• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:10
CEST 15:10
KST 22:10
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)55Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8884 users

Preparing to cast MLG Dallas

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 Next All
itmeJP
Profile Joined February 2010
United States1101 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-29 03:30:37
March 20 2011 03:31 GMT
#1
[image loading]
Kennigit is the cutest Canadian I know


Can't do these anymore, too busy and need to save voice for this weekend! Thanks to everyone who helped out over the past week, wish I could of done more!

In preparation for the upcoming MLG Dallas SC2 LAN, I'm going to be doing a cast a day. Typically I do this before events and never post them anywhere, but I figured what better way to get constructive feedback than to show it to the people who will probably be watching MLG Dallas live that weekend.

Each day I will be playing five games with a specific race (since I play random) and then casting a match-up which I struggled with or had questions/thoughts about.

I'll be spoilering the videos for each day below. You can also find the playlist link >>HERE<< which I'll update everyday with the new cast.

Please post constructive feedback only please, I'm sure the mods will be worried about this to begin with. I also don't want this to turn into a caster war where someone posts thoughts about someone else's casting.

Also on the YouTube video page for each day, I'll be posting my own comments on the cast after its settled for awhile and I've had a chance for it to leave my brain so I can be objective.

Thanks everyone and please feel free to rip me apart, I has no feelings! 8D

Day 8 + Show Spoiler +

Day 7 + Show Spoiler +

Day 6 + Show Spoiler +

Day 5 + Show Spoiler +

Day 4 + Show Spoiler +

Day 3 + Show Spoiler +

Day 2 + Show Spoiler +

Day 1 + Show Spoiler +
Twitter.com/itmeJP -- Twitch.tv/itmeJP -- YouTube.com/itmeJP
-Kyo-
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Japan1927 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-20 04:36:02
March 20 2011 03:33 GMT
#2
JP undergoing his some Rocky Training, all we need now is his montages :D Enjoy your stuff and can't wait for MLG!
Anime is cuter than you. Legacy of the Void GM Protoss Gameplay: twitch.tv/kyo7763 youtube.com/user/KyoStarcraft/
TL+ Member
Itzeddiieee
Profile Joined May 2010
Korea (South)787 Posts
March 20 2011 03:34 GMT
#3
I can't wait for MLG

Good luck with your preparation!
Bagi
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany6799 Posts
March 20 2011 03:35 GMT
#4
~3.4k masters as random? Damn JP, you baller!

Good caster too, keep it up.
DarkPlasmaBall
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States46478 Posts
March 20 2011 03:35 GMT
#5
Awesome idea JP! Good luck! Looking forward to seeing your results and watching your casts
"There is nothing more satisfying than looking at a crowd of people and helping them get what I love." ~Day[9] Daily #100
Jombozeus
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
China1014 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-20 03:39:15
March 20 2011 03:38 GMT
#6
Damn JP, 3.4k random!

You're taking this seriously

Also, showmatch between JP and day9 please
emperorchampion
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Canada9496 Posts
March 20 2011 03:40 GMT
#7
When are we going to see you playing in MLG? :p

Awesome stuff!
TRUEESPORTS || your days as a respected member of team liquid are over
garlicface
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada4196 Posts
March 20 2011 03:46 GMT
#8
Good luck JP. Those 2 casts were pretty good, and you already improved in tone between the first and the second.

Good stuff!
#TeamBuLba
Suxces
Profile Joined September 2010
Germany103 Posts
March 20 2011 03:46 GMT
#9
3,4k masters?

proof or didn't happen
oursblanc
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada1450 Posts
March 20 2011 03:54 GMT
#10
You're too awesome, JP.
An oasis of horror in a desert of boredom!
L3g3nd_
Profile Joined July 2010
New Zealand10461 Posts
March 20 2011 03:58 GMT
#11
nice! always love your casting, the more conent the better
https://twitter.com/#!/IrisAnother
MagnusHyperion
Profile Joined August 2010
United States288 Posts
March 20 2011 04:01 GMT
#12
Wow! JP, I am impressed! Massive kudos to you for this! I, personally, appreciate this work. You are a true professional! Keep up the good work
UC Davis Fighting!!! Support CSL visit their webpage and watch their streams!
proxY_
Profile Joined July 2010
United States1561 Posts
March 20 2011 04:02 GMT
#13
You've always just lacked enthusiam to me, way too monotone. Listening to those casts it sounds like you've improved on that. Your game knowledge is fine.

