• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:45
CEST 04:45
KST 11:45
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7409 users

Beta Key Self-Nominators - Page 28

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 26 27 28 29 30 99 Next
Hot_Bid
Profile Blog Joined October 2003
Braavos36402 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-17 17:24:22
April 17 2010 17:24 GMT
#541
On April 18 2010 02:14 Consummate wrote:
Hey

I am new to this site, and immediately joined when I saw I could be in the running for a SC2 beta key. I know that sounds kind of selfish, but it is explained below.

In relation to my RTS gaming history:

I played Starcraft when it came out and I was very young so I never understood the mechanics of the game. I loved it and I remember hating Zerg because I was scared of aliens (thank you Alien movies), I never played competitively because I didn't have good internet connection at the time, and I don't think I would have been able to comprehend sophisticated strategies, nor would I have had the micro. I remember always playing Terran simply because of Ghosts, they were my favourite unit by far.

I got into Warcraft 3 as well, and played that competitively for a little while. But again, I was too young to understand intricate strategies and I didn't have the attention span to develop my micro management. I didn't get that good because I quickly became interested in DotA and invested a lot of time into that.

My latest RTS experience is Company of Heroes, where I can proudly announce I got into the top 10 in the world for (though the competition of the game is nothing compared to a game of Starcraft's magnitude). I loved that game, but imbalance ruined the experience for me (the Opposing Fronts expansion brought in the completely imbalanced British and Panzer Elite, and made some fundamental changes to the initial factions that screwed up balance further). Company of Heroes essentially got me very interested in RTS, and it's where I developed the desire to perfect micro management as well as create my own unique strategies.

So now I aim to move onto Starcraft 2, where the competition is much more fierce than Company of Heroes, also because some friends were Warcraft 3 players and told me Starcraft 2 is the next biggest game. Only recently I began watching Starcraft 1 and 2 replays just to see how insane the game is skill-wise compared to other RTS games - and I was very impressed. I noticed quickly that Starcraft 2 is a game I would be very interested in, and would devote a lot of time to becoming a competitive player. I've watched many replays in the Team Liquid competition to (so I suppose I've been a lurker for a week or so), and by far the most entertaining replay I've seen is:

[link edited out]

Just that replay alone piqued my interest to the point I began going to a friends house often to watch him play the beta.

Thanks.

You aren't even on the list, wth?
@Hot_Bid on Twitter - ESPORTS life since 2010 - http://i.imgur.com/U2psw.png
789
Profile Joined October 2009
United States959 Posts
April 17 2010 17:24 GMT
#542
Wow i friggen love this idea. I have a feeling no one will be getting a key on that list.
Member of Hyuk Hyuk Hyuk Cafe! He's the next Jaedong, baby!
3FFA
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States3931 Posts
April 17 2010 17:25 GMT
#543
Hot_Bid is the key only for windows and not Mac?
"As long as it comes from a pure place and from a honest place, you know, you can write whatever you want."
ComradeDover
Profile Joined November 2009
Bulgaria758 Posts
April 17 2010 17:28 GMT
#544
On April 18 2010 02:25 3FFA wrote:
Hot_Bid is the key only for windows and not Mac?


Yes. It's only Windows. There's no Mac beta client.
Bring back 2v2s!
Deleted User 48059
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
86 Posts
April 17 2010 17:28 GMT
#545
@HB:
I think consummate is actually asking that his name be *added* to the list o_0

Kev
Rainmaker5
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States1027 Posts
April 17 2010 17:31 GMT
#546
10/10 I love this place so much.
(-_(-_(-_(^_(-_(-_(-_-)_-)_-)_-)_-)_-)_-) CJ Fighting! "Beer -> soju -> whisky is a terrible build"~~ Scrarecrow.
nate_river
Profile Joined April 2010
40 Posts
April 17 2010 17:32 GMT
#547


