• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:59
CEST 21:59
KST 04:59
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon110
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8302 users

Real names in forums canceled - Page 14

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 12 13 14 15 16 21 Next All
np.Resuscitate
Profile Joined April 2010
United States60 Posts
July 09 2010 19:03 GMT
#261
Thank God. I assume they realized that Real ID wouldn't make the forums better, it would make them empty.
The Overmind thinks I require more minerals... I would like a loan.
Mulloy
Profile Joined March 2010
United States86 Posts
July 09 2010 19:04 GMT
#262
How would an empty Bnet forum not be better than what's there now? Haha.
I have been known, on occasion, to dapple in fancy hats.
Whole
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States6046 Posts
July 09 2010 19:05 GMT
#263
I'm not surprised by the fact that they stopped it, but more by the fact that they considered it in the first place. I understand that it was to reduce trolling, but they could have thought of an easier solution.
JWD
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States12607 Posts
July 09 2010 19:06 GMT
#264
On July 10 2010 03:59 smileyyy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 10 2010 03:53 JWD wrote:
On July 10 2010 03:51 Arcalious wrote:
I'm not surprised at all. This was a privacy lawsuit waiting to happen.

How? You'd have to opt in to the Real ID-enabled forum, and I'm sure there would be a massive ToS that included an agreement to consent to use of your real name.

ToS != Law. They can write in their ToS whatever they want it does not make it a law =).

Um yes...

but if you agree to let Blizzard do something with your personal information, you cannot then win on a claim against Blizzard for doing that thing.
✌
Sanguinarius
Profile Joined January 2010
United States3427 Posts
July 09 2010 19:09 GMT
#265
Yeah, this was pretty needed. The stalking would be horrible.
Your strength is just an accident arising from the weakness of others -Heart of Darkness
Phail111
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada21 Posts
July 09 2010 19:12 GMT
#266
It's classic blizzard - Overnerf, then tune back slightly and everyone loves you, even though the result is still a nerf.

No one liked the ID system that was in place currently, or going to be in place on release. So they release a statement for the worst ID system to date, and no matter what they do after that we are going to love it.
The shortest distance between 2 points is under construction.
smileyyy
Profile Joined March 2010
Germany1816 Posts
July 09 2010 19:12 GMT
#267
On July 10 2010 04:06 JWD wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 10 2010 03:59 smileyyy wrote:
On July 10 2010 03:53 JWD wrote:
On July 10 2010 03:51 Arcalious wrote:
I'm not surprised at all. This was a privacy lawsuit waiting to happen.

How? You'd have to opt in to the Real ID-enabled forum, and I'm sure there would be a massive ToS that included an agreement to consent to use of your real name.

ToS != Law. They can write in their ToS whatever they want it does not make it a law =).

Um yes...

but if you agree to let Blizzard do something with your personal information, you cannot then win on a claim against Blizzard for doing that thing.

I can agree to it but it does not make the procedure legal. Whether it is in accord with the law is up to a judge to decide in the end :o.
I doubt it would have passed in Germany our politician are on a user privacy train and bash google/facebook etc all day long ^^
Fruitseller: I feel like it's a good strategy[6Pool]. I had a lot of strategies, but I thought about it a lot and decided to 6 pool. Other people told me to 6 pool too
JWD
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States12607 Posts
July 09 2010 19:18 GMT
#268
On July 10 2010 04:12 smileyyy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 10 2010 04:06 JWD wrote:
On July 10 2010 03:59 smileyyy wrote:
On July 10 2010 03:53 JWD wrote:
On July 10 2010 03:51 Arcalious wrote:
I'm not surprised at all. This was a privacy lawsuit waiting to happen.

How? You'd have to opt in to the Real ID-enabled forum, and I'm sure there would be a massive ToS that included an agreement to consent to use of your real name.

ToS != Law. They can write in their ToS whatever they want it does not make it a law =).

Um yes...

but if you agree to let Blizzard do something with your personal information, you cannot then win on a claim against Blizzard for doing that thing.

I can agree to it but it does not make the procedure legal. Whether it is in accord with the law is up to a judge to decide in the end :o.^

Yeah but judges have to apply the law lol, they can't just order a company not to do something because they don't like it.
✌
LegendaryZ
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States1583 Posts
July 09 2010 19:18 GMT
#269
LOL To all the naysayers, bitching, raging and moaning WORKS!
Ababoba
Profile Joined March 2010
Finland11 Posts
July 09 2010 19:20 GMT
#270
On July 10 2010 04:18 JinMaikeul wrote:
LOL To all the naysayers, bitching, raging and moaning WORKS!

