• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:16
CEST 11:16
KST 18:16
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)64Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2314
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion BW General Discussion JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10204 users

SC2 Power Rank: April 2019 - Page 4

Forum Index > SC2 General
88 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Kitai
Profile Joined June 2012
United States886 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-04-03 20:37:21
April 03 2019 20:36 GMT
#61
On April 04 2019 00:46 Elentos wrote:
But I don't think anyone deserves to occupy the #1 spot. Looking at the top 5 I already felt that all of them were too high, even though nobody outperformed them.


They should have made a power rank where nobody was ranked first for extra controversy =P. If there were ever a time to do it, it would be now.

I hope Trap wins this GSL just to throw everything farther into uncertainty.
"You know, I don't care if soO got 100 second places in a row. Anyone who doesn't think that he's going to win blizzcon watching this series is a fool" - Artosis, Blizzcon 2014 soO vs TaeJa
IshinShishi
Profile Joined April 2012
Japan6156 Posts
April 03 2019 22:40 GMT
#62
Dark in top 1 is too weird
So... what that make you? Good? You're not good. You just know how to hide, how to lie
Xain0n
Profile Joined November 2018
Italy3963 Posts
April 03 2019 22:49 GMT
#63
On April 04 2019 07:40 IshinShishi wrote:
Dark in top 1 is too weird


You mean it's out of place to rank him first now? Or that the very idea of Dark being #1 seems weird? He definitely was the best player in the world in 2016.
Kazi25
Profile Joined July 2016
Philippines236 Posts
April 03 2019 23:06 GMT
#64
Is the monthly power rank slowly turning into a curse?
neutralrobot
Profile Joined July 2011
Australia1025 Posts
April 04 2019 01:13 GMT
#65
On seeing Dark #1, my first thought was: "Guys, if you want to do the April fool's thing, it has to actually happen on the first of the month."

But really, I can't think of anyone who really belongs there, so why not? This is as good a ranking as any, though the timing is pretty hilarious.
Maru | Life | PartinG || I guess I like aggressive control freaks... || Reynor will one day reign supreme || *reyn supreme
Anc13nt
Profile Blog Joined October 2017
1557 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-04-04 04:59:48
April 04 2019 04:55 GMT
#66
On April 04 2019 05:00 Xain0n wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 04 2019 04:12 Charoisaur wrote:
In a head-to-head I'd favor Maru everytime due to Serral's weak ZvT but I think Serral has overall been the better player this year so looking at head-to-head between 2 players only isn't a very good way to go about it.


Maru's TvZ is on average better than Serral's ZvT; however, I'd bet on BlizzCon Serral over Code S S2 Maru every time.
Serral played very few games against Terran during his period of dominance(excluding HSC which was played on another patch), but he looked deadly at GSL vs the World; also, Maru's TvZ was shaky in 2019, Serral might have won if they faced at WESG.


Tbh, INnoVation's TvZ is pretty bad compared to Maru's. His winrate against Koreans offline from 2018 to now is barely 50% and it doesn't seem to have gotten much better (it's 38% so far this year, and if you count his games against Serral, it would still only be 48%). I think people believe his TvZ is stronger than it really is because he took a lot of sets off Rogue but I honestly think that Rogue (Solar maybe) is probably the most inconsistent top player in terms of the quality of his play. That said, INnoVation's TvT has been looking really strong. He outclassed Maru pretty badly at WESG.

Edit: I will admit, INnoVation's series against Serral showed that he can play TvZ very well but I honestly think Maru's TvZ is much stronger. INnoVation basically never beats Dark nowadays and Maru is probably the only terran who is favoured against Dark (no other terran is even close to being even with Dark). Maru's TvZ winrate in from 2018 to now is 70% (and 75% this year over 12 games), which is way higher than INnoVation's,
pvsnp
Profile Joined January 2017
7676 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-04-04 05:15:35
April 04 2019 05:07 GMT
#67
On April 04 2019 13:55 Anc13nt wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 04 2019 05:00 Xain0n wrote:
On April 04 2019 04:12 Charoisaur wrote:
In a head-to-head I'd favor Maru everytime due to Serral's weak ZvT but I think Serral has overall been the better player this year so looking at head-to-head between 2 players only isn't a very good way to go about it.


