• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:52
CEST 00:52
KST 07:52
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)61Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Bot on ladder Data analysis on 8 million games BW General Discussion Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8250 users

Razer Blackwidow Review

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 20 21 22 Next All
Itazy
Profile Joined August 2010
United States18 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-09 05:46:38
October 07 2010 21:22 GMT
#1
Hello!

Today I got Razer's latest, and first mechanical keyboard. Razer's packaging is usually something to note, and sure enough the Blackwidow's packaging was impeccable. It came nicely packaged inside a 3 layer cardboard sleeve With a plastic covering the keys. Its good to know it has more than sufficient protection for shipping. Onto the actual keyboard-- If your unfamiliar with mechanical keyboards I put some information at the bottom of this post.

Notice the 9 key...lol
[image loading]


Visuals: The Blackwidow is very sexy, and pretty compact for having the extra macro keys on the left side.Surprisingly finger prints and palm marks seem to disappear a few seconds after removing your hand from the glossy frame, however the thing attracts a lot of dust. So be sure to keep a swifter dust magnet cloth around, for me, its something i already use on my Samsung PX2370's outer frame and base.

Edit: It's harder to keep clean that I originally thought. Although to keep it spotless all you'll need is a bottle of cleaner, its still something to note if your on the lazy side.

Build: The quality seems very high, although I've never owned a Filco, (which seems to be the staple for high end keyboards) it's much heavier than my previous keyboard (Logitech G110), and you can tell its much more durable. It feels like quality when you pick it up.

It's about 4 inches shorter in length than my 23in PX2370
[image loading]

Performance: The keys are very light, and loud. Stay away from this one if your annoyed by the clicking sounds resulting from the Cherry MX blue mechanical key switches. It's a dream to type on, and the keys are easy and fast to spam. There's also a nice texture on the keys which completely keeps your fingers from slipping off. The function key works beautifully and keeps the keyboard visually clean. The keys are also ergonomically sloped and not flat, there's some pictures below.

On the back of the keyboard there are some legs to increase the angle (note there's no drain holes for liquids in the case that something is spilled into the frame). However with the legs out the keyboard sits at an extreme angle. I found it already has a comfortable natural slope built into the frame. Also there is no additional wrist support with this keyboard. The design of the frame offers some wrist support but if you have large hands its almost nothing, fortunately enough, the Blackwidow is still one of the most comfortable keyboards I've used.

Overview
This is definitely the best keyboard Ive ever had, and so far the performance is extremely high. The quality of the build, the look, and the feel of the keys all leave good impressions. My only gripes with the thing is that it came with a F9 key on the 9 lol? And the F9 key sits just a tiny bit higher than the other F keys. On a rating of 1-10 the Blackwidow gets a solid F9 from me lol

Edit: It takes some getting used to the Blackwidow since the keys are extremely easy to press you can easily catch a corner of another key. This at first was a concern for me, however after a day with the keyboard I'm beginning to get used to typing on it, and damn its nice. Just like everyone else I'm going to have to say it; ill never use a "normal" keyboard ever again!


Cost: $79.99
Rating: 9/10
Recommend for SC2: Yes
Recommend in general: Yes
Link to Buy: http://store.razerzone.com

Information on Mechanical Keyboards
+ Show Spoiler +
A mechanical keyboard is a specific type of keyboard know for its responsive feel and comfort. Unlike your normal keyboard, a mechanical keyboard uses individual key switches to register each key stroke. These key switches can vary in a couple different ways: the amount of force required to actuate the key, the loudness, and the physical feel while pressing the key (tactile or linear).

Here's a very informative video about the different brands and types of mechanical switches:
Key Switches

Heres what the Razer Blackwidow sounds like (although its a different keyboard it uses the same switches):
Cherry MX Blue Key Switches

Pictures:
+ Show Spoiler +
Comparison between G110 and Blackwidow[image loading]

Heres the ergonomic slope on the keys[image loading]

You can kinda see the texture of the keys here
[image loading]
[image loading]
semantics
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
10040 Posts
October 07 2010 21:27 GMT
#2
Pretty now shitty looking with grime all over it's gloss 2 months later.
Itazy
Profile Joined August 2010
United States18 Posts
October 07 2010 21:28 GMT
#3
On October 08 2010 06:27 semantics wrote:
Pretty now shitty looking with grime all over it's gloss 2 months later.