A criticism I have of casters in general (it's been awhile since I've listen to you co-cast with someone so idk if this specifically applies to you, sorry to get a bit off topic) is that they often don't work off each other and just take turns talking without any meaningful interaction going back and forth (Husky is really bad about that). If you're co-casting with Day9 try to be the Tasteless to his Artosis. Ask him about strategy and try to do more play by play and let Day9 do his thing. Rotterdam did it brilliantly at IEM and djwheat does it really well when he casts with day9 too.
Durn
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Canada360 Posts
March 20 2011 04:03 GMT
#14
Huge fan of everything you do, JP. <3

If I had one complaint (and I know this will likely change at live events, but its cool to have on youtube casts as well) is to let yourself be excited about things. Like the 6pool and the snap decision not to turn his SCVs around, but rather to float away. That is pretty big excitement levels to me, and I generally find my excitement levels matching the casters.

And you didn't really commit this issue, but please don't fall prey to the "I don't like this..." or "I don't agree with this..." style of casting.
"Even if I lose 100 games, that's 100 different arrows pointing me in the wrong direction." - Sean Day[9] Plott
Feijichang
Profile Joined April 2010
China167 Posts
March 20 2011 04:18 GMT
#15
Ever since MLG I've honestly felt that as far as casting goes outside of the GSL/Tastosis, you have been in the top tier of caster combinations. Day9 + DjWheat or yourself (and I actually quite liked Rotterdam at IEM) are the best combination I could ask for in MLG(pray for in NASL). You and Wheat supplemented your lack of game knowledge at the time with brilliant play off of Sean and covering play by play and being mature enough to know when and when not to put on the hype-voice. You knew how to fill time during problems, talk during breaks... its been fantastic.

I feel that arguments for a caster being "good" at the game don't really matter as much as having personality as a caster. A bit of charisma, a good clear speaking voice, and some professionalism are far more appreciated than a lot of what I hear from most streamed tournaments I tune into that are casted by other "Pro players" who obviously lack enough social skill to control the tone of their voice.

My best example, is the GCPL that has been being casted by Gretorp and Sheth. Listening to them feels very amateurish, almost as if I'm watching a schools morning news. Sure they have a lot of fans, and they're arguable pro-gamers, but they lack a sort of maturity and professionalism in their speech. I tire of hearing Skype alerts, knowing if one of them needs to use the restroom, really odd moments of unwarranted excitement or periods of strange whispery voices.
Suxces
Profile Joined September 2010
Germany103 Posts
March 20 2011 06:37 GMT
#16
JP what's the nickname of your 3,4k masters account?
Synche
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1345 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-20 07:43:56
March 20 2011 06:58 GMT
#17
Love all the content you put out JP! Hope things go well in Dallas

Edit: Some actual feedback

Giving your opinion about plays is good. You're clearly a baller now as far as that goes, but I think the above person had it right the "I agree with this, I don't agree with that" is way too common and doesn't have enough oomph to back it up.

Ideally you'd do it like Artosis. Explain what should be done. I was watching the GSL finals and he was explaining the 4-gate vs. spinecrawlers in the first game. He explained why you needed the second one, and he was right on. Obviously it's not always possible to do it like this, but that's fine. Just add analysis with depth, not just "I agree" explain why you agree, and the more in depth the better. I'm one of those guys that loves picking up tidbits from casters, and I think most of TL is the same way, and if you're 3.4+ masters you definately have some information to share.