Do you yourself feel you're deserving? You're trying to play the dunno-how-to-contribute card but that's such bullshit. In stead of seeing this as a way to get a key so you can contribute you should be thinking to yourself "gosh, there's a bunch of people that get nominated because they contributed without a key, I should contribute and strive to one day be one of those people."
[/QUOTE]
Who are you that telling other people what they should think?
Splunge
Profile Joined July 2008
Germany925 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-17 17:34:31
April 17 2010 17:33 GMT
#548
thx for putting me on the list!
and yeah i would like to remain in the list for a beta key!
Devanthar
Eris Nyrea
Profile Joined February 2010
United States2 Posts
April 17 2010 17:34 GMT
#549
I would like to stay on the list
Love, Luck and Lollipops
Aldehyde
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Sweden939 Posts
April 17 2010 17:35 GMT
#550
Hey, I've got a question. I've already said that I want to keep my name on the list, but can one change his mind? I haven't decided if I want to do this yet, but seeing as there is some time left on this "contest", I just want to know if the option exists.
Hot_Bid
Profile Blog Joined October 2003
Braavos36402 Posts
April 17 2010 17:36 GMT
#551
Yes, anyone can change their mind at any time.
@Hot_Bid on Twitter - ESPORTS life since 2010 - http://i.imgur.com/U2psw.png
brotosterone
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States260 Posts
April 17 2010 17:38 GMT
#552
Ah, the good ol' prisoner's dilemma. I'll opt out and help the community. I do not want a beta key from this contest.

... but will anyone remember our selfless acts?
Pholon
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Netherlands6142 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-17 17:40:36
April 17 2010 17:38 GMT
#553
On April 18 2010 02:32 nate_river wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +

Who are you that telling other people what they should think?


All the people that I know have beta got it by working for it. I get agitated by people who just come in and wanna scoop up one for free with so many more deserving people around.
Moderator@TLPholon // "I need a third hand to facepalm right now"
mcneebs
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Canada391 Posts
April 17 2010 17:39 GMT
#554
On April 18 2010 01:36 love1another wrote:
This is a hilarious example of game theory at play where the pure strategy nash equilibrium is for everybody not to eliminate themselves. This is hilarious.

Nash doesn't work here, because staying in is both the only way to get a key and also guaranteeing that no one gets a key. Also, the closer we get to the bubble (a number we don't even know), the less likely anyone will drop out. If they won't drop with 150, they won't do it with 6. And the crazy thing is that in a game theory sense they'd be right to stay in. Its really awesome in a way.

The closer they get to the prize, the more likely that they'll never get it.
You do it to yourself. Just you. You and no one else.
Pholon
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Netherlands6142 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-17 18:38:25
April 17 2010 17:40 GMT
#555
On April 18 2010 02:38 brotosterone wrote:
Ah, the good ol' prisoner's dilemma. I'll opt out and help the community. I do not want a beta key from this contest.

... but will anyone remember our selfless acts?


no, we'll only forget about being a douchebag self-nominating in the first place
Moderator@TLPholon // "I need a third hand to facepalm right now"
ComradeDover
Profile Joined November 2009
Bulgaria758 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-17 17:41:41
April 17 2010 17:40 GMT
#556
On April 18 2010 02:36 Hot_Bid wrote:
Yes, anyone can change their mind at any time.


Don't say that...
Nevermind. That's what I get for posting without reading. I thought you meant people who took their names off can change their mind and get them put back in.
Bring back 2v2s!
Hot_Bid
Profile Blog Joined October 2003
Braavos36402 Posts
April 17 2010 17:41 GMT
#557
On April 18 2010 02:40 Pholon wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 18 2010 02:38 brotosterone wrote:
Ah, the good ol' prisoner's dilemma. I'll opt out and help the community. I do not want a beta key from this contest.

... but will anyone remember our selfless acts?


no, we'll only forget about being a douchebag in the first place

Don't be so harsh, there's no contract stating every key has to go to someone deserving. Plenty of people got keys just by opting into Blizzard's beta test, and many of those gamers aren't even StarCraft players.
@Hot_Bid on Twitter - ESPORTS life since 2010 - http://i.imgur.com/U2psw.png
Bibbit
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Canada5377 Posts
April 17 2010 17:41 GMT
#558
This is genious. But I really doubt anyone's getting a key here. People are just too selfish. :/
Cheree
Profile Joined January 2010
Canada123 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-17 17:44:15
April 17 2010 17:42 GMT
#559
On April 18 2010 02:20 Pholon wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 18 2010 02:08 Gokain wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
Ironically, the reason I'm so late to noticing this thread is because I was playing SC2 beta at my friend's place until 6AM and just woke up, and not ignorance to the TL threads.