Not if you take 30 seconds a day to clean it off.
semantics
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
10040 Posts
October 07 2010 21:31 GMT
#4
:D yeah but most people don't take the time to wipe it off daily which will prevent the build up that becomes a pain to remove.
Itazy
Profile Joined August 2010
United States18 Posts
October 07 2010 21:36 GMT
#5
On October 08 2010 06:31 semantics wrote:
:D yeah but most people don't take the time to wipe it off daily which will prevent the build up that becomes a pain to remove.


Yeah hah, for me I cant stand having a dirty desk so i always wipe everything down before i shut my computer off.
Skuller
Profile Joined September 2010
United States197 Posts
October 07 2010 21:37 GMT
#6
Just out of curiousity, where'd you order it from? The site says that it goes on sale on the 13th.
Itazy
Profile Joined August 2010
United States18 Posts
October 07 2010 21:41 GMT
#7
On October 08 2010 06:37 Skuller wrote:
Just out of curiousity, where'd you order it from? The site says that it goes on sale on the 13th.


Off their official site, the non-ultimate one came on sale last friday and sold out within 24 hours i was one of the lucky people to get my order in. I guess they wanted to sell the normal ones out so more ultimate versions sell.
jimminy_kriket
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
Canada5542 Posts
October 07 2010 22:03 GMT
#8
Are these available in stores yet?
life of lively to live to life of full life thx to shield battery
lethal111
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada460 Posts
October 07 2010 22:26 GMT
#9
I have the steelseries 6g, and I like it, I would buy it, but I don't really like razer keyboards
Combine
Profile Joined July 2010
United States812 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-07 22:41:12
October 07 2010 22:36 GMT
#10
I got mine yesterday. Was surprised when it said it was shipping. Agreeing on all points on your review, I can't ever go type on a normal keyboard again. These just feel so crisp and easy to type on/game on, compared to the squishyness of dome keyboards. You can feel the tactile bump really well, and I personally love the clickyness of the blue switches.

Also, getting a f key instead of a 9 key is odd. I have the actual 9 key, no weird F key in the place of it. Guess just a mix up in the building of it.
(ಥ_ಥ)
Itazy
Profile Joined August 2010
United States18 Posts
October 07 2010 22:54 GMT
#11
On October 08 2010 07:03 jimminy_kriket wrote:
Are these available in stores yet?


Not sure, but you can try giving your local retailer a call :O


On October 08 2010 07:36 Combine wrote:
I got mine yesterday. Was surprised when it said it was shipping. Agreeing on all points on your review, I can't ever go type on a normal keyboard again. These just feel so crisp and easy to type on/game on, compared to the squishyness of dome keyboards. You can feel the tactile bump really well, and I personally love the clickyness of the blue switches.

Also, getting a f key instead of a 9 key is odd. I have the actual 9 key, no weird F key in the place of it. Guess just a mix up in the building of it.


Yeah yo i guess you had yours preordered? This one happened to ship from Canada (kinda odd i guess they really ran outa supply fast) so took a while to get to me, i like that word crisp haha, it definitely feels crisp, and is so much easier to press than dome keys. I enjoy the clickyness also, but spamming can get loud lol

And definitely a mix up with the 9 key, its pretty funny i didn't even notice it until i started taking pictures
Combine
Profile Joined July 2010
United States812 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-07 22:58:45
October 07 2010 22:55 GMT
#12
On October 08 2010 07:54 Itazy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 08 2010 07:03 jimminy_kriket wrote:
Are these available in stores yet?


Not sure, but you can try giving your local retailer a call :O


Show nested quote +
On October 08 2010 07:36 Combine wrote:
I got mine yesterday. Was surprised when it said it was shipping. Agreeing on all points on your review, I can't ever go type on a normal keyboard again. These just feel so crisp and easy to type on/game on, compared to the squishyness of dome keyboards. You can feel the tactile bump really well, and I personally love the clickyness of the blue switches.

Also, getting a f key instead of a 9 key is odd. I have the actual 9 key, no weird F key in the place of it. Guess just a mix up in the building of it.


