajg oj oij OORJ)Qt gegiig", then never write it down.
Hippopotamus
Profile Blog Joined October 2004
1914 Posts
January 06 2009 23:49 GMT
#35
On January 07 2009 00:27 fanta[Rn] wrote:
what sometimes helps me is, I put the books and the papers I have to work on on my desk and let them sit there. And sometimes when I'm really really bored I just grab them and start working on it.
I guess it is semi-procrastination because I don't work on them right away but I tend to work on them earlier than I usually would (last day before deadline).


LMAO. That actually works too. Unless you procrastinate putting them on the work desk...
dm47
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
82 Posts
January 07 2009 02:29 GMT
#36
1) navigate to C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc
2) right click your hosts file --> properties --> uncheck "read-only"
3) open your hosts file with notepad
4) add these two lines

127.0.0.1 teamliquid.net
127.0.0.1 www.teamliquid.net

5) save
and then... forgot how to do all of this. o_O
I hate optimists.
SonuvBob
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Aiur21552 Posts
January 07 2009 02:38 GMT
#37
The philosopher Nike had some words of wisdom on this, but for the life of me I can't remember what they were.
Administrator
Zapdos_Smithh
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Canada2620 Posts
January 07 2009 03:05 GMT
#38
I pretty well need motivation for everything I do, or else I simply won't do it or procrastinate it forever.

I'd try making a reward/positive reinforcement for every task. For example, if you need to clean the house, just think how clean and nice your place will be to live in.

For homework though (unless I really like the material), I usually have negative reinforcements, for example I would say "if I don't do this now I am going to be fucked", which makes me do it.

Try that out if you already don't.
InToTheWannaB
Profile Joined September 2002
United States4770 Posts
January 07 2009 03:05 GMT
#39
On January 06 2009 23:38 Quint wrote:
I guess everyone is procrastinating from time to time, though some deal better with it and some... not that well. I definitely belong to the latter category and I want to know how I can get into the first one. I know there are a lot of very dedicated people here on tl.net who are successful in broodwar, poker, sports and academics among other things - activities, where you need to be strongminded and -willed to do your daily amount of work in order to reach your goals.

So, how do you it? Right now, I am using the good old 'To Do' list, which is semi-successful - I still postpone the most important things but at the end of the day, I at least got some the minor ones done (my place is never so clean as some days before a test).

Looking forward to your answers.



Well what are you not doing that you should be doing? Broodwar, poker, sports and academics are things people hear are good at because they love doing them.

If you have work you should be doing but are skiping. I honestly may suggest looking for a new line of work. I know its cheese but its true. Find something that does not feel like work and you'll never procrastinate.
When the spirit is not altogether slain, great loss teaches men and women to desire greatly, both for themselves and for others.
Kupon3ss
Profile Joined May 2008
時の回廊10066 Posts
January 07 2009 03:09 GMT
#40
procrastination does mess people up a lot, but then it feels as though as the time left to do something approaches zero, the rate at which you do it approaches infinity, and it's just picking the right time to start so you end up finishing at the last second
When in doubt, just believe in yourself and press buttons
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Monday Night Weeklies
01:00
#66
TKL 1487
RotterdaM1013
TaKeTV 398
IndyStarCraft 214
SteadfastSC193
ZombieGrub100
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
TKL 1487
RotterdaM 1013
MaxPax 227
IndyStarCraft 214
SteadfastSC 193
RuFF_SC2 130
ZombieGrub100
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 2612
Shuttle 445
910 62
Mind 61
Bale 13
Counter-Strike
pashabiceps1115
Fnx 695
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu847
Other Games
summit1g5175
Grubby2814
shahzam491
mouzStarbuck206
C9.Mang0189
ToD99
UpATreeSC55
Beastyqt11
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV256
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream25
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• kabyraGe 202
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Eskiya23 30
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota2331
League of Legends
• TFBlade523
Other Games
• imaqtpie884
• Shiphtur252
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
2h 31m
Afreeca Starleague
13h 31m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
14h 31m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 3h
Patches Events
1d 19h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
OSC
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.