• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:37
CEST 10:37
KST 17:37
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon102Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 11575 users

TL Map Contest Voting! - Page 8

Forum Index > SC2 General
200 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All
ZJAT
Profile Joined October 2011
United States83 Posts
December 15 2011 20:26 GMT
#141
Ohana Cloud kingdom and Korhal are all my favorites... I applaud all the maps though!
"Experimentation is the key to success, though often requisite is failure." -ZG [Zjat's Project Vault] http://zjat.webs.com
AEsgaims
Profile Joined November 2010
United States237 Posts
December 15 2011 20:28 GMT
#142
gogo cloud kingdom!
Apom
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
France656 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-15 20:40:17
December 15 2011 20:39 GMT
#143
Here is how I feel about the different maps, now that I have seen them played on by serious players (I only watched the TL Open final match live, but browsed every replay offered in the OP), as well I tried them out by myself with a friend (gold/platinum level - we both play random, so no racial bias).

Burning Altar
Orange and green is a dubious mix in my opinion (although much better than the former orange/green/purple mix, that was flat-out wrong).
From a gameplay perspective, there is a lot of space to manoeuver air units around the edge of the map, and all mineral locations are next to said map edges (there are none cloe to the center). I personnally feel that Mutalisks are abusive at all levels of play above silver (i.e. when players actually know how to retreat), and a map that encourages them that much is not one I would like to see on ladder.
Also, the watchtowers are activated by any single unit moving straight from your base to your opponent's base, which does not make them a very interesting contention point.
One positive note though : split map play is more pleasant and interesting than on all 4p mirrored maps from Blizzard.

Cloud Kingdom
It's dark, man. It's really dark. My opponent could not see anything in the fog of war (which does not make sending scouts easy). While that specific issue did not trouble me directly (different monitor/settings ?), the minimap was still completely black.
While we are in the aesthetics-that-impact-gameplay-issues, I would like to point out that the ramp decals make it difficult to read where the actual ramp begins and ends.
In terms of layout, the corner expansions will only be taken out of desperation, or irrepentant sneakiness.
Lastly, the large number of parallel paths that can be used to cross the map lends itself to base race scenarios a bit too much to my taste.

Korhal Compound
The large white tiles close to the starting positions are too bright, and unblended - I found them quite distracting. Other aesthetics are well-done and pleasant.
I found the varying expansion heights to be well-balanced and provide good gameplay features. However, their overall layout essentially forces a counter-clockwise expansion pattern : other maps do a better job at providing competitive alternatives in varying directions. While I do not consider this to be an issue for isolated games or infrequent ladder play, it could cause some boredom in the not-so-long term.
Nothing ever happens in the central crater. Once the game reaches 3-base stage, armies don't even walk through it anymore, which makes the Xel'Naga tower kind of pointless since their primary function is to oversee the crater.

Ohana
I liked this map a lot. It feels like what Bel'Shir Beach should have been, and also reminds me of some old Total Annihilation map. It looks good and offers a lot of possibilities in terms of expansion patterns.
I particularly liked that there are two entrances to the natural expansion (one of them being from lower ground, and blocked by rocks - which is fine). While I see how this may cause some QQ from pro or pretend-to-be-pro players, I personnally am of the opinion that unbreachable expansions à la Shakuras Plateau are boring.
One aesthetical grievance : there is a height issue, in the natural expansions, that makes resource patches look bad.

Sanctuary
I will start by saying that pulling off the BW "Aiur" theme in Starcraft II is rarely as well-done as this.
However, as much as I appreciate every attempt at growing out of the 2/4p state of mind, there is too much rotational imbalance on this map. The player who is in the clockwise position has significantly worse options for a third base, and is more vulnerable to drops.

Haven's Lagoon
While this map is still not as technically detailed as the other contenders, the overhaul that it was given after the finalists' anouncement has certainly made it good enough for ladder.
I generally like that someone tried 2p mirrored, so bonus points for that.
I'm not against the more-open-than-usual natural expansion. However, it does feel like going past 2 bases is hard (I doubt we will ever see it in competitive PvP). It's probably good enough for ladder play up to mid-platinum, not so sure after that.
Finally, the mineral location right between the two main bases is really pointless.

