• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:06
CEST 15:06
KST 22:06
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War625.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament BW General Discussion Rollback Netcode in Brood War TL Sidebar missing streams [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7994 users

Mechanical Keyboard Guide - Page 337

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
Prev 1 335 336 337 338 339 383 Next
m1rk3
Profile Joined July 2011
Canada412 Posts
January 22 2014 23:00 GMT
#6721
On January 23 2014 00:50 [MD]Frostbite wrote:
tt-esports poseidon mx browns
razer blackwidow
cm storm quickfire xt

Which would be better? I would like to have backlight if possible and I think only the poseidon has that.


what do you want backlighting, low price? poseidon,

no backlighting, braided and detachable cable, cost slightly more? xt

+ Show Spoiler +
razer is shit
For the Dominion!
0excalibur
Profile Joined December 2013
Taiwan11 Posts
January 26 2014 17:18 GMT
#6722
Ok so after 1 week of using my new wasd blue cherry mx I am going to switch back to my browns. I play terran and have 200 apm every game. After using blues for 2 days, my fingers started to hurt a lot and I could not press the keys as fast. Like the bones thst connect to my fingers in my hand. So I am switching back to my zowie cel brown mx. When I started using browns again I was so happy because my hands stop hurtting from long play time. I'd you have both and played one week with one switch and another week with the other switch you can notice a huge difference on the force it takes to press down.

The reason why I got blue mx is because I saw people like flash and innovation using it or I would of got the browns again(i wonder how they can use blues). I needed a tk keyboard and I guess it is time to order another keyboard *sigh
wptlzkwjd
Profile Joined January 2012
Canada1240 Posts
January 26 2014 22:43 GMT
#6723
Why not just stick to your Celeritas?
Feel free to add me on steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/MagnusAskeland/
divito
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Canada1213 Posts
January 27 2014 01:32 GMT
#6724
On January 27 2014 02:18 0excalibur wrote:
Ok so after 1 week of using my new wasd blue cherry mx I am going to switch back to my browns. I play terran and have 200 apm every game. After using blues for 2 days, my fingers started to hurt a lot and I could not press the keys as fast. Like the bones thst connect to my fingers in my hand. So I am switching back to my zowie cel brown mx. When I started using browns again I was so happy because my hands stop hurtting from long play time. I'd you have both and played one week with one switch and another week with the other switch you can notice a huge difference on the force it takes to press down.

The reason why I got blue mx is because I saw people like flash and innovation using it or I would of got the browns again(i wonder how they can use blues). I needed a tk keyboard and I guess it is time to order another keyboard *sigh

Surprised your fingers were able to notice the minute difference in force required. Plus, two days isn't enough time for your hands to get acclimated to the new force. I went from blues to greens, and while I could obviously notice the difference, it took a big longer to get more used to it.
Skype: divito7
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
January 27 2014 04:58 GMT
#6725
On January 27 2014 10:32 divito wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 27 2014 02:18 0excalibur wrote:
Ok so after 1 week of using my new wasd blue cherry mx I am going to switch back to my browns. I play terran and have 200 apm every game. After using blues for 2 days, my fingers started to hurt a lot and I could not press the keys as fast. Like the bones thst connect to my fingers in my hand. So I am switching back to my zowie cel brown mx. When I started using browns again I was so happy because my hands stop hurtting from long play time. I'd you have both and played one week with one switch and another week with the other switch you can notice a huge difference on the force it takes to press down.

The reason why I got blue mx is because I saw people like flash and innovation using it or I would of got the browns again(i wonder how they can use blues). I needed a tk keyboard and I guess it is time to order another keyboard *sigh

Surprised your fingers were able to notice the minute difference in force required. Plus, two days isn't enough time for your hands to get acclimated to the new force. I went from blues to greens, and while I could obviously notice the difference, it took a big longer to get more used to it.