Yeah yo i guess you had yours preordered? This one happened to ship from Canada (kinda odd i guess they really ran outa supply fast) so took a while to get to me, i like that word crisp haha, it definitely feels crisp, and is so much easier to press than dome keys. I enjoy the clickyness also, but spamming can get loud lol

And definitely a mix up with the 9 key, its pretty funny i didn't even notice it until i started taking pictures

Yeah, I pre-ordered like a day before they sold out. I was like ah, what the hell the price is good and I've been wanting a mechanical keyboard. Buy it, go to bed. Wake up and see them sold out. I wasn't expecting it to get shipped yet, was waiting for the 13th, but a pleasant surprise to get it this fast. Mine also got shipped from Canada.

I was kind of worried about the printing on the keys, but they are such great quality, and I love the texture on the keys. Glad I didn't drop 50$ more just for some back lit keys and extra ports.
(ಥ_ಥ)
GreEny K
Profile Joined February 2008
Germany7312 Posts
October 07 2010 23:05 GMT
#13
Looks really nice! Congrats.
Why would you ever choose failure, when success is an option.
PackofHighly
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States153 Posts
October 07 2010 23:07 GMT
#14
I just got mine today. Was on the razer store oct. 1st noticed they were in stock and shipping (while the ultimate was still marked pre-order) so I ordered it and it arrived today.

Mine arrived the F7 key was pulled off, but just sitting loosely in its position. I put it back on, but it doesn't seem to fully re-attach because it pulls off easy with no tension, while the rest of the keys have tension to them when attached.

I called razer support and they were shocked I had a BW and said it hadn't even officially launched yet.

They want to RMA the whole keyboard over the F7 key which is pretty amazing I gotta say. I hate to send this board back but I think a replacement will be better in the long run.

As my first mechanical keyboard (not counting the one my father had that I can't remember using as a 1 year old lol) I am hooked for life. I'll never use a membrane keyboard again. The tactile response is a spectacular aid.

Definitely not worth the extra cost just for the back lighting, but the standard edition represents a great value among mechanical keyboards alone while adding gaming features.
THIS was your PLAN?
Itazy
Profile Joined August 2010
United States18 Posts
October 07 2010 23:09 GMT
#15
On October 08 2010 07:55 Combine wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 08 2010 07:54 Itazy wrote:
On October 08 2010 07:03 jimminy_kriket wrote:
Are these available in stores yet?


Not sure, but you can try giving your local retailer a call :O


On October 08 2010 07:36 Combine wrote:
I got mine yesterday. Was surprised when it said it was shipping. Agreeing on all points on your review, I can't ever go type on a normal keyboard again. These just feel so crisp and easy to type on/game on, compared to the squishyness of dome keyboards. You can feel the tactile bump really well, and I personally love the clickyness of the blue switches.

Also, getting a f key instead of a 9 key is odd. I have the actual 9 key, no weird F key in the place of it. Guess just a mix up in the building of it.


Yeah yo i guess you had yours preordered? This one happened to ship from Canada (kinda odd i guess they really ran outa supply fast) so took a while to get to me, i like that word crisp haha, it definitely feels crisp, and is so much easier to press than dome keys. I enjoy the clickyness also, but spamming can get loud lol

And definitely a mix up with the 9 key, its pretty funny i didn't even notice it until i started taking pictures

Yeah, I pre-ordered like a day before they sold out. I was like ah, what the hell the price is good and I've been wanting a mechanical keyboard. Buy it, go to bed. Wake up and see them sold out. I wasn't expecting it to get shipped yet, was waiting for the 13th, but a pleasant surprise to get it this fast. Mine also got shipped from Canada.

I was kind of worried about the printing on the keys, but they are such great quality, and I love the texture on the keys. Glad I didn't drop 50$ more just for some back lit keys and extra ports.


haha nice timing, i also ordered for the same reasons, i just happened to be awake late that night and saw they were on sale, so i got my order in. Guess they were stocking in Canada :O The texture on the keys is awesome ! I honestly cant even slip my finger off if i try. And i agree the $50 extra wasn't worth it. Not for back lighting, and a usb port or two.
Combine
Profile Joined July 2010
United States812 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-07 23:14:33
October 07 2010 23:14 GMT
#16
But yeah, compared to the other mechanical keyboards that are around ~$110 (no backlighting either)the 80$ price tag was a no brainer. Guess razer are able to mass produce them easier, and able to make the price go down.

