• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:56
CEST 04:56
KST 11:56
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach0[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon101Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool The Death of Cheese: From a Professional Cheeser
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach StarCraft Human 'N' AI League
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9662 users

Help me choose between 2 Graphics Cards - Page 3

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
May 25 2011 05:48 GMT
#41
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=239

Review of the V2. Solid.
MorNin
Profile Joined June 2010
United States443 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-25 06:07:44
May 25 2011 06:07 GMT
#42
Too bad you are stuck on that site.. I bought my GTX (768 though) for 100 after rebates :/
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162058
Edit: Link
wesbare
Profile Joined January 2011
United States35 Posts
May 25 2011 06:11 GMT
#43
I had the same concern about ATI drivers when I chose a card. Someone, maybe SkyR, talked me into buying the Asus HD 6850. Great card. Zero driver problems. First card from Newegg had to be RMAd but that could happen with any card. Replacement card works beautifully. Have FPS capped at 75 on ultra settings with moderate AA at 1440x900. FPS stays at 72 and never drops in 1v1 or 2v2 play. Havent tried 3v3 or 4v4. If i did i would just take AA off. This is all without any GPU overclock, and with my i5 2500k clocked to 4.5 ghz.

All of this to say, if the 6870 is cheaper... get it.
He Is Risen
TobZero
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Germany493 Posts
May 25 2011 09:33 GMT
#44
currently i have the 6870 and im fine with it. no problems whatsoever. i dont know where all those complains about driver problems come from - i cant support them.
i run 2 screens on it: a 19'' widescreen with 1440*900 and a 24'' widescreen in 1920*1080. cant report any problems or errors. i can play next to every game on max on the 24'' while watching movies or streams on the second screen.

i want to add that im neither ati nor nvidia biased as i switch between both brands from time to time (had a nvidia before the 6870 and was fine with it too).

dont want to tell you which to buy, just to describe my experience.
you have to decide yourself which suites you best!
-= we are the swarm =-
dxong
Profile Joined July 2010
Denmark109 Posts
May 25 2011 10:02 GMT
#45
6870 is cheaper and performs better than 460. Many people just hang onto the past saying terrible drivers or follow suit without having any experience.
hello kitty
writer22816
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States5775 Posts
May 25 2011 10:57 GMT
#46
6870 for sure, much better price/performance wise. I use an ATI card and I don't have any complaints about the drivers. To be perfectly honest, I heard that NVIDIA drivers are just as bad if not worse.
8/4/12 never forget, never forgive.
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
May 25 2011 11:44 GMT
#47
On May 25 2011 19:57 writer22816 wrote:
6870 for sure, much better price/performance wise. I use an ATI card and I don't have any complaints about the drivers. To be perfectly honest, I heard that NVIDIA drivers are just as bad if not worse.


AMD and Nvidia both tend to have their moments with drivers, I wouldn't try to say either is "the worst", as with all things GPU, it's too specific to when you ask about what game and what configuration.

You can find true horror stories for both, but you'll still buy a GPU, so the best bet is to get the one that does the best job for what you want that's inside your budget.
clusen
Profile Joined May 2010
Germany8702 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-25 13:12:19
May 25 2011 13:10 GMT
#48
There is one difference between ATI and Nvidia concerning drivers: image quality

note: the following applies to enthusiasts only, if you are not always shooting for max IQ, if you do not know what supersampling, downsampling and all that stuff is, if you are not buying high end cards - it does not matter to you. It's still worth to be mentioned in this driver debate.

Nvidia offers you a way to disable any kind of driver level interference with AF quality, ATI does not. The HQ setting is untouchable by ATI, the best they can offer is at the same level as the Q setting for Nvidia. For most people that does not matter, but for some it does. Some people even call it cheating by ATI, because many review sites use the standard settings in the driver, which means that ATI is benchmarked with a slightly worse IQ which results in a minor performance boost(not even 5%). Nvidia also has the advantage of third party tools, which again is only important for enthusiasts.

