• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:13
CEST 04:13
KST 11:13
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Recent patches and the Future StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Rp8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 4852 users

[Interview] iloveoov after boxer

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
CloudCloud
Profile Blog Joined January 2015
15 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-05-04 23:43:42
May 04 2015 23:21 GMT
#1
+ Show Spoiler +
Source: http://s.163.com/14/0507/13/9RL58J4P00314Q8T.html


Translator Note: This interview is focused on iloveoov, the head coach of SKT1. It was done around the second to last week of SPL round 3 in 2014. The interview mainly documents some of the struggles that oov faces and briefly mentions his predecessor Boxer.

After Boxer retires, iloveoov talks about his coaching experience


[image loading]

Q: How does it feel to have finally won on the third round?

A: I feel nervous during every competition. Since I'm always worried, I become tired (laughs). I'm often scared about every game, it's so painful. Before Boxer retired as head coach, I noticed that his head had a lot of white hairs. I asked him "why do you have white hair", and he responded, "you'll understand one day". At the time, I didn't understand why. Even though I don't have any white hair now, I'm already understanding how Boxer felt. (laughs) Even though we might have gotten first during the regular season, I still can't relax or celebrate because there's still more tournaments left to go.

Q: You couldn't make it to the round 2 playoffs?

A: I wasn't nervous during round 1. I was filled with confidence, but after we lost the finals, round 2 was played poorly, so there was no way we were going to make the round 2 playoffs. I can only blame myself. Despite having such a good lineup, we still did poorly. I guess I'm not meant to be a head coach. If the players and coaches are that skilled, the head coach should be confident. However, I feel so helpless. I constantly compare myself to other coaches, whom I think are better. It's not just me though. The other coaches have that mindset also.

Q: During round 3, you managed to get an overwhelming first place.

A: Last year on September 17, I just retired and then became a SKT coach. I've already been a head coach for 6 months, giving myself high standards. (laughs) Whether you're a player or a coach, you will always have time to gain experience. Even though I was already head coach, I thought I would still have some time to gain experience (laughs). However, since my expectations were too high, getting second place in round 1 wasn't enough. No one said we did really well, only my wife congratulated me (laughs). As for round 2, we didn't enter the playoffs, so people lowered their hopes, reducing the pressure on me. Having a realistic view of the team's capabilities helps me as a coach. Even if we have to switch coaches due to poor performance, I still want to lead the team the way I see fit. I can't sleep well with all the worrying, but I still have enough time to focus and lead the team in the right direction. Now, I feel like the team is stable enough to improve itself to some extent. It's amazing. There's a bond between me and the team.

Q: Players in these individual rounds are often repeat winners

A: The individual rounds don't have any practice time, but somehow people still win those rounds (laughs). Even though I give the players practice time for individual rounds, they only practice for SPL. You might think I'm making this up, but this is for real (laughs). For example, Dark doesn't practice, but when he wins during the individual rounds.

Of course, the individual rounds have multiple battles, so the pressure isn't too much. There's a lot of pressure for SPL. On round 3, we make sure to reduce the pressure for our team. The working staff don't even enter the room, just to lower the pressure on the players. I tell the players to just play as they see fit.

Q: Now you're waiting until round 3 to get first place.

A: If we lost during the finals, we would only get second place. However, since we did well during round 3, this shouldn't be a problem. If we somehow don't do well on the spot, it will be hard to lead the team. But anyways, the players in round 3 will always find a way to play well. So even if we don't get first place, it won't hurt morale that much. I'm confident that we can do well in round 4. And with the finals BO7, we definitely have an advantage. With all of these events going on, even if we don't get first place, I'll still be happy. As long as the players are playing their best, I don't care about everything else.

Q: Any last words?

