• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:53
CEST 10:53
KST 17:53
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 20262Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ BW General Discussion Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6782 users

Where to get started?

Forum Index > UEFA Euro 2012
Post a Reply
1 2 3 Next All
IamBach
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States1059 Posts
June 10 2012 04:59 GMT
#1
Hey TL. So I will be going to Germany to stay with a friend(who is a big soccer fan) and I am concerned that I know nothing about the UEFA Euro and that I might be left out of conversations and such. Is there anyway I can learn enough in like 3 days that I could actually sound like I know what I am talking about and participate in discussions and viewings?
If so, where do you recommend I begin? I really don't know anything about soccer other than the rules...
Just listen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__lCZeePG48
Pangolin
Profile Joined March 2008
United States1035 Posts
June 10 2012 05:22 GMT
#2
If you have access to ESPN3 just watch the games and I guess listen to the commentators, all the games are there for free if you have the right isp.
It's easier not to.
Zocat
Profile Joined April 2010
Germany2229 Posts
June 10 2012 05:56 GMT
#3
Maybe take a look at the seeding: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2012_seeding
It's useful to get a basic idea how strong the teams are (and talking about the 2 free seeds for Poland & Ukraine (two host nations) is also a fun topic - since it lead to the group of death B).

Apart from that and actually just watching games... who cares. Just admit you dont know too much and I bet your (drinking?) conversation partner will gladly inform you about everything you need to know (since during EM/WM every single German becomes a football expert).
zf
Profile Joined April 2011
231 Posts
June 10 2012 06:33 GMT
#4
If you're watching ESPN/ESPN3, just believe the opposite of everything Lalas says and you can't go wrong.

In all seriousness, there's no substitute for watching lots and lots of games. And, like everyone else has posted, don't pretend to have knowledge that you don't. It's easy for someone who's been following the sport for decades to identify someone who's a relative newcomer.
lefix
Profile Joined February 2011
Germany1082 Posts
June 10 2012 08:34 GMT
#5
Just pick one or more teams to root for and learn who their natural enemies are. Then watching these games will become much more interesting :D
Map of the Month | The Planetary Workshop | SC2Melee.net
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17850 Posts
June 10 2012 09:01 GMT
#6
You should start with calling it "football", not "soccer" if you're going to watch it in Europe

Watching some games before you go to Germany is a good idea, as you'll get some basic understanding of what's going on. Then, like previous posters said, don't pretend to know more than you do. Watching the games, drinking beer and explaining "superior version of football" to "ignorant muricans" will most likely be fun for people there
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
MotherOfRunes
Profile Joined December 2010
Germany2862 Posts
June 10 2012 09:04 GMT
#7
the onloy thing u can b ecome in 3 days is an annoying guy who thinks he knows something about football (not soccer god dammit) why pretending to be somebody else? either he likes you because he is a freind or he doesnt...you will make a fool out of yourself if you try stuff like that.
"Your Razor sucks!" -Kuroky's Dad
IamBach
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States1059 Posts
June 10 2012 18:48 GMT
#8
Ah ok thanks for the advice. I still don't understand somethings. For instance, according to this website, http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/season=2012/standings/index.html it appears that there are multiple teams from each country? Which one do I root for?
I am not trying to sound like an expert, I just know absolutely nothing about football.
Just listen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__lCZeePG48
Endrew
Profile Joined February 2011
Poland73 Posts
June 10 2012 19:07 GMT
#9
On June 11 2012 03:48 IamBach wrote:
Ah ok thanks for the advice. I still don't understand somethings. For instance, according to this website, http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/season=2012/standings/index.html it appears that there are multiple teams from each country? Which one do I root for?
I am not trying to sound like an expert, I just know absolutely nothing about football.

You're trolling, right?
aqui
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
Germany1023 Posts
June 10 2012 19:10 GMT
#10
On June 11 2012 03:48 IamBach wrote:
Ah ok thanks for the advice. I still don't understand somethings. For instance, according to this website, http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/season=2012/standings/index.html it appears that there are multiple teams from each country? Which one do I root for?
I am not trying to sound like an expert, I just know absolutely nothing about football.

That link has nothing to do with the euros 2012.
The link is about the champions league, which is club football, kinda like the NFL. The euros 2012 are a championship between national teams, like the World Cup except the teams are only from europe.

But really, you don't have to learn anything. Just make sure to pick a team you want to win before every game , this way the tension will make it less boring for you. Just enjoy yourself as best as you can. Beeing from america you will enjoy enough attention no matter your football knowhow.
aqui
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
Germany1023 Posts
June 10 2012 19:10 GMT
#11
On June 11 2012 04:07 Endrew wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 11 2012 03:48 IamBach wrote:
Ah ok thanks for the advice. I still don't understand somethings. For instance, according to this website, http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/season=2012/standings/index.html it appears that there are multiple teams from each country? Which one do I root for?
I am not trying to sound like an expert, I just know absolutely nothing about football.

You're trolling, right?

