• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:19
CEST 14:19
KST 21:19
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)41Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Fantasy returning? ASL22 General Discussion Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9037 users

Interview with RuFF at Dreamhack Atlanta 2022

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
StarcraftHistorian
Profile Joined November 2022
United States235 Posts
Last Edited: 2023-02-03 22:05:30
February 03 2023 15:06 GMT
#1
[image loading]

StarcraftHistorian: So Ruff, I feel like you’re one of those names that I’ve seen from the very beginning of the scene, and clearly you’re one of the guys who stuck around. How’d you get into Starcraft in the first place?

RuFF: Long time ago with my father, growing up in Brood War. So, I remember in 1998 I was 13 years old, and ended up getting it for Christmas. From that point I continued playing Brood War throughout all the years, up until Starcraft II.

StarcraftHistorian: Did your dad play a lot of Brood War as well?

RuFF: Oh yeah, he played a lot. He played “fastest map” all the time. Back then when people would try to backstab, he would call me over and tell me “I just need your help for a second, fill in for me”. So I would jump in and take over, try to fight a maxed out army, it was fun stuff.

StarcraftHistorian: Was dad any good at the game?

RuFF: Oh yeah he was pretty good!

StarcraftHistorian: Has he ever tried his hand at Starcraft II?

RuFF: No, but he does watch

StarcraftHistorian: Going back to your early days, as more of a high level competitor, any particular players you took a map off of, or a series that you were really proud of?

RuFF: A long time ago, we had a lot of content creators coming into the American scene, so taking maps off of them, or beating them at major tournaments was cool. I think at a Dreamhack Austin a long time ago, I took a map off Kelazhur on the main stage, and I thought I was going to win that series, but it was super close and fun. Some very unorthodox styles. At Red Bull Atlanta I did my planetary fortress rush with reapers. Going to these main events, and pulling off those kinds of strategies, was a good feeling, I really enjoyed it.

StarcraftHistorian: Yeah, it’s like making some ladder nonsense work at a big event, pretty funny.

RuFF: And, I’m not doing it to troll, it does work, so that’s why.

StarcraftHistorian: I feel like in a lot of games like that, people tend to rage. “You’re not really playing the game”, but I’ve always felt that if you beat somebody with something like that, well then they weren’t prepared for that option. It’s just another option in the game, so it’s all fair.

RuFF: It really all just depends on if they can stop it, so.

StarcraftHistorian: So what are you doing now, are you still on PSISTORM?

RuFF: I’m still on PSISTORM, I kind of just work on the side a little bit though. I’m not like a sponsored player anymore, I kind of just help out. I do hang around with the PSISTORM guys, I do help them with stuff, I’m still a part of the PSISTORM family.

StarcraftHistorian:You still stream a lot?

RuFF: Yes, I stream all the time. Usually 9PM-12AM, almost everyday. Sometimes I go over time, sometimes I don’t, sometimes I need a break, but I generally give that amount of time to Starcraft everyday.

StarcraftHistorian: I feel like there’s a lot of pessimism in the community, everybody seems to be saying that the world is on fire since 2013. How do you feel about the overall health of the SC2 scene right now?

RuFF: Considering we are here at Dreamhack, and the entire venue is filled up with seats, people are standing to watch Starcraft, it’s actually really cool. Just to see this happening, it’s really hopeful that things may go pretty well. I do think that things have died down, especially in the past 4-5 years. But coming in here, watching it, seeing how many people have come out just to support Starcraft, I think that we can probably see a lot more of this to come.

StarcraftHistorian: How do you feel about Microsoft’s acquisition of Activision/Blizzard? Do you think it bodes well for Starcraft?

RuFF: The thing is I try to look at only actions, I’ll have to see when something actually happens with it. As of right now, Dreamhack had its contact with Blizzard that ends this year. Hard to say what to expect from that, hopefully good things, but we haven’t seen anything yet, I can’t really comment.

StarcraftHistorian: Any thoughts on Frost Giant, or their game Stormgate?

RuFF: I know that there has been some criticism of what’s been released by them so far, but I try to focus on whether there is going to be the work behind it to improve it, so far it seems like there is. I really like what they have released so far, I really like the idea of mechs vs demons, that’s really cool. It’s like taking some of my favorite genres and molding them together. I like playing Mech Warrior, I like playing Doom, so to see it molded into an RTS, I think it’s very cool. I’m hoping for good things from them, as long as Frost Giant stays on their focus, stays on trying to get their game out. Making sure, I don’t care how long it takes, just making sure they get it right.

StarcraftHistorian: I think they have some great people working on the game, and they have some real funding behind them. They’ve said this is going to be a real deal, AAA release. How do you think the market is going to receive a game like that?

