• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 02:47
CEST 08:47
KST 15:47
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)64Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Sagi.gg Launcher Released an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8555 users

North America Season 4 GM Ladder Errors - Page 3

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 16 17 18 Next All
Antisocialmunky
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States5913 Posts
November 01 2011 19:37 GMT
#41
On November 02 2011 04:03 FairForever wrote:
Has anyone noticed how messed up the ladder is? It seems to have taken mid-masters players while excluding some huge names (eg. dde, Idra, Kiwikaki, OstojiY... all of them are known as ladder beasts in terms of being near the top).

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/ladder/grandmaster

Some standard names there (eg. oGsVines, Sheth) but then you have some ppl such as this guy...

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/profile/2131911/1/somefeelrain/

Am I imagining things? Or is there a potential issue?

So far no resolution has been reached, I know a few people who are clearly frustrated that they weren't included in the GM league even though they definitely have the results/MMR to be there (strong > 50% win rate this season + GM last season).


It sounds like you're glasses raining on his parade.

Did Artosis finally make GM?
[゚n゚] SSSSssssssSSsss ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Marine/Raven Guide:http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=163605
bopoznpvt
Profile Joined January 2011
United States51 Posts
November 01 2011 19:38 GMT
#42
Wow, so many bad players in GM. I wish I was awake when it was open, I could have gotten a spot...
There is no cow level.
name_lock
Profile Joined January 2010
Canada30 Posts
November 01 2011 19:38 GMT
#43
i'm a 0-1 gm

i played my first game of the season and lost my placement and it gave me gm. Last season i had a high mmr + a reasonable amount of points (1700) though. I just didn't play any games after reset until today.
StrifeCro
Profile Joined April 2010
United States69 Posts
November 01 2011 19:39 GMT
#44
On November 02 2011 04:33 FairForever wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 02 2011 04:31 EdSlyB wrote:
I don't why people get so worried about who's or who's not in GM. I don't see the 'pros' going: "This is madness!! BS Bnet system!!!"

They don't give a shit about if they are in GM or not because its not the ladder that gives players the ultimate skill indicator. Many of the pros have smurfs for laddering and such. Get over thatbecause at the end ladder has little relevance in measuring a player's skill.


StrifeCro is here.

Attero (I believe) has complained. Pokebunny also commented on another thread (but I guess he's busy laddering now).

So there are some pros. I doubt players like Idra care, but for those middle-of-the-road pros, a GM rank can add a lot more credibility (seeing as there are a lot of pros who don't even have the MMR to be in the GM league).


I don't care that much about getting GM, just curious about the mathematical system they used lol. kinda like a puzzle. But it is a negative sum game when 2 high players played each other last season. I lost like 20 points for losing to DDE rank 1 once and I'm sure he didn't gain 20, probably 4-5, which would explain the MMR cap. Example if our MMR is both capped at 1200, but I'm at 1500 points hes at 1650 or something then if we played each other forever, we would slowly both drop down to 1200 if we went 50/50.
FairForever
Profile Joined February 2011
Canada2392 Posts
November 01 2011 19:39 GMT
#45
On November 02 2011 04:35 StrifeCro wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 02 2011 04:31 Excalibur_Z wrote:
On November 02 2011 04:25 StrifeCro wrote:
On November 02 2011 04:19 Holcan wrote:
On November 02 2011 04:12 StrifeCro wrote:
its definitely glitched. GM ladder has never filled up b4 people even wake up in the morning with all 200 slots. there have to be some people who slept longer than that and had top 200 MMR. I mean dde was rank 1 last season with 6/1 ratio or something and isn't there lol.

edit : just seems to have took the first 200 people who had decently high mmrs that played a game lol

Well, I think the cap for MMR is reached, which would be the GM league. Plenty of players are able to create a new account and artificially inflate their MMR over their old account. Players are finally realizing that its more beneficial to get a smurf, with a clean slate MMR to GM, rather than pushing their stabilized MMR account into GM.

So, what I am saying is, the intelligence of people to get new accounts with blank MMR, and the MMR cap which has already been reached by more than 200 people (probably around 400) all have an equal shot for GM. This just goes to show that Ascends GM show should be based of quality players, rather than who actually is in GM at any given time.


Where did you read that there was an MMR cap? That doesn't really make sense at all.


David Kim allegedly told some pro players in private conversations that an MMR cap exists. I can see this being true because points get harder and harder to earn the higher up in GM you get, which means your MMR has peaked (edit: and you're also playing against other people with peaked MMRs) but your points continue to rise above it.

As for this particular GM league issue, it does appear to be a bug of some kind. You can only get promoted after a win, and GM league requires a promotion, not initial placement, and yet there are players with 0-1 records in GM which should be impossible.


Probably something to do with people all at the MMR cap then, because It would explain lasts seasons behavior of why people all got very low points per win after a certain point and it never fixed itself like it does usually when peoples MMR increased again. I'm guessing the cap is pretty low and that there are way more than 200 people at it so it just became a race of who could wake up earliest lol. Don't know how people got promoted still with 0-1, maybe that is another change they made separately, where losses could give promotions because there's no inherent reason why only wins should promote you to GM, only for the other 5 ladders.


