• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:58
CEST 10:58
KST 17:58
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War435.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror TL Sidebar missing streams Bot on ladder Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10167 users

[G] Thor/Banshee/Hellbat TvP Allin

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Doodsmack
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States7224 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-27 07:18:34
May 22 2013 01:36 GMT
#1
This build is a 2-base thor/banshee/hellbat +1 armor allin. I have a high rate of success with this at the mid master level. One good counter to it is when the toss meets you outside of your base base with stalker/coll and kites you across the map. In general, if the toss does not know to kite you across the map he will probably have a tough time defending this.

Also of note is that if you're against a 1 base allin, you abandon the build and go marine/tank (so you need to make sure to keep a SCV alive and see if he builds a nexus). 1 rax FE is somewhat risky due to its vulnerability to toss aggression including proxy oracle. However, only rarely have I faced this as a reaction to my 1 rax FE. Which is to say most players don't have good decision making.

Below is the build order in somewhat imprecise form. Note that even if you fall behind and don't hit your timing all that well, your ball of shit will still give you a decent chance of winning. Also note this build order may not be completely optimal, as this is basically what I've come up with on the fly...I haven't tested different variations or really done any sort of testing outside of games. It's possible you could work in Ravens (but I feel pretty strapped for gas already) and/or +1 attack. But again, I feel like I'm spending all my gas here.

1. 1 rax FE, 19/19 gas

2. factory, reactor on rax (swap fact onto rax and make hellions), starport, techlab on rax (swap port onto techlab and make cloak banshee)

3. 3rd and 4th gas after first banshee, armory w/ first 100 gas after first banshee

4. constant hellions, 2 banshee. See what harassment you can get done with this, however it's very important not to afk your base and forget to make your 2nd and 3rd facts AND 2 techlabs w/ the rax on time.

5. First 200 gas after 2nd banshee - 2 facts. Make 2 techlabs with your rax during the time these factories are building. This is going to be very important to hitting your timing, because you need to get the lengthy thor production underway.

6. +1 armor

7. After your harassment has ended you can look around for proxy pylons/take map control/scout with your hellion banshee. Also keep a hellion outside his ramp

8. Once 2nd and 3rd facts are done - 2 thors, followed by a 4th fact and reactor on the rax.

9. Constant production of the following: 2x thors, 1x banshee, 4x hellions, 2x SCV.

10. Start hellbat transformation after 2nd set of thors is underway

11. Move out once you have 6 thors (~14:00, ~175 supply). You should have 4-5 banshee, a fuckton of hellions, and a fuckton of SCVs

12. Bring almost all of your mineral SCVs (then remember to drop mules so you still have a mineral income. BUT save a scan or two for obs/DT). This should be 40+. I use one base's SCVs for autorepair, and the other base's SCVs for my front line.

13. Once you get outside his base, transform your hellions into hellbats.

14. Charge. Scan to kill obs. Target immortals/coll with your banshee. The toss will tend to kite back, so you what you don't want is for your thors to be way behind your frontline of hellbats, not doing much. It's important to keep your ball together and doing max DPS during the fight.

15. Laugh

Replays:

http://drop.sc/336272
http://drop.sc/336273
http://drop.sc/336274
http://drop.sc/338087

Those happen to all be on the same map but the basic principle is there. Try this out and let me know how it goes for you!
eMM
Profile Joined July 2010
Australia34 Posts
May 24 2013 09:56 GMT
#2
Had a quick look at the replays,

I quite like the idea how you show the hellions (implying there is no need to have ob in his base cuz of widow mine drops) and come up with the cloaked banshee thats been dropped off the face of the earth at the moment.

Thought the transitions were very smooth but would like to know how it holds off against earlier protoss gateway aggression.

Have you tried attacking without all your scvs? How does the attack flare up without them?
TRpredator
Profile Joined March 2012
Russian Federation101 Posts
May 27 2013 03:47 GMT
#3
1 rax FEwith double gases is too greedy since gateway pressure or MSC with zealot stalker can kill you in an instant unless you make it in base. Banshee doesn't realy work beacause most likely will get robo or stargate which are instant counter.
So I would've made few changes:
1) Go 15 gas-reactor as you have more marines and can deviate a lot more easier from original build
2) Get raven instead of cloak unless you scouted that his going for no detection(double forge play)
3) If you see colosus, then make vikings or few tanks to zone out your opponent
4) Possible to get 1 medvack to drop hellions
Doodsmack
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States7224 Posts
May 27 2013 07:21 GMT
#4
Just added a 4th replay. I played terribly and the guy killed like 10 hellions and 2 banshee for free at the start. He had 2/2 and a LOT of stalkers when the all-in hit. But I still won.