Brown is easier not to bottom out with than blues, i don't like people making judgement in a few hours/days of use though
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
Ursad0n
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States523 Posts
January 28 2014 04:13 GMT
#6726
I've been looking around and I can't seem to find a good answer so I've decided to just ask it here. I currently own a Razer Blackwidow that I bought a few years ago when mechanical keyboards weren't as easy to find around here but recently I've been wanting something a bit smaller. I was looking at the Happy Hacking Pro 2 keyboards but I find them to be quite expensive. Is there more information/reviews from knowledgeable people about These leopold 66 key keyboards on elitekeyboards? Or if there is a better alternative. Thanks in advance!
You make it sound like there's a correlation between what should happen and what actually happens. I mean, life is chaotic and it's often unfair. I know it is for me.
Bisu-Fan
Profile Joined January 2010
Russian Federation3339 Posts
January 31 2014 04:10 GMT
#6727
After long deliberation, I finally got the Ducky Shine 3 TKL. Cherry Blues~ And all I can say is... finger-gasm... Holy crap these feel nice
The Revolutionist Shall Rise Again! No. 1 Kim Taek Yong Fan 어헣↗ GO JAEDONG!!!!!!! GO ACE!!! 태연 <3 윤아 <3 승연 <3
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-01-31 08:17:37
January 31 2014 08:12 GMT
#6728
On January 28 2014 13:13 Ursad0n wrote:
I've been looking around and I can't seem to find a good answer so I've decided to just ask it here. I currently own a Razer Blackwidow that I bought a few years ago when mechanical keyboards weren't as easy to find around here but recently I've been wanting something a bit smaller. I was looking at the Happy Hacking Pro 2 keyboards but I find them to be quite expensive. Is there more information/reviews from knowledgeable people about These leopold 66 key keyboards on elitekeyboards? Or if there is a better alternative. Thanks in advance!


Boards like this http://www.cmstorm.com/images/products/32/image_172.jpg are often cheap

$104 for board that requires half as many switches etc seems a bit much to me
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
BeMannerDuPenner
Profile Blog Joined April 2004
Germany5638 Posts
January 31 2014 23:24 GMT
#6729
On January 23 2014 00:50 [MD]Frostbite wrote:
tt-esports poseidon mx browns
razer blackwidow
cm storm quickfire xt

Which would be better? I would like to have backlight if possible and I think only the poseidon has that.


check qpad mk-80. backlight,comes with all kinds of switches,fair price, good quality.
life of lively to live to life of full life thx to shield battery
[MD]Frostbite
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Canada292 Posts
February 01 2014 02:02 GMT
#6730
On February 01 2014 08:24 BeMannerDuPenner wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 23 2014 00:50 [MD]Frostbite wrote:
tt-esports poseidon mx browns
razer blackwidow
cm storm quickfire xt

Which would be better? I would like to have backlight if possible and I think only the poseidon has that.


check qpad mk-80. backlight,comes with all kinds of switches,fair price, good quality.


129euros is a little on the high side for a keyboard. I wont deny its quality but i woild rather not pay that much
White-Ra, the godfather Protoss
writer22816
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States5775 Posts
February 02 2014 08:14 GMT
#6731
For those of you who already are fast typists and have a mechanical keyboard: is it worth all that money? I can type 120-130 wpm pretty easily on a Thinkpad T530 keyboard; for those of you who type similarly fast, I'm curious to know whether or not you found the mechanical keyboard worth the money. Sure they look super cool and I'd certainly love to have one, but the logical side of me isn't sure if it's worth shelling out $80 for say a CM storm quickfire rapid.

Additionally do people here prefer MX Blues or Browns? I'm a CS major and I will be doing a lot of typing as well as gaming (mostly Dota and TF2 though, maybe one day I'll go back and play SC:BW though). One thing I'm concerned about is the noise, I heard mechanical keyboards make quite a bit of noise, and I'm already a pretty loud and fast typist to begin with, so I'm not sure if getting the MX Blues would be a good idea if it would disturb all the other people around me. Are the Browns significantly quieter?

Lastly is it easy/possible to keep a mechanical keyboard clean? I eat a lot next to my laptop, I've hardly ever spilled anything, but if I spent a lot of money on a fancy keyboard I'd want to be able to keep it clean. Would these keyboards be screwed over if I spilled a little bit of water on it etc?
8/4/12 never forget, never forgive.
trifecta
Profile Joined April 2010
United States6795 Posts
February 02 2014 08:28 GMT
#6732
On February 02 2014 17:14 writer22816 wrote:
For those of you who already are fast typists and have a mechanical keyboard: is it worth all that money? I can type 120-130 wpm pretty easily on a Thinkpad T530 keyboard; for those of you who type similarly fast, I'm curious to know whether or not you found the mechanical keyboard worth the money. Sure they look super cool and I'd certainly love to have one, but the logical side of me isn't sure if it's worth shelling out $80 for say a CM storm quickfire rapid.