Apart from that both drivers work equally well, both have their issues sometimes.
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-25 13:15:06
May 25 2011 13:14 GMT
#49
Generally best not to muddy the water with facts. It's kind of like the people who ask if they should go multi-GPU. If they need to ask, the answer is incredibly likely to be "no".

Inundate people with too much information, and they may end up spending more on something they'll never actually learn to use.
Siran
Profile Joined April 2011
Germany4 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-25 13:42:55
May 25 2011 13:34 GMT
#50
Getting back to the driver issues: there were indeed some Ati specific driver issues regarding Starcraft, for instance a display bug with protoss pylons that took months to get fixed and some people are still experiencing mouse lag in the upper right screen corner. Then again, I've been running Starcraft on my mobile HD5650 without the mouse issues and the display bug wasn't that big of a deal, same with my HD4870 which I recently switched for an nvidia 560 ti, that did not have a single problem with SC2 yet.

Still, I'd recommend the HD6870 as well: I never experienced any major driver issues with Ati, same with nvidia, but in this case, the 6870 will be the faster one in Starcraft 2 (provided you don't use Anti-Aliasing, which I wouldn't recommend on both cards anyways, since they lack the power to keep decent framerates for SC2 at higher resolutions with AA enabled)
purecarnagge
Profile Joined August 2010
719 Posts
May 25 2011 21:03 GMT
#51
I currently have a 560 EVGA superclocked. don't regret it one bit... I view it as the best bang for your buck card with minimal hassel...
Otak
Profile Joined April 2011
United Kingdom110 Posts
May 25 2011 21:19 GMT
#52
I had a gtx 460 as a replacement for a 5770 that i bought which went back to the shop 3 times. It just wouldn't work properly no matter what i tried (including flashing the BIOS) and I have 3 friends with the 5770 who have all had problems with it. Whether or not the 6000 series are any better I don't know but I know I won't be buying ATI again. I also knew virtually nothing about graphics cards before i got my new one so the nvidia fanboyism doesn't apply here.
Umilard
Profile Joined October 2010
Sweden38 Posts
May 25 2011 21:25 GMT
#53
On May 23 2011 17:33 KOVU wrote:
Hmm, I'm in a similar situation.

What about GTX 560 Ti vs 6950 (1GB)? I was told that the 560 Ti is a much better option, would anyone care to shed some light on it?


6950 has slightly better performance generally but are louder than 560Ti. Blizzard games tend to favour nvidia cards tho so a 560ti might very well outperform the 6950 in sc2. I have a Gigabyte 560ti OC myself and it's really silent and I haven't had any issues with it but there has been problems with cards that aren't stable at the factory oc. However, most of the people having issues are people that have crappy power supplies.

I wouldn't care that much about "driver issues", both of them come up with terrible drivers at times, just recently a bunch of 590 GTX burned up in testlabs becouse of driver issues.
Greem
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
730 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-25 21:44:39
May 25 2011 21:37 GMT
#54
On May 26 2011 06:25 Umilard wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 23 2011 17:33 KOVU wrote:
Hmm, I'm in a similar situation.

What about GTX 560 Ti vs 6950 (1GB)? I was told that the 560 Ti is a much better option, would anyone care to shed some light on it?


6950 has slightly better performance generally but are louder than 560Ti. Blizzard games tend to favour nvidia cards tho so a 560ti might very well outperform the 6950 in sc2. I have a Gigabyte 560ti OC myself and it's really silent and I haven't had any issues with it but there has been problems with cards that aren't stable at the factory oc. However, most of the people having issues are people that have crappy power supplies.

I wouldn't care that much about "driver issues", both of them come up with terrible drivers at times, just recently a bunch of 590 GTX burned up in testlabs becouse of driver issues.


I would agree with this, Blizzard games tend to be more stable on NVIDIA, I never had any ATI card personally , atm using GTX 470, gonna upgrade to 470xSLI soon since i dont think 560 ti will overrun 2x470 sli, that my actual opinion, havent checked that yet.

