• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:51
CEST 18:51
KST 01:51
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7125 users

[Interview] Thorzain on Naniwa, life as a pro, etc

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 Next All
vrok
Profile Joined August 2009
Sweden2541 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-19 15:07:41
April 19 2013 11:34 GMT
#1
"The Swedish Championships has become a derby between us"

Article and interview with Thorzain on life as a Starcraft pro, Swedish E-sports Championships - http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/E-Sport_SM_2012-2013/Finals - and the 'rival' Naniwa on Sweden's biggest news site Aftonbladet that I decided to translate for you guys (hype!).

[image loading]

Source: Aftonbladet


Pending Swedish Championships-player Thorzain has something to say about 'Naniwa'.
      But first: the bomb alarm.
      And the lasagna.


It's hard to think of 'Thorzain' without thinking of Kim Jong-un.
      Seoul glows of neon. Pyongyang is darkened. South Korea is one big cluster of gaming cafés with the world's fastest internet connections. In North Korea only parts of the elite are connected. Nowhere else is the contrast between distress and excess as sharp as on the Korean peninsula. Between the powerlessness and hopelessness of the northern side, and the ambitions and dreams of the southern, the distance is only four kilometers.
      The Swedish 'Starcraft' player Marcus 'Thorzain' Eklöf came home in March from his latest professional sojourn in South Korea. The North Korean leader Kim Jong-un - called 'The Great Successor' - had harshened his tone while Marcus was still in the country.
      - I woke up from a bomb alarm one morning. The time was barely 6 am. I was a bit disoriented. "Where am I? Oh, right, Korea." I was a bit scared at first, but no one else seemed to care.


"Not worried at all"

      Only three years ago North Korea bombed the island group of Yeonpyeong. Four people died. Despite threats from the north life in the south goes on as usual.
      - No, I never heard anyone mention anything about the conflict. You don't feel any worry at all. I wouldn't be too worried to go back, says 'Thorzain'.
      Marcus is one of biggest stars in Swedish E-sports. It's what you become after having played in the best Korean league there is. It's what you become after winning Dreamhack Open on the home field in Stockholm. The Koreans gave him a nickname, "Spoon Terran", for his methodical and thoughtful play. "Like killing someone with a spoon." I suggest to Marcus that he's one of the players where you can most clearly tell how his personality colors his playstyle. Not because he's capable of killing someone with a spoon, but because he appears wise, thoughtful and patient.
      - Yeah, that's probably accurate. I usually plan things ahead. But my way of playing probably has a lot to do with fear too. Sometimes I don't know if I'm ahead or if I'm behind. Or: I'm not sure how far ahead I am. Then it's easier to choose not to take risks.


"Would like to become a psychiatrist"

      Recently, Marcus' teammate in Evil Geniuses, the french player Ilyes 'Stephano' Satouri, announced that he was going to quit playing 'Starcraft', at only 20 years of age. And when you talk to Marcus, who is now 22, you can sense the ambivalence that often shows itself in interviews with other 'Starcraft' players. Those who understand that maybe they should start thinking about a life after E-sports.
      - My shape right now? A six or a seven. I could have been playing more than I have lately. I'm a bit rusty. I've been busy with the SATs. I would like to become a psychiatrist. I've always been very interested in psychology.
      After having been in South Korea multiple times, at one point staying and training in the legendary Slayers house, Marcus went back once more late last year. Excited for another three month stay he'd bought a Korean dictionary and a textbook to practice the language. But his energy ran low.
      - It feels good to be back home in Sweden again. I shouldn't have been in Korea as long as I was. You get tired of it after a while. All the food starts tasting the same. They're of course different dishes. But after a while you realize that it actually tastes the same.
      He got lasagna when he came home to his parents in Stockholm.


E-sports, a display window for big businesses

      In its haste to be taken seriously the E-sports industry is often looking to paint a flashy picture of young stars in a modern world. Often competing over having the largest prize pool and which players have the biggest sponsors. E-sports is an ultra commercial display window for business logos. But when the lights go out, the cameras turn off and the set is dismantled, the E-sports stars, often merely teenagers, reenter everyday life. They go back home to mom and dad and eat lasagna.
      When Marcus Eklöf was competing at Dreamhack Open in Stockholm last year he used public transportation to get to the event. Once there he entered the bubble of the world of E-sports and became the mighty 'Thorzain'. The fans held up signs with his name. He sensationally won the whole tournament by defeating the mighty Korean Choi 'Polt' Seong Hoon in the finals. In the emotinal high of victory he raised both his arms towards the sky. In the left hand holding a bottle of champagne. He can't quite remember how he got home afterwards, but it was most definitely not in a limousine.
      - I believe I used public transportation then as well.


"Quite rude in real life"

      - You have to separate all that from everyday life. Like an off switch almost. When you arrive at the competitions you're prepared for all that, you're prepared for the photographers. You're a superstar on the 'Starcraft' stage. But as soon as you get off you're Marcus Eklöf again. Even if you occasionally get recognized on the streets.

