• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:29
CEST 10:29
KST 17:29
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Dating: How's your luck? Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8450 users

How do you fight procrastination? - Page 3

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Lemonwalrus
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
United States5465 Posts
January 07 2009 03:13 GMT
#41
On January 07 2009 03:26 pooper-scooper wrote:
Here are a few things I do:

1) Go to a library where I have no internet access, and where people actually study.
2) Procrastinate but using other things that I have to get done to delay me having to do the thing I am really dreading.
3) Make a daily entry in my notebook with a tally "Number of times I unnecessarily dicked around on the internet today." This brings a bit more accountability, and helps me at least.


This.

I used to wonder why people went to the library to study or whatever, but then my friend (who does this normally) and I pulled an all-nighter, the first half of which took place at the library. I was floored when I realized how much more I got done in 3 hours at the library than I would have with 3 hours in my dorm room. Now whenever I have a big thing going on I try to do as much of it in the library as possible, I swear, just the library as your surroundings makes you more efficient.

Also, another method I have, that is kinda lame, but whatever, I will describe.

Imagine the thing you are doing is something else. This might work if you are procrastinating doing something because you know it is going to take long or be tedious. Idk, how to describe it, and I have an example, but typing it out will take forever, so I'm not gonna unless somebody asks.
koreakool
Profile Joined January 2008
United States334 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-01-07 03:18:31
January 07 2009 03:17 GMT
#42
Read stories about other people's failings, and how they are suffering because they didn't work hard
Try to relate these stories to your current life, and what will happen if you don't do what needs to be done
OR you can do what I do
randomly just close the computer and get your ass to work
rarely works, but when it does, it's wonderful

oh and doing as much work as you can before you get home is helpful
once I get home it's really hard for me to work
once I go to college and start living by myself I expect to get more work done
JeeJee
Profile Blog Joined July 2003
Canada5652 Posts
January 07 2009 03:26 GMT
#43
Sometimes it's not that bad to procrastinate
Parkinson's law is always there
Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

If you decide to start on an assignment or w/e a week early, you will spend a lot more time than if you are cramming that crap in the night or 2 before. And you won't lose too much quality either (recall the 80-20 'rule' and don't be a perfectionist)

at least that's my rationalization for my procrastination.

of course you have to be smart about your procrastination. if you actually don't get your shit done on time and better than the class average, then pull it together buddy.
(\o/)  If you want it, you find a way. Otherwise you find excuses. No exceptions.
 /_\   aka Shinbi (requesting a name change since 27/05/09 ☺)
alphafuzard
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
United States1610 Posts
January 07 2009 03:30 GMT
#44
On January 07 2009 12:13 Lemonwalrus wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 07 2009 03:26 pooper-scooper wrote:
Here are a few things I do:

1) Go to a library where I have no internet access, and where people actually study.
2) Procrastinate but using other things that I have to get done to delay me having to do the thing I am really dreading.
3) Make a daily entry in my notebook with a tally "Number of times I unnecessarily dicked around on the internet today." This brings a bit more accountability, and helps me at least.


This.

I used to wonder why people went to the library to study or whatever, but then my friend (who does this normally) and I pulled an all-nighter, the first half of which took place at the library. I was floored when I realized how much more I got done in 3 hours at the library than I would have with 3 hours in my dorm room. Now whenever I have a big thing going on I try to do as much of it in the library as possible, I swear, just the library as your surroundings makes you more efficient.

Also, another method I have, that is kinda lame, but whatever, I will describe.

Imagine the thing you are doing is something else. This might work if you are procrastinating doing something because you know it is going to take long or be tedious. Idk, how to describe it, and I have an example, but typing it out will take forever, so I'm not gonna unless somebody asks.

Do it
but take your time
like me
and my 8 pages of essay still to be finished
in
9000 seconds
according to my custom life counter
zomg
more weight
alphafuzard
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
United States1610 Posts
January 07 2009 03:31 GMT
#45
God damn tl is distracting me again
If I post here again within 10 hours, instruct me to get back down to wrinting english paper plz
more weight
thunk
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
United States6233 Posts
January 07 2009 03:35 GMT
#46
You ask a bunch of active TL users who are most likely procrastinating?

Anyways, I try to take classes I enjoy taking and do things I like to do. Stuff just gets done that way.
Every time Jung Myung Hoon builds a vulture, two probes die. || My post count was a palindrome and I was never posting again.
IzzyCraft
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
United States4487 Posts
January 07 2009 03:36 GMT
#47
Break bigger tasks into smaller tasks that seem very easy to do in a 1 2 hour sitting.

Also temporarily remove temptations for the time you are working it can be as easy as putting the remote on your tv in another room.

Using another log-in name for your computer so some things that are easy to click like a book mark to your fac website aren't there

Then always reward your self with some youtime after you completed a task ofc this is always means you should plan it well before it's do to fit time constraints.

For daily routines i suggest playing out time loosely for you to get your work done. Soon forcing a routine will come easily and you can learn how to switch around tasks so you can be more spontaneous with your time without running out of time. Always keep a watch on your person too.
I have ass for brains so,
even when I shit I'm droping knowledge.
lilsusie
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
3861 Posts
January 07 2009 05:57 GMT
#48
It's the Do or Die that really gets me. I think this is why most people work best when their deadline is literally in 30 minutes or something.