A: Before going to the military, there was only SC1. After retiring, there's already SC2. I don't like pointless things, but I really feel like this game isn't without meaning. Our hearts are open to SC2 fans or any fans of other games, so I hope everyone will support us. I hope that the games aren't just a performance for our fans, but part of a culture where people can enjoy esports. In this way, the players will have more motivation and can play better. From now on, I hope people will give us more love.
TelecoM
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States10861 Posts
May 04 2015 23:34 GMT
#2
Amazing interview, SlayerS`BoxeR` and ilOveoOv were LEGENDS in BW, they will live in no matter what they do. Thanks for this! Interesting to see iloveoov's comments on boxer
AKA: TelecoM[WHITE] Protoss fighting
oneofthem
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Cayman Islands24199 Posts
May 04 2015 23:35 GMT
#3
it's rare to see oov's vulnerable side. nice read
We have fed the heart on fantasies, the heart's grown brutal from the fare, more substance in our enmities than in our love
playa
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States1284 Posts
May 05 2015 00:10 GMT
#4
I wish they would ask him how infuriating it is for Boxer to be considered a better player and get so much attention, relative to him, when he's so incredibly bad in comparison.
ValM
Profile Joined May 2010
India408 Posts
May 05 2015 00:17 GMT
#5
I just can't wait to gobble up any words coming from the legend himself. It was like a dream for me to see MMA being trained by the Boxer Oov duo and continuing the legacy of the royalty thats Skt1, So sad the way things turned out with slayers and the MMA boxer relationship collapsing. And their treatment of Fantasy wasn't something I agreed with as well. The way Fanta is playing right now is a testament to that.
The Terran Prince is now the king. Maru | MMA | Mvp forever
neteX
Profile Joined April 2015
Sweden285 Posts
May 05 2015 00:18 GMT
#6
wasn't there some rumors about iloveoov committing a crime? Or was that someone else? Just curious
http://www.twitter.com/neteXLoL flw pls
althaz
Profile Joined May 2010
Australia1001 Posts
May 05 2015 00:19 GMT
#7
I miss the days when every poll about who will win had the number one result "Boxer" - even if he didn't really belong in the poll.
The first rule we don't talk about race conditions. of race conditions is
DarkPlasmaBall
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States46474 Posts
May 05 2015 00:37 GMT
#8
Obligatory nostalgia:

[image loading]

Love oov and Boxer <3 SKT best KT
"There is nothing more satisfying than looking at a crowd of people and helping them get what I love." ~Day[9] Daily #100
oneofthem
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Cayman Islands24199 Posts
May 05 2015 00:43 GMT
#9
back in the day when he was playing and in the scene the biggest victim of the boxer hype/nostalgia was oov, to the extent that people cannibalized his accomplishments with stuff like boxer's protege as though oov wasnt a completely different and revolutionary player. but oov was always magnanimous and gracious about it.
We have fed the heart on fantasies, the heart's grown brutal from the fare, more substance in our enmities than in our love
ValM
Profile Joined May 2010
India408 Posts
May 05 2015 00:48 GMT
#10
On May 05 2015 09:43 oneofthem wrote:
back in the day when he was playing and in the scene the biggest victim of the boxer hype/nostalgia was oov, to the extent that people cannibalized his accomplishments with stuff like boxer's protege as though oov wasnt a completely different and revolutionary player. but oov was always magnanimous and gracious about it.


People believe what they like to believe. Power is like shadow. And a small man can cast a large shadow.
The Terran Prince is now the king. Maru | MMA | Mvp forever
spritzz
Profile Joined November 2009
Canada331 Posts
May 05 2015 00:59 GMT
#11
This interview and the previous one from Savior are 1-2 years old. I wonder how much of it still applies.
zugzug
IndecisivePenguin
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
United States771 Posts
May 05 2015 19:29 GMT
#12
Although SKT isn't my number one SC2 team, I'm always going to support Papa oov. He was a phenomenal BW Terran, and a big inspiration for me when I started playing BW. He's truly a titan in my mind on the same level as Boxer and NaDa, and I'm glad to see him still in love with the e-Sports scene.
littlsimba01
Profile Joined May 2015
1 Post
Last Edited: 2015-05-05 19:39:09
May 05 2015 19:36 GMT
#13
Bot edit.

User was banned for this post.
Jenia6109
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Russian Federation1613 Posts
May 06 2015 09:07 GMT
#14
I'd like to hear something about Coach Park from Iloveoov.
INnoVation TY Maru | Classic Stats Dear sOs Zest herO | Rogue Dark soO
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7h 48m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 192
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2530
NotJumperer 2
Dota 2
monkeys_forever835
NeuroSwarm171
Other Games
summit1g8546
Coldzera 788
Day[9].tv737
JimRising 581
C9.Mang0349
PiGStarcraft194
ArmadaUGS49
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick870
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream283
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 117
• Letter146
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Day9tv737
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
7h 48m
Afreeca Starleague
7h 48m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
21h 48m
Kung Fu Cup
1d 8h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.