Just looked at the site, apparently the 80$ version is on back order now, and they're not shipping more till 10/29. Ouch.
(ಥ_ಥ)
Itazy
Profile Joined August 2010
United States18 Posts
October 07 2010 23:26 GMT
#17
On October 08 2010 08:07 PackofHighly wrote:
I just got mine today. Was on the razer store oct. 1st noticed they were in stock and shipping (while the ultimate was still marked pre-order) so I ordered it and it arrived today.

Mine arrived the F7 key was pulled off, but just sitting loosely in its position. I put it back on, but it doesn't seem to fully re-attach because it pulls off easy with no tension, while the rest of the keys have tension to them when attached.

I called razer support and they were shocked I had a BW and said it hadn't even officially launched yet.

They want to RMA the whole keyboard over the F7 key which is pretty amazing I gotta say. I hate to send this board back but I think a replacement will be better in the long run.

As my first mechanical keyboard (not counting the one my father had that I can't remember using as a 1 year old lol) I am hooked for life. I'll never use a membrane keyboard again. The tactile response is a spectacular aid.

Definitely not worth the extra cost just for the back lighting, but the standard edition represents a great value among mechanical keyboards alone while adding gaming features.


Interesting! Thanks for the info, I can also remove my F9 key which was slightly out of place. It still takes a pretty decent amount of force to take the key off but it definitely has a slight problem. I also can't identify if its the keycap or the switch, but i guess its the keycap because the button works fine when pressed. Personally It's not something ill send the keyboard back for, but if it were a key i pressed more often, then i would reconsider.

"Definitely not worth the extra cost just for the back lighting, but the standard edition represents a great value among mechanical keyboards alone while adding gaming features."


Definitely!
Itazy
Profile Joined August 2010
United States18 Posts
October 07 2010 23:33 GMT
#18
On October 08 2010 08:14 Combine wrote:
But yeah, compared to the other mechanical keyboards that are around ~$110 (no backlighting either)the 80$ price tag was a no brainer. Guess razer are able to mass produce them easier, and able to make the price go down.

Just looked at the site, apparently the 80$ version is on back order now, and they're not shipping more till 10/29. Ouch.


The price is amazing I'm not quite sure how they managed it, maybe the prices were jacked up and razer's just starting the price cutting by bringing mechanical keyboards to the mass audience.

10/29 whew, I'm glad i stayed up playing SC2 last week hehe
viraltouch
Profile Joined July 2010
United States299 Posts
October 07 2010 23:33 GMT
#19
would be nice if anyone who has used filco/daskey review this board i comparison...
been thinking about getting filco keyboard for awhile now...
crms
Profile Joined February 2010
United States11933 Posts
October 07 2010 23:49 GMT
#20
I think I'll be picking one of these up soon. Thanks for the review, looks like the exact style keyboard I prefer for a decent price. thx op!
http://i.imgur.com/fAUOr2c.png | Fighting games are great
1 2 3 4 5 20 21 22 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
07:00
Masters Cup #151: Group B
davetesta17
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ViBE75
Nina 73
StarCraft: Brood War
White-Ra 178
Dewaltoss 73
Hyuk 61
Noble 35
NaDa 18
Bale 14
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm120
League of Legends
Doublelift4339
Counter-Strike
Fnx 712
minikerr1
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King58
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5212
Khaldor723
Other Games
summit1g7171
FrodaN2014
shahzam487
JimRising 336
KnowMe271
C9.Mang0224
ArmadaUGS92
ZombieGrub91
Trikslyr45
PPMD32
CosmosSc2 22
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream73
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH340
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota2924
Other Games
• imaqtpie778
• Shiphtur183
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
11h 8m
Online Event
12h 8m
FEL
17h 8m
AI Arena Tournament
18h 8m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
20h 8m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 11h
INu's Battles
1d 13h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 20h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 20h
Replay Cast
2 days
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-01
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Proleague 2026-10-02
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.