Maru's TvZ is on average better than Serral's ZvT; however, I'd bet on BlizzCon Serral over Code S S2 Maru every time.
Serral played very few games against Terran during his period of dominance(excluding HSC which was played on another patch), but he looked deadly at GSL vs the World; also, Maru's TvZ was shaky in 2019, Serral might have won if they faced at WESG.


Tbh, INnoVation's TvZ is pretty bad compared to Maru's. His winrate against Koreans offline from 2018 to now is barely 50% and it doesn't seem to have gotten much better (it's 38% so far this year, and if you count his games against Serral, it would still only be 48%). I think people believe his TvZ is stronger than it really is because he took a lot of sets off Rogue but I honestly think that Rogue (Solar maybe) is probably the most inconsistent top player in terms of the quality of his play. That said, INnoVation's TvT has been looking really strong. He outclassed Maru pretty badly at WESG.

Edit: I will admit, INnoVation's series against Serral showed that he can play TvZ very well but I honestly think Maru's TvZ is much stronger. INnoVation basically never beats Dark nowadays and Maru is probably the only terran who is favoured against Dark (no other terran is even close to being even with Dark). Maru's TvZ winrate in from 2018 to now is 70% (and 75% this year over 12 games), which is way higher than INnoVation's,


What evidence do we have that Maru's TvZ is godlike? Which top Zergs has he beaten recently?

The only notable TvZ I can remember Maru playing this year is against Dark at IEM–but Inno also played a very impressive TvZ at IEM, and then did it again at WESG. Not to mention Maru's appalling series against Scarlett, plus getting upset by MeomaikA, both of which seriously undermine his TvZ credentials in my eyes.

Maru at his peak plays a very scary TvZ, but I'm not seeing much evidence that he's anywhere near his peak right now.
Denominator of the Universe
TL+ Member
Anc13nt
Profile Blog Joined October 2017
1557 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-04-04 06:20:05
April 04 2019 05:19 GMT
#68
On April 04 2019 14:07 pvsnp wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 04 2019 13:55 Anc13nt wrote:
On April 04 2019 05:00 Xain0n wrote:
On April 04 2019 04:12 Charoisaur wrote:
In a head-to-head I'd favor Maru everytime due to Serral's weak ZvT but I think Serral has overall been the better player this year so looking at head-to-head between 2 players only isn't a very good way to go about it.


Maru's TvZ is on average better than Serral's ZvT; however, I'd bet on BlizzCon Serral over Code S S2 Maru every time.
Serral played very few games against Terran during his period of dominance(excluding HSC which was played on another patch), but he looked deadly at GSL vs the World; also, Maru's TvZ was shaky in 2019, Serral might have won if they faced at WESG.


Tbh, INnoVation's TvZ is pretty bad compared to Maru's. His winrate against Koreans offline from 2018 to now is barely 50% and it doesn't seem to have gotten much better (it's 38% so far this year, and if you count his games against Serral, it would still only be 48%). I think people believe his TvZ is stronger than it really is because he took a lot of sets off Rogue but I honestly think that Rogue (Solar maybe) is probably the most inconsistent top player in terms of the quality of his play. That said, INnoVation's TvT has been looking really strong. He outclassed Maru pretty badly at WESG.

Edit: I will admit, INnoVation's series against Serral showed that he can play TvZ very well but I honestly think Maru's TvZ is much stronger. INnoVation basically never beats Dark nowadays and Maru is probably the only terran who is favoured against Dark (no other terran is even close to being even with Dark). Maru's TvZ winrate in from 2018 to now is 70% (and 75% this year over 12 games), which is way higher than INnoVation's,


What evidence do we have that Maru's TvZ is godlike? Which top Zergs has he beaten recently?

