• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 02:08
CEST 08:08
KST 15:08
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9399 users

[G] PvP Double Gas Steal - Page 2

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
dae
Profile Joined June 2010
Canada1600 Posts
June 30 2012 03:41 GMT
#21
On June 30 2012 10:40 CecilSunkure wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 30 2012 10:00 EatThePath wrote:
On June 30 2012 09:23 CecilSunkure wrote:
And here is how to defend it: http://drop.sc/181028


That timing with the sentry was pretty thin. And the gas stealing player basically messed up as much as possible in his attack. But it was funny to watch nonetheless.

You don't need a Sentry. I could have made some Stalkers instead


I don't think that's a winning strat vs double gas steal.

If he had just sat at the bottom of your ramp with the stalkers instead of running up and getting force fielded (Twice!) he would have had his expo up way before you could even think about having one, as well as being able to harass your army as it moved out.

You won that game because he suicided 5 stalkers.
Tyler73123
Profile Joined July 2011
67 Posts
June 30 2012 03:41 GMT
#22
On June 30 2012 10:02 -Zao- wrote:
This is terrible.

The only good use I can see maybe working once is if you dbl gas steal and then go for a 4gate.



Yea, that's what you can usually do with this build. Problem is if they get a ton of cannons then you'll need a warp prism as well. You also have to be on the lookout for proxy gate(s).
CecilSunkure
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States2829 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-30 03:55:40
June 30 2012 03:54 GMT
#23
On June 30 2012 12:41 dae wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 30 2012 10:40 CecilSunkure wrote:
On June 30 2012 10:00 EatThePath wrote:
On June 30 2012 09:23 CecilSunkure wrote:
And here is how to defend it: http://drop.sc/181028


That timing with the sentry was pretty thin. And the gas stealing player basically messed up as much as possible in his attack. But it was funny to watch nonetheless.

You don't need a Sentry. I could have made some Stalkers instead


I don't think that's a winning strat vs double gas steal.

If he had just sat at the bottom of your ramp with the stalkers instead of running up and getting force fielded (Twice!) he would have had his expo up way before you could even think about having one, as well as being able to harass your army as it moved out.

You won that game because he suicided 5 stalkers.

If he has five stalkers at the bottom of my ramp he's going to lose them? He also has no idea what is up my ramp due to denying of scouting. If he tries to do a contain + expo the opponent can lose a prism.

I'm just pointing out that the opponent didn't make "giant mistakes" that would have won him the game if he had played otherwise, as people here are saying. It's not complicated... Just don't overreact, make a cannon, chrono your gates not your WG and you'll be just fine.
cmcnutt34
Profile Joined June 2012
United States43 Posts
June 30 2012 15:21 GMT
#24
Waste investment in my opinion. What level is this at?
Tyler73123
Profile Joined July 2011
67 Posts
June 30 2012 16:13 GMT
#25
On July 01 2012 00:21 cmcnutt34 wrote:
Waste investment in my opinion. What level is this at?


I'm currently in masters. I used to be top 8, but I haven't been laddering a lot recently. I'm rank like 40 or so right now as toss. I can play the other races in masters just not as well
Scurvy
Profile Joined March 2012
United States117 Posts
June 30 2012 16:35 GMT
#26
On June 30 2012 10:38 Darthsanta13 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 30 2012 10:17 Scurvy wrote:
I have tried to double gas steal as Zerg against Protoss a few times, and in general I have found it to be very effective. Even though I lose two drones, it is worth it in the way that it completely changes your opponent's strategy, and forces some crazy response. If you do it right of course.


Do you do this against FFE or just gate expand or one base play? When FFE'ing it seems like for most gas timings you could just take the gas at your natural and have units out by the time you need to take your third and fourth gas.


I don't do it if they FFE (which is most of the time) but any time they try some sort of 1 base play, I have found that it forces a proxy gate zealot rush, which when you know it is coming, is quite easy to defend.
With it or on it.
Tyler73123
Profile Joined July 2011
67 Posts
June 30 2012 17:29 GMT
#27
On July 01 2012 01:35 Scurvy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 30 2012 10:38 Darthsanta13 wrote:
On June 30 2012 10:17 Scurvy wrote:
I have tried to double gas steal as Zerg against Protoss a few times, and in general I have found it to be very effective. Even though I lose two drones, it is worth it in the way that it completely changes your opponent's strategy, and forces some crazy response. If you do it right of course.


