• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:52
CEST 14:52
KST 21:52
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8266 users

[G] Puppylisk's guide to 2v2, all races & matchups - Page 2

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
puppylisk
Profile Joined February 2013
United States47 Posts
March 01 2013 23:03 GMT
#21
On March 02 2013 06:21 metroid composite wrote:
Hm, actually, one configuration I don't see mentioned that has a very high success rate so far is...

In ZZ vs ZZ, one zerg opens 10 pool bane (the 1v1 build), the other opens a normal 10 pool. Pressure a bit, force lings out; you'll probably have similar amounts of lings so pull back for 20 seconds and wait for banes. finish banes and win.

You list the standard ZZ vs ZZ build as one 10p one roach, and I'm trying to figure out how 10p + roach holds 10p + 10p bane. Like...if you seven roach rush, there's a good 40 seconds when your opponents will have banelings and you won't have roaches. That seems too long.


Yes, like I mentioned before on the guide it's just what I feel are some of the best ways to open, I'm not saying it's the only ways to open, or that you should do it every game, 10pool + 10pool bane is viable, assuming that you actually get damage done, if they scout the baneling nest they can easily get a spinecrawler up and a queen + spine can easily hold a 10pool baneling, and the player will have a much later speed, and if the banes don't work and the player gets roaches out it is most likely GG, though in a majority of cases people will die to the banelings.

Yes 10pool + 10pool bane is viable vs ZZ and sometimes even ZP, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it unless it fits you and your partners playstyle.
http://www.twitch.tv/puppylisk
daralharb
Profile Joined January 2011
United States59 Posts
March 02 2013 12:04 GMT
#22
I've been trying the 11 gas into hellion banshee. What are the transitions I can go from there? I always feel behind
puppylisk
Profile Joined February 2013
United States47 Posts
March 02 2013 12:19 GMT
#23
On March 02 2013 21:04 daralharb wrote:
I've been trying the 11 gas into hellion banshee. What are the transitions I can go from there? I always feel behind


Can you give a little more information, like what match ups are you doing it in.
http://www.twitch.tv/puppylisk
daralharb
Profile Joined January 2011
United States59 Posts
March 02 2013 15:13 GMT
#24
I play 2v2 with random partners. I've been going 11 hellion banshee pretty much whenever there is a zerg on the other team.
puppylisk
Profile Joined February 2013
United States47 Posts
March 02 2013 15:36 GMT
#25
On March 03 2013 00:13 daralharb wrote:
I play 2v2 with random partners. I've been going 11 hellion banshee pretty much whenever there is a zerg on the other team.


Okay, in random 2v2 you want to go to make sure your ally is going to do a corresponding build to your 11gas hellion, if you 11gas hellion and your ally decides to just go macro mode, you are generally going to get behind seeing you normally can't solo with hellions, if you do 11gas hellion into banshee and are playing RT, I recommend you get a medivac and just do a 4hellion drop into the not-zergs base, then start your cloak, then banshee. When transitioning, you want to make sure you pull off of 1 of your 2 refineries after you start your first banshee, and throw down a CC, at this point you want to set up your transition based on what they are going, but I personally normally end up going into mech, but it really depends on how the enemys composition is going to end up looking.
http://www.twitch.tv/puppylisk
Grackodile
Profile Joined January 2011
United States263 Posts
March 02 2013 15:40 GMT
#26
This guide is almost spot on to what I do in 2v2
MLG: How is your Protoss? Idra: I make Blink Stalkers, so really, really good.
Geiko
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
France2036 Posts
March 02 2013 15:42 GMT
#27
Great work, but just a note, I used to do a lot of the 6minute dt rush but I've found that it's a rather bad build.

As of now I'm doing a 13 gate, 14 gas 15 gas build that chronos out 26 probes rather fast and gets 3 dts @ 6:15 but with a maxed economy off one base. I think 15 seconds is not a lot for 7-8 more probes and enough money to transition into anything.

What server do you play on ?
geiko.813 (EU)
Geiko
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
France2036 Posts
March 02 2013 15:46 GMT
#28
Also I think you are severely underestimating the value of Phoenixes in 2vs2.