Whats your problem, he said he doesn't know anything about football.
Endrew
Profile Joined February 2011
Poland73 Posts
June 10 2012 19:37 GMT
#12
On June 11 2012 04:10 aqui wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 11 2012 04:07 Endrew wrote:
On June 11 2012 03:48 IamBach wrote:
Ah ok thanks for the advice. I still don't understand somethings. For instance, according to this website, http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/season=2012/standings/index.html it appears that there are multiple teams from each country? Which one do I root for?
I am not trying to sound like an expert, I just know absolutely nothing about football.

You're trolling, right?

Whats your problem, he said he doesn't know anything about football.

I'm just amazed how ignorant one can be. Just type the title of this sub-forum into google and bam, first link gives you all the info you need to get familiar with EURO. I'm glad he at least recognized Europe is not a single country.
Jinsho
Profile Joined March 2011
United Kingdom3101 Posts
June 10 2012 20:46 GMT
#13
What you need to know about EURO2012:

Germany, Spain, Italy, France, Portugal are likely the strongest contenders.

They are currently in the group stages. Top 2 advance into the single elim playoffs.

Look up the football rules online, and feel free to ask anyone what's going on during the game when you see something you don't understand.

Just watch and enjoy otherwise, as it's really a simple, very flowing game without too many stops or interruptions or weird rulings.
StiX
Profile Joined September 2010
Netherlands220 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-10 20:54:52
June 10 2012 20:54 GMT
#14
On June 11 2012 04:37 Endrew wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 11 2012 04:10 aqui wrote:
On June 11 2012 04:07 Endrew wrote:
On June 11 2012 03:48 IamBach wrote:
Ah ok thanks for the advice. I still don't understand somethings. For instance, according to this website, http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/season=2012/standings/index.html it appears that there are multiple teams from each country? Which one do I root for?
I am not trying to sound like an expert, I just know absolutely nothing about football.

You're trolling, right?

Whats your problem, he said he doesn't know anything about football.

I'm just amazed how ignorant one can be. Just type the title of this sub-forum into google and bam, first link gives you all the info you need to get familiar with EURO. I'm glad he at least recognized Europe is not a single country.


You're totally misusing the word ignorant, he asked the question for a reason. I would be confused too.
"Think for yourself, question authority" Timothy Leary
Silvanel
Profile Blog Joined March 2003
Poland4769 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-10 21:28:24
June 10 2012 21:23 GMT
#15
Yeah he is traying to learn, and You are accusing him of trolling, not nice

The best advice was already given "football" not "soccer"
Pathetic Greta hater.
docvoc
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States5491 Posts
June 10 2012 22:02 GMT
#16
Just know that Germany will win . Seriously though, I follow soccer some, not crazy compared to a lot of people, but a lot for an American in the South where soccer is overshadowed by other sports. The key is to LISTEN be honest with them, say that you know the bare minimum but you want to learn I guarantee they will want to bestow their knowledge on you. A big mistake is to make declarations especially about anyone that is well known that goes against the main idea that is propogated i.e. Bolitelli is just a huge lovebug rather than a great player with some temper tantrums, these can make you seem unknowledgable and can make things awkward.

best of luck, GERMANY HWAITING~~~
User was warned for too many mimes.
IamBach
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States1059 Posts
June 10 2012 22:16 GMT
#17
So I am beginning to realize that I don't have any hope to learn enough to sound educated and maybe it won't be that big of a deal though. Does anyone at least know of any place where I could find what teams are still in and what teams are out? That is what I was trying to figure out when I found that deceptive website.
Just listen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__lCZeePG48
Lyter
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United Kingdom2145 Posts
June 10 2012 22:18 GMT
#18
http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/season=2012/matches/index.html
DannyJ
Profile Joined March 2010
United States5110 Posts
June 10 2012 22:30 GMT
#19
Just wikipedia it dude since apparently you just want the absolute basic information. That has up to date match score and such as well.
Kleinmuuhg
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Vanuatu4091 Posts
June 10 2012 22:37 GMT
#20
just keep quiet , drink your beer and agree that player x and of course the referee is terrible.
that should be enough :D germans fans = tolerant of nubs
This is our town, scrub
1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 7m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 136
EnDerr 5
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 2886
Hyuk 213
Soma 157
Stork 154
Yoon 63
NotJumperer 61
Killer 58
Mong 57
Shinee 53
ToSsGirL 45
[ Show more ]
Sharp 41
Bale 30
ajuk12(nOOB) 23
Hm[arnc] 23
EffOrt 23
yabsab 13
Noble 11
Sacsri 7
League of Legends
JimRising 503
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1186
shoxiejesuss561
ceh9545
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King153
Other Games
summit1g7848
singsing808
Happy333
crisheroes42
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick677
BasetradeTV173
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream34
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 19
• killerbeecast1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• iopq 6
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2199
• WagamamaTV2
League of Legends
• Stunt453
Other Games
• Shiphtur782
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
1h 7m
INu's Battles
2h 7m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
4h 7m
OSC
13h 22m
Replay Cast
14h 7m
OSC
1d 14h
Big Brain Bouts
2 days
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.