Depends on the scale of bitching, raging and moaning. We still aren't getting classic chat-rooms.
FrickenHamster
Profile Joined April 2010
United States40 Posts
July 09 2010 19:21 GMT
#271
I can't help but feel this is a scapegoat for BNET 2.0 problems.
ta2
Profile Joined July 2010
125 Posts
July 09 2010 19:23 GMT
#272
On July 10 2010 04:06 JWD wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 10 2010 03:59 smileyyy wrote:
On July 10 2010 03:53 JWD wrote:
On July 10 2010 03:51 Arcalious wrote:
I'm not surprised at all. This was a privacy lawsuit waiting to happen.

How? You'd have to opt in to the Real ID-enabled forum, and I'm sure there would be a massive ToS that included an agreement to consent to use of your real name.

ToS != Law. They can write in their ToS whatever they want it does not make it a law =).

Um yes...

but if you agree to let Blizzard do something with your personal information, you cannot then win on a claim against Blizzard for doing that thing.

The friends-of-friends having access to your Real ID and that exploit where you were automatically your own friend are lawsuits waiting to happen. I'm sure we haven't heard the last of that.

As for agreeing to ToS, I'm sure there are loopholes whereby Blizzard would not be immune from prosecution. For example, if a child had full access to his own account (maybe he pays with gametime cards etc), and agrees to the ToS - it's not legally binding since a child cannot make a legal contract. If I have a Battle.net account that I haven't logged into since 6 months ago, it gets hacked, the hacker then agrees to the new ToS, and uses the account for spamming.

Dunno which of the above traps they could fall into, but for sure I don't think they had all their bases covered.
LegendaryZ
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States1583 Posts
July 09 2010 19:23 GMT
#273
On July 10 2010 04:20 Ababoba wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 10 2010 04:18 JinMaikeul wrote:
LOL To all the naysayers, bitching, raging and moaning WORKS!

Depends on the scale of bitching, raging and moaning. We still aren't getting classic chat-rooms.


Psshh.. merely a sign that we haven't raged enough about it...
sotmh
Profile Joined May 2010
United States41 Posts
July 09 2010 19:23 GMT
#274
They still plan on tying in-game functionality to Real ID, which is a bad idea. This is a retreat by Blizzard, not a surrender.
CharlieMurphy
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
United States22895 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-09 19:25:52
July 09 2010 19:25 GMT
#275

http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html?topicId=13816839821&sid=1



Hey Listen G, we realized we f00ked up and we ain't doin the real name bullshiz anymo.


Yo but we still wanna make it a betta place cause it straight sucks. We got other new shiz we wanna do. Yo can give or take away props on peeps to regulate dumb niggaz.


Also, we ain't doin the same shiz everywhere, we keepin it separate. We still think facebook is hot nigga! We wanna keep messin with this crap fo a minute tho.

By the way, I wanna say that I was jus tryin to hustle some paper dawg so I'm sorry if I offended you nig nogs. I'm only changin my shiz cause I woulda lost on on more chedda in the long run prolly. Glad you niggaz spoke up, cause if not, I'd be sellin woof tickets all day, word.

Peace Out
Mike Morhaime
CEO & Cofounder
Blizzard Entertainment



..and then I would, ya know, check em'. (Aka SpoR)
ta2
Profile Joined July 2010
125 Posts
July 09 2010 19:26 GMT
#276
On July 10 2010 04:18 JWD wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 10 2010 04:12 smileyyy wrote:
On July 10 2010 04:06 JWD wrote:
On July 10 2010 03:59 smileyyy wrote:
On July 10 2010 03:53 JWD wrote:
On July 10 2010 03:51 Arcalious wrote:
I'm not surprised at all. This was a privacy lawsuit waiting to happen.

How? You'd have to opt in to the Real ID-enabled forum, and I'm sure there would be a massive ToS that included an agreement to consent to use of your real name.

ToS != Law. They can write in their ToS whatever they want it does not make it a law =).

Um yes...

but if you agree to let Blizzard do something with your personal information, you cannot then win on a claim against Blizzard for doing that thing.

I can agree to it but it does not make the procedure legal. Whether it is in accord with the law is up to a judge to decide in the end :o.^

Yeah but judges have to apply the law lol, they can't just order a company not to do something because they don't like it.