But yes, I'd imagine early aggression is the counter but honestly I rarely face it. Most people expand in response to seeing my expand. It is what it is, a ladder build that will get you a lot of wins.

Has anyone else been trying this?
ECA.BruTATroN
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States282 Posts
May 28 2013 16:24 GMT
#5
when i get home from work today ill try on my stream :D
http://www.twitch.tv/brutatron
padfoota
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Taiwan1571 Posts
May 29 2013 07:20 GMT
#6
bumping. Seriously this thread just suddenly got forgotten or something and fell off the strat section
Stop procrastinating
igay
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
Australia1178 Posts
May 29 2013 08:20 GMT
#7
On May 29 2013 16:20 padfoota wrote:
bumping. Seriously this thread just suddenly got forgotten or something and fell off the strat section



trust me if it a build that people want to discuss they would no need to bump, no one forgot about it i just don't think it generate's much interest
MVP <3 MKP <3 DRG <3
Freeze967
Profile Joined August 2011
United States230 Posts
May 29 2013 18:53 GMT
#8
I really like this build, 700 point master player and I am experiencing great success with this build. Even if the Protoss scouts I am able to hold it. The only thing I feel like I would have trouble with is a build incorporating a really fast third + storm.

As a tip, don't worry about sacking a ton of hellions early on to prevent attack and to harass. Even if I lose my first four hellions I can take out a lot of probes at the natural, or some weak sentries.
Doodsmack
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States7224 Posts
June 01 2013 04:57 GMT
#9
On May 30 2013 03:53 Freeze967 wrote:
I really like this build, 700 point master player and I am experiencing great success with this build. Even if the Protoss scouts I am able to hold it. The only thing I feel like I would have trouble with is a build incorporating a really fast third + storm.

As a tip, don't worry about sacking a ton of hellions early on to prevent attack and to harass. Even if I lose my first four hellions I can take out a lot of probes at the natural, or some weak sentries.


Good to hear someone is using it. I will say I demolished someone who went triple nexus into double forge. Although he did not get storm. The other day I lost to MSC + blink allin and a 2 base allin that hit when I had 2 thors (which was in reaction to me killing a ton of his probes). In both cases, I think I could have won if I played better.
Cortza
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
South Africa328 Posts
June 01 2013 06:30 GMT
#10
Have you considered doing an in base CC and walling off before the scouting probe? I feel like this would help disguise the build.

I tried it a while ago but lost to a blink allin on Neo Planet.
Gaizokubanou
Profile Joined April 2013
United States61 Posts
June 01 2013 21:17 GMT
#11
The big attack moves out after 14 min mark so what is there to disguise?

My main problem with this plan is pretty much summed up well by TRpredator. Taking his suggestion to make this less greedy would be better than trying to hide gasless CC since many of the 1 base aggression from the protoss players don't really depend on their scouting info because they can just pull back and most current Terran meta builds don't have any means of picking off retreating protoss units that early in the game.

I just want to emphasize how risky the gasless FE is here... SCV scouts can get shut down before finding critical information so I think that unless your build ends up building good defensive units (bio in bunker) automatically early on, getting a reaper to scout for early aggression is a key to not getting build order losses. I use Strelok's hellbat/tank build and about half of my games in this matchup are saved from instant loss to some early aggression thanks to that reaper scouting twilight, double gas with not enough pylon (proxy stargate), 4 gate, etc.

Or am I being completely mistaken here and is there a reliable way of scouting using just SCV?
BoggieMan
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
520 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-06-01 22:11:59
June 01 2013 22:10 GMT
#12
On June 01 2013 15:30 Cortza wrote:
Have you considered doing an in base CC and walling off before the scouting probe? I feel like this would help disguise the build.

I tried it a while ago but lost to a blink allin on Neo Planet.


letting him scout the cc will make him think you are playing standard macro bio play until he has obs out or you show hellions/banshees/tanks.
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 2m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 14
StarCraft: Brood War
Free 854
Soulkey 315
Larva 209
Soma 199
Mind 69
ZerO 63
soO 29
scan(afreeca) 23
ajuk12(nOOB) 22
zelot 8
League of Legends
JimRising 545
Counter-Strike
edward142
Other Games
summit1g8836
singsing1486
gofns1328
Coldzera 685
WinterStarcraft636
Sick215
ZerO(Twitch)9
Pyrionflax8
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick665
BasetradeTV226
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 18
• LUISG 13
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2239
League of Legends
• Jankos2354
Upcoming Events
Big Brain Bouts
1h 2m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
Online Event
3h 2m
AI Arena Tournament
8h 2m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
10h 2m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 1h
Patches Events
1d 6h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 10h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 10h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.