• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:44
CEST 20:44
KST 03:44
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9404 users

Proposed Design Changes To StarCraft 2's UI - Page 11

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 9 10 11 12 13 16 Next All
Fandango
Profile Joined October 2011
291 Posts
March 16 2012 01:54 GMT
#201
Nice video and work but you really over dramatised it with the "And what I found was nothing short of groundbreaking..." line that made me throw up in my mouth a little. I mean you're not really doing anything remotely groundbreaking as much as it is a couple of improvements that are on people's wishlists but are lower priority to implement on a development side. I'm not trying to undermine your work I just think you shouldn't present it as if you're some kind of UI Columbus sailing seas people had never heard of.

It's good to sell yourself, but remember that these are people who you will have to work with on a daily basis and be candid with at an interview, so when you send in a video with dramatic background music that feels more like a video meant to woo clueless investors than get across ability to do the job given to you, it can hurt you as much as help you.

The main thing to understand is that if you're applying for a job that requires years of experience, you likely won't get it entirely because the reason experience is so important in the games industry is the familiarity with the process, hierachy and the feature set of typical toolsets (like Scaleform or other common UI middleware). If it's not a junior/graduate position then they're going to expect you to be able to integrate very quickly and if you don't have that experience you will need time, regardless of how talented you are (or think you are).

With all that said, you can never go wrong by putting in a lot of effort and trying to get a job that might just be above your current level, I know plenty of people who have got jobs just by being confident in their ability to do the job without necessarily having the pre-requisites. Just don't remotely expect it to happen.

In the likely event this doesn't go well, just try and get started in the industry in general in the field you want to get involved in, you should not be getting into the industry to only ever work on games you like, you should do it because you enjoy the work itself on its own merits. Also when you get turned down, politely (and for god's sake don't badger people, just ask once) for the reasons why and what you could do to improve your portfolio and skill set in that area. Believe it or not but most professionals like to get treated like experts on their field and don't mind answering questions.
alteredsego
Profile Joined November 2010
United States50 Posts
March 16 2012 01:55 GMT
#202
On March 16 2012 10:46 Jonoman92 wrote:
Really great ideas. I would love an integrated replay autosave function where you can format the name of the replay file to include player names and other customizable options. That presentation was just incredibly impressive in my eyes, good luck on getting the position.


Thank you... yeah I thought of that as well, and it would be great to see it implemented. Given that you would be exiting a game while the replay file is being written... I imagine that would be easy to do, even if it was not retroactive.
"When I was a child, I spake as a child, I felt as a child, I thought as a child: now that I am become a man, I have put away childish things." I Corinthians 13:11 (Alternately Cereal Killer from Hackers)
ravenKRaz
Profile Joined March 2011
United States580 Posts
March 16 2012 01:56 GMT
#203
yes please!!!
DarkneSS.1360
qwertyindeed
Profile Joined November 2010
151 Posts
March 16 2012 01:57 GMT
#204
good luck on getting the position (lol but back in my mind the Conspiracy Keanu meme is running: "what if blizzard read what the community said and plan to adress the issues, but 1st want to release him as a beta tester to see how the community respond to the changes ")
DYEAlabaster
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Canada1009 Posts
March 16 2012 01:58 GMT
#205
Please give this a spotlight, please give this guy a job.
SiN]
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States540 Posts
March 16 2012 01:58 GMT
#206
hope this works out for you
alteredsego
Profile Joined November 2010
United States50 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-16 02:03:22
March 16 2012 02:01 GMT
#207
On March 16 2012 10:54 Fandango wrote:
Nice video and work but you really over dramatised it with the "And what I found was nothing short of groundbreaking..." line that made me throw up in my mouth a little. I mean you're not really doing anything remotely groundbreaking as much as it is a couple of improvements that are on people's wishlists but are lower priority to implement on a development side. I'm not trying to undermine your work I just think you shouldn't present it as if you're some kind of UI Columbus sailing seas people had never heard of.

It's good to sell yourself, but remember that these are people who you will have to work with on a daily basis and be candid with at an interview, so when you send in a video with dramatic background music that feels more like a video meant to woo clueless investors than get across ability to do the job given to you, it can hurt you as much as help you.

