• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:07
CEST 22:07
KST 05:07
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon110
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7686 users

[Interview] Dead Pixels' FanTaSy

Forum Index > SC2 General
70 CommentsPost a Reply
1 2 3 4 Next All
TameNaken
Profile Blog Joined June 2012
Australia361 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-06-22 13:26:59
June 08 2015 14:26 GMT
#1
This interview was translated by Matthew Burke (current student at Macquarie University) on the 8/6/15

[image loading]



Source: inven eSports

An interview with (T)FanTaSy by 신동근 of inven eSports, posted on the 21st of May 2015


Q. Hello, please introduce yourself for the Inven readers!

I think this is the first time I’ve been interviewed by Inven. I’m on my 9th year as a progamer, currently playing for team ‘Dead Pixels’, my name is Jeong Myeong Hoon (FanTaSy).

Q. Recently you made the decision to leave your old team, SKT, which you had been with for a very long time. Was there any fears leading up to you leaving?
It was a very big turning point for me. Firstly there was a good opportunity to move teams, in the year before leaving I didn’t have many chances to play so I felt like a burden. I thought I needed a change. I believed that if I left I could do well so I made the bold decision to leave. Currently I’m satisfied with my decision of leaving SKT.

Q. How did you spend your time after leaving your old team?
I packed my bags and headed down to Busan where I rested for a while. I indulged in a long break which I hadn’t had for a long time. Actually after the article that announced I had left SKT was released the first team to contact me was Dead-Pixels. At that time I didn’t know what type of team they were. As a newly created team I didn’t really trust them. So at first I thought I should try and see what other teams are out there. But I found out that the market for foreign teams isn’t as good as I expected it.

Just as I was finding it hard to find a new team I got a message from ‘(Z)TRUE’ who I had become good friends with. True recommended this team to me and I ended up joining Dead Pixels. Out of all the foreign teams they seemed the best. They’ve taken care of me more than I thought was physically possible, everyone is passionate about what they do and we get along well. I think I made the right choice of team.

[image loading]



Q. You’re associated with a foreign team but you keep training at home, is there any difficulties in training alone?
Recently the hardest thing for me is that there’s very few people to practice with. When I was on SKT there were dedicated practice partners that could play whenever you wanted and as much as you wished. So that difference is difficult. The last season of GSL was like that, I’m experiencing a lot of difficulty when preparing for tournaments. Especially when I’m matched against a player with a lot of personal connections. Even if they’re not that well connected the amount of people I can practice with is small and it’s getting even smaller. So that’s the biggest problem for me.

Q. Who are some of the players that help you most with practice?
My team members (P)Patience and (Z)TRUE give me the most Practice. And out of my old team members (Z)Soulkey, (P)Rain, (P)PartinG , (T)Journey and (Z)Sacsri have helped me a lot. But every now and again we get matched against each other in tournaments so in those situations I get help from previous SKT players.

Q. Are there any differences between a Korean and Foreign team? Did you ever think about moving to a different Korean team?

In Korean teams you can’t really manage yourself, the system is set up to maintain your skill level at all costs. The salary is also safe but because you get tied up to higher expectations there’s not much time to rest or relax.

As for foreign teams you get to attend a lot of foreign tournaments, do some sightseeing, meet new people and in general experience things that you can’t experience on a Korean team. It’s also a more relaxed environment. The down side is that there’s not very many practice partners and the salary is smaller.

I’m still very satisfied with my current lifestyle so I don’t have any immediate thoughts about going to a Korean team. After a couple tournaments had ended I even had time to go shopping so I was happy then.

Q. You’re practicing by yourself so you’re in an environment where you can lose focus but you’ve consistently been making good results. Do you have a special way of managing yourself?

I don’t write a list of things to do. Instead my general attitude is really important. Because there’s no one besides taking care of me, if I don’t work hard my skills will definitely fall behind. I would really hate that so if there is a tournament I practice really hard. I realized that there isn’t a whole lot of time to practice, so that when I do practice I always put in my best effort.

Q. Recently S-Benu has recruited a lot of players. By any chance were you also contacted?

I was contacted. The manager Seon-Jong Lee (이선종) gave me a personal phone call. He was honest about wanting to recruit me, either way I was already recruited and satisfied with my new team so I declined him in a roundabout way. But I really appreciate that he asked me personally.

[image loading]



Q. Are you aware of the praise you’re currently getting from fans for being honest and having a good mentality?

(Laughs) If I say it myself it doesn’t mean much but I’m aware to some extent. Honestly I also think that I have a meticulous personality. I like making plans, I don’t like doing anything spontaneously. There’s a lot of players who approaching their retirement age say ‘I’ll just mess around for a year then retire.’ Personally I want to work my hardest till the end so I can retire with no regrets.

