• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 03:03
CEST 09:03
KST 16:03
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon106
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] 2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach Bot on ladder BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7229 users

The Executives: The Business of Gaming - Page 8

Forum Index > SC2 General
168 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 Next All
Gamegene
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States8308 Posts
February 28 2012 21:49 GMT
#141
3-5 i will definitely listen to
Throw on your favorite jacket and you're good to roll. Stroll through the trees and let your miseries go.
Psyqo
Profile Joined November 2007
United States401 Posts
February 29 2012 00:03 GMT
#142
Excited for this. Love inside looks at the business behind esports!
Spieltor
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
327 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-29 00:12:27
February 29 2012 00:08 GMT
#143
On February 28 2012 06:46 Smancer wrote:
Jason Lake and Michael O`Dell are the best. I once met them in a bar in the outskirts of Kansas City, Kanasas. They were super cool and even bought my girlfriend a martini. We got talking about esports in general and came to the conclusion that it is good for the state of Kanasas.

Really cool guys.



I can actually distill your comment into a generic format for all future generations to use:

Growth business X, which brings imports Revenue to the state Y, is good.


I just find your conclusion that specifically esports is good for kansas is facile. It's good for any state. IF the state of north korea got involved in E-sports and tried to do in E-sports what the russians tried to do in the Olympics during the cold war, It'd be good for the state of north korea as it would start getting a lot of revenue from global positions and thus increase it's own wealth and its money/power quotient on the world scale.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." -Thomas Jefferson
Norveg
Profile Joined August 2010
6 Posts
February 29 2012 10:10 GMT
#144
someone please record this and make it availible for us in other timezones!
Emix_Squall
Profile Joined February 2012
France705 Posts
February 29 2012 14:58 GMT
#145
I'll definitely be watching in a few hours! Just a question for the next "episodes": will you be providing some VODs and where would we be able to find it?

Anyway thanks a lot for giving us the opportunity to learn more about this market!
Bagration
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
United States18282 Posts
February 29 2012 19:03 GMT
#146
Great show so far. Really enjoying learning more about the business side of things.
Team Slayers, Axiom-Acer and Vile forever
riddi
Profile Joined February 2011
United Kingdom118 Posts
February 29 2012 19:12 GMT
#147
Really enjoying the show, i study business and marketing so its awesome to hear some of this, especially the guy from creative.

One thing i will say is you could usefully define who is your "host", like Mr Lake is kinda taking charge in terms of questions and such, whereas Jason comes across as the guy who is more the "host", so maybe he should be asking them?

Also get ODEE more involved, hes very quiet and shy!

Im just nitpicking though, really enjoying the show
StarStruck
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
25339 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-29 19:28:56
February 29 2012 19:17 GMT
#148
I was about to say. Jason did a great job planning all the questions, but chobo & ODEE have no room to step into the conversation.

It's like having a gun on the stage and the performers never use it. Why is it there?

There's ODEE. =)

And now chobo's asking questions. Good.

Feedback: try to engage everyone into the conversation. Note: I only captured the last thirty minutes of the show.

Pleasure to hear what Ryan had to say.
a9arnn
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States1537 Posts
February 29 2012 19:29 GMT
#149
Thoroughly enjoyed the show, can't wait for the upcoming weeks :D!
VOD finder guy for sc2ratings.com/ ! aka: ogndrahcir, a9azn2 | Go ZerO, Stork, Sea, and KawaiiRice :D | nesc2league.com/forum/index.php | youtube.com/watch?v=oaGtjWL5mZo
Reedjr
Profile Joined April 2011
United States228 Posts
February 29 2012 19:34 GMT
#150
On March 01 2012 04:17 StarStruck wrote:
I was about to say. Jason did a great job planning all the questions, but chobo & ODEE have no room to step into the conversation.

It's like having a gun on the stage and the performers never use it. Why is it there?

There's ODEE. =)

And now chobo's asking questions. Good.

Feedback: try to engage everyone into the conversation. Note: I only captured the last thirty minutes of the show.

Pleasure to hear what Ryan had to say.


I really agree with this. I'm sure they'll get better chemistry as the series continues, but there were a lot of false starts and attempted interruptions that didn't go anywhere. The subject matter was great; I felt that I really learned something about the side of Esports that we mostly just wildly conjecture about.
jlake02
Profile Joined January 2011
United States395 Posts
February 29 2012 19:35 GMT
#151
Great feedback, thanks

I was just trying to keep us on track and keep the conversation moving. We'll plan better so each host shares the questions
compLexity Gaming - @coL_Lake
SigmaFiE
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
United States333 Posts
February 29 2012 19:52 GMT
#152
On February 28 2012 06:46 Smancer wrote:
Jason Lake and Michael O`Dell are the best. I once met them in a bar in the outskirts of Kansas City, Kanasas. They were super cool and even bought my girlfriend a martini. We got talking about esports in general and came to the conclusion that it is good for the state of Kanasas.

Really cool guys.


I figure it was a typo, but please double check your spelling as it is Kansas and not "Kanasas". (I'm a Kansan if you couldn't tell )

On topic: Awesome. Will be checking this out when I get a chance
https://johnemerson.artstation.com/
Ridiculasaur
Profile Joined February 2011
Canada8 Posts
February 29 2012 20:08 GMT
#153
I'm sure you noticed but you did engage into some rants that seemed too long, when col_lake was talking about the FGC and sexist remarks I personally didn't get it. I don't follow the FGC and don't know much about it. But I do know I did not understand the story/history of this problem, and going on for an extended rant of at least 10min certainly didn't help at all. I understand that he was probably very tired/drank lots of coffee but this is the first episode and feedback/criticism is necessary.