Twilight Peaks
I found the lush, greener-than-thou trees to be out of place on a twilight planet. The paler grass, although unusual as well, looks better, and is a nice variation from the usual Shakuras tileset.
In gameplay terms, I found the map balanced and well laid out : it's quite classical, in the sense that while nothing particularly spectacular stood out, I did not find any clear flaw either.

My final ranking
1. Ohana
2. Twilight Peaks
3. Korhal Compound and Haven's Lagoon (tied)
The rest I would not want on ladder anyways, so I'm not going to rank them.
Samro225am
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany982 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-15 20:45:53
December 15 2011 20:39 GMT
#144
On December 16 2011 01:55 Wherewolf wrote:
Some stats I tried to put together. I did this by hand so expect mistakes.
So many mirrors that a lot of the matchup win stats are kind of pointless, especially later on. Both semis, 3 Ro8s, and 3 Ro16s were mirrors.
+ Show Spoiler [Non-Mirror Match-up Results] +
Round of 512 (Bo1)
Ohana:
-PvZ --- PvT - ZvT
16-16 / 7-9 / 12-4
[Remember that many got byes in this round]

Round of 256 (Bo1)
Korhal Compound:
-PvZ ---- PvT ----- ZvT
15-16 / 10-15 / 23-11

Round of 128 (Bo1)
Haven's Lagoon:
PvZ - PvT - ZvT
8-8 / 3-5 / 8-5

Round of 64 (Bo1)
Twilight Peaks:
PvZ - PvT - ZvT
3-4 / 2-4 / 3-5

Round of 32 (Bo1)
Burning Altar:
PvZ - PvT - ZvT
2-2 / 0-2 / 2-4

Round of 16 to Finals (Bo3/5)
Burning Altar:
PvZ - PvT - ZvT
1-0 / 0-1 / 0-1

Cloud Kingdom:
PvZ - PvT - ZvT
2-0 / 1-0 / 1-1

Haven's Lagoon:
PvZ - PvT - ZvT
1-0 / 0-1 / 0-2

Korhal Compound:
PvZ - PvT - ZvT
1-0 / 1-1 / 0-0

Ohana:
PvZ - PvT - ZvT
1-0 / 1-0 / 0-0

Sanctuary:
PvZ - PvT - ZvT
0-1 / 1-0 / 1-0

Twilight Peaks:
Unplayed from Ro2 to Ro32

+ Show Spoiler [Overall Results] +

Total games played includes mirrors.

Burning Altar:
Total games played: 21
PvZ - PvT - ZvT
3-2 / 0-3 / 2-5

Cloud Kingdom:
Total games played: 8
PvZ - PvT - ZvT
2-0 / 1-0 / 1-1

Haven's Lagoon:
Total games played: 71
PvZ - PvT - ZvT
9-8 / 3-6 / 8-7

Korhal Compound:
Total games played: 125
-PvZ ---- PvT ----- ZvT
16-16 / 11-16 / 23-11

Ohana:
Total games played: 105
-PvZ --- PvT - ZvT
17-16 / 8-9 / 12-4

Sanctuary:
Total games played: 7
PvZ - PvT - ZvT
0-1 / 1-0 / 1-0

Twilight Peaks:
Total games played: 31
PvZ - PvT - ZvT
3-4 / 2-4 / 3-5

+ Show Spoiler [Other] +
Total games played overall: 368

Burning Altar was chosen by players 5 times
1 as P vT
1 as P vZ
1 as T vT
2 as T vZ

Cloud Kingdom wasn't chosen by players (was first map in Ro16, not picked after)

Haven's Lagoon was chosen by players 7 times.
2 as P vP
1 as T vP
2 as T vT
1 as T vZ
1 as Z vP

Korhal Compound was chosen by players 2 times.
1 as P vT
1 as P vZ


Ohana was chosen by players 6 times.
1 as P vP
1 as P vZ
1 as T vP
3 as T vT

Sanctuary was chosen by players 3 times.
1 as P vT
1 as T vT
1 as Z vT

Twilight Peaks wasn't chosen by players (was bo1 map in Ro64, not picked after)


