• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:02
CEST 18:02
KST 01:02
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)74Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9332 users

Simple Questions Simple Answers - Page 306

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
Prev 1 304 305 306 307 308 653 Next
skyR
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada13817 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-07 18:47:00
April 07 2013 18:46 GMT
#6101
On April 08 2013 03:42 ghindo wrote:
I have a desktop I made myself a few years ago that I'd like to buy some new RAM for. Is it advisable to buy two sticks of dual channel RAM that run at a higher speed than the RAM I already have and use the old and new RAM concurrently, or should I just swap out the new for the old? I mean, I have two empty slots, but I'm not sure if the difference in speed would have any effects.


The higher speed memory you buy will run at the lower speed that your current memory operates at if you want to use four sticks so there's really no point in doing this. Either just use new memory or buy the same speed sticks.
ghindo
Profile Joined March 2012
United States58 Posts
April 07 2013 19:03 GMT
#6102
On April 08 2013 03:46 skyR wrote:
The higher speed memory you buy will run at the lower speed that your current memory operates at if you want to use four sticks so there's really no point in doing this. Either just use new memory or buy the same speed sticks.

Gotcha, thanks!
Craton
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States17303 Posts
April 07 2013 23:24 GMT
#6103
On my old PC some time ago I was able to keep flash video full screen even while muted which I think was caused by disabling one of the three flash plugins that Chrome used. These days there are only two, but neither has that effect.

Is there some way to achieve this still?
twitch.tv/cratonz
waffling1
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
599 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-08 01:39:28
April 08 2013 01:36 GMT
#6104
On April 08 2013 00:47 mav451 wrote:
This needs to be verified before we discuss further. If the card doesn't even work in another box, then it may well be a GPU-issue. (And what a time to upgrade Like I said, the 5830 was just not an power-efficient card in the 58XX series line-up)


yes, my GPU works on my other computer, but it has some hiccups. It may be partially damaged, but not starting at all doesn't seem like a GPU issue per se. it could be an interaction between the new mobo and bios settings.


*Another thought - is it still under warranty? It's a 2010 part, so it may be running really close, depending on when you bought it. You can use the Ivybridge IGP in the mean-time.


ah great. i can't believe i didn't htink of that.

it was 2 year warranty and it's been almost 3 years.
(warrantee and guarantee should be spelled with the same ending, like this)

Belial88
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States5217 Posts
April 08 2013 04:34 GMT
#6105
What's the best way to set up a desktop background on dual monitor? I got it set up so it's like 1280x1024 // 1360x768.

Do I use a program, does windows 7 do it right, what kind of background do I look for? I haven't used a background for over 3 lol. I was thinking of getting a cityscape of some kind as my background.
How to build a $500 i7-3770K Ultimate Computer:http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=392709 ******** 100% Safe Razorless Delid Method! http://www.overclock.net/t/1376206/how-to-delid-your-ivy-bridge-cpu-with-out-a-razor-blade/0_100
Infernal_dream
Profile Joined September 2011
United States2359 Posts
April 08 2013 04:45 GMT
#6106
On April 08 2013 13:34 Belial88 wrote:
What's the best way to set up a desktop background on dual monitor? I got it set up so it's like 1280x1024 // 1360x768.

Do I use a program, does windows 7 do it right, what kind of background do I look for? I haven't used a background for over 3 lol. I was thinking of getting a cityscape of some kind as my background.


You can use actual multiple monitors (good for other things besides just the background). You can pick two different ones (one for each) or one used on both screens or one stretched over both screens.
skyR
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada13817 Posts
April 08 2013 04:55 GMT
#6107
Windows 7 has no support for multi-monitor backgrounds. You'll need a program for that like Display Fusion.

Personally I think having one image stretched across two monitors with different resolutions looks retarded.
Belial88
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States5217 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-08 05:27:24
April 08 2013 05:26 GMT
#6108
display fusion, thanks, that what i needed to know. all the stuff i had found was really old and the site looked super old too, even if it was w7 compatible.
How to build a $500 i7-3770K Ultimate Computer:http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=392709 ******** 100% Safe Razorless Delid Method! http://www.overclock.net/t/1376206/how-to-delid-your-ivy-bridge-cpu-with-out-a-razor-blade/0_100
ALPINA
Profile Joined May 2010
3791 Posts
April 08 2013 12:08 GMT
#6109
Anyone knows how to make Word 2007 slider work in real time, just like any other slider in other applications, like Excel, etc?
You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity
Jinxed
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
United States6450 Posts
April 08 2013 19:30 GMT
#6110
If I partition off a section of my hard drive, then install a new OS (going from 7 32 bit to 7 64 bit), will it save the partitioned items or will it erase them as well?
LiquidDota Staff"LeLoup is a great name pls undo." -Liquid`Nazgul
Rannasha
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Netherlands2398 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-08 20:39:10
April 08 2013 20:38 GMT
#6111
On April 09 2013 04:30 LeLoup wrote:
If I partition off a section of my hard drive, then install a new OS (going from 7 32 bit to 7 64 bit), will it save the partitioned items or will it erase them as well?