I doubt it. This would only happen if there were like 600 - 800 people at the MMR cap, which seems unbelievable to me.

Going back... I can definitely see how this might happen. I ran into top pros quite a bit last season (and I am definitely nowhere near their skill level). But I'm pretty sure I wasn't hitting MMR cap (I was about top 300 Masters in NA, so about Top 500 NA) because I still tended to play more with people in my range (as opposed to some top pros).
TheSwamp
Profile Joined November 2010
United States1497 Posts
November 01 2011 19:39 GMT
#46
The best part about this is all the posts on reddit bragging about GM. Though, in the end it is just the ladder and shouldn't be taken seriously anyway. The only benefit is getting invited to Blizzard tournaments. Unless they invite some random over Idra or whoever, I Don't see it being a problem.
MLG: How is your Protoss? Idra: I make Blink Stalkers, so really, really good.
pt
Profile Joined November 2010
United States813 Posts
November 01 2011 19:40 GMT
#47
You can't judge a person's skill by looking at points... They mean nothing. How do you know that he isn't as good as any other top gm player?
EG-TL!
FairForever
Profile Joined February 2011
Canada2392 Posts
November 01 2011 19:41 GMT
#48
On November 02 2011 04:39 StrifeCro wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 02 2011 04:33 FairForever wrote:
On November 02 2011 04:31 EdSlyB wrote:
I don't why people get so worried about who's or who's not in GM. I don't see the 'pros' going: "This is madness!! BS Bnet system!!!"

They don't give a shit about if they are in GM or not because its not the ladder that gives players the ultimate skill indicator. Many of the pros have smurfs for laddering and such. Get over thatbecause at the end ladder has little relevance in measuring a player's skill.


StrifeCro is here.

Attero (I believe) has complained. Pokebunny also commented on another thread (but I guess he's busy laddering now).

So there are some pros. I doubt players like Idra care, but for those middle-of-the-road pros, a GM rank can add a lot more credibility (seeing as there are a lot of pros who don't even have the MMR to be in the GM league).


I don't care that much about getting GM, just curious about the mathematical system they used lol. kinda like a puzzle. But it is a negative sum game when 2 high players played each other last season. I lost like 20 points for losing to DDE rank 1 once and I'm sure he didn't gain 20, probably 4-5, which would explain the MMR cap. Example if our MMR is both capped at 1200, but I'm at 1500 points hes at 1650 or something then if we played each other forever, we would slowly both drop down to 1200 if we went 50/50.


That's just ridiculous then, because this MMR cap works contrary to the bonus pool.

It's not a huge deal but it is something that should be fixed. It would probably be better if Blizzard simply allowed players near the top of the MMR chain to have a wider range of possible opponents as opposed to capping it.
ROOTdrewbie
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada1392 Posts
November 01 2011 19:41 GMT
#49
wow I should've had a spot reserved in GM, but I didn't play this morning and now I miss out ? lol good work blizzard
www.root-gaming.com
floor exercise
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
Canada5847 Posts
November 01 2011 19:45 GMT
#50
On November 02 2011 04:39 TheSwamp wrote:
The best part about this is all the posts on reddit bragging about GM. Though, in the end it is just the ladder and shouldn't be taken seriously anyway. The only benefit is getting invited to Blizzard tournaments. Unless they invite some random over Idra or whoever, I Don't see it being a problem.

I noticed that too, all the "my hard work finally paid off!" but it's actually completely broken hahaha
Gool
Profile Joined August 2010
Argentina204 Posts
November 01 2011 19:47 GMT
#51
This is a joke, there's people in that i beat 2 or 3 times yesterday (been matched as "Teams even" and even me being "slightly favored" and just because i dont wake up the second the season starts i miss out?

Lol.
PR4Y
Profile Joined November 2010
United States260 Posts
November 01 2011 19:47 GMT
#52
On November 02 2011 04:41 coL.drewbie wrote:
wow I should've had a spot reserved in GM, but I didn't play this morning and now I miss out ? lol good work blizzard



^ This... I feel sorry for the hardworking pro's who deserve to be GM and deserve the chance to be shown off to the NA Ladder system as the TRUE top 200 players in NA. If nothing is fixed, this problem is only going to get worse as we will have players artificially boosting their MMR at the end of a ladder season then camping out on reset day to be the first few lucky players that win the GM lottery.


GM Should be based on tournament / ELO and not on the luck of pulling a winning lottery ticket.
I'm your average Brotoss brother, weilding my brommortal, brothership, brolossus, bro ray, broenix... BROTHERHOOD OF BROTOSS
VPFaith
Profile Joined April 2011
United States261 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-01 19:49:39
November 01 2011 19:49 GMT
#53
On November 02 2011 04:41 coL.drewbie wrote:
wow I should've had a spot reserved in GM, but I didn't play this morning and now I miss out ? lol good work blizzard


You guys need to calm down hehe ^__^ If players that did not deserve Grandmaster spots, they will continue to lose a lot of games and will discourage them to ladder anyways. ^^ . at any rate, good luck to all players who made GM today ^___^
Never Give Up
Badfatpanda
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States9719 Posts
November 01 2011 19:50 GMT
#54
i just got home forgot it was today t.t, hopefully spots will open midseason and since the seasons are so short it doesn't matter really
Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy. -Beethoven | Mech isn't a build, it's a way of life. -MajOr | Charlie.Sheen: "What is sarcastic, kids who have no courage to fight?" | #TerranPride #yolo #swag -Naama after 2-0'ing MC at HSC VI
desRow
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Canada2654 Posts
November 01 2011 19:51 GMT
#55
On November 02 2011 04:08 Yip12343 wrote:
desrow has 2 accounts in top 200 lol.