Incredibly small number of games on some maps



thanks so much for putting these number together. watched all Round5 games on Burning Altar now, number seems to be correct.

in general the seven maps seem to provide balanced matches. you cannot say much about some maps and matchups. the only thing that bothers me is ZvT on Ohana and Korhal Compound.
+ Show Spoiler +
Korhal Compound:
Total games played: 125
ZvT
23-11

Ohana:
Total games played: 105
ZvT
12-4

Imba? will have to see the matches, but these numbers are different than i would have expected. I rather expected less Terran wins on Lagoon, because the third is a bit difficult - but i guess the numbers are balanced because of shorter games... we really need a statistic on playtime, too
The_Templar
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
your Country52798 Posts
December 15 2011 20:43 GMT
#145
Ohana is by far the best.
Although, I would not mind Cloud kingdom.
ModeratorI am still alive, somehow
TL+ Member
Supreme1337
Profile Joined December 2011
1 Post
December 15 2011 20:54 GMT
#146
Cloud Kingdom looks like it's gonna create this really cool wall in dynamic, where you can slowly expand your territory by walling in more ramps. Ohana looks really nice, but I just think that the gameplay will be really unique on Cloud Kingdom!
Wherewolf
Profile Joined December 2010
United States353 Posts
December 15 2011 20:59 GMT
#147
Playtime would be very painful to do I think ;_;
If I have time later I'll see if I can do it.

From what I saw in the replays I watched, most games were standard two base aggression that outright won or did enough damage to make it a onesided game after. 3rds-5ths hardly ever came into play..
Samro225am
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany982 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-15 21:08:43
December 15 2011 21:01 GMT
#148
On December 16 2011 05:59 Wherewolf wrote:
Playtime would be very painful to do I think ;_;
If I have time later I'll see if I can do it.

From what I saw in the replays I watched, most games were standard two base aggression that outright won or did enough damage to make it a onesided game after. 3rds-5ths hardly ever came into play..


are you talking about a specific map?

edit:

R5 - Burning Altar - average playtime
close spawn: Ø 19.8min
cross spawn: Ø 24.8min

shortest game: 10min PvP in close position
longest game: 34min PvZ in close position (replay in OP iirc)
PopcornColonel
Profile Joined March 2011
United States769 Posts
December 15 2011 21:09 GMT
#149
Definitely cloud kingdom. I don't like ohana at all.
Zerg delenda est.
Kamikiri
Profile Joined October 2010
United States1319 Posts
December 15 2011 21:11 GMT
#150
I like Ohana because it looks so big and happy. I really like positive looking maps.
Steamboatlol
Profile Joined April 2010
United States161 Posts
December 15 2011 21:16 GMT
#151
A lot of these maps have a cliff to the main that is way too large, and would make things like the SlayerS blue flame hellion elevatoring strategy too strong. I really like Haven's Lagoon.
Wherewolf
Profile Joined December 2010
United States353 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-15 21:23:19
December 15 2011 21:19 GMT
#152
I wasn't really thinking of a specific one, but I think had notable differences in average game length. Burning Altar usually got into later games, people favored two base on Haven I believe and Sanctuary because the thirds are a bit unique. TvPs I watched had a lot of 1-1-1s even on the bigger maps, and even the TvTs I saw were decided by early Banshees usually. I felt like people used a lot of strategies that don't depend on the maps much when possible. The finals generally had short games for instance. (proxy stargate attempt, 1-1-1, game 3/4 were longer, then 2rax aggression win)

I think that people like to use more 1/2 base aggression when unfamiliar with a map.
Ellessar_GR
Profile Joined September 2010
United States37 Posts
December 15 2011 21:59 GMT
#153
I vote ohana because it gives the most freedom in gameplay i think.

-You can go air harass and drops easy because of all the free space around it. However the small distances through the center makes this a bit dangerous if you just go harass.

-Easy natural and quite secured third base, so it is macro friendly.

-You can also easily rush since distances are not huge. I also like you can hide prosy near the natural, and also can easy cannon rush from the low ground with a pylon.