Also, Facebook makes you agree to their ToS, but that didn't stop the Canadian govt. ordering Facebook to make changes.
risk.nuke
Profile Joined May 2010
Sweden2825 Posts
July 09 2010 19:26 GMT
#277
Blizzard got dragged back by the balls :D
Neo.G Soulkey, Best, firebathero. // http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/index.php?show_part=31
smileyyy
Profile Joined March 2010
Germany1816 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-09 19:30:41
July 09 2010 19:28 GMT
#278
On July 10 2010 04:18 JWD wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 10 2010 04:12 smileyyy wrote:
On July 10 2010 04:06 JWD wrote:
On July 10 2010 03:59 smileyyy wrote:
On July 10 2010 03:53 JWD wrote:
On July 10 2010 03:51 Arcalious wrote:
I'm not surprised at all. This was a privacy lawsuit waiting to happen.

How? You'd have to opt in to the Real ID-enabled forum, and I'm sure there would be a massive ToS that included an agreement to consent to use of your real name.

ToS != Law. They can write in their ToS whatever they want it does not make it a law =).

Um yes...

but if you agree to let Blizzard do something with your personal information, you cannot then win on a claim against Blizzard for doing that thing.

I can agree to it but it does not make the procedure legal. Whether it is in accord with the law is up to a judge to decide in the end :o.^

Yeah but judges have to apply the law lol, they can't just order a company not to do something because they don't like it.

Since my english is bad I will try to explain it with an example.

I open an online store and write in my ToS that if a customer wants to return a package then he must pay the shipment cost .!. Lots of shops did this in Germany.
Few days ago a court ruled this procedure to be against the law. --> My ToS is now "illegal" and not binding to the customer
Fruitseller: I feel like it's a good strategy[6Pool]. I had a lot of strategies, but I thought about it a lot and decided to 6 pool. Other people told me to 6 pool too
jazzy3001
Profile Joined May 2010
21 Posts
July 09 2010 19:30 GMT
#279
wow they changed it pretty fast
JWD
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States12607 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-09 19:32:39
July 09 2010 19:31 GMT
#280
On July 10 2010 04:28 smileyyy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 10 2010 04:18 JWD wrote:
On July 10 2010 04:12 smileyyy wrote:
On July 10 2010 04:06 JWD wrote:
On July 10 2010 03:59 smileyyy wrote:
On July 10 2010 03:53 JWD wrote:
On July 10 2010 03:51 Arcalious wrote:
I'm not surprised at all. This was a privacy lawsuit waiting to happen.

How? You'd have to opt in to the Real ID-enabled forum, and I'm sure there would be a massive ToS that included an agreement to consent to use of your real name.

ToS != Law. They can write in their ToS whatever they want it does not make it a law =).

Um yes...

but if you agree to let Blizzard do something with your personal information, you cannot then win on a claim against Blizzard for doing that thing.

I can agree to it but it does not make the procedure legal. Whether it is in accord with the law is up to a judge to decide in the end :o.^

Yeah but judges have to apply the law lol, they can't just order a company not to do something because they don't like it.

Since my english is bad I will try to explain it with an example.

I open an online store and write in my ToS that if a customer wants to return a package then he must pay the shipment cost .!. Lots of shops did this in germany Few days ago a court ruled this procedure to be against the law. --> My ToS is now "illegal" and not binding to the customer

It seems unlikely to me that this could happen in an American court, unless there is some complexity to these cases that we're not getting at (for example some statute regulating whether companies can make their customers pay shipping costs on returns, or whatever).

And your English seems perfect to me

I guess the bottom line is that I know of no US law that would prevent Blizzard from requiring real names to post on its forums, and I have a hunch that Blizzard would get lawyers competent enough to craft a legal, binding ToS that gave it the right to publish real names. Written agreements are very powerful in court.
✌
Prev 1 12 13 14 15 16 21 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 4h 1m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 557
UpATreeSC 94
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 869
Dewaltoss 123
firebathero 82
Zeus 65
910 40
Trap 38
Bale 25
NaDa 24
ToSsGirL 20
Shine 15
Dota 2
Gorgc6653
420jenkins268
monkeys_forever72
Counter-Strike
edward281
Super Smash Bros
ArmadaUGS148
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu2199
Other Games
summit1g5603
Grubby2796
Beastyqt652
B2W.Neo642
shahzam442
byalli417
C9.Mang0161
TKL 150
KnowMe141
ToD94
Railgan17
Chillindude13
Organizations
Other Games
WardiTV254
BasetradeTV238
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream121
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 14
• Adnapsc2 14
• Reevou 5
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki30
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Shiphtur302
• WagamamaTV268
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
4h 1m
Kung Fu Cup
15h 1m
Stellar Fest
17h 1m
The PondCast
1d 14h
OSC
1d 17h
OSC
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.