RuFF: I think that there’s a lot of hype behind it. It will probably come down to marketing, and whether or not the freaking game is good. If they can nail it, I can see a really good future for Frost Giant.

StarcraftHistorian: If it is really successful, how do you feel about its potential to kill the Starcraft scene?

RuFF: That’s a tough one, it comes down to whether Starcraft is going to continue to be maintained or not. If new things are coming out, if they are at least doing the bare minimum, releasing maps, maybe having big events like this happening, even if it’s just once a year, I think that Starcraft can continue to do pretty well. It’s been with us since the beginning of time, since Brood War, and Brood War was what? The first esport, ever. So I can’t really see it dying, but I can see people maybe playing both games. Stormgate will really have to like, knock people’s teeth out, to break Starcraft.

StarcraftHistorian: I guess the other big question is, if Blizzard feels the heat from RTS competition, will this prompt a Starcraft III in the works?

RuFF: Well, it’s really going to come down to Blizzard and Microsoft. I’m not entirely sure.

StarcraftHistorian: Are there any players you’re rooting for here at Dreamhack?

RuFF: I’d probably say Heromarine, because he puts in a lot of hard work. He doesn’t even really try to stretch his units with crazy micro all the time. Seeing him do well here and at the Homestory cup is cool, I also just like that he’s a Terran player.

StarcraftHistorian: Anything in the Meta that you really like, or really don’t like these days?

RuFF: Oh, Protoss. Just because my play style has changed so much. Because I’m one of the OGs of Starcraft, if something has changed and isn’t how I liked it before, I’m going to complain about it. When I look at new players coming in, I think they have a better time with it, they don’t think about how stuff used to be. You can have like 0 supply and hold a push by turning on a battery and having a cannon. They have all the AOE in the game, Disruptors, High Templar, Colossus, especially Disruptors which blow everything up in one shot. Then you talk about the Golden Armada, Tempests, furthest shooting ranged unit in the game. Disruptors, the furthest shooting unit in the game vertically, actually outranges a tank. I think Protosses have it really good compared to the past. If you watch my stream you’ll hear me cry about Protoss.

StarcraftHistorian: I think you and Artosis might get along.

RuFF: Oh yeah, we would.

StarcraftHistorian: Well, it’s awesome that you came out to this event, thanks for taking the time to talk to me. Any closing words?

RuFF: Follow me at https://www.twitch.tv/ruff_stuff_tv Check out my Twitter at https://twitter.com/RuFF_SC2

- Thanks so much for checking out my interview! If you enjoy content like this, check out my Youtube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNcVp5bJ4ZcaKvhu-ZXk8hA -

Totally not 2 months late posting this =D
angel1151
Profile Joined February 2023
1 Post
February 07 2023 03:17 GMT
#2
thanks
Gescom
Profile Joined February 2010
Canada3516 Posts
February 07 2023 04:46 GMT
#3
Thanks for sharing. A nice read! :}
Jaedong Hyuk || Bisu Jangbi || Fantasy Flash
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 41m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech150
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 37069
Shuttle 2566
Bisu 1011
Horang2 948
Jaedong 936
Light 412
BeSt 365
firebathero 333
Mini 287
actioN 280
[ Show more ]
Stork 273
Hyuk 264
Soma 229
EffOrt 207
Zeus 191
ggaemo 175
Soulkey 160
Last 142
Leta 121
ZerO 119
Snow 110
Rush 78
Pusan 76
Killer 66
Sea.KH 49
Mong 43
hero 40
Mind 38
Sharp 35
Aegong 31
Shinee 30
Shine 29
Bale 24
ToSsGirL 22
Sexy 21
soO 20
PianO 18
Trap 18
Terrorterran 17
zelot 13
Free 13
sorry 12
HiyA 10
JulyZerg 9
Noble 9
ajuk12(nOOB) 4
Icarus 4
Dota 2
Gorgc3656
qojqva1453
Dendi918
League of Legends
Reynor91
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1379
x6flipin274
markeloff103
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1929
crisheroes872
Other Games
gofns29283
singsing2108
B2W.Neo722
XBOCT355
DeMusliM208
Livibee174
XaKoH 160
Liquid`LucifroN126
Mlord101
ArmadaUGS97
Mew2King91
QueenE88
Chillindude10
Railgan9
ZerO(Twitch)7
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream232
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 6
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 62
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix4
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos2237
• TFBlade550
Other Games
• WagamamaTV179
Upcoming Events
OSC
41m
Stellar Fest
41m
Serral vs herO
Solar vs Shino
Maru vs Clem
SHIN vs GgMaChine
OSC
11h 41m
Stellar Fest
1d
CranKy Ducklings
1d 21h
Online Event
1d 22h
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
[ Show More ]
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.