-Also nice rock placement.
FoxyMayhem
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
624 Posts
December 15 2011 22:14 GMT
#154
I really like the trend of protoss decals on the ramp. As maps become visually more complex, these work as beacons, allowing me to understand the terrain at a glance, instead of squinting at it for a bit.

After watching some of the replays, my vote goes to Cloud Kingdom. Not just because that game was epic, but because how much that map forces unit positioning into the front, and it's expansion progression.
EdSlyB
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Portugal1621 Posts
December 15 2011 22:26 GMT
#155
I'm still checking the replays. Laggon's seems pretty good. Others are good too but there some 'imbalances' that can be easily solved. After I see the remaining 3 maps I'll sure vote.
aka Wardo
Samro225am
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany982 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-15 22:55:17
December 15 2011 22:38 GMT
#156
On December 16 2011 06:19 Wherewolf wrote:
I wasn't really thinking of a specific one, but I think had notable differences in average game length. Burning Altar usually got into later games, people favored two base on Haven I believe and Sanctuary because the thirds are a bit unique. TvPs I watched had a lot of 1-1-1s even on the bigger maps, and even the TvTs I saw were decided by early Banshees usually. I felt like people used a lot of strategies that don't depend on the maps much when possible. The finals generally had short games for instance. (proxy stargate attempt, 1-1-1, game 3/4 were longer, then 2rax aggression win)

I think that people like to use more 1/2 base aggression when unfamiliar with a map.


Seems like players play shorter, straight forward or rather short games on new maps. So the number of longer games and big number of multi-expansion games shows the potential of Burning Altar, i guess.




the tank issue was adressed and is solved, btw, as part of a general update (dropissue, pathing, visual things)
+ Show Spoiler +

First and foremost I adress the tank drop issue. For me it is important to conserve tank drop options, but do not make it imba in any way.

most important part is the drop pod. now it is easily defendable with two spinecrawler OR two queens + spinecrawler:

[image loading]

[image loading]


the area of hit-able area in the main is also drastically decreased in order to make sure there won't be anything like Alive's cliff tank-drop abuse. Marines signify the tank's reach:

[image loading]


please note that Reapers and Colossi are still able to walk up the main's cliffs.


Link to the map's thread Looking forward to any feedback and more replays!
ladyumbra
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Canada1699 Posts
December 15 2011 23:09 GMT
#157
I need to go over those replays, all I remember of TL open is terrans abusing the ever loving heck out of the ledges on burning altar.
Gamegene
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States8308 Posts
December 15 2011 23:52 GMT
#158
On December 16 2011 08:09 ladyumbra wrote:
I need to go over those replays, all I remember of TL open is terrans abusing the ever loving heck out of the ledges on burning altar.


The first thing I thought playing practice games on that map is:

Fucking tank drop on that ledge above third.
Throw on your favorite jacket and you're good to roll. Stroll through the trees and let your miseries go.
MtlGuitarist97
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States1539 Posts
December 16 2011 00:59 GMT
#159
Ohana for the win! Good luck IronMan, buddy! I wish you the best of luck!
phathom321
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States1730 Posts
December 16 2011 01:06 GMT
#160
Gogo Cloud Kingdom! :D
"Dying in the line of duty is heroic, but dying while unemployed is just stupid." -L
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 23m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
BeSt 871
Hyuk 532
soO 429
Mini 191
ZerO 121
Killer 59
Shinee 50
Mind 41
Mong 28
Bale 27
[ Show more ]
PianO 24
ZergMaN 13
HiyA 12
Terrorterran 11
yabsab 10
Dota 2
XaKoH 748
XcaliburYe335
League of Legends
JimRising 447
Counter-Strike
byalli523
Other Games
olofmeister852
ceh9633
Happy339
crisheroes188
Livibee182
Mew2King63
ArmadaUGS58
ZerO(Twitch)8
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick584
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH384
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2278
League of Legends
• Rush1227
• Jankos1223
• Stunt418
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
1h 23m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
2h 23m
Monday Night Weeklies
7h 23m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 1h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 1h
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 15h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.