I have 33 essays to correct and here I am browsing through TL. sigh*
Follow me on Twitter for pictures of cute gamers and food! https://twitter.com/lilsusie
clazziquai
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
6685 Posts
January 07 2009 06:00 GMT
#49
On January 07 2009 14:57 lilsusie wrote:
It's the Do or Die that really gets me. I think this is why most people work best when their deadline is literally in 30 minutes or something.

I have 33 essays to correct and here I am browsing through TL. sigh*


you're also a Teacher/Tutor/TA? :O

I'm amazing at procrastination, I'm trying to fight it.
My biggest enemy is the computer though. And because of that, I did horribly in school.

I'm going to try and go to the library every time there's a test, because I need to seriously stop studying the night before every test.

It worked in high school, but certainly not in college lol.
#1 Sea.Really Fan / #1 Nesh Fan / Terran Forever~
CommanderFluffy
Profile Joined June 2008
Taiwan1059 Posts
January 07 2009 06:04 GMT
#50
Sit down.

Tell myself to focus.

Get work.

Do work.

Pain is temporary, but glory is forever.
azndsh
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
United States4447 Posts
January 07 2009 06:13 GMT
#51
think about it rationally: what do you get by procrastinating versus getting stuff done now? nothing... except the possibility of screwing yourself over if you do something too late
obesechicken13
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States10467 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-01-07 07:09:51
January 07 2009 06:22 GMT
#52
I said I didn't test my theory <edit>
I think in our modern age technology has evolved to become more addictive. The things that don't give us pleasure aren't used as much. Work was never meant to be fun, but doing it makes us happier in the long run.
MyLostTemple *
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States2921 Posts
January 07 2009 06:31 GMT
#53
with adderall
Follow me on twitter: CallMeTasteless
clazziquai
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
6685 Posts
January 07 2009 06:32 GMT
#54
On January 07 2009 15:31 MyLostTemple wrote:
with adderall


My friends say Adderall is a miracle/savior. Like they can actually focus several hours without being distracted.

I WANT TO TRY THIS SO BAD!
Is it true you need prescription for adderall though?
#1 Sea.Really Fan / #1 Nesh Fan / Terran Forever~
lilsusie
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
3861 Posts
January 07 2009 06:33 GMT
#55
NEED MORE ADDERALL!!
Follow me on Twitter for pictures of cute gamers and food! https://twitter.com/lilsusie
Xusneb
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
Canada612 Posts
January 07 2009 06:40 GMT
#56
Listen to procrastination podcasts!
http://iprocrastinate.libsyn.com/index.php?post_category=podcasts

Haha, the irony is that I found this site while I was procrastinating. Plus, listening to podcasts about procrastinating... hrmmm.

Seriously though, these are quite interesting and I'd recommend anyone listen to them if they want to understand the mindset of a procrastinator. Personally, I agree with his idea that most of us procrastinate because we have some "fear of failure". We're scared that if we do the task, we won't succeed in the way we want to so we just avoid doing it altogether.

Also, a key concept, we make seemingly rational decisions over a short period that builds up to irrational decisions over a long period. Example: I stay on the computer and tell myself it'll only take 5 minutes to check the email. But then it'll only take 10 min to watch jaedong rape some newb zerg. And then it'll only take 10 min to beat off to porn. Etc. until you've wasted a LONG time.

Furthermore, the internet is just such a new technology. As opposed to say doing crack-cocaine, it's easier justify our usage of the 'net. There's no taboo in spending many hours dicking around on youtube.

My own idea: I procrastinate on things because I get all stressed out when I think about schoolwork, my future lol. My warped perspective tells me it's better to be stress-free now and pay later, than to stress a little now and reap the rewards later. Oh yea, I read manifesto's posts in STarN's old topic and I agree that you'll stop procrastinating once you find something you're truly passionate about. Aligning your career with your interests is the true solution to curing procrastination
If you want to be happy, be. - Leo Tolstoy
CommanderFluffy
Profile Joined June 2008
Taiwan1059 Posts
January 07 2009 06:40 GMT
#57
I've heard some horror stories with adderall. My friend took it to write an essay, but instead she got fixated on cleaning shit. Her apartment was spotless in the next six hours but essay was 0% done.
Pain is temporary, but glory is forever.
StrikeFLOW
Profile Joined July 2008
United States369 Posts
January 07 2009 06:41 GMT
#58
How I get things done is....

Schedule a time to begin.
Work 45 minutes, take 20 minute break... repeat.
"Life is a dream from which we all must wake before we can dream again"
mmgoose
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
769 Posts
January 07 2009 06:59 GMT
#59
don't worry. procrastination is a reliable sign that whatever you're putting off isn't really that important.

And you know if a grandmother had a penis she would be a grandfather.
cava
Profile Blog Joined November 2002
United States1035 Posts
January 07 2009 07:11 GMT
#60
Embrace procrastination. Its the best way to live. You end up doing what you want to do instead of work, and still end up doing a decent but maybe rushed job on whatever your neglecting. It always works out.
cava!
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 31m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Zeus 535
Larva 90
Hyun 51
Killer 46
NotJumperer 38
scan(afreeca) 35
Bale 33
ajuk12(nOOB) 19
Hm[arnc] 13
Britney 0
Dota 2
febbydoto121
League of Legends
JimRising 477
Counter-Strike
edward96
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King104
Other Games
summit1g7859
olofmeister852
Coldzera 708
ceh9603
Happy302
Sick145
crisheroes119
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick564
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream30
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• killerbeecast1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2311
League of Legends
• Jankos1010
• Stunt356
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
1h 31m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2h 31m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
15h 31m
Patches Events
1d 7h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.