The main thing to understand is that if you're applying for a job that requires years of experience, you likely won't get it entirely because the reason experience is so important in the games industry is the familiarity with the process, hierachy and the feature set of typical toolsets (like Scaleform or other common UI middleware). If it's not a junior/graduate position then they're going to expect you to be able to integrate very quickly and if you don't have that experience you will need time, regardless of how talented you are (or think you are).

With all that said, you can never go wrong by putting in a lot of effort and trying to get a job that might just be above your current level, I know plenty of people who have got jobs just by being confident in their ability to do the job without necessarily having the pre-requisites. Just don't remotely expect it to happen.

In the likely event this doesn't go well, just try and get started in the industry in general in the field you want to get involved in, you should not be getting into the industry to only ever work on games you like, you should do it because you enjoy the work itself on its own merits. Also when you get turned down, politely (and for god's sake don't badger people, just ask once) for the reasons why and what you could do to improve your portfolio and skill set in that area. Believe it or not but most professionals like to get treated like experts on their field and don't mind answering questions.


Well I have worked in the industry a bit in the past. I was part of a Research and Development team that developed motion capture software that has been used in games and movies a good bit. When I was there we were heavily involved with WETA with doing all the mocap work for the LOTR movies, and stuff like that. I think that type of enviroment is probably pretty similar to Blizzard, but hey you know what: if I fail, I fail. At least I gave it my best effort.

As for the hyperbole: I was initially trying mimic one of Apple's product release videos; so that is why the language is the way it is. I don't believe I am all that amazing. I just work hard, and I know and am passionate about the game: thats it. And the purpose of this video was to put some of that on display and to get me noticed.

I appreciate the comment though, and trust me I know it is a long shot... but you know what it is fun. So I am enjoying it so far.
"When I was a child, I spake as a child, I felt as a child, I thought as a child: now that I am become a man, I have put away childish things." I Corinthians 13:11 (Alternately Cereal Killer from Hackers)
alteredsego
Profile Joined November 2010
United States50 Posts
March 16 2012 02:02 GMT
#208
On March 16 2012 10:57 qwertyindeed wrote:
good luck on getting the position (lol but back in my mind the Conspiracy Keanu meme is running: "what if blizzard read what the community said and plan to adress the issues, but 1st want to release him as a beta tester to see how the community respond to the changes ")


That would be pretty funny. If I get hired I will definitely mention that to them lol.
"When I was a child, I spake as a child, I felt as a child, I thought as a child: now that I am become a man, I have put away childish things." I Corinthians 13:11 (Alternately Cereal Killer from Hackers)
CeriseCherries
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
6170 Posts
March 16 2012 02:04 GMT
#209
Good luck! Nothing seems to do anything but improve the UI~tbh its kinda annoying how poor the UI is considering geez blizzard you had the better part of a decade
Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.
Keitzer
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States2509 Posts
March 16 2012 02:06 GMT
#210
What's going on in her...

OH my!

Nice resume... (video, whatever)... I hope you get a job bro, it's pretty damn good.
I'm like badass squared | KeitZer.489
alteredsego
Profile Joined November 2010
United States50 Posts
March 16 2012 02:17 GMT
#211
I have to crash now (was up all last night finishing the video an rewriting my resume), I look forward to reading everyone's comments when I am done hibernating. (So sorry if I don't respond to anyone right away.)
"When I was a child, I spake as a child, I felt as a child, I thought as a child: now that I am become a man, I have put away childish things." I Corinthians 13:11 (Alternately Cereal Killer from Hackers)
wester25
Profile Joined December 2010
Canada63 Posts
March 16 2012 02:17 GMT
#212
love this
good luck
Fandango
Profile Joined October 2011
291 Posts
March 16 2012 02:22 GMT
#213
On March 16 2012 11:01 alteredsego wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 16 2012 10:54 Fandango wrote:
Nice video and work but you really over dramatised it with the "And what I found was nothing short of groundbreaking..." line that made me throw up in my mouth a little. I mean you're not really doing anything remotely groundbreaking as much as it is a couple of improvements that are on people's wishlists but are lower priority to implement on a development side. I'm not trying to undermine your work I just think you shouldn't present it as if you're some kind of UI Columbus sailing seas people had never heard of.

It's good to sell yourself, but remember that these are people who you will have to work with on a daily basis and be candid with at an interview, so when you send in a video with dramatic background music that feels more like a video meant to woo clueless investors than get across ability to do the job given to you, it can hurt you as much as help you.