The second bit of advice is another rehash of an above post. Excitement is infectious, when we're all nerds fooling around on the internet. Allow yourself to get excited. You don't need to be Day9 or crazy loud or false (false excitement might be worse than no excitement), but the monotone voice casting is really what separates the "pro player casting a game" from the true pro casters. And the best of the best can call up that excitement whenever they need it.

Again going to the GSL finals, Tastosis did a great job putting a ton of excitement and humor to some really mediocre games. Not that they weren't supremely executed, but as far as a spectator's point of view they weren't the best games to watch. But they absolutely got every inch of enterainment value out of them. I think you definately are hurt by the lack of a co-caster in these practice sessions but it's something you can work on solo, too, maybe.

I'm not naturally funny, so I understand how difficult it can be to do that. But playing off your other caster can be great here. If there's a way to inject some of the general awesomeness of the humor of State of the Game while keeping the cast respectful and professional, it would really improve the viewing experience.

I feel like this is stuff you already know, but I hope at least by stating it you might be able to focus on it. It's really the only weakness of your casting at all, you're extremely good!
Uncultured
Profile Joined September 2010
United States1340 Posts
March 20 2011 07:04 GMT
#18
<3<3<3 JP. You're a damn hero man. You've progressed a lot as a caster, and I thought you were good to begin with.
Don't you rage when you lose too? -FruitDealer
Irave
Profile Joined October 2010
United States9965 Posts
March 20 2011 07:04 GMT
#19
I believe you will do well, the ones so far have been pretty good. You should just start yelling frequently whenever you see something exciting, maybe even have Incontrol teach you an accent.
SilverJohnny
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States885 Posts
March 20 2011 07:52 GMT
#20
Some notes while watching the first two games

I understand its hard when just watching by yourself to be super excited about everything and to yell, but I hope that when you do it live you show quite a bit more enthusiasm, especially if its a 6pool.

Don't say things like "Well there's nothing really to analyze here" - you could talk about what followups a player might do, what they might be going for with their build, etc etc. No need to be 100% analytical, you can goof around some as well, especially if you'll be casting with Day.

Your game knowledge and explanations are spot on, I wouldn't worry about that too much, instead maybe add a little color to the commentating (your voice is a bit monotonic, which doesn't bother me too much but some people might be put off by it.

Overall, solid casting, can't wait to hear it live at MLG dallas!
also i think you should be able to combine like 5 archons to make a really really shitty oliver stone film - Keanu_Reaver, bw balance genius
1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 3
SteadfastSC127
EnkiAlexander 11
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech136
SteadfastSC 127
Rex 81
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 50771
Bisu 2259
Horang2 1301
Hyuk 615
BeSt 480
EffOrt 428
Mini 398
Light 354
Soma 329
Larva 287
[ Show more ]
ZerO 185
Shuttle 152
Rush 138
Mong 93
Leta 89
Barracks 83
Snow 69
Pusan 63
Sea.KH 59
ToSsGirL 50
Mind 47
Aegong 33
Yoon 30
JYJ 28
Sexy 27
Bale 20
sorry 19
Terrorterran 13
Noble 10
ajuk12(nOOB) 9
Icarus 8
Rock 4
Dota 2
Gorgc4808
XaKoH 401
Counter-Strike
Fnx 719
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes1431
Khaldor1190
Lowko430
Other Games
gofns35645
singsing2086
olofmeister1294
B2W.Neo445
hiko402
Livibee198
Beastyqt167
Liquid`VortiX90
Mew2King75
ZerO(Twitch)15
djWHEAT14
ArmadaUGS0
Organizations
StarCraft 2
IntoTheiNu 258
ComeBackTV 198
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream164
StarCraft 2
TaKeTV 124
Other Games
BasetradeTV52
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 12
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 22
• FirePhoenix6
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
OSC
8h 50m
CranKy Ducklings
20h 50m
Online Event
21h 50m
FEL
1d 2h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 3h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 5h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 20h
INu's Battles
1d 22h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.