• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:29
CEST 05:29
KST 12:29
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)64Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Sagi.gg Launcher Released an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot Bot on ladder Data analysis on 8 million games
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9423 users

GSL Needs More Foreign Players - PlayXP article - Page 2

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 Next All
Roggay
Profile Joined April 2010
Switzerland6320 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-17 18:58:36
May 17 2011 18:57 GMT
#21
I'm not particularly excited about the whole GSL exchange program as many top foreigners are not even willing to go. Everything has been said in the SoTG, code A is incredibly hard and not rewarding at all. I really think that the korean scene is suffering from a lack of tournaments holder atm.
Mithriel
Profile Joined November 2010
Netherlands2969 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-17 18:58:49
May 17 2011 18:58 GMT
#22
Amazing article, and amazing that the writer acknowledges they could very well use the global support of everyone. Just look how big starcraft 2 is and how much it can still grow.

I myself am looking forward to the new foreigners competing in GSL, SaSe and whoever does well at MLG!!!

I do however hope, that with the announced format changes, code A changes. At the moment staying in code A is just not worth it. Especially not because there are very little to no other tournaments they could compete in (not sure if they have weekly cups and occasional offline events in korea, like europe has for example). I just hope the best of the best of foreigners will go to korea and they won't give up their spot and someone less good eventually takes their spot.
There is no shame in defeat so long as the spirit is unconquered. | Cheering for Maru, Innovation and MMA!
udgnim
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States8024 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-17 19:20:37
May 17 2011 18:58 GMT
#23
biggest thing

They were planning to increase the amount of time spent on GSTL and to encourage more foreign players to come and compete.


YEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

E-Sports is competitive video gaming with a spectator fan base. Do not take the word "Sports" literally.
LambtrOn
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States671 Posts
May 17 2011 19:00 GMT
#24
On May 18 2011 03:49 dc302 wrote:
Personally I don't really mind not seeing foreigners in the GSL...but that's probably just me.

Right there with you. Sure, it'd be awesome to see some foreigner players in the booths, but I'm mainly interested in the quality of the games, and generally, the Koreans provide the best games. The GSL is really the only tournament to watch the Koreans play, whereas there are a plethora of tournaments for foreigners to play in. I think GOM is putting too much weight into getting foreigners playing in GSL when their system just doesn't fit a foreigner's schedule very well.
Irrelevant
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States2364 Posts
May 17 2011 19:02 GMT
#25
I want to see the best players play, I don't give a shit which country they are from as long as they are the most skilled and right now GSL already has the most skilled and I would hate to see someone of higher skill displaced from the GSL just so a foreigner can play without qualifying simple because he is a foreigner.
dubRa
Profile Joined December 2008
2165 Posts
May 17 2011 19:04 GMT
#26
I feel like Blizzard separating the NA, EU, KR ladder and the lag between the servers is really hurting sc2. Just like Geoff said on SOTG, if you go to Korea you are cut off from the rest of the world.
NuKedUFirst
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Canada3139 Posts
May 17 2011 19:07 GMT
#27
Really well-translated and written, IMO Korea needs more Sc2 leagues outside of GSL, One tournament of Code A is nothing, GJ you went through hell, here's 1000$.
FrostedMiniWeet wrote: I like winning because it validates all the bloody time I waste playing SC2.
leviathan20
Profile Joined April 2010
United Kingdom193 Posts
May 17 2011 19:11 GMT
#28
On May 18 2011 04:02 Irrelevant wrote:
I want to see the best players play, I don't give a shit which country they are from as long as they are the most skilled and right now GSL already has the most skilled and I would hate to see someone of higher skill displaced from the GSL just so a foreigner can play without qualifying simple because he is a foreigner.


I agree but see this from the other direction also - I want to see the best players play against each other. In that mind, who is to say that the current Korean Code A players are better than all the foreigners?

This exchange is giving a chance to the foreign players to enter GSL, which previously was very difficult for them to get into thanks to the financial outlay of getting there plus the qualification process. We might finally get to see the best players play against each other thanks to this exchange.
"We better get that boy a waffle NOW or he gon' DIE!"
Zeroxk
Profile Joined October 2010
Norway1244 Posts
May 17 2011 19:13 GMT
#29
As has been mentioned before there aren't a lot of tournaments outside of GSL in Korea, but what can Gretech do about it? They are one single company, they don't have infinite money or resources.
Duravi
Profile Joined September 2010
United States1205 Posts
May 17 2011 19:15 GMT
#30
As has been mentioned before there aren't a lot of tournaments outside of GSL in Korea, but what can Gretech do about it? They are one single company, they don't have infinite money or resources.