Additionally do people here prefer MX Blues or Browns? I'm a CS major and I will be doing a lot of typing as well as gaming (mostly Dota and TF2 though, maybe one day I'll go back and play SC:BW though). One thing I'm concerned about is the noise, I heard mechanical keyboards make quite a bit of noise, and I'm already a pretty loud and fast typist to begin with, so I'm not sure if getting the MX Blues would be a good idea if it would disturb all the other people around me. Are the Browns significantly quieter?

Lastly is it easy/possible to keep a mechanical keyboard clean? I eat a lot next to my laptop, I've hardly ever spilled anything, but if I spent a lot of money on a fancy keyboard I'd want to be able to keep it clean. Would these keyboards be screwed over if I spilled a little bit of water on it etc?


If you're content with what you have, then I don't think a mechanical keyboard is necessary. They are fun and comfortable to type on, but a luxury imo.
wptlzkwjd
Profile Joined January 2012
Canada1240 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-02-02 09:54:26
February 02 2014 09:53 GMT
#6733
On February 02 2014 17:14 writer22816 wrote:
For those of you who already are fast typists and have a mechanical keyboard: is it worth all that money? I can type 120-130 wpm pretty easily on a Thinkpad T530 keyboard; for those of you who type similarly fast, I'm curious to know whether or not you found the mechanical keyboard worth the money. Sure they look super cool and I'd certainly love to have one, but the logical side of me isn't sure if it's worth shelling out $80 for say a CM storm quickfire rapid.

Additionally do people here prefer MX Blues or Browns? I'm a CS major and I will be doing a lot of typing as well as gaming (mostly Dota and TF2 though, maybe one day I'll go back and play SC:BW though). One thing I'm concerned about is the noise, I heard mechanical keyboards make quite a bit of noise, and I'm already a pretty loud and fast typist to begin with, so I'm not sure if getting the MX Blues would be a good idea if it would disturb all the other people around me. Are the Browns significantly quieter?

Lastly is it easy/possible to keep a mechanical keyboard clean? I eat a lot next to my laptop, I've hardly ever spilled anything, but if I spent a lot of money on a fancy keyboard I'd want to be able to keep it clean. Would these keyboards be screwed over if I spilled a little bit of water on it etc?


If you're going for speed, stick with your thinkpad. It has a much shorter travel distance than a mechanical keyboard and you'd be much more familiar.

MX Blues are very noisy and going at 120-130 WPM will be like a rainstorm. Browns don't have the click but will still be very loud because of the keycaps hitting the base of the board (bottoming out). You could shell out more money for ring dampeners but I don't have any personal experience with how effective they are. Reds are nice because they don't have clicks and are easier to type without bottoming out. Trouble is, you will be typing much slower in order to focus on being quiet. Reds are also easy to mis-type because they don't have an accentuation point like Blues or Browns (to a lesser extent).

My advice is to stick to chicklet style keyboards if you want an external one. They are far cheaper and you will be familiar with them.

I've used this keyboard for many years without fail because it's small and easy to carry:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Compact-Mini-Keyboard-Korean-English-Hangul-USB-for-PC-Notebook-QSENN-White-/171042782820?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item27d2f1be64
Feel free to add me on steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/MagnusAskeland/
writer22816
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States5775 Posts
February 02 2014 17:35 GMT
#6734
Thanks for the advice! I do plan on buying a keyboard though because then it would allow me to raise my laptop screen up to eye level, which should help with posture. So I guess my question is, given that I will be buying an external keyboard, is it worth spending the extra money on mechanical or should I just get one of those cheap $15 ones?
8/4/12 never forget, never forgive.
Ropid
Profile Joined March 2009
Germany3557 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-02-02 17:48:31
February 02 2014 17:48 GMT
#6735
When hunting for a $15 keyboard, you should try to find a flat one with reduced travel that mentions "scissor" switches being used. That's what's used in Thinkpad keyboards and is perhaps most of what makes them great.