Do you feel like you adopt different personalities?
      - No, I'd say I'm probably the same person. I guess there are some that try to alter their personalities. Some are quite rude in real life.

Are you thinking of someone in particular?
      - No, I don't want to mention any names.
Now Marcus is leaving for Gothenburg to compete in the sixth Swedish Championship qualifications to reach the playoffs at Dreamhack Summer. He's the reigning Swedish champion and his participation has increased in intensity because of what happened a month ago. When his countryman Johan 'Naniwa' Lucchesi during the qualifications in Malmö was asked who is the 'King of the north' - a title both 'Naniwa' and 'Thorzain' has shared between them - Lucchesi attacked Eklöf:
      - I don't want to be compared to 'Thorzain', I think I'm much better than him. The only reason I'm playing the Swedish Championships is to beat him.


"Laughable"

You can almost hear how Marcus sighs when you recite the statement.
      - The last time we met I won. His best results have exceeded mine. But we're both very up and down when it comes to results. I don't know what he has against me because I haven't done anything to him except like... playing 'Starcraft'. I've never said anything bad about him.

But don't you become upset by hearing that kind of statement?
      - ...I'm used to it. He's been doing this for a while. I almost think it's just laughable.

Who is Sweden's best player right now?
      - It's probably 'Naniwa'. But if we'd both be in top shape then I'm not sure.

What does the Swedish Championships mean to you?
      - It means a lot now that 'Naniwa' has been making a big deal out of it. He almost made it into a Swedish derby between him and me.

It has become a competition about who is the 'King of the north'.
      - Yes, exactly.



Here's also the small Swedish Championships fact blurb and tournament schedule listed after the article:

Marcus' tough road towards a new Swedish Championship gold.

It's of course not a given that Marcus will succeed to defend his title from last year. It's not even a certainty that he'll make the playoffs. In Gothenburg on Saturday he'll be pitted against accomplished players such as Kim 'Sase' Hammar, Jeffrey 'Sjow' Brusi and Joacim 'Runa' Persson. Should Marcus lose in the qualifications in Gothenburg he'll have two more chances, in Norrköping in May and Jönköping in June.

Should he make the playoffs the stage is set for a thrilling struggle between him and Johan 'Naniwa' Lucchesi. 'Naniwa' outclassed all competition when he won the qualifications in Malmö in March.

Schedule for the qualification tournament on Saturday, Apr 20 2:00pm GMT (GMT+00:00):

14:00 GMT (+00:00) Live broadcast begins of the sixth qualification tournament of the Swedish Championships @ aftonbladet.se/spela

14:30 GMT (+00:00) Fifa 13 finals.

16:00 GMT (+00:00) Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition finals.

16:30 GMT (+00:00) Counter-Strike: Global Offensive finals.

19:00 GMT (+00:00) Starcraft II semifinal 1.

20:00 GMT (+00:00) Starcraft II semifinal 2.

21:00 GMT (+00:00) Starcraft II finals.
"Starcraft 2 very easy game" - White-Ra
Longtimer
Profile Joined April 2013
490 Posts
April 19 2013 11:42 GMT
#2
So mannered. Thorzain is really putting the sex into Starcraft.
ZooG
Profile Joined January 2008
Sweden618 Posts
April 19 2013 11:46 GMT
#3
Intresting read. Thorzain is a really good e-sports ambassador too i like his calm style
"Rain, also a name for a meteorological condition" -Artosis
Irrational_Animal
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany1059 Posts
April 19 2013 11:47 GMT
#4
So does him learning for the SATs mean that he will start studying after the summer (same as Stephano)? I hope to see some last strong months from him then.
opterown *
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Australia54784 Posts
April 19 2013 11:47 GMT
#5
i don't think of kim jong un when someone says thorzain, lol
ModeratorRetired LR Bonjwa
TL+ Member
vrok
Profile Joined August 2009
Sweden2541 Posts
April 19 2013 11:50 GMT
#6
On April 19 2013 20:47 opterown wrote:
i don't think of kim jong un when someone says thorzain, lol

I don't think many people do, haha. It's just Aftonbladet being sensationalist. It's what they do best.
"Starcraft 2 very easy game" - White-Ra
Chewie
Profile Joined May 2010
Denmark708 Posts
April 19 2013 11:54 GMT
#7
On April 19 2013 20:47 opterown wrote:
i don't think of kim jong un when someone says thorzain, lol

me neither wtf?
Teoyaomqui
Profile Joined November 2010
Sweden326 Posts
April 19 2013 11:55 GMT
#8
Good read, I'll root for Thorzain.

He's the raining Swedish champion


Reigning.
vrok
Profile Joined August 2009
Sweden2541 Posts
April 19 2013 11:56 GMT
#9
On April 19 2013 20:55 Teoyaomqui wrote:
Good read, I'll root for Thorzain.