As far as I understand it (and someone correct me if/where I'm wrong because I'm not sure about this at all) Gretech has sole rights to broadcast SC2 in Korea atm, which kills any reasonable chance of other large tournaments in Korea.
aDd3z
Profile Joined March 2011
Germany885 Posts
May 17 2011 19:16 GMT
#31
more GSTL=awesome
thanks for translation!
Cj Entus | Effort | Prime | MarineKing | mouz | HasuObs
AXygnus
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Portugal1008 Posts
May 17 2011 19:19 GMT
#32
Code A just isn't worth it, that's the main problem. Since you need to play in it to get to the top league (get Ro8, if I'm not mistaken?), and the prize pool is so small...
"To create, to recreate. To create, to recreate. Down to the last seed, I stand with a dark stare. Still silent. Still frighteningly silent."
Wolf
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Korea (South)3290 Posts
May 17 2011 19:20 GMT
#33
Anyone ever think of the idea of having regional offline qualifiers for Code A? It would make Koreans annoyed because they would lose spots, but it would give foreigners some incentive to try to qualify since they wouldn't have to travel as far. I don't think it's a good system, but it might be one solution.
Commentatorhttp://twitter.com/proxywolf
TL+ Member
ComaDose
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Canada10357 Posts
May 17 2011 19:20 GMT
#34
woot esports!!1
woot GSTL!
I'd like to see more foreigners there.
The winner of the MLG is not going to be disappointingly rofl stomped.
Its awesome to vote for the foreign guy in the booth. The quality of games is not going to significantly change.
except of course for consistently improving!
BW pros training sc2 is like kiss making a dub step album.
CapnCDaWg
Profile Joined September 2010
United States179 Posts
May 17 2011 19:26 GMT
#35
Such a good read, I can't wait to see the future of GSL. I do agree with those that think Code A might be the problem though.
Batch
Profile Joined May 2010
Sweden692 Posts
May 17 2011 19:31 GMT
#36
On May 18 2011 04:04 dubRa wrote:
I feel like Blizzard separating the NA, EU, KR ladder and the lag between the servers is really hurting sc2. Just like Geoff said on SOTG, if you go to Korea you are cut off from the rest of the world.

Blizzard can't do much to remove or lower the lag. If they let NA, EU and KR players ladder with each other then then some games would be played with low latency while other suffered from lag. The current solution with different ladders for each region at least make the latency consistent.

I agree that GSL need more foreigners. Because of the number of big tournaments running there are a lot of good games being played. In the beginning I followed almost all the games in each tournaments but that is not possible anymore. Nowdays I almost only follow the games where swedes or big names play in. The last GSL I bought the subscription before the tournament started but the only games I watched was the ones played by Huk and Jinro, and the finals. If no foreigners would have played in GSL I don't know if I would have bothered to buy the subscription at all.
Bear4188
Profile Joined March 2010
United States1797 Posts
May 17 2011 19:32 GMT
#37
On May 18 2011 04:13 Zeroxk wrote:
As has been mentioned before there aren't a lot of tournaments outside of GSL in Korea, but what can Gretech do about it? They are one single company, they don't have infinite money or resources.


They hold the rights monopoly that prevents other tournaments from being held. Generally there are only small tournaments held in the short gap between GSL seasons.
"I learned very early the difference between knowing the name of something and knowing something." - R. Feynman
busbarn
Profile Joined August 2010
Sweden984 Posts
May 17 2011 19:35 GMT
#38
imagine seeing EG/Liquid/dignitas/mouz in GSTL

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


It's also nice to see koreans appreciate our support for their players :-)
dp
Profile Joined August 2003
United States234 Posts
May 17 2011 19:35 GMT
#39
People keep saying it isn't worth it.. You do realize this is an all expense paid trip for a month right? I would say that is a prize in itself. Koreans have been doing decently well in online tournaments, so this shouldn't completely negate these players from playing in them, only give them a slight disadvantage as the koreans currently have to live with.

If people can't up and leave their real life obligations, I understand that. That is perfectly reasonable. But to say you are financially limited from a one month vacation is just a bs story. You can still coach. You can stream. You can still play in online tournaments. You are on an international stage, so I would assume that is a more attractive sponsorship than the average player can offer.

Honest truth is, I think international players don't feel the confidence to WIN, but only 'compete' in the GSL. I agree, being an average player outside of korean will earn you more. So tell it like it is.
:o
Kammalleri
Profile Joined November 2010
Canada613 Posts
May 17 2011 19:36 GMT
#40
I wouldn't be all that surprised if the players that goes to Korea have success that a pro team will just sign them.

Let's say Kiwikaki wins MLG, gets code decides to move and gets top 16 for exemple, it would be surprising if he was be left on his own trying to survive in Korea. He would be a good pick up for oGs-Liquid or any team, it's not everyday that you can just sign a player that already plays in Code S.

That said it's not because you get seeded in Code S that it will be easy to stay there or even win a round or two in Code A for any foreigner,

There's no reason we shouldn't be excited to see more foreigner in the GSL tho.
Prev 1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
The PiG Daily
08:00
Best Games of SC
BASILISK vs T1
Maru vs Clem
Serral vs herO
Clem vs SHIN
PiGStarcraft470
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
07:00
Masters Cup #151: Group B
davetesta115
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
WinterStarcraft485
PiGStarcraft461
RuFF_SC2 199
SpeCial 47
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 1148
Hyuk 50
Bale 29
Noble 23
Icarus 8
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm189
Counter-Strike
taco 606
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox723
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor645
Other Games
summit1g9848
Coldzera 817
JimRising 502
C9.Mang0303
Sick98
ViBE71
ArmadaUGS38
Liquid`Ken7
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick741
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream68
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 108
• Letter147
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo765
• Stunt250
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
6h 31m
Online Event
7h 31m
FEL
12h 31m
AI Arena Tournament
13h 31m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
15h 31m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 6h
INu's Battles
1d 8h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 15h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 15h
Replay Cast
1d 20h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.