Partitions exist independent of operating systems, so removing or installing operating systems doesn't change the partition layout. Installing an operating system only affects the partition(s) you select for the OS during the installation, any other partitions remain untouched. Which is why it is recommended to store your large data files on a different partition than your OS.

edit: Of course you should be careful when installing the OS to select the correct partition (and definitely not pick the 'use entire disk' option).
Such flammable little insects!
IRL_Sinister
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Ireland621 Posts
April 08 2013 21:39 GMT
#6112
Hey,

Simple question: is twitch.tv down for EU users at the moment? Can't watch ANY stream.
Craton
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States17303 Posts
April 08 2013 22:22 GMT
#6113
With DisplayFusion you want to get one of the older versions before they tried to stick a 30 day trial on it.

Because of how it makes one large image, it will screw up alignment if you move any of your monitors up or down in the resolution config screen of Windows (re-applying through DF will fix it).
twitch.tv/cratonz
waffling1
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
599 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-08 22:59:05
April 08 2013 22:58 GMT
#6114
Update:

We've ruled out PSU being too low, even on my inefficient Radeon 5830.

I tried resetting the CMOS. I tried using different PCIe slots for my graphics card. The computer still wont boot if the GPU power cables are plugged in.

As far as setting the PCIe slots to 2.0, is that the same as setting it to XHCI (rather than AHCI)? If so, I've done that, too, but to no avail.

A guy in a different forum said he fixed the issue by unplugging everything, including fan controllers. I'm reluctant to do this because there is a possibility that that is not the problem, and because I don't want to do all the hardware screwing, including refitting the CPU cooler. But I'm out of things to try.

(I haven't even made progress on my windows activation, SSD transfer, and all the overclocking work)
Belial88
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States5217 Posts
April 08 2013 23:46 GMT
#6115

With DisplayFusion you want to get one of the older versions before they tried to stick a 30 day trial on it.

Because of how it makes one large image, it will screw up alignment if you move any of your monitors up or down in the resolution config screen of Windows (re-applying through DF will fix it).


Okay so what do I use then? Where can I find an old version of DF, if that's what you recommend?

I tried resetting the CMOS. I tried using different PCIe slots for my graphics card. The computer still wont boot if the GPU power cables are plugged in.

As far as setting the PCIe slots to 2.0, is that the same as setting it to XHCI (rather than AHCI)? If so, I've done that, too, but to no avail.


XHCI is basically the protocol for USB 3.0. AHCI has nothing to do with USB, it has to do with ssd/hdd set-ups. You should use AHCI for your sata ports (I'm assuming you aren't using raid as that's a bit complicated lol). Don't mess with XHCI - yes, I'm sure like me you aren't using any usb 3.0 devices nor ever plan to, but there's no reason to disable it and it should just run on usb 2.0 automatically. Disabling USB 3.0 because you dont use usb 3.0 devices gets into being super tedious and such - I personally go through my bios and manually change every option from auto to whatever they need to be, and even I don't mess with XHCI and handoffs and such, it's just not worth it at all.

You should see the option for pci-e slots, if you press f1 (ie, use the basic menu, not the flashy 3d menu), then the bottom option. Go to miscellenaous options:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

Set to Gen2 instead of auto. Try gen3 if that doesnt work. You shouldn't have to mess with it, really, but seeing your current predicament might as well try it.

A guy in a different forum said he fixed the issue by unplugging everything, including fan controllers. I'm reluctant to do this because there is a possibility that that is not the problem, and because I don't want to do all the hardware screwing, including refitting the CPU cooler. But I'm out of things to try.


You have a fan controller? There is no harm in unplugging a fan controller. Most people don't even have a fan controller, why would you be reluctant to unplug it?

Do you mean fans? In which case, if you unplug all your fans, there is nothing wrong, except if you unplug your CPU fan, in which case the system will get mad there is no fan plugged into the CPU fan slot (technically you can put the water pump, an LED, a thermal diode there, it doesnt know the difference, it just knows whether something is plugged in or not and how fast it spins if it does spin and does report it's spinning speed). There should be an option to disable CPU fan fail warning in your bios though (under PC Health), as long as you have a heatsink on, and don't go under high load for extended periods (ie boot up is fine), then no problem just to try to boot up to solve the issue.

So sure, try it.