The only notable TvZ I can remember Maru playing this year is against Dark at IEM–but Inno also played a very impressive TvZ at IEM, and then did it again at WESG. Not to mention Maru's appalling series against Scarlett, plus getting upset by MeomaikA, both of which seriously undermine his TvZ credentials in my eyes.

Maru at his peak plays a very scary TvZ, but I'm not seeing much evidence that he's anywhere near his peak right now.


Honestly, he hasn't shown very much TvZ but of 12 games he played, he went 9-3, which suggests he's still in good TvZ form.

Edit: I'm only looking at games against Korean zerg because if you include winrate against non-koreans, they become a lot higher. I admit his series versus Scarlett didn't show that his TvZ was amazing but if you think about it, it was basically a 3-1 and Scarlett is no slouch ofc.
deacon.frost
Profile Joined February 2013
Czech Republic12134 Posts
April 04 2019 08:21 GMT
#69
On April 04 2019 14:07 pvsnp wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 04 2019 13:55 Anc13nt wrote:
On April 04 2019 05:00 Xain0n wrote:
On April 04 2019 04:12 Charoisaur wrote:
In a head-to-head I'd favor Maru everytime due to Serral's weak ZvT but I think Serral has overall been the better player this year so looking at head-to-head between 2 players only isn't a very good way to go about it.


Maru's TvZ is on average better than Serral's ZvT; however, I'd bet on BlizzCon Serral over Code S S2 Maru every time.
Serral played very few games against Terran during his period of dominance(excluding HSC which was played on another patch), but he looked deadly at GSL vs the World; also, Maru's TvZ was shaky in 2019, Serral might have won if they faced at WESG.


Tbh, INnoVation's TvZ is pretty bad compared to Maru's. His winrate against Koreans offline from 2018 to now is barely 50% and it doesn't seem to have gotten much better (it's 38% so far this year, and if you count his games against Serral, it would still only be 48%). I think people believe his TvZ is stronger than it really is because he took a lot of sets off Rogue but I honestly think that Rogue (Solar maybe) is probably the most inconsistent top player in terms of the quality of his play. That said, INnoVation's TvT has been looking really strong. He outclassed Maru pretty badly at WESG.

Edit: I will admit, INnoVation's series against Serral showed that he can play TvZ very well but I honestly think Maru's TvZ is much stronger. INnoVation basically never beats Dark nowadays and Maru is probably the only terran who is favoured against Dark (no other terran is even close to being even with Dark). Maru's TvZ winrate in from 2018 to now is 70% (and 75% this year over 12 games), which is way higher than INnoVation's,


What evidence do we have that Maru's TvZ is godlike? Which top Zergs has he beaten recently?

The only notable TvZ I can remember Maru playing this year is against Dark at IEM–but Inno also played a very impressive TvZ at IEM, and then did it again at WESG. Not to mention Maru's appalling series against Scarlett, plus getting upset by MeomaikA, both of which seriously undermine his TvZ credentials in my eyes.

Maru at his peak plays a very scary TvZ, but I'm not seeing much evidence that he's anywhere near his peak right now.

MeomaikA games:
Game#1 - Maru went for a drop while MeomaikA went for the baneling bust. The armies missed each other, MeomaikA flooded Maru's natural while having enough lings to not allow a safe drop. If he knew who MeomaikA is he wouldn't do the drop so carelessly
Game#2 - BO loss with Maru ignoring/forgetting full wall of main.

