• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:19
CEST 05:19
KST 12:19
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach0[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon101Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool The Death of Cheese: From a Professional Cheeser
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach StarCraft Human 'N' AI League
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9647 users

soO: "I think that [GuMiho] is going to be my strongest op…

Forum Index > SC2 General
55 CommentsPost a Reply
1 2 3 Next All
TL.net ESPORTS
Profile Joined July 2011
4 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-06-21 11:47:11
June 21 2017 09:41 GMT
#1
With the GSL Code S Grand Finals rapidly approaching, we were very interested in what the two finalists had to say right before a huge event in both of their careers. And so we ruthlessly took advantage of Mizenhauer's "vacation" in Korea and had him interview both of them. Thanks to Afreeca for helping to arrange the interviews!


[image loading]
This is an old picture.



You just made it to your sixth GSL final. How does that feel?

I can’t say I’m all glad, because I had to face one of my closest friends in the semifinals. So at the moment I think I feel more guilty than pleased.

So it's a bittersweet experience for you?

Yeah, you could say that.

Reaching the Season 1 final seemed really improbable, but this season looked fated from the start. How did you feel starting from the Round of 32?

Last season was my first final in a long time, but after I had made it up there once it felt easier to do it again than it did the first time. So I was playing confidently and I think that helped me make it to the finals.

You didn't practice much early this season. Why is that?

When I got second place again last season I fell into a state of detachment, I lost a lot of motivation, I felt frustrated that I’d failed again. So I wanted to focus more on resting rather than practicing for a while.

You had (T)Maru, (Z)Dark and (Z)Losira in the Round of 16 and started to play more. Is it fair to say it was as if a switch went off in your head, as if you said "this is serious now"?

In the Ro32 my opponents were relatively easy, so I took it easy on myself. But when I advanced to the Ro16 I couldn’t find a single weak opponent. I thought that I would get knocked out if I didn't take it seriously, so that's when I started practicing hard again.

The Round of 8 was against someone who you had a bad record against. How did you prepare against (Z)Rogue with your history?

There aren't many Zerg progamers, so it was hard for me to find practice partners. So I practiced mostly on ladder. And I thought about the games in my head a lot, so I think that mental preparation helped as well.

Can you explain the ceremony at the end of the match?

The ceremony? Yeah, I usually do the thumbs-up pose. There's no special meaning to it, I just did this pose a lot, even from the BW days. I guess it's kinda like muscle memory, I just do it out of habit.

Coming back to the semifinals, did you think it would be this easy?

I did not expect it. I thought it would be a very difficult match whether I won or lost. I thought it would go to the final map. But when I was practicing for the semis, I prepared so that I would be playing differently from my usual playstyle. I think (P)Classic had prepared anticipating my usual playstyle, so I think this twist I added made it really hard for him.

You seemed to get the better end of the build orders in this series. Classic is known to be the better one between the two of you when it comes to preparation, but it didn't look that way.

Last season Classic helped me a lot with practice, so Classic knows my playstyle very well. I thought if I did my usual thing it would not work against Classic, so I tried to mix things up as much as possible. I alternated between games where I added a twist and where I played it straight up, and I think that confused Classic.

You've had a number of practice partners over the past two seasons, and you've also used the ladder to great effect. Do you think your preparation has actually benefitted from this new age of not having a team?

Back when I was at SKT there was the coaching staff as well as team management, so I was under constant pressure to practice. And if you're forced to do something against your will, it makes you not want to do it. As I spent more years in the team, the burnout got worse and I lost my focus. I slacked off a lot. Now that I'm not in a team, there's nobody who’s looking after me and there’s no regular salary. I feel like I’m on my own now, so I definitely practice harder compared to when I was still on the team.

You're now in your second consecutive finals. What are your impressions of (T)GuMiho?

I didn’t consider him an especially strong player but recently he's been practicing very hard, so that's different now. I think that he's going to be my strongest opponent this season.

Looking a little ahead, you're pretty much locked for BlizzCon. What does making it to the stage mean to you?

I've been to BlizzCon once, but back then I think I didn't appreciate how important that was. I figured I would just make it up again next time. But it’s three years later and I still haven’t been back at BlizzCon. I’ve learned from the past three years and I won’t make the same mistake again. I’ll make the most of my opportunity and make sure I win this time.

You've been streaming for foreign audiences for almost a year now. Are you excited to play games for them in person?

I used to meet foreign fans a lot because I attended quite a few foreign tournaments. I really enjoyed the cheering from the foreign crowds, that was a great memory for me. I'm excited to go back and and experience that audience again.

I couldn't let you go without asking an age old TLnet question: If your loved ones were kidnapped by pirates and you could only rescue them by recruiting three other SC2 progamers, who would they be and why?