At this point it was almost 50min in, I was going to literally post more negative criticism then you see now. Despite being excited to learn about the "sponsorship" side of things, the first part (50min) of the show gave me very little insight about the topic you were going to discuss, it was a huge turn off, it felt like another version of Live on Three giving news on what recently happened and so on. It took the feeling of "okay finally I will learn what people do behind the curtain" out of me. I remember col_lake saying this is the last "topic" of the show, this was such a huge disappointment on what to expect, but giving you the benefit of the doubt I stayed and listened for another few minutes. Col_lake then proceeded to say this is the end of "part one we'll be back in a few." --- which personally gave me a relief.

Now the positive aspects
-I really did like col_lake constantly trying to get the video stream back up, watching a face and listening is much easier to comprehend then trying to just listen.
-If the video feed stopped working or had horrible fps, a picture of the person instantly replaced the video, it was spot on, every time. Much better comparing to State of the Game.
-Regardless of the bumpy part one, I enjoyed the second part SOOOOOO MUUCHHHHHH, the questions asked were perfect and Ryan gave amazing answers, I felt like I learned a lot when he talked just because his opinion just made so much sense and shaded areas became clear. Col_lake truly did a good job in maintaining a certain perspective of the average TL reader, not many people know what it's like to be on the giving and receiving ends of the business side of esports.

To be honest this will actually be the first time I've saved a podcast lol, I just think what I learned here is very valuable and can only promote esports. Btw Odee should talk more.
rotegirte
Profile Joined April 2011
Germany2859 Posts
February 29 2012 20:32 GMT
#154
There is some truth to the parallels to Lo3, but it's more complicated. Naturally you'll going to have overlap since it's two shows involving key industry figures, addressing major aspects of the scene and its business. And I don't find discussing general news out of place per se, since they sometimes can- and MLG PPV and the FGC incident certainly did have substantial impact.

I agree on the criticism of length of focus, though you'll surely get my benefit of the doubt for hosting a completely new show. It is unavoidable to predict upcoming news and their significance. Trying to keep their airtime at some certain length is always a good thing. I know we're all jealous of the trio infernale that is Marcus, Scott and Rod to yell at certain MLG CEO's and things in general.. But in this particular case of the FGC incident, I found it appropriate especially on this show, given the light of business.

On a lighter note, thank you to everyone involved for an interesting first episode.
SigmaFiE
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
United States333 Posts
March 01 2012 02:38 GMT
#155
As previously mentioned -- aside from the false starts, its looking really really good right now. It could be the VOD as I was watching it (or it could be all the other stuff I was trying to do at the same time) -- but I was noticing a syncing problem with the video and the audio. I don't know if I am an outlier though so take that as you will.

I am definitely enjoying the content of the show though (in a way I found it more enjoyable than many of the streams and other talk shows). Will definitely put it on my regular watch-list
https://johnemerson.artstation.com/
KicKDoG
Profile Joined December 2003
Sweden765 Posts
March 01 2012 02:40 GMT
#156
sounds very interesting, well if i'm bored and has nothing to do i will def tune in!
hope everything goes well and gl with the new show!
http://www.twitter.com/KicKDoG_LoL baylife plox?
Matkap
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Spain627 Posts
March 01 2012 02:46 GMT
#157
On February 29 2012 19:10 Norveg wrote:
someone please record this and make it availible for us in other timezones!


there are vods?
A man tells his stories so many times that he becomes the stories. They live on after him, and in that way he becomes immortal.
PineWorks
Profile Joined June 2011
Canada3 Posts
March 01 2012 06:00 GMT
#158
I would have to agree with most of the comments previously mentioned and I think it's a very interesting show.

One thing that I would enjoy seeing, if there will be more than 5 episodes, would be an interview with a twitch.tv/justin.tv executive. I would like to hear more about the business side of streaming from both twitch and the teams/players along with things like the viewer numbers and what they exactly mean.
shockwave1986
Profile Joined December 2010
United Kingdom5 Posts
March 01 2012 06:28 GMT
#159
Brilliant Idea, it's good to see the whole picture of esports rather than just the players.
"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery but Today is a gift, that is why it is called the present" - Master Oogway, Kung Fu Panda
surfinbird1
Profile Joined September 2009
Germany999 Posts
March 01 2012 12:07 GMT
#160
Just finished watching the first episode and I have to congratulate you. This show's a winner. I read so many un-/misinformed opinions around here on TL, it's sickening. This should be required reading viewing for everyone from now on. I agree with the people here that the first part was a bit too long. Would have loved to give the guest more time to elaborate on some things, e.g. ROI, how they calculate/estimate it and so on. But overall a great pilot for the series and the stream production was top notch for sure. I don't know why this only has a couple hundred views on Twitch/Youtube (it certainly deserves more) but please keep this going. Definitely looking forward to ep's 3-5 like many others here.
life of lively to live to life of full life thx to shield battery
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 57m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SortOf 158
StarCraft: Brood War
HiyA 334
actioN 91
Mong 76
Shine 72
NotJumperer 36
Bale 29
Noble 11
Icarus 9
Light 0
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm187
League of Legends
JimRising 602
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 821
Heroes of the Storm
WinterStarcraft747
Other Games
summit1g8631
PiGStarcraft378
ceh9340
Happy277
Livibee108
ArmadaUGS31
RuFF_SC227
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick547
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream501
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH40
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 5
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2361
League of Legends
• Lourlo1451
• Rush1411
• Stunt464
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2h 57m
Afreeca Starleague
2h 57m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
16h 57m
Kung Fu Cup
1d 3h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.