And some of these i dont even know.. but if you have heard idra,minigun etc, they all say that GM on NA means nothing, so they're not worried.


my VTdesRow account was in top10 of master league last season (top10 overall) my desrow account was at 62% before reset. My MMR's are high enough to be in GM. Just like my EU account was facing top50 GM on EU at 53%winratio will probably get GM tomorrow as well.
http://twitch.tv/desrowfighting http://twitter.com/desrowfighting http://facebook.com/desrowfighting
parkLife
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada125 Posts
November 01 2011 19:51 GMT
#56
It's just so funny to compare the Top200 people on ladder as of last night, and people who are currently in GM.
There's so much discrepancy~
and now we can't say CombatEX is a Grand Master level cheeser anymore
In SC1, ZvZ was Rock-Paper-Scissors... unless JaeDong was playing, then it was Rock-Paper-Scissors-JD, and JD beats all of them.
Virtuous
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States111 Posts
November 01 2011 19:52 GMT
#57
On November 02 2011 04:41 coL.drewbie wrote:
wow I should've had a spot reserved in GM, but I didn't play this morning and now I miss out ? lol good work blizzard


GM is only a league... it is kinda sad that after three seasons of GM that blizzard could find a way to mess up this season... However... doesn't change the fact that pros are still pros and are much better than these guys in GM.. it could of been much much worse...
Noktix
Profile Joined May 2011
United States492 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-01 19:53:36
November 01 2011 19:53 GMT
#58
GM is certainly fucked up right now, Blizzard messed something about the MMR's up. Too bad for those who were trying to get into GM, or those who got really excited when they were placed in GM.
Keyz1
Profile Joined March 2011
Canada94 Posts
November 01 2011 19:53 GMT
#59
Countless players in the top 100 of Grandmaster last season didn't even get put into the whole top 200 Grandmaster this season. That's a joke. They should guarantee Grandmaster spots in the next season based on your last season's performance (for ex. top 50 get reserved slots next time).

I know for a fact ostogijy, lalush, idra, and slush are one of the best zerg players out there.

Even CombatEX and PiQLiQ as protoss played more games than anybody else, had a decent win ratio and still got nothing in return.

Pretty sure there's more than 200 players out there with a similar MMR and the first 200 to login got promoted. Everyone knows who the best players are anyway, it's not like it matters, but it's still a very flawed system.

When you watch a player like LiquidHerO go 50 and 3 as rank 1 master and wonder why he's not in Grandmaster because it's locked, it makes you laugh.
desRow
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Canada2654 Posts
November 01 2011 19:53 GMT
#60
On November 02 2011 04:19 Holcan wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 02 2011 04:12 StrifeCro wrote:
its definitely glitched. GM ladder has never filled up b4 people even wake up in the morning with all 200 slots. there have to be some people who slept longer than that and had top 200 MMR. I mean dde was rank 1 last season with 6/1 ratio or something and isn't there lol.

edit : just seems to have took the first 200 people who had decently high mmrs that played a game lol

Well, I think the cap for MMR is reached, which would be the GM league. Plenty of players are able to create a new account and artificially inflate their MMR over their old account. Players are finally realizing that its more beneficial to get a smurf, with a clean slate MMR to GM, rather than pushing their stabilized MMR account into GM.

So, what I am saying is, the intelligence of people to get new accounts with blank MMR, and the MMR cap which has already been reached by more than 200 people (probably around 400) all have an equal shot for GM. This just goes to show that Ascends GM show should be based of quality players, rather than who actually is in GM at any given time.

That's exactly what I was thinking, we are at the point where MMR is capped blizzard would need to reset it to have a meaningful GM league.
http://twitch.tv/desrowfighting http://twitter.com/desrowfighting http://facebook.com/desrowfighting
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 16 17 18 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 13m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
WinterStarcraft769
StarCraft: Brood War
Horang2 735
Stork 308
ggaemo 303
Leta 246
PianO 82
Hyuk 33
ZergMaN 30
yabsab 20
Bale 17
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm176
League of Legends
JimRising 353
Reynor61
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King222
Westballz43
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor712
Other Games
summit1g9947
C9.Mang0269
PiGStarcraft164
Sick148
ArmadaUGS59
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick618
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream144
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 16
• Letter147
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2298
League of Legends
• Lourlo1356
• Stunt487
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
3h 13m
Online Event
4h 13m
FEL
9h 13m
AI Arena Tournament
10h 13m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
12h 13m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 3h
INu's Battles
1d 5h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 12h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 12h
Replay Cast
1d 17h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.