Maybe you haven't played a lot of PT but phoenix + marine tank is pretty much the go to build to counter basically any composition in the early / mid game.
geiko.813 (EU)
puppylisk
Profile Joined February 2013
United States47 Posts
March 02 2013 16:21 GMT
#29
On March 03 2013 00:42 Geiko wrote:
Great work, but just a note, I used to do a lot of the 6minute dt rush but I've found that it's a rather bad build.

As of now I'm doing a 13 gate, 14 gas 15 gas build that chronos out 26 probes rather fast and gets 3 dts @ 6:15 but with a maxed economy off one base. I think 15 seconds is not a lot for 7-8 more probes and enough money to transition into anything.

What server do you play on ?


The difference between 6minute dt and 6:15-6:20, is that those 15-20 seconds actually in a lot of cases are the deciding factor of the game, yes it's an all-allin build, so if your team mate isn't committing as much as you, it can be a problem, I often do both 6minute and 615-620 dts, and generally I will recommend the 6minute, seeing that is where the game almost always ends regardless. If you are playing AT 6minute, if RT I think 615-620 is normally better.

I play on NA and KR.

On March 03 2013 00:46 Geiko wrote:
Also I think you are severely underestimating the value of Phoenixes in 2vs2.

Maybe you haven't played a lot of PT but phoenix + marine tank is pretty much the go to build to counter basically any composition in the early / mid game.


I don't underestimate phoenixes, but there are many people who get into the mindset, that once they start making phoenixes, they don't stop, which is an awful habit, people just like to over make them, also per 1 more phoenix you make, you are just slowing down your higher tech, phoenixes have a diminishing value.
http://www.twitch.tv/puppylisk
gingerfluffmuff
Profile Joined January 2011
Austria4570 Posts
March 02 2013 16:30 GMT
#30
Thx for the guide mate. well written and makes sense.
・゚✧:・゚+..。✧・゚:・..。 ✧・゚ :・゚ ゜・:・ ✧・゚:・゚:.。 ✧・゚ SPARKULING *・゜・:・゚✧:・゚✧。゚+..。 ✧・゚: ✧・゚:・゜・:・゚✧::・・:・゚・゚
ComBro1
Profile Joined March 2011
80 Posts
March 02 2013 19:47 GMT
#31
Hey, I'm ComBrO, another highly ranked 2v2 player who sees a few gaps in your matchups. In TTvTP, TT, and PP, I like to open reaper expand soft contain the whole game with initially 1 or 2 reapers with a transition into marine medivac. If your partner does this as well, you open with enough map control to defend your double expand, but you need to prioritize combat sheilds first to defend tank allins and make sure to bunker up/expand inbase so as not to die to a counter allin. This style might not be the best for your guide, as it is very counterattack oriented and is very taxing on mechanics, but I have been very successful with it. With the TXvZX matchups, I almost exclusively mech, as there is not much that zergs can do in the midgame short of mutalisks, and with a teammate who can help with anti-air, (z going muta/ terran going bio/ protoss going blink/air), there is not much that your zerg opponents can do to defend a big 6-9 tank push assuming you have been active (without losing your hellions from the 11 gas opening). I hope this helps round out your guide, and I would put more, but I havent been playing random 2v2 for a while now!
wammyz
Profile Joined January 2013
90 Posts
March 02 2013 20:29 GMT
#32
Lol, someone is taking 2v2 seriously for once :p. I should play more 2v2s. Only thing I dislike about it is the players are mostly terrible until you get to the top of the masters ladders.
An Extremely Proud Bear Fanboy
NewEyes
Profile Joined March 2012
Germany113 Posts
March 02 2013 20:42 GMT
#33
Hey, thanks for your work!

One quick Question: How to deal with 10pool/Cannonrush as T/P? I feel a little bit lost there...
nanoscorp
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1237 Posts
March 02 2013 21:02 GMT
#34
Thanks for the guide! Just referred a friend who loves 2v2 to it. Definitely looks like a better foundation than my,"well, when I play 1v1 I like these builds..." suggestions
ZenithM
Profile Joined February 2011
France15952 Posts
March 02 2013 21:35 GMT
#35
Feeding strategies, or even worse, when a guy leaves the game on purpose right away to transfer his income before 5:00, are imo the most effective way to play 2v2, as well as, let's admit it, the lamest. You're essentially on a 2 base economy at the minute 4:00, you can tech very quickly while still have a buttload of units.
1 player on 2 bases is strictly more powerful than 2 players on 1 base, because an investment in tech from this player translates directly into a reward for a 2 base production, and not for a 1 base production. More simply, I think it's generally accepted that a full 2 base economy is more than twice as powerful as a full 1 base economy. It allows much sharper upgrades and tech timings, huge surge of upgraded units that are barely handleable and certainly not meant to be balanced.