Show nested quote +
He's the raining Swedish champion


Reigning.

Thanks!
"Starcraft 2 very easy game" - White-Ra
Killmouse
Profile Joined August 2010
Austria5700 Posts
April 19 2013 11:59 GMT
#10
any liquidpedia link to that championship?
yo
nanaoei
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
3358 Posts
April 19 2013 12:03 GMT
#11
Well done. Come on thorzain, give us some nerd-chills again!!
*@boesthius' FF7 nostalgia stream bomb* "we should work on a 'Final Progamer' fangame»whitera can be a protagonist---lastlie: "we save world and then defense it"
igay
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
Australia1178 Posts
April 19 2013 12:06 GMT
#12
what a well written presented piece
MVP <3 MKP <3 DRG <3
vrok
Profile Joined August 2009
Sweden2541 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-19 12:58:44
April 19 2013 12:20 GMT
#13
Added the fact blurb and qualifications tournament schedule listed after the article. Also added complete list of players already qualified for the playoffs.

On April 19 2013 20:59 Killmouse wrote:
any liquidpedia link to that championship?

Not that I know of or can find. Sorry. Someone will have to get on that. Even their own site in Swedish is very useless in this regard.

Edit: http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/E-Sport_SM_2012-2013/Finals
"Starcraft 2 very easy game" - White-Ra
Zealously
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
East Gorteau22261 Posts
April 19 2013 12:21 GMT
#14
On April 19 2013 21:06 igay wrote:
what a well written presented piece


Yes, very unlike Aftonbladet. Except the part about Kim Jong-un and North Korea; what the fuck is that about?
AdministratorBreak the chains
Pjorren
Profile Joined August 2011
Sweden777 Posts
April 19 2013 12:47 GMT
#15
On April 19 2013 21:20 vrok wrote:
Added the fact blurb and qualifications tournament schedule listed after the article. Also added complete list of players already qualified for the playoffs.

Show nested quote +
On April 19 2013 20:59 Killmouse wrote:
any liquidpedia link to that championship?

Not that I know of or can find. Sorry. Someone will have to get on that. Even their own site in Swedish is very useless in this regard.

Here is a good link http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/E-Sport_SM_2012-2013/Finals

I hope it will be ThorZaIN vs Naniwa in the finals this year!
KaiserKieran
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
United States615 Posts
April 19 2013 12:48 GMT
#16
Wait so Stephano retired?
c0ldfusion
Profile Joined October 2010
United States8293 Posts
April 19 2013 12:49 GMT
#17
On April 19 2013 21:48 KaiserKieran wrote:
Wait so Stephano retired?

Wondering the same thing but I thought he said he'd retire once his current contract is up.
Heartland
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Sweden24604 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-19 12:50:12
April 19 2013 12:50 GMT
#18
It was actually very well written, far more so than anything I've ever read in Swedish and most of what I've read in english.


(For esports, that is)
Nekovivie
Profile Joined October 2011
United Kingdom2599 Posts
April 19 2013 12:54 GMT
#19
On April 19 2013 20:47 opterown wrote:
i don't think of kim jong un when someone says thorzain, lol


I don't either, not to mention I've never seen anyone else make that connection before now.. >_>

It's kind of an insult to be compared to the ruler of north korea.
If you are not supporting K-Pop you are hurting E-Sports.
mrRoflpwn
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States2618 Posts
April 19 2013 12:56 GMT
#20
Well written for sure. I really like korean food. The only food that all blends together and tastes the same for me is american food. University has made me hate american food completely.
Long live the Boss Toss!
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Monday Night Weeklies
16:00
#65
RotterdaM647
TaKeTV 179
IndyStarCraft 117
BRAT_OK 107
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 647
TKL 225
ProTech138
IndyStarCraft 117
BRAT_OK 107
UpATreeSC 71
Rex 45
Codebar 44
MindelVK 11
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 1016
EffOrt 613
Mini 539
ggaemo 206
firebathero 183
Dewaltoss 114
Rush 76
Barracks 69
910 65
Zeus 52
[ Show more ]
Shine 48
Hyun 46
Killer 37
Shinee 35
Bale 28
soO 23
ToSsGirL 22
Sexy 18
Trap 16
yabsab 12
Sacsri 8
Dota 2
qojqva4333
Dendi1688
Counter-Strike
Fnx 776
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes1003
Liquid`Hasu423
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi2289
singsing1939
B2W.Neo505
Beastyqt381
ceh9343
Sick185
ArmadaUGS126
C9.Mang062
Trikslyr47
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream529
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• mYiSmile124
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix10
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2917
• TFBlade826
Other Games
• WagamamaTV277
• Shiphtur9
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
17h 9m
Afreeca Starleague
17h 9m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 7h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 18h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.