• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:56
CEST 06:56
KST 13:56
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)54Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7510 users

Need live streaming technical help

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
Ganfei2
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
473 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-02 19:34:56
July 02 2011 19:32 GMT
#1
I've been trying to livestream for a bit now and

These are my computer specs

Processor Intel Core i5-430M (2x2.26GHz, 32nm, 3MB L3)
Chipset Intel PM55
Memory 2x2GB DDR3-1333 @ 9-9-9-24 Timings
Graphics ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5850 1GB GDDR5
HD 500 GB 7200 RPM

My internet is about 12 down and fluctuates between 1.1-1.5 upload. Now I realize that the upload isn't particularly high and I am going to call my ISP to see if I can pay a small fee to increase it but that's not the issue here.

I am trying to stream Heroes of Newerth using xSplit. HON already rapes my RAM because it is apparently coded poorly and has a memory leak. I want to be able to stream at a resolution where the text int he game is readable and have no reason to try to increase it over that.

I was streaming at 1088x612 to maintain my 16 ratio (I play at 1920x1080). I had one of the lower, recommended audio settings as well. I have one of those little gadgets that shows me CPU and RAM use and while my RAM use wasn't much higher than what it normally is for HON alone, my CPU was at 99% use AND I couldn't play HON without much lag.

So my question is, if that is the case will increasing my upload bandwidth help at all? My friend tells me that lowering the streamed quality actually uses more CPU power because it has to be compressed, is that true? If I have a higher upload then I can stream at a resolution closer to my native resolution, will that lower CPU use?

Of these options what will most enable me to stream with less lag:

Changing the stream resolution
Increasing upload bandwidth through my ISP
Changing audio bitrate
Changing graphics settings in the game
Playing in windowed mode that is smaller than my desktop's resolution (I am currently using 1920x1080 windowed to avoid stream flickering).

Thanks for any help.
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
July 02 2011 19:36 GMT
#2
You really need 4 cores to stream while gaming. Not much getting around that on modern games.

Ganfei2
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
473 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-02 19:42:21
July 02 2011 19:42 GMT
#3
I see. So it's unlikely that I will be able to stream without a stronger processor? Is there no possibility then?
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
July 02 2011 19:43 GMT
#4
On July 03 2011 04:42 Ganfei2 wrote:
I see. So it's unlikely that I will be able to stream without a stronger processor? Is there no possibility then?


Pretty much. Streaming is CPU intensive. You can try lowering the framerate you stream at, but I doubt it will help significantly.
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
July 02 2011 19:46 GMT
#5
You're pretty much boned with the i5-430M, sorry to say.

As for what could potentially help out, that depends on the encoder, which I'm not too familiar with. Possibly turning down graphics settings would help, particularly if they involve things like physics calculations. Also, making the screen less flashy would make the video easier to encode. Generally, lowering quality and fps should decrease the load on the CPU.

Resizing is kind of an expensive operation. Try exactly 960x540 and hope for the best.

Increasing upload shouldn't help. It's your dual core's fault, and it's not even a particularly fast dual core at that.
kYem
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United Kingdom412 Posts
July 02 2011 19:50 GMT
#6
2.26 is really low and only two cores, i doubt you can do anything about it without changing your cpu
Hell
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
July 02 2011 19:51 GMT
#7
I would say you might be able to help yourself out by making sure you close all extraneous processes, and verifying that your laptop is set to a performance power plan and not balanced or power saver. Won't help much, but it may help a bit.
Ganfei2
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
473 Posts
July 02 2011 20:51 GMT
#8
Well I took it down to 1280x1024 resolution and just played on an older monitor that is native 4:3 with the stream at 1280x720, 1kbps uplaod and it looks pretty much perfect with 0 lag so I guess I'll just go with that. Thanks for the replies.
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
July 02 2011 21:53 GMT
#9
On July 03 2011 05:51 Ganfei2 wrote:
Well I took it down to 1280x1024 resolution and just played on an older monitor that is native 4:3 with the stream at 1280x720, 1kbps uplaod and it looks pretty much perfect with 0 lag so I guess I'll just go with that. Thanks for the replies.


Do you have a video recorded of this working?
Ganfei2
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
473 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-02 22:27:23
July 02 2011 22:22 GMT
#10
I realized I made a mistake, I was actually at 1024x768. My only requirement is that the text on the screen be legible so this was fine for me. I will tweak more later on to figure out if I can improve the image. It took me to about 60% CPU use and 60% RAM use. Also need to figure out how to turn off the mic pickin up me hitting keys. I tested playing some random track during it and the quality was decent as well ( a beautiful 2pac song called Wonda Why They Call You Bitch lol)

This is the 1280x1024 monitor, 1024x768 stream

http://www.justin.tv/honkhonkbeep/b/289337328
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
00:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech138
Nina 97
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2121
Shuttle 1039
Snow 114
Dewaltoss 64
Hm[arnc] 36
Bale 35
Noble 27
Icarus 6
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm161
League of Legends
JimRising 615
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 1113
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor624
Other Games
summit1g8380
C9.Mang0305
PiGStarcraft282
RuFF_SC2167
Mew2King165
ViBE57
ArmadaUGS43
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream74
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• practicex 25
• Letter144
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2339
League of Legends
• Lourlo1120
• Rush924
• Stunt299
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
8h 4m
OSC
17h 4m
CranKy Ducklings
1d 5h
Online Event
1d 6h
FEL
1d 11h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 12h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 14h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.