I don't think these games are any special prove that his TvZ is not in a good form, apart from Bly I don't know about anyone this aggressive, maybe RO16 Scarlett

Not to mention that Scarlett can go toe to toe with the best Terrans, this just undermines her achievements more than Maru's TvZ
I imagine France should be able to take this unless Lilbow is busy practicing for Starcraft III. | KadaverBB is my fairy ban mother.
Poopi
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
France13021 Posts
April 04 2019 08:38 GMT
#70
On April 04 2019 17:21 deacon.frost wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 04 2019 14:07 pvsnp wrote:
On April 04 2019 13:55 Anc13nt wrote:
On April 04 2019 05:00 Xain0n wrote:
On April 04 2019 04:12 Charoisaur wrote:
In a head-to-head I'd favor Maru everytime due to Serral's weak ZvT but I think Serral has overall been the better player this year so looking at head-to-head between 2 players only isn't a very good way to go about it.


Maru's TvZ is on average better than Serral's ZvT; however, I'd bet on BlizzCon Serral over Code S S2 Maru every time.
Serral played very few games against Terran during his period of dominance(excluding HSC which was played on another patch), but he looked deadly at GSL vs the World; also, Maru's TvZ was shaky in 2019, Serral might have won if they faced at WESG.


Tbh, INnoVation's TvZ is pretty bad compared to Maru's. His winrate against Koreans offline from 2018 to now is barely 50% and it doesn't seem to have gotten much better (it's 38% so far this year, and if you count his games against Serral, it would still only be 48%). I think people believe his TvZ is stronger than it really is because he took a lot of sets off Rogue but I honestly think that Rogue (Solar maybe) is probably the most inconsistent top player in terms of the quality of his play. That said, INnoVation's TvT has been looking really strong. He outclassed Maru pretty badly at WESG.

Edit: I will admit, INnoVation's series against Serral showed that he can play TvZ very well but I honestly think Maru's TvZ is much stronger. INnoVation basically never beats Dark nowadays and Maru is probably the only terran who is favoured against Dark (no other terran is even close to being even with Dark). Maru's TvZ winrate in from 2018 to now is 70% (and 75% this year over 12 games), which is way higher than INnoVation's,


What evidence do we have that Maru's TvZ is godlike? Which top Zergs has he beaten recently?

The only notable TvZ I can remember Maru playing this year is against Dark at IEM–but Inno also played a very impressive TvZ at IEM, and then did it again at WESG. Not to mention Maru's appalling series against Scarlett, plus getting upset by MeomaikA, both of which seriously undermine his TvZ credentials in my eyes.

Maru at his peak plays a very scary TvZ, but I'm not seeing much evidence that he's anywhere near his peak right now.

MeomaikA games:
Game#1 - Maru went for a drop while MeomaikA went for the baneling bust. The armies missed each other, MeomaikA flooded Maru's natural while having enough lings to not allow a safe drop. If he knew who MeomaikA is he wouldn't do the drop so carelessly
Game#2 - BO loss with Maru ignoring/forgetting full wall of main.

I don't think these games are any special prove that his TvZ is not in a good form, apart from Bly I don't know about anyone this aggressive, maybe RO16 Scarlett

Not to mention that Scarlett can go toe to toe with the best Terrans, this just undermines her achievements more than Maru's TvZ

Maru definitely knows who Meomaika is since they played each other a lot on the ladder.
WriterMaru
tyc0112
Profile Joined July 2018
1 Post
April 04 2019 09:49 GMT
#71
Dear Writers and Editor"
I'm interested in this article, may I make a translated version of this article (will be translated to Chinese) , to let more starcraft II lovers in our country see this. Please let me know if you allow me to do this. Thank you very much!!
Greenei
Profile Joined November 2011
Germany1754 Posts
April 04 2019 13:30 GMT
#72
Seems to me you are way harder on Serral than you are on Dark.
IMBA IMBA IMBA IMBA IMBA IMBA
deacon.frost
Profile Joined February 2013
Czech Republic12134 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-04-04 14:15:19
April 04 2019 14:11 GMT
#73
On April 04 2019 17:38 Poopi wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 04 2019 17:21 deacon.frost wrote:
On April 04 2019 14:07 pvsnp wrote:
On April 04 2019 13:55 Anc13nt wrote:
On April 04 2019 05:00 Xain0n wrote:
On April 04 2019 04:12 Charoisaur wrote:
In a head-to-head I'd favor Maru everytime due to Serral's weak ZvT but I think Serral has overall been the better player this year so looking at head-to-head between 2 players only isn't a very good way to go about it.