Do we need to like, vanquish the pirates? Hmmm (laughs). I’ve never thought about something like this. Give me a moment to think about it.

First would be (P)Stats, because he's got such a great personality and he’s smiling all the time. So I think if Stats walks up to the pirates smiling, they'll listen to him. So he'll be there as a last resort. I don't want Classic 'cause he's a scaredy-cat. Can I take a foreign player?

Of course.

Then I want (T)MajOr. MajOr would be able to communicate with them really well. I think the pirates are going to be foreigners. And then (T)Maru. They'll let him off the hook because he is really cute.




Interview:
mizenhauer
Translation: Verecunda
Editor: Olli
Facebook Twitter Reddit
TL+ Member
Sakat
Profile Blog Joined October 2014
Croatia1599 Posts
June 21 2017 09:48 GMT
#2
soO might just be the first player not to underestimate GuMiho this season
My boy Ptak defeated two GSL champions!
-Kyo-
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Japan1927 Posts
June 21 2017 09:50 GMT
#3
On June 21 2017 18:48 Sakat wrote:
soO might just be the first player not to underestimate GuMiho this season


and therefore be too scared to play well and get 2nd place again.

i c it all now...

poor guy D:
Anime is cuter than you. Legacy of the Void GM Protoss Gameplay: twitch.tv/kyo7763 youtube.com/user/KyoStarcraft/
TL+ Member
Kazi25
Profile Joined July 2016
Philippines236 Posts
June 21 2017 09:53 GMT
#4
Great interview Can't wait for GumiGod's.
DieuCure
Profile Joined January 2017
France3713 Posts
June 21 2017 09:57 GMT
#5
On June 21 2017 18:48 Sakat wrote:
soO might just be the first player not to underestimate GuMiho this season


He did until he beat TY i think
TL+ Member
Vendethiel
Profile Joined February 2017
213 Posts
June 21 2017 09:58 GMT
#6
And then (T)Maru. They'll let him off the hook because he is really cute.

You got that right, soO.
Maru <3
Charoisaur
Profile Joined August 2014
Germany16095 Posts
June 21 2017 10:00 GMT
#7
Back when I was at SKT there was the coaching staff as well as team management, so I was under constant pressure to practice. And if you're forced to do something against your will, it makes you not want to do it. As I spent more years in the team, the burnout got worse and I lost my focus. I slacked off a lot. Now that I'm not in a team, there's nobody who’s looking after me and there’s no regular salary. I feel like I’m on my own now, so I definitely practice harder compared to when I was still on the team.

this is interesting. Seems like the korean approach to practicing may not always have been the optimal way.
Many of the coolest moments in sc2 happen due to worker harassment
Olli
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
Austria24422 Posts
June 21 2017 10:02 GMT
#8
On June 21 2017 19:00 Charoisaur wrote:
Show nested quote +
Back when I was at SKT there was the coaching staff as well as team management, so I was under constant pressure to practice. And if you're forced to do something against your will, it makes you not want to do it. As I spent more years in the team, the burnout got worse and I lost my focus. I slacked off a lot. Now that I'm not in a team, there's nobody who’s looking after me and there’s no regular salary. I feel like I’m on my own now, so I definitely practice harder compared to when I was still on the team.

this is interesting. Seems like the korean approach to practicing may not always have been the optimal way.


There's a good number of players who said it didn't work for them, TaeJa most notably never wanted it. What's odd, though, is that soO reached the real heights of his career and skill while on SKT, but talks about slacking off. I guess the environment burns players out in the long run.
Administrator"Declaring anything a disaster because aLive popped up out of nowhere is just downright silly."
DieuCure
Profile Joined January 2017
France3713 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-06-21 10:10:37
June 21 2017 10:08 GMT
#9
On June 21 2017 19:00 Charoisaur wrote:
Show nested quote +
Back when I was at SKT there was the coaching staff as well as team management, so I was under constant pressure to practice. And if you're forced to do something against your will, it makes you not want to do it. As I spent more years in the team, the burnout got worse and I lost my focus. I slacked off a lot. Now that I'm not in a team, there's nobody who’s looking after me and there’s no regular salary. I feel like I’m on my own now, so I definitely practice harder compared to when I was still on the team.

this is interesting. Seems like the korean approach to practicing may not always have been the optimal way.


Dark got worse, INnoVation and soO better, we arent equal in terms of autonomy. Maybe because they are pro for more time.

+

On June 05 2017 18:53 Olli wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 05 2017 17:08 Kaizor wrote:
On June 05 2017 10:20 Meepman wrote:
On June 05 2017 07:44 Fango wrote:
will the winner of byun vs maru be considered no longer slumping or just in less of a slump than the other?


if maru builds more than 1 reaper per game he's still slumping in my heart


Being able to get to the semi finals of any premier tournament is always a decent accomplishment, especially considering how competitive korea is this year, so i would call it no longer slumping.