Q. In that case what’s the most important value to you?

I think that you should chase after honor more than money. Even if there was no prize money I’d still want to be a champion. But I only have the breathing room to say this because I made a lot of money back in StarCraft 1. For now I’m happy when I can show good games to the fans. Because of that inner feeling I’m able to keep playing.

Q. Now that we’re talking about good games how fast was your heart beating after winning the game of your life against (Z)soO?

In that game I was worried until the very last second. If I was even one second late it would have been dangerous so I was trembling. Because I won that game I was really glad. To the extent that in my whole career I had never played a game like this, I considered it the best game of all time. If I had lost that game my mental strength would have been shattered and I probably would have went on to be eliminated. Even for me it felt like a thrill. In one side of my brain I was thinking ‘the community is gonna go crazy over this one.’ (Laughs)

[image loading]



Q. You entertained us with a great game there but only a few days later were eliminated from ‘Kespa Cup’ what do you think was the reason for your loss?

Usually I like to study my opponent before the match. So I watched some VODS and saw that (Z)Dark (박령우) rarely loses to Bio play. I saw that and didn’t believe in my own ability so I tried the strategical route of quickly transferring to Mechanic but he blocked it well.

On the 4th set I realized it might be the last match so I thought let’s just try out some Bionic and it was surprisingly effective. I had to have belief in myself but I realized it too late. I lost to an all-in on the 5th set which tasted bitter. So I think it was because I didn’t believe in myself, Dark is very good against Terrans so from the very start I was scared so that’s why I think I lost.

Q. The last individual season was similar, for a long time you keep improving but then get blocked. From a gamers isn’t that situation tiring?

Even in the past I’ve had a lot of situations where I’d be doing well and suddenly lose. I think of them as weak points I have to improve. But as time goes by I realize they are getting fixed little by little. If I have a lot of time to think it turns out to be ok but I usually don’t have that much free time. I go into it thinking if I can practice harder ill fix my mistakes and make a new image. This GSL season I definitely won’t make those types of mistakes.

[image loading]



Q. A lot of players said there goal for the season was to get to the quarterfinals so they can receive a seed into the next season. But you said you wanted to hold the trophy, is there a reason you gave that distinct answer?

Honestly if you asked me that same question a little while ago I would have given that stock standard answer. But recently when I went to IEM Katowice just before I started the ro16 match with (P)Zest (주성욱) he said ‘I came here to win the whole thing.’ At that time it didn’t look like he was going to do it but in reality he did.

When I saw that I felt I had to have that type of attitude if I want to win. After that it won’t feel weird if I get a championship since I was just reaching my goal. I’ve learned a lot by watching Zest as a player.

Q. No matter how hard a match I’ve never seen you concede defeat until the very end. Is there a reason for it? Did you get that habit from seeing another player?

(Laughs) From a long time ago I’ve always liked games. Even if it’s a lost game I like controlling the units I have left. I heard that when foreign plays see my games where I don’t leave until the end they call it a ‘FanTaSy GG timing’. From a spectators viewpoint it might be frustrating but if I can endure and keep enduring then I can show once in a life time games like the recent one (against SoO).

But even so if you compare it so Starcraft 1 my GG timing is a lot quicker (Laughs).

Q. It’s a shame but we have to finish off the interview. Any last words for the fans?

Recently online and at the game studio a lot of fans have been interested in my activities so I feel encouraged. It’s been 9 years since I became a progamer but now I’m more satisfied with my lifestyle than ever before. My goal for this year is to get to Blizzcon, to achieve that goal I’ll be practicing hard. I hope you keep cheering for me in the future!

[image loading]
Facebook Twitter Reddit
TameNaken
Profile Blog Joined June 2012
Australia361 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-06-09 02:24:11
June 08 2015 14:29 GMT
#2
This interview was translated my Matthew Burke on the 8/6/15.