The only downside (and why it's still fun to play 2v2) is that the game is only fun for 1 member out of 2, and not much for the feeder (or the leaver). That's why we don't see them more, people play 2v2s for fun, not for rank and glory, in general.

Rant aside, your guide is very cool and I'm glad that you left out the awful feed builds we sometimes see on the ladder :D
daralharb
Profile Joined January 2011
United States59 Posts
March 02 2013 21:52 GMT
#36
On March 03 2013 00:36 puppylisk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 03 2013 00:13 daralharb wrote:
I play 2v2 with random partners. I've been going 11 hellion banshee pretty much whenever there is a zerg on the other team.


Okay, in random 2v2 you want to go to make sure your ally is going to do a corresponding build to your 11gas hellion, if you 11gas hellion and your ally decides to just go macro mode, you are generally going to get behind seeing you normally can't solo with hellions, if you do 11gas hellion into banshee and are playing RT, I recommend you get a medivac and just do a 4hellion drop into the not-zergs base, then start your cloak, then banshee. When transitioning, you want to make sure you pull off of 1 of your 2 refineries after you start your first banshee, and throw down a CC, at this point you want to set up your transition based on what they are going, but I personally normally end up going into mech, but it really depends on how the enemys composition is going to end up looking.



Thank you for your quick response! I've been trying to figure it out on my own and have been having the most success with a similar strategy listed above. Although I need to refine it. Thanks again for your help, and I enjoy your guide.
Stefanovich
Profile Joined March 2013
United States26 Posts
March 03 2013 06:59 GMT
#37
Wow. This is awesome. Thanks for all the effort in helping out the rest if us.
Rainman5419
Profile Joined January 2011
United States92 Posts
March 03 2013 08:55 GMT
#38
Awesome guide. Gonna share this with my 2v2 partners later.
Member of UNT CSL, Season 5 CSL Champs! "The true test of a man’s character is what he does when no one is watching." -John Wooden
Yippo
Profile Joined September 2012
Sweden3 Posts
March 03 2013 09:11 GMT
#39
Wow, great guide, going to share with my partner later. Thanks!
I like blue.
Hadley88
Profile Joined February 2013
Germany267 Posts
March 03 2013 09:26 GMT
#40
TeamGames especially 2v2 are the worst waste of time ever. The game forces you to all-in - thats a ridiculous joke.

User was temp banned for this post.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Kung Fu Cup
11:00
2026 Week 25
CosmosSc2 2
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech127
Rex 113
CosmosSc2 2
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 48166
Hyuk 1432
Jaedong 809
EffOrt 462
Soma 426
Horang2 386
Soulkey 380
actioN 339
BeSt 335
Mini 318
[ Show more ]
Light 270
Last 267
Zeus 259
Stork 237
910 184
Larva 171
ggaemo 146
Snow 124
Rush 112
ZerO 92
Pusan 83
Killer 81
Mind 67
Shine 53
JYJ 44
Creator 43
Sharp 43
Shinee 36
hero 32
Free 31
Bale 26
ToSsGirL 21
yabsab 16
HiyA 15
Terrorterran 14
Noble 14
sorry 8
Sacsri 8
Icarus 6
Dota 2
Gorgc8485
Dendi642
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1577
markeloff247
kRYSTAL_29
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1652
crisheroes1063
Other Games
gofns41435
singsing2048
B2W.Neo686
hiko347
XBOCT307
Pyrionflax273
byalli264
DeMusliM254
ArmadaUGS99
Mew2King88
QueenE16
ZerO(Twitch)11
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 1719
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream136
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH338
• StrangeGG 40
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• iopq 10
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos1580
Other Games
• WagamamaTV192
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
8m
Rex113
IntoTheiNu 47
The PondCast
21h 8m
OSC
1d
Stellar Fest
1d
OSC
1d 11h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.