• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:26
CEST 03:26
KST 10:26
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)22Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8450 users

[D] Ultras in ZvP (Symbol style) - Page 4

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Kieds
Profile Joined July 2011
Chile116 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-06 08:20:48
July 06 2012 08:20 GMT
#61
Lately I was trying a type of style with Baneling, like Dimaga, and then Ultras. I try to avoid to use Roach bcuz I dont like that unit :D, and I try to hurry up melee upgrades.

My build order is something like Dimaga, but with some variation:

In simple words:

14Pool
Hatch when you can, queen 4 ling
24 Hatch
27 Gas 100@gas speedling
44 gas
60 Doble evo chamber, when they're ready I get +1melee +1caparace
70 Gas x2
After I get my upgrades, I get Lair And Bane nest.
80 Gas x2

Then, depends on the map I get Speed for banes, Drops and Speed for ovies, or tech to hive really fast.
When I get drop, I try to do some Ling bane attack with drops meanwhile I'm teching to ultras.
I like to get a fast gas to get speedling and get map control, bcuz I dont wanna make roach to stop a push bcuz I missed I pylon or something like that.
After I get my Ultras I make 2 Spire and attack, with Ling bane ultra and infestor with NP.

In this games I was played vs a Protoss GM in Na (I'm top master), and I executed this build.

http://drop.sc/215472

Sorry for my bad english

everdrone
Profile Joined June 2011
Russian Federation22 Posts
July 06 2012 08:48 GMT
#62
idra also used ultras in zvp, 1st game vs bling
vod: http://twitch.tv/taketv/b/323753978?t=3h12m
ErrorNA
Profile Joined November 2010
United States86 Posts
July 06 2012 09:02 GMT
#63
I do think that symbol is taking steps to use everything zerg has to offer, and he has created a standard from it.

The thing about going this style is if the protoss just skips colo like goes sentry immortal into a third. Then blink and Temp archives. Storm/archons into voids and teching to mothership. Super standard and basic but colo are finally being countered with these types of styles. maybe after a million years protosses will mix it up more. haha :p
Belial88
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States5217 Posts
July 06 2012 09:15 GMT
#64
^ right... and he'll be stopped by mass spines+infestor. Zerg can just go straight into broodlords.

It's a back and forth for both players, for zerg to identify if toss is going templar tech (in which case he cuts the ultra and goes quicker broods), and smilarly, for toss to identify if zerg is going ultra/bane (in which case he should be passive, and go templar tech). Like in the game vs bbongbbong, you can be blind countered basically by someone going templar tech (imo the guy just played bad, he was outplayed all game long but did something so goofy i dont think anyone does at the moment), while if you play 'standard', the ultras will do a lot of damage. In the end, regardless of how well toss 'counters' zerg, if you go ultras as zerg, you can prevent dying to that 3+ colossus deathball push, and force the game into broodlords. I think any toss will admit that it's rather uncomfortable to play against broodlords, no matter how far ahead they are.
How to build a $500 i7-3770K Ultimate Computer:http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=392709 ******** 100% Safe Razorless Delid Method! http://www.overclock.net/t/1376206/how-to-delid-your-ivy-bridge-cpu-with-out-a-razor-blade/0_100
leveller
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Sweden1840 Posts
July 06 2012 11:01 GMT
#65
On June 20 2012 15:22 NrGmonk wrote:
The counter for this as toss is extremely passive turtle play. A unit composition consisting of some combination of mainly archon/immortal/colossi/templar is the best. Zealots are pretty much worthless except for reinforcements after all banelings die, and you want as few stalkers as possible, as they don't really contribute much to the fight. Leftover sentries should be used to hallucinate archons. Fortify all your bases with spread out cannons. Basically just turtle like no other. If you reach a maxout with this composition, baneling/ultra cannot touch you. Double upgrades are also really bad versus this style cause all the main units(banelings and ultras) don't really care much about armor.

In the 2nd game, Parting got a huge lead, but was just overly aggressive. In the 3rd game, Parting was just caught off guard. He didn't get to use hallucination or spread out his army. Both games are good demonstrations of this style, but in both games I feel like Parting just wasn't used to facing it enough and made huge blunders.


I think void rays would be a pretty good response, they do good damage versus roach, ultra and infestor and of course brood lords. Zergs only aa will be infested terrans and fungals, and later corruptors, so with micro and later on hts and archons they should not be too vulnerable. And of course, when striving for a 200/200 army voids rays are excellent because of their low supply cost relative to their power.
Belial88
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States5217 Posts
July 06 2012 19:44 GMT
#66
People stopped using void rays as a 'counter' to Zerg when zergs started to get infestors over hydras. Void rays aren't that useful lategame in ZvP due to infestors.

Why would you say void rays would be a good response? Has a game you played or saw led you to believe that? They do terrible against infestors, and you never see a Toss get void rays as a response to broodlords so they clearly aren't that great, according to pro players.
How to build a $500 i7-3770K Ultimate Computer:http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=392709 ******** 100% Safe Razorless Delid Method! http://www.overclock.net/t/1376206/how-to-delid-your-ivy-bridge-cpu-with-out-a-razor-blade/0_100
Phanekim
Profile Joined April 2003
United States777 Posts
August 26 2012 06:10 GMT
#67
I liked this when i first saw it and have used it very well in team games. ultras are somewhat underrated in against p imho.
i like cheese
FataLe
Profile Joined November 2010
New Zealand4560 Posts
August 26 2012 06:43 GMT
#68
On July 07 2012 04:44 Belial88 wrote:
People stopped using void rays as a 'counter' to Zerg when zergs started to get infestors over hydras. Void rays aren't that useful lategame in ZvP due to infestors.

Why would you say void rays would be a good response? Has a game you played or saw led you to believe that? They do terrible against infestors, and you never see a Toss get void rays as a response to broodlords so they clearly aren't that great, according to pro players.

Voidrays are like the Hydra in PvZ. Very situational. And this is NOT one of those situations.
hi. big fan.
Belial88
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States5217 Posts
August 26 2012 07:34 GMT
#69
funny enough, axslav seems to think void rays are great lategame in conjunction with a few carriers. funny how the metagame evolves.

i haven't really been doign this ultra play, i just found it frustrated when i kept losing to toss with huge armies and not really doing much damage. toss can way too easily counter it it seems if they just play macro, ie sit back, grab fourth, templar tech, lots of zealots. there's also a coinflip involved I feel, as toss may simply go archons and zealots blindly (or maybe not blindly, whatever).

if anyone has reps of using ultras to good usage though, i'd love to see it. I've just been finding zvp really easy recently by massing spines, 5 bases really quickly, and if they do a 3+ colossus push I spam IT, that usually more than enough time (and sometimes just erases their army).

I feel like zergs have started to learn recently how awesome IT is over FG/NP. Total switch from when NP was the most important spell. FG isn't even used as much in combat as IT anymore in zvz.
How to build a $500 i7-3770K Ultimate Computer:http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=392709 ******** 100% Safe Razorless Delid Method! http://www.overclock.net/t/1376206/how-to-delid-your-ivy-bridge-cpu-with-out-a-razor-blade/0_100
FataLe
Profile Joined November 2010
New Zealand4560 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-26 18:29:42
August 26 2012 18:28 GMT
#70
On August 26 2012 16:34 Belial88 wrote:
funny enough, axslav seems to think void rays are great lategame in conjunction with a few carriers. funny how the metagame evolves.