Hm, but again why you buying 460 instead of 560 ti, since 560 costs like 40$ more, am i right ?
EDIT: Thats if you can add money on top of your voucher.
youtube.com/N0rthernL1ght
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
May 25 2011 21:41 GMT
#55
On May 26 2011 06:37 Greem wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 26 2011 06:25 Umilard wrote:
On May 23 2011 17:33 KOVU wrote:
Hmm, I'm in a similar situation.

What about GTX 560 Ti vs 6950 (1GB)? I was told that the 560 Ti is a much better option, would anyone care to shed some light on it?


6950 has slightly better performance generally but are louder than 560Ti. Blizzard games tend to favour nvidia cards tho so a 560ti might very well outperform the 6950 in sc2. I have a Gigabyte 560ti OC myself and it's really silent and I haven't had any issues with it but there has been problems with cards that aren't stable at the factory oc. However, most of the people having issues are people that have crappy power supplies.

I wouldn't care that much about "driver issues", both of them come up with terrible drivers at times, just recently a bunch of 590 GTX burned up in testlabs becouse of driver issues.


I would agree with this, Blizzard games tend to have more stable on NVIDIA, I don't never had any ATI card personally , atm using GTX 470, gonna upgrade to 470xSLI soon since i dont think 560 ti will overrun 2x470 sli, that my actual opinion, havent checked that yet.

Hm, but again why you buying 460 instead of 560 ti, since 560 costs like 40$ more, am i right ?


No, the 560 won't do better than SLI 470's in games with SLI profiles. Do your research about SLI scaling in games you play before comitting, SLI can be a headache. Also, check that you have a hell of a PSU before you upgrade to that jet engine simulator next to your desk. It'll be hot and loud.
Greem
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
730 Posts
May 25 2011 21:49 GMT
#56
On May 26 2011 06:41 JingleHell wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 26 2011 06:37 Greem wrote:
On May 26 2011 06:25 Umilard wrote:
On May 23 2011 17:33 KOVU wrote:
Hmm, I'm in a similar situation.

What about GTX 560 Ti vs 6950 (1GB)? I was told that the 560 Ti is a much better option, would anyone care to shed some light on it?


6950 has slightly better performance generally but are louder than 560Ti. Blizzard games tend to favour nvidia cards tho so a 560ti might very well outperform the 6950 in sc2. I have a Gigabyte 560ti OC myself and it's really silent and I haven't had any issues with it but there has been problems with cards that aren't stable at the factory oc. However, most of the people having issues are people that have crappy power supplies.

I wouldn't care that much about "driver issues", both of them come up with terrible drivers at times, just recently a bunch of 590 GTX burned up in testlabs becouse of driver issues.


I would agree with this, Blizzard games tend to have more stable on NVIDIA, I don't never had any ATI card personally , atm using GTX 470, gonna upgrade to 470xSLI soon since i dont think 560 ti will overrun 2x470 sli, that my actual opinion, havent checked that yet.

Hm, but again why you buying 460 instead of 560 ti, since 560 costs like 40$ more, am i right ?


No, the 560 won't do better than SLI 470's in games with SLI profiles. Do your research about SLI scaling in games you play before comitting, SLI can be a headache. Also, check that you have a hell of a PSU before you upgrade to that jet engine simulator next to your desk. It'll be hot and loud.


Thx for advice, i do have good 1k PSU, noice isn't really an issue either. But ill take precaution and do the extensive research before commiting to it, single 470 is doing amazing for me right now.
youtube.com/N0rthernL1ght
Greem
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
730 Posts
May 25 2011 21:57 GMT
#57
On May 26 2011 06:37 Greem wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 26 2011 06:25 Umilard wrote:
On May 23 2011 17:33 KOVU wrote:
Hmm, I'm in a similar situation.

What about GTX 560 Ti vs 6950 (1GB)? I was told that the 560 Ti is a much better option, would anyone care to shed some light on it?