Maru's TvZ is on average better than Serral's ZvT; however, I'd bet on BlizzCon Serral over Code S S2 Maru every time.
Serral played very few games against Terran during his period of dominance(excluding HSC which was played on another patch), but he looked deadly at GSL vs the World; also, Maru's TvZ was shaky in 2019, Serral might have won if they faced at WESG.


Tbh, INnoVation's TvZ is pretty bad compared to Maru's. His winrate against Koreans offline from 2018 to now is barely 50% and it doesn't seem to have gotten much better (it's 38% so far this year, and if you count his games against Serral, it would still only be 48%). I think people believe his TvZ is stronger than it really is because he took a lot of sets off Rogue but I honestly think that Rogue (Solar maybe) is probably the most inconsistent top player in terms of the quality of his play. That said, INnoVation's TvT has been looking really strong. He outclassed Maru pretty badly at WESG.

Edit: I will admit, INnoVation's series against Serral showed that he can play TvZ very well but I honestly think Maru's TvZ is much stronger. INnoVation basically never beats Dark nowadays and Maru is probably the only terran who is favoured against Dark (no other terran is even close to being even with Dark). Maru's TvZ winrate in from 2018 to now is 70% (and 75% this year over 12 games), which is way higher than INnoVation's,


What evidence do we have that Maru's TvZ is godlike? Which top Zergs has he beaten recently?

The only notable TvZ I can remember Maru playing this year is against Dark at IEM–but Inno also played a very impressive TvZ at IEM, and then did it again at WESG. Not to mention Maru's appalling series against Scarlett, plus getting upset by MeomaikA, both of which seriously undermine his TvZ credentials in my eyes.

Maru at his peak plays a very scary TvZ, but I'm not seeing much evidence that he's anywhere near his peak right now.

MeomaikA games:
Game#1 - Maru went for a drop while MeomaikA went for the baneling bust. The armies missed each other, MeomaikA flooded Maru's natural while having enough lings to not allow a safe drop. If he knew who MeomaikA is he wouldn't do the drop so carelessly
Game#2 - BO loss with Maru ignoring/forgetting full wall of main.

I don't think these games are any special prove that his TvZ is not in a good form, apart from Bly I don't know about anyone this aggressive, maybe RO16 Scarlett

Not to mention that Scarlett can go toe to toe with the best Terrans, this just undermines her achievements more than Maru's TvZ

Maru definitely knows who Meomaika is since they played each other a lot on the ladder.

Then the games don't make any sense. He could have forgotten the addon, but the move-out in G1 doesn't make any sense at all if I accept the description of MeomaikA.


On April 04 2019 22:30 Greenei wrote:
Seems to me you are way harder on Serral than you are on Dark.

Most of the time Dark is competing in more stacked tournaments than Serral, so even if this is true, is it especially wrong?
I imagine France should be able to take this unless Lilbow is busy practicing for Starcraft III. | KadaverBB is my fairy ban mother.
brickrd
Profile Blog Joined March 2014
United States4894 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-04-04 16:38:24
April 04 2019 16:37 GMT
#74
On April 03 2019 17:24 midhigh wrote:
I think this time it would have been more appropriate to put two #2-s or something like this in the ranking and simply avoiding to give out the #1 spot to anyone, since no one is deserved to be #1 this month, and nobody is playing like one.
In my eyes #1-4 is all at the same level right now, with more than one questionable losses already this year.

then it's not a power rank, it's just a vague tier list

people need to realize power ranks are for fun and to spark debate. it's not science, and it's not a crime to just throw someone in a certain spot and defend it with subjective analysis. no one is going to fucking die if a power rank is "wrong"
TL+ Member
Vindicare605
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
United States16126 Posts
April 04 2019 21:58 GMT
#75
On April 04 2019 08:06 Kazi25 wrote:
Is the monthly power rank slowly turning into a curse?