Your question is getting a bit above this forum, you should really go to overclock.net and post in the official gigabyte z77x owners club (of which Im a proud member): http://www.overclock.net/t/1239993/official-gigabyte-z77x-owners-discussion-information-support-thread-and-club-ud5h-ud3h-d3h-and-all/5100_100
How to build a $500 i7-3770K Ultimate Computer:http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=392709 ******** 100% Safe Razorless Delid Method! http://www.overclock.net/t/1376206/how-to-delid-your-ivy-bridge-cpu-with-out-a-razor-blade/0_100
skyR
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada13817 Posts
April 09 2013 00:37 GMT
#6116
I think you'd want 3.x but there's probably simpler wallpaper bitch software.
Awrodo
Profile Joined October 2010
Sweden6 Posts
April 09 2013 01:38 GMT
#6117
How do i get my Stream to actually be on teamliquid?
I have set my stream to be on Teamliquids site but i do need a path key or smth?
Justin tv and all that jazz works fine, but i want to be here, i have applyd like 2 years ago to be allowed to stream here and have been before, but now i changed from twitch to teamliquid but it says stream is offline [Cause of i need a path link]?
Hope you understand what i mean :p
Ktk
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Korea (South)753 Posts
April 09 2013 02:03 GMT
#6118
@ the hot temps issue. Thanks for all the advice.
Load temps on the graphics card: MSI Kombustor: 99C then throttled (I got pretty worried when I saw this but I heard the graphics card is OK'd until 105C? Still don't want it that high. In DotA I get load temps of around 78-85C.

Load CPU temps: sc2: 65C tops. I'm not too worried about the CPU actually, really.

My GPU idle's at 60c and again it's completely normal as they can run fine into the 90's and fan profiles tend to stay towards low noise on GPU's until temps break into the 70's or 80's at least.

That's somewhat reassuring, however.. lol

This is confusing to me, what do you mean? You are exhausting air from both front and back, intake from side?

Exactly that. Sound-conscious, and the case makes a lot of noise when the side fan blows the other direction. Reading it, I have no idea why I replaced all my "on"s with "out"s. My bad

I'm in LA so ambient temps not too bad right now, but necessarily ideal/frigid sure, say 70F on a good day.

Those temps still apply after my computer back to specs (3.47ghz cpu, 1333mhz ram). Maybe the CPU is 2C lower now.

All my fans are these: http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-120mm-Silent-Value/dp/B000O8I474
Not scythe/noctua-tier but hey.

I'll make front fan an intake (and just generally fiddle with the fan organization) and see what happens. Thanks all.
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
April 09 2013 02:33 GMT
#6119
Is your GPU a blower, or open fan style? (not sure how to describe this) and do you have any way to measure temps in case? Even with small case i would not expect temps that bad, 85c is fine on GPU but if you can be brought to throttling temps in stress test then you probably have fans up a ton when playing any GPU intensive game - I know i do, but my GPU is like 15-25c cooler than yours and my other one was too (mid-sized atx tower case with 120-140mm front intake and back exhaust, top exhaust im not sure of fan size)
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
Craton
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States17303 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-09 02:55:08
April 09 2013 02:54 GMT
#6120
On April 09 2013 10:38 Awrodo wrote:
How do i get my Stream to actually be on teamliquid?
I have set my stream to be on Teamliquids site but i do need a path key or smth?
Justin tv and all that jazz works fine, but i want to be here, i have applyd like 2 years ago to be allowed to stream here and have been before, but now i changed from twitch to teamliquid but it says stream is offline [Cause of i need a path link]?
Hope you understand what i mean :p

There's nothing like that for TL. You just need to have the correct stream associated with your account:

http://www.teamliquid.net/video/newstream.php


On April 09 2013 11:33 Cyro wrote:
Is your GPU a blower, or open fan style? (not sure how to describe this)

AKA does it intake from the side of the card and blow out the rear of the case or does it just blow into the case?
twitch.tv/cratonz
Prev 1 304 305 306 307 308 653 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7h 58m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech148
UpATreeSC 76
TKL 49
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 5026
Bisu 1945
Soulkey 1609
EffOrt 828
Mini 596
Horang2 388
Larva 357
ZerO 327
ggaemo 255
actioN 251
[ Show more ]
Yoon 116
Dewaltoss 112
Mind 92
sorry 84
hero 76
Shinee 70
Sharp 70
Barracks 65
Pusan 57
Snow 48
Hyun 43
Bale 33
Trap 27
ToSsGirL 24
NaDa 20
Terrorterran 18
Rock 17
scan(afreeca) 13
Sacsri 11
Noble 9
zelot 9
ajuk12(nOOB) 6
Dota 2
Gorgc5500
qojqva2516
Dendi1281
420jenkins290
League of Legends
Reynor65
Counter-Strike
fl0m3122
x6flipin1212
Fnx 673
edward40
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes365
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi1272
hiko1039
B2W.Neo448
DeMusliM299
XBOCT236
Livibee231
Liquid`VortiX206
QueenE98
FrodaN69
Mew2King43
ZerO(Twitch)18
Organizations
Other Games
WardiTV72
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream29
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 76
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 37
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV616
League of Legends
• Nemesis3487
• TFBlade587
Other Games
• Shiphtur474
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
7h 58m
Patches Events
23h 58m
The PondCast
1d 17h
INu's Battles
1d 18h
Percival vs TBD
Zoun vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Disclosure: This page contains affiliate marketing links that support TLnet.

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.