Do you do this against FFE or just gate expand or one base play? When FFE'ing it seems like for most gas timings you could just take the gas at your natural and have units out by the time you need to take your third and fourth gas.


I don't do it if they FFE (which is most of the time) but any time they try some sort of 1 base play, I have found that it forces a proxy gate zealot rush, which when you know it is coming, is quite easy to defend.



I can see that actually being really useful vs gateway openings. Although they aren't very common this does seem like a good idea.
Swagtacular
Profile Joined March 2011
United States101 Posts
June 30 2012 17:49 GMT
#28
I like the innovation, but i cannot see how it would work against a good response.
The other day somebody did it to me, and all I had to do was not overact, make some zealots to take out the gas (dont cut workers), pressure with like 5-6 zealots to scout and kill a few workers, and follow up with a robo/immortal timing.

Here is a replay of me crushing it:
http://drop.sc/210332

+ Show Spoiler +

Masters 1 on NA server
Tyler73123
Profile Joined July 2011
67 Posts
June 30 2012 18:14 GMT
#29
On July 01 2012 02:49 Swagtacular wrote:
I like the innovation, but i cannot see how it would work against a good response.
The other day somebody did it to me, and all I had to do was not overact, make some zealots to take out the gas (dont cut workers), pressure with like 5-6 zealots to scout and kill a few workers, and follow up with a robo/immortal timing.

Here is a replay of me crushing it:
http://drop.sc/210332

+ Show Spoiler +

Masters 1 on NA server



I don't think this was the best response. Just like the other replay posted in here, your opponent made a few mistakes, probably because they don't have enough practice with this build. He got supply blocked really badly around 5:00 for a long time. I also don't like going blink after double gas stealing. His warp gate was so far ahead, and he knew your zealot count, so I don't know why he didn't go for some sort of 4 gate. Also, had he walled off like I said in this build, the zealot pressure wouldn't have done any damage.
Universum
Profile Joined January 2011
Canada192 Posts
June 30 2012 20:23 GMT
#30
Thanks for sharing! It's the kind of idea that is fun to throw in a Best of X series in clan wars or tournament.
You often learn more from losing than winning. Don't rage, it's a game!
SupplyBlockedTV
Profile Blog Joined September 2011
Belgium313 Posts
June 30 2012 21:07 GMT
#31
Hey, i was wondering. I have done alot of korean 4gating in PvP, and there usually is this short space of time between a zealot and a stalker where you can just put down pylons in your opponents base and let them finnish before he can kill them. If you delay his warp gate tech with double gas steal, this means korean 4gate would be even more effective (if not countered by cannon in miniral line..but then you can still do massive damage). Would it be possible of instead using 4gate warp prism, to hide a probe, and even if he finds out, he only has zealots, probe beats zealots, and then just spam a bunch of pylons in his base?
PEW PEW PEW
Babel Fish
Profile Joined June 2012
15 Posts
June 30 2012 22:19 GMT
#32
On July 01 2012 06:07 Xenocide_EU wrote:
Hey, i was wondering. I have done alot of korean 4gating in PvP, and there usually is this short space of time between a zealot and a stalker where you can just put down pylons in your opponents base and let them finnish before he can kill them. If you delay his warp gate tech with double gas steal, this means korean 4gate would be even more effective (if not countered by cannon in miniral line..but then you can still do massive damage). Would it be possible of instead using 4gate warp prism, to hide a probe, and even if he finds out, he only has zealots, probe beats zealots, and then just spam a bunch of pylons in his base?


I thought that about Nawina's blink+obs build but man, you know what a good toss does?
They FFE and cheese you with Gaulzi style cannon rushing.

It can be favorable but its just safer to not double gas steal period.
Heck when I proxy 2 gate'd in PvP I didn't double gas steal, I sent 1 zealot to attack the stalker and took the rest and went after the mineral line, if the probes ran I split lets 1-2 chase the probes and took the others and killed pylons.