Maru was on top basically all last year and he still swept the GSL.
aka: KTVindicare the Geeky Bartender
tskarzyn
Profile Joined July 2010
United States516 Posts
April 04 2019 23:22 GMT
#76
Until he wins something, the only power ranking Dark should top is Master Choke Artist. His recent performances are a continuation of this theme.
fastr
Profile Joined February 2011
France902 Posts
April 06 2019 06:33 GMT
#77
So it seems that Code S Maru managed to prove his doubters wrong once again. It's puzzling how dominant he looks season after season of GSL, yet he's so inconsistent in international tournaments. Is it the format? Is it the tailored builds for the opponent? The jet lag meme?

In any case, he made Trap look like he never belonged in the ro4. I think no matter what the final result, this 4-0 cements his second place in the ranking. As for Classic, his narrow win over Dark might propel him to top 5, I think it's a really close call between him Inno and soO at the moment.

Now as much as I was impressed by Classic's run, I actually think Maru will repeat today's performance and offer us a good old 4-0 boring final. His TvP is mindboggling, give him one week to prepare for his opponent and we might witness the first 4 consecutive time code S winner.
ZigguratOfUr
Profile Blog Joined April 2012
Iraq16955 Posts
April 06 2019 06:41 GMT
#78
On April 04 2019 23:11 deacon.frost wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 04 2019 17:38 Poopi wrote:
On April 04 2019 17:21 deacon.frost wrote:
On April 04 2019 14:07 pvsnp wrote:
On April 04 2019 13:55 Anc13nt wrote:
On April 04 2019 05:00 Xain0n wrote:
On April 04 2019 04:12 Charoisaur wrote:
In a head-to-head I'd favor Maru everytime due to Serral's weak ZvT but I think Serral has overall been the better player this year so looking at head-to-head between 2 players only isn't a very good way to go about it.


Maru's TvZ is on average better than Serral's ZvT; however, I'd bet on BlizzCon Serral over Code S S2 Maru every time.
Serral played very few games against Terran during his period of dominance(excluding HSC which was played on another patch), but he looked deadly at GSL vs the World; also, Maru's TvZ was shaky in 2019, Serral might have won if they faced at WESG.


Tbh, INnoVation's TvZ is pretty bad compared to Maru's. His winrate against Koreans offline from 2018 to now is barely 50% and it doesn't seem to have gotten much better (it's 38% so far this year, and if you count his games against Serral, it would still only be 48%). I think people believe his TvZ is stronger than it really is because he took a lot of sets off Rogue but I honestly think that Rogue (Solar maybe) is probably the most inconsistent top player in terms of the quality of his play. That said, INnoVation's TvT has been looking really strong. He outclassed Maru pretty badly at WESG.

Edit: I will admit, INnoVation's series against Serral showed that he can play TvZ very well but I honestly think Maru's TvZ is much stronger. INnoVation basically never beats Dark nowadays and Maru is probably the only terran who is favoured against Dark (no other terran is even close to being even with Dark). Maru's TvZ winrate in from 2018 to now is 70% (and 75% this year over 12 games), which is way higher than INnoVation's,


What evidence do we have that Maru's TvZ is godlike? Which top Zergs has he beaten recently?

The only notable TvZ I can remember Maru playing this year is against Dark at IEM–but Inno also played a very impressive TvZ at IEM, and then did it again at WESG. Not to mention Maru's appalling series against Scarlett, plus getting upset by MeomaikA, both of which seriously undermine his TvZ credentials in my eyes.