While I give kudos to the social experiment induced [and consequently being able to derive a social commentary from it], a lot of issues should be addressed.

It's true that many of the 1 posters [myself excluded] merely jumped on an opportunity to acquire a key, never to be heard from again. I'm pretty sure this includes a hefty amount of people who downloaded the cracked version and never will support this community in the future. But that's exactly my point. I realize there are people that have been supporting this community since its birth, and others that have been contributing for a very long time. Unfortunately, everyone needs a place to start. I detest the idea of going to a random thread, of a game which I have very limited knowledge of, and then proceeding to spew out random information that may or may not be true. It simply will not help promote a high level of discussion about the game. As a noob at SC, and speaking for others who are like-minded, I would rather be a listener until reaching a point of sufficient expertise to be considered, essentially, worthy to speak.

This is ultimately where a lot of hate falls, but the motivations of people who have not contributed much may be different on an individual level. Some may not care; some may just be looking for chance to win and never contribute again. Others however, may actually be seeking a way to improve themselves until they feel that the information they provide will benefit the community.

My point is this: you have no idea about each of these posters and "self-nominators" until after you see their posts or actions [or lack thereof, for that matter].

Now for who is deserving and who isn't. What does deserving mean to this community? Does it refer to people who have already contributed much to this environment and to the scene? I know that a lot of the veterans on these threads have done a considerable work to shaping the SC/2 scene. Clearly they are "deserving". But could deserving also be referring to those people who possess the potential and drive to be an asset to this community? They haven't done much as of yet, either because they were unfamiliar with TL.net, or because they possessed no valuable information to share with the community. But if they not only want to become better, but consistently make the effort to improve at the game and also try to figure out ways to expand and evolve the SC scene, then could they also be considered deserving?

I am a noob that is part of the group I just described. I want to become better, and regardless of whether I get a key from this competition, I will make the effort to improve and contribute to the scene.

But am I deserving enough to keep my name in this contest? I'll let the community decide. If you guys believe that deserving refers only to those who have already made an impact on the community, then I'll request that my name be taken out. If you believe that deserving also applies to the noobs that want to improve, then let my name stay. Thanks.


+ Show Spoiler +
Do you yourself feel you're deserving? You're trying to play the dunno-how-to-contribute card but that's such bullshit. In stead of seeing this as a way to get a key so you can contribute you should be thinking to yourself "gosh, there's a bunch of people that get nominated because they contributed without a key, I should contribute and strive to one day be one of those people."


That way of thinking doesn't help getting a key now. People don't contribute so that 10 years later, the community will pay them back with a beta key to SCIII. Everyone who's a SC fan is deserving imo. However, it appears as though the question is "Who is deserving within the TL community?" and that boils down to who's judging this thing. If there's a select few judges, then they can differentiate the contribution of members. They don't need this thread to help them in their decision. This debacle is unnecessarily patronizing people who want beta keys. If the community decides by popular vote, then guys, get a better system... It's like going 'We'll start by voting on who's the least deserving and so on until the least of the least deserving is left, and they'll win a beta key.' Very classy.
*wants beta*
Zlasher
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States9129 Posts
April 17 2010 17:44 GMT
#560
There have been 15-20 people saying they refuse to take their name off the list because they genuinely feel they're better than everyone else on the list and deserve it.

There are less than 10 keys available, I don't get it...
Follow me: www.twitter.com/zlasher
Prev 1 26 27 28 29 30 99 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
PiGosaur Cup
09:00
#102
CranKy Ducklings114
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
WinterStarcraft399
ByuN 304
RuFF_SC2 152
ViBE96
CosmosSc2 66
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2310
GuemChi 1307
MaD[AoV]185
Sharp 154
910 67
Bale 20
NaDa 14
Terrorterran 5
Dota 2
monkeys_forever370
LuMiX1
Counter-Strike
taco 617
minikerr17
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox1049
Other Games
summit1g8730
JimRising 591
C9.Mang0342
Trikslyr32
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick818
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream27
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• EnkiAlexander 59
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP58
• Letter149
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo554
Other Games
• Shiphtur359
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
13h 15m
The PondCast
1d 7h
INu's Battles
1d 8h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 19h
Replay Cast
1d 20h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.