Double gas steal imo is a very nice way of saying "PLEASE CHEESE ME, I like to be cannon rushed and even if I survive I'm okay with you having a early expo while I'm hurting from the cheese."
FALCON PUNCH
RespectedPuddle
Profile Joined July 2011
80 Posts
June 30 2012 22:19 GMT
#33
On June 30 2012 11:03 moskonia wrote:
The delay against FFE as Zerg might provide a timing attack that uses the WG timing delay, even though I am not sure if its worth it.


this is interesting. not only would it delay warp tech, it would force early zealots which would cut into probe production
CecilSunkure
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States2829 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-30 22:27:46
June 30 2012 22:27 GMT
#34
On July 01 2012 07:19 RespectedPuddle wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 30 2012 11:03 moskonia wrote:
The delay against FFE as Zerg might provide a timing attack that uses the WG timing delay, even though I am not sure if its worth it.


this is interesting. not only would it delay warp tech, it would force early zealots which would cut into probe production

If you're not mining vespene there's no reason for probe cuts.
Tyler73123
Profile Joined July 2011
67 Posts
June 30 2012 23:53 GMT
#35
On July 01 2012 07:19 Babel Fish wrote:
Double gas steal imo is a very nice way of saying "PLEASE CHEESE ME, I like to be cannon rushed and even if I survive I'm okay with you having a early expo while I'm hurting from the cheese."


Umm, I mentioned in the video that if you wall off, you will be able to spot incoming probes, and you should also scout for the forge. Check around your base, and check for proxy gates later on, and you should be fine.
MrTD
Profile Joined June 2012
United States12 Posts
July 01 2012 19:49 GMT
#36
Just tried it in a PvP, it worked surprisingly well.
opisska
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Poland8852 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-01 21:28:43
July 01 2012 21:26 GMT
#37
Someone just did it to me, ended up being the most hillarious PvP I ever had. It is just Plaitnum league and we are both very, like really, really very bad. But I give it to you as an illustration, what can happen from a double gas steal. There is even long distance mineral mining! I wish people did it more

http://drop.sc/211980

edit: just wanted to add that without having read this thread yesterdar, I would probably has no idea what to do. TL is so usefull
"Jeez, that's far from ideal." - Serral, the king of mild trashtalk
TL+ Member
rsvp
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
United States2266 Posts
July 02 2012 01:26 GMT
#38
In PvP, if you see a probe enter your base that early especially on a 2 player map, there's an extremely high chance you're getting proxied, cannon rushed, or double gas stolen. I would immediately scout my base and/or stick a probe on his probe especially on maps that are easy to cannon rush behind the mineral lines or do this style of double gas stealing.
Tyler73123
Profile Joined July 2011
67 Posts
July 02 2012 15:12 GMT
#39
On July 02 2012 10:26 rsvp wrote:
In PvP, if you see a probe enter your base that early especially on a 2 player map, there's an extremely high chance you're getting proxied, cannon rushed, or double gas stolen. I would immediately scout my base and/or stick a probe on his probe especially on maps that are easy to cannon rush behind the mineral lines or do this style of double gas stealing.


I get scouted that early most of the time (in masters) and usually none of that happens. I think people just scout after 9 to make sure they're not getting cannon rushed / proxied. What is a standard time for scouting in pvp? After gate?
Sated
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
England4983 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-02 16:04:21
July 02 2012 16:02 GMT
#40
--- Nuked ---
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
Continental Nation League S1
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
NeuroSwarm 193
ProTech137
Nina 100
StarCraft: Brood War
Mong 218
Dewaltoss 114
Bale 38
ZergMaN 24
Noble 13
Icarus 7
League of Legends
JimRising 721
Other Games
summit1g9800
Sick189
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick839
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream41
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• practicex 45
• Letter146
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2184
League of Legends
• Lourlo1122
• Rush1047
• Stunt209
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
3h 52m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
4h 52m
Monday Night Weeklies
9h 52m
Replay Cast
16h 52m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 3h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 4h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 17h
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.