6950 has slightly better performance generally but are louder than 560Ti. Blizzard games tend to favour nvidia cards tho so a 560ti might very well outperform the 6950 in sc2. I have a Gigabyte 560ti OC myself and it's really silent and I haven't had any issues with it but there has been problems with cards that aren't stable at the factory oc. However, most of the people having issues are people that have crappy power supplies.

I wouldn't care that much about "driver issues", both of them come up with terrible drivers at times, just recently a bunch of 590 GTX burned up in testlabs becouse of driver issues.


I would agree with this, Blizzard games tend to be more stable on NVIDIA, I never had any ATI card personally , atm using GTX 470, gonna upgrade to 470xSLI soon since i dont think 560 ti will overrun 2x470 sli, that my actual opinion, havent checked that yet.

Hm, but again why you buying 460 instead of 560 ti, since 560 costs like 40$ more, am i right ?
EDIT: Thats if you can add money on top of your voucher.


http://www.anandtech.com/show/4344/nvidias-geforce-gtx-560-top-to-bottom-overclock

It is actually 70$ more expensive.
youtube.com/N0rthernL1ght
TheGiftedApe
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1243 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-25 22:01:30
May 25 2011 22:01 GMT
#58
running a 6870 right now, works great, no problems.
xO-Gaming.com || [xO]TheGiftedApe.364 || xO-Gaming Manager.
Starp
Profile Joined November 2010
Canada199 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-26 13:30:40
May 25 2011 22:05 GMT
#59
I have the 6870 for about 5 months and I think it's great. I haven't had any problems with their drivers at all (have updated 4 times within a few months with no problems. I use Win7pro64bit.) Use it with MSI Afterburner for customize fan speed and it's great. My GPU temperatures never go above 65C at about 43% fan speed with ambient room temperature in low 20's. (With Starcraft 2 -- all low settings, it's in the mid 50C at lower fan speed of course)

I would definitely get 6870 over 460. But haven't said that I saw that I could have gotten the 6950 for the same price 4-5 months later ... (sigh)

6950>560ti>6870>460

Get whichever you like, you can't really lose...just look for good deals over a few weeks if time permits.

(This was my first real significant graphics card purchase and I'm very happy with it. ... look at the size of that thing! lol woohoo)

Edit: I like AMD ATI but don't dislike Nvidia (they power my laptop and maybe my netbook I think)
"I am wasting away here...click me" - a big Thor
jacosajh
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
2919 Posts
May 25 2011 22:28 GMT
#60
Coming from an AMD fanboy of course Id recommended the AMD. Ive used nothing but AMD in the last 5 years and I havent had any problems, even with cards said to be riddled with bugs. For example, there was a big voltage drop issue in the 5700 series a while back. It got fixed and I had no idea it even existed until it got fixed (from reading online). and i have 4 of these (2x crossfire) and put another in a computer i just built for my dad.

having used other amd cards with no issues i dont see why you wouldnt get something with more power for cheaper just because there were some bugs a while back in thr companies history -- which were fixed and its not like its competitor has its own issues. being an amd fanboy i would argue that amds prices are much better which is why nvidia issues gimped cards (typically from its flagship cards) just to grab a piece of the market share. i think that should tell you something.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
00:00
2026 GSTL: Grand Finals
CranKy Ducklings127
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
23:00
OSC Masters Cup #151 Qualifier
davetesta33
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 223
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 10595
Terrorterran 1
Dota 2
monkeys_forever1144
NeuroSwarm200
febbydoto17
League of Legends
Doublelift5452
JimRising 712
Counter-Strike
taco 248
minikerr47
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King262
hungrybox115
Other Games
summit1g9874
Maynarde241
ArmadaUGS56
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick459
StarCraft: Brood War
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 6
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 209
• Letter143
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 3
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo726
• Rush348
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
7h 4m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
8h 4m
Monday Night Weeklies
13h 4m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 7h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 7h
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 21h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.