Maru at his peak plays a very scary TvZ, but I'm not seeing much evidence that he's anywhere near his peak right now.

MeomaikA games:
Game#1 - Maru went for a drop while MeomaikA went for the baneling bust. The armies missed each other, MeomaikA flooded Maru's natural while having enough lings to not allow a safe drop. If he knew who MeomaikA is he wouldn't do the drop so carelessly
Game#2 - BO loss with Maru ignoring/forgetting full wall of main.

I don't think these games are any special prove that his TvZ is not in a good form, apart from Bly I don't know about anyone this aggressive, maybe RO16 Scarlett

Not to mention that Scarlett can go toe to toe with the best Terrans, this just undermines her achievements more than Maru's TvZ

Maru definitely knows who Meomaika is since they played each other a lot on the ladder.

Then the games don't make any sense. He could have forgotten the addon, but the move-out in G1 doesn't make any sense at all if I accept the description of MeomaikA.


Show nested quote +
On April 04 2019 22:30 Greenei wrote:
Seems to me you are way harder on Serral than you are on Dark.

Most of the time Dark is competing in more stacked tournaments than Serral, so even if this is true, is it especially wrong?


Meo did cancel his roach warren game 1 (which Maru saw) and lair (which Maru didn't see get canceled iirc), so he might have gotten mindgamed a bit. Also let's be honest, Maru doesn't play in the slightest careful against players he thinks are worse than he is.
Poopi
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
France13021 Posts
April 06 2019 08:21 GMT
#79
The fun thing is that meomaika loss didn’t count but people point this as Maru sucking in TvZ, yet the Serral loss at IEM against INno was only because it didn’t count.

Double standards

Today results comfort the top 2 of Maru at least
WriterMaru
Fango
Profile Joined July 2016
United Kingdom8987 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-04-06 09:55:24
April 06 2019 09:54 GMT
#80
On April 06 2019 15:33 fastr wrote:
So it seems that Code S Maru managed to prove his doubters wrong once again. It's puzzling how dominant he looks season after season of GSL, yet he's so inconsistent in international tournaments. Is it the format? Is it the tailored builds for the opponent? The jet lag meme?

Maru just isn't as good outside of korea. People really underrate the effects on travel in sc2. If you bring it up people just accuse you of making excuses for X player losing.

Some people aren't good travelers. It can be the change in time zone, sudden change of diet (this can be a big one for performance), or possibly just inexperience competing in that environment. Players like Taeja or foreigners are used to it, but someone like Maru who's used to proleague and starleagues might not be.

Although Maru isn't as good in weekenders as well. Personally I think that's less to do with preparation and more stamina or maybe his wrists. Because even his mechanics look better in starleagues than weekenders, it's not like he's winning GSL of build order wins.
Zest, sOs, PartinG, Dark, and Maru are the real champs. ROOT_herO is overrated. Snute, Serral, and Scarlett are the foreigner GOATs
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 44m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 188
StarCraft: Brood War
Mind 1211
Horang2 1132
ggaemo 672
Larva 583
Stork 347
Bisu 339
Leta 214
PianO 187
Killer 45
Hyuk 45
[ Show more ]
Sexy 36
EffOrt 29
Bale 24
yabsab 20
Hm[arnc] 15
ZergMaN 15
sorry 13
Soma 11
Dota 2
XcaliburYe225
League of Legends
JimRising 353
Reynor86
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1203
Other Games
Mew2King149
crisheroes105
ArmadaUGS59
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick561
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream189
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 6
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 5966
• lizZardDota2303
League of Legends
• Stunt1189
• Jankos1077
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
44m
Online Event
1h 44m
FEL
6h 44m
AI Arena Tournament
7h 44m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
9h 44m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d
INu's Battles
1d 2h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 9h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 9h
Replay Cast
1d 14h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.