Enjoy the interview. If there's anything wrong with it I won't see it for a while (12:30 AM here in Australia) but ill check tomorrow.
deacon.frost
Profile Joined February 2013
Czech Republic12133 Posts
June 08 2015 14:37 GMT
#3
Thanks a lot! Very good interview, nice reading! Fantasy knows his GG timing is known across the world, i liked that part
I imagine France should be able to take this unless Lilbow is busy practicing for Starcraft III. | KadaverBB is my fairy ban mother.
myRZeth
Profile Joined June 2011
Germany1047 Posts
June 08 2015 14:42 GMT
#4
he appears to be a genuine nice guy!
Xaeldaren
Profile Joined June 2010
Ireland588 Posts
June 08 2015 14:43 GMT
#5
That was a fantastic interview! I'm a fan of Fantasy after this.
imre
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
France9263 Posts
June 08 2015 14:43 GMT
#6
Nice interview, thanks a lot
Zest fanboy.
Onegu
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States9699 Posts
June 08 2015 14:57 GMT
#7
Always been a huge fan. Glad he did this interview. Very insightful.
Try TL Mafia!!!
Ragnarork
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
France9034 Posts
June 08 2015 14:58 GMT
#8
Really nice interview! Well done, Fantasy fighting!
LiquipediaWanderer
BLinD-RawR
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
ALLEYCAT BLUES51538 Posts
June 08 2015 15:02 GMT
#9
Cool interview!

for those who don't know of Fantasy's legendary GG timing. http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/brood-war/195375-fantasys-gg-timing
Brood War EICWoo Jung Ho, never forget.| Twitter: @BLinDRawR
AWalker9
Profile Blog Joined August 2013
United Kingdom7229 Posts
June 08 2015 15:08 GMT
#10
Really cool interview, thanks for posting!
soOjwa has returned to smite all that stand in his way
Musicus
Profile Joined August 2011
Germany23580 Posts
June 08 2015 15:09 GMT
#11
Nice interview, I really hope he can make it to BlizzCon! Definitely one of my favourite players these days .
Maru and Serral are probably top 5.
oGoZenob
Profile Joined December 2011
France1503 Posts
June 08 2015 15:17 GMT
#12
glad to see dead pixel wasnt a scam afterall
I like starcraft
GTR
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
51694 Posts
June 08 2015 15:22 GMT
#13
lol he acknowledges the legend of his gg timing.
still salty though back in july 2012 when i was in korea, he beat flash 3-0 in the tving osl semi-final and i got the chance to take a photo of him, only for three ravenous fangirls to drag him away from me.
Commentator
sparklyresidue
Profile Joined August 2011
United States5524 Posts
June 08 2015 15:38 GMT
#14
Ah, great interview. Fantasy is one of my favorite players of all time, no question. He seems like a very nice guy too. I want to see much more of him in the future!
Like Tinkerbelle, I leave behind a sparkly residue.
Cazimirbzh
Profile Joined February 2014
334 Posts
June 08 2015 15:49 GMT
#15
this guy is awesome^^i love how he respond to the noob "FanTaSy GG timing"
Hope DeadPixels give him the means to victory.

"In Korean teams you can’t really manage yourself, the system is set up to maintain your skill level at all costs. The salary is also safe but because you get tied up to higher expectations there’s not much time to rest or relax."
One day, maybe foreigners will understand what's Pro and training mean^^
Abradix1
Profile Joined November 2012
Netherlands609 Posts
June 08 2015 16:00 GMT
#16
Great interview, also the more I hear about Dead Pixels and their players the more I like their team and attitude.
payopayo
Profile Joined December 2014
28 Posts
June 08 2015 16:13 GMT
#17
What a boss!
Gwavajuice
Profile Joined June 2014
France1810 Posts
June 08 2015 16:25 GMT
#18
Really excellent interview, thx for the translation.
Dear INno and all the former STX boys.
Serimek
Profile Joined August 2011
France2274 Posts
June 08 2015 16:33 GMT
#19
FanTaSy so likeable and interesting to listen to. He had a nice personality and he plays like a top 5 terran, what can we ask more ?
SC2 is the best game to watch and was the best to play before I grew old and slow...
Glioburd
Profile Joined April 2008
France1911 Posts
June 08 2015 16:39 GMT
#20
Thanks for the interview, and thanks for the translation
Gogo Crown Prince !
"You should hate loosing, but you should never fear defeat." NaDa.
1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 53m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 543
UpATreeSC 97
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 791
Dewaltoss 108
firebathero 81
Zeus 64
910 38
Trap 36
NaDa 28
Bale 25
ToSsGirL 18
Shine 13
Dota 2
Gorgc6562
420jenkins279
monkeys_forever77
Counter-Strike
edward92
Super Smash Bros
ArmadaUGS149
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu2222
Other Games
summit1g5680
Grubby2796
B2W.Neo679
Beastyqt639
shahzam415
byalli411
KnowMe158
C9.Mang0143
TKL 139
ToD107
Railgan19
Chillindude10
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV245
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream102
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 34
• Adnapsc2 12
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki33
• blackmanpl 10
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Shiphtur278
• WagamamaTV248
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
3h 53m
Kung Fu Cup
14h 53m
Stellar Fest
16h 53m
The PondCast
1d 13h
OSC
1d 16h
OSC
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.