The main thing to understand is that if you're applying for a job that requires years of experience, you likely won't get it entirely because the reason experience is so important in the games industry is the familiarity with the process, hierachy and the feature set of typical toolsets (like Scaleform or other common UI middleware). If it's not a junior/graduate position then they're going to expect you to be able to integrate very quickly and if you don't have that experience you will need time, regardless of how talented you are (or think you are).

With all that said, you can never go wrong by putting in a lot of effort and trying to get a job that might just be above your current level, I know plenty of people who have got jobs just by being confident in their ability to do the job without necessarily having the pre-requisites. Just don't remotely expect it to happen.

In the likely event this doesn't go well, just try and get started in the industry in general in the field you want to get involved in, you should not be getting into the industry to only ever work on games you like, you should do it because you enjoy the work itself on its own merits. Also when you get turned down, politely (and for god's sake don't badger people, just ask once) for the reasons why and what you could do to improve your portfolio and skill set in that area. Believe it or not but most professionals like to get treated like experts on their field and don't mind answering questions.


Well I have worked in the industry a bit in the past. I was part of a Research and Development team that developed motion capture software that has been used in games and movies a good bit. When I was there we were heavily involved with WETA with doing all the mocap work for the LOTR movies, and stuff like that. I think that type of enviroment is probably pretty similar to Blizzard, but hey you know what: if I fail, I fail. At least I gave it my best effort.

As for the hyperbole: I was initially trying mimic one of Apple's product release videos; so that is why the language is the way it is. I don't believe I am all that amazing. I just work hard, and I know and am passionate about the game: thats it. And the purpose of this video was to put some of that on display and to get me noticed.

I appreciate the comment though, and trust me I know it is a long shot... but you know what it is fun. So I am enjoying it so far.


Good attitude and good luck then!
Bonkerz
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States831 Posts
March 16 2012 02:23 GMT
#214
I agree this guy on staff at blizz would be sweet.
High masters terran streaming in 720p 60 FPS with commentary and analysis after every game twitch.tv/bonkerz1
fish ()(
Profile Joined September 2010
United States72 Posts
March 16 2012 02:37 GMT
#215
Words do not describe what I just watched
Attempting to give a fuck ████████████████ 99% complete. *ERROR* Fuck not given
FinestHour
Profile Joined August 2010
United States18466 Posts
March 16 2012 02:42 GMT
#216
For the sake of e sports and the future of sc2 he must get the job.
thug life.                                                       MVP/ex-
ACIDzap
Profile Joined May 2011
United States50 Posts
March 16 2012 02:43 GMT
#217
You sir have just earned GENIUS status in my book!!!!!
Day[9]
VTArlock
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States1763 Posts
March 16 2012 03:11 GMT
#218
TAKE MY FUCKING MONEY NOW!!!! Blizzard hire this man now! You need him!
Why?
Blasterion
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
China10272 Posts
March 16 2012 03:12 GMT
#219
I am throwing gold bars at my monitor but nothing is happening
[TLNY]Mahjong Club Thread
docvoc
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States5491 Posts
March 16 2012 03:18 GMT
#220
You need to help them with this, you are amazing you have put all of the communities complaints and made them a realistic and easily implemented change , cheers dude you are amazing.
User was warned for too many mimes.
Prev 1 9 10 11 12 13 16 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 5h 16m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 423
ProTech143
UpATreeSC 119
BRAT_OK 116
Railgan 24
MindelVK 23
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 2055
Bisu 993
Shuttle 146
Dewaltoss 111
Trap 29
Bale 25
scan(afreeca) 16
Dota 2
XaKoH 581
420jenkins421
Counter-Strike
fl0m4713
pashabiceps825
Fnx 635
x6flipin199
kRYSTAL_21
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3405
Liquid`Hasu551
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi1730
FrodaN902
B2W.Neo348
Livibee184
C9.Mang0150
TKL 97
QueenE81
RotterdaM56
Mew2King34
ToD22
JuggernautJason13
Organizations
Other Games
WardiTV242
BasetradeTV190
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream30
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Reevou 8
• Adnapsc2 6
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 41
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2638
• TFBlade787
Other Games
• Shiphtur937
• imaqtpie721
• WagamamaTV352
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
5h 16m
Patches Events
21h 16m
The PondCast
1d 15h
INu's Battles
1d 16h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.