This keyboard has this as an example: http://www.amazon.com/Cherry-eVolution-STREAM-Multimedia-Keyboard/dp/B001QUDJX8/

Its price sadly seems to be a rip-off on amazon.com. It's sold for less than 20 EUR in Germany. There should be some other keyboard that's just as good for $20 in the US.

Regarding mechanical keyboards, I don't think you will improve your typing at all on a normal mechanical keyboard. I feel paying for it would be a waste for you. What you could do is try a keyboard out of the Cherry G84 line. Those use "ML" switches instead of the MX switches as in the typical mechanical keyboards. The ML switches have reduced travel, a bit like laptop keyboards. The Cherry G84 keyboards are also all using a strange layout, are compact like a laptop keyboard. Look at the Cherry G84-4100 or Cherry G84-5200.
"My goal is to replace my soul with coffee and become immortal."
writer22816
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States5775 Posts
February 02 2014 23:24 GMT
#6736
What does reduced travel mean? is that just referring to a smaller keyboard so your fingers move smaller distances when typing?
8/4/12 never forget, never forgive.
Ropid
Profile Joined March 2009
Germany3557 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-02-02 23:28:11
February 02 2014 23:27 GMT
#6737
No, I meant how much the keys move you press them. On the MX switches that's 4mm until you reach bottom. Those ML switches have 3mm or 2.5mm or something.
"My goal is to replace my soul with coffee and become immortal."
arkedos
Profile Joined July 2011
Germany1426 Posts
February 03 2014 17:57 GMT
#6738
hey guys,

has anyone of you already placed an order at wasdkeyboards.com ? How do I use the layout designer ? Do I simply create a layout save it and then order the keyboard while the layout is still visible ? I am wondering because in the shopping cart the layout is not mentioned...
love esports - hate homophobia
ripster
Profile Joined July 2012
United States64 Posts
February 03 2014 20:01 GMT
#6739
Just dropping this here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/1wwpew/spotted_this_over_at_wasd_keyboards/

[image loading]
The Number One Mechanical Keyboard Expert On The Liquid Planet
[MD]Frostbite
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Canada292 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-02-04 01:10:46
February 04 2014 01:09 GMT
#6740
+ Show Spoiler +
On February 04 2014 05:01 ripster wrote:
Just dropping this here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/1wwpew/spotted_this_over_at_wasd_keyboards/

[image loading]


Theres a thread about custom key caps somewhere on TL. Can't find it anymore though >.<

Edit: Found it http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=264088&currentpage=14
White-Ra, the godfather Protoss
Prev 1 335 336 337 338 339 383 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 54m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 601
Railgan 59
MindelVK 28
Codebar 1
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 68375
Calm 10808
Rain 2418
Bisu 2226
FanTaSy 800
Stork 671
Rush 506
soO 481
Soma 247
Snow 218
[ Show more ]
firebathero 213
Last 177
Light 109
Mind 95
hero 88
Pusan 86
Sharp 56
Free 42
ToSsGirL 41
Trap 39
Bale 36
Mong 31
Hm[arnc] 29
Aegong 22
zelot 19
Sexy 16
HiyA 15
yabsab 15
Noble 14
Sacsri 12
Shine 12
IntoTheRainbow 9
scan(afreeca) 7
Rock 5
Terrorterran 5
Icarus 4
Dota 2
Gorgc8962
Dendi825
Counter-Strike
fl0m2871
byalli1101
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King94
Other Games
gofns36704
singsing2300
B2W.Neo635
Liquid`RaSZi338
Pyrionflax246
Beastyqt135
Hui .113
Trikslyr45
Chillindude18
Happy8
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV223
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• 3DClanTV 104
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP39
• Response 10
• Dystopia_ 7
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV452
League of Legends
• Jankos3116
• Nemesis2920
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 1238
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
1h 54m
BSL Open Qualifier
5h 54m
BSL Open Qualifier
5h 54m
OSC
9h 54m
Replay Cast
9h 54m
OSC
22h 54m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 21h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
4 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Disclosure: This page contains affiliate marketing links that support TLnet.

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.