I heard that soO played roughly 50 games all season and still made the Ro8. I don't see how Korea is particularly competitive at the moment.



I guess you was wrong
TL+ Member
Raineeb
Profile Joined September 2016
Philippines39 Posts
June 21 2017 10:18 GMT
#10
No article on yet on WCS Jonkoping results??? It has been more than 48 hours
My Life for Aiur! But Freedom is priceless also :) [ Neeb | Stats | Rain | sOs | ByuN | Maru | MCanning | Winter | Lowko | PiG ]
DieuCure
Profile Joined January 2017
France3713 Posts
June 21 2017 10:20 GMT
#11
On June 21 2017 19:18 Raineeb wrote:
No article on yet on WCS Jonkoping results??? It has been more than 48 hours


Code B is that important ?
TL+ Member
Raineeb
Profile Joined September 2016
Philippines39 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-06-21 10:26:12
June 21 2017 10:21 GMT
#12
On June 21 2017 19:20 DieuCure wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 21 2017 19:18 Raineeb wrote:
No article on yet on WCS Jonkoping results??? It has been more than 48 hours


Code B is that important ?


These's so much off days from GSL that it gets boring to wait. We need news from WCS Circuit too. Speaking of Code B tell that to your countryman Ptitdrogo. He advanced deep in Jonkoping.
My Life for Aiur! But Freedom is priceless also :) [ Neeb | Stats | Rain | sOs | ByuN | Maru | MCanning | Winter | Lowko | PiG ]
Musicus
Profile Joined August 2011
Germany23580 Posts
June 21 2017 10:22 GMT
#13
This is great, thank you!

I really hope soO wins this time.
Maru and Serral are probably top 5.
AbouSV
Profile Joined October 2014
Germany1278 Posts
June 21 2017 11:25 GMT
#14
soO's stream mod collaboration (and Olli, always Olli) :D

On June 21 2017 18:41 TeamLiquid ESPORTS wrote:
First would be (P)Stats, because he's got such a great personality and he’s smiling all the time. So I think if Stats walks up to the pirates smiling, they'll listen to him. So he'll be there as a last resort. I don't want Classic 'cause he's a scaredy-cat. Can I take a foreign player?

Of course.

Then I want (T)MajOr. MajOr would be able to communicate with them really well. I think the pirates are going to be foreigners. And then (T)Maru. They'll let him off the hook because he is really cute.

Avoiding any fights. Clever boy.
Subflow
Profile Joined August 2016
52 Posts
June 21 2017 11:34 GMT
#15
that interview was hillarious, total proof that koreans actually DO have a personality
munch
Profile Joined July 2014
Mute City2363 Posts
June 21 2017 11:38 GMT
#16
I think the pirates are going to be foreigners


Best line 2017
WriterForm is temporary, MMA is permanent || http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/508630-article-archive
blunderfulguy
Profile Blog Joined April 2016
United States1415 Posts
June 21 2017 11:51 GMT
#17
Verecunda MVP <3
Blunder Man doing everything thing a blunder can.
EEk1TwEEk
Profile Joined June 2017
Russian Federation193 Posts
June 21 2017 11:54 GMT
#18
I think Gumiho will take the title. He is an underdog, and soO has this antirecord of 6 finals.
This man suffers from a bad heart, but I have plenty of medicine.
Fango
Profile Joined July 2016
United Kingdom8987 Posts
June 21 2017 12:03 GMT
#19
Wonder if they were such friends when classic won the final against him haha

Gogo soo
Zest, sOs, PartinG, Dark, and Maru are the real champs. ROOT_herO is overrated. Snute, Serral, and Scarlett are the foreigner GOATs
Argonauta
Profile Joined July 2016
Spain4967 Posts
June 21 2017 12:05 GMT
#20
soO thinking Lotv Solar is an easy opponent... Interesting
Rogue | Maru | Scarlett | Trap
TL+ Member
1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
00:00
2026 GSTL: Grand Finals
CranKy Ducklings121
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
23:00
OSC Masters Cup #151 Qualifier
davetesta29
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 205
StarCraft: Brood War
Terrorterran 13
Dota 2
monkeys_forever1076
NeuroSwarm186
League of Legends
JimRising 720
Counter-Strike
taco 341
minikerr45
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King229
hungrybox120
Other Games
summit1g9262
Maynarde252
ArmadaUGS46
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick447
StarCraft: Brood War
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 8
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 170
• Letter144
• practicex 3
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 3
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo928
• Rush623
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
6h 42m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
7h 42m
Monday Night Weeklies
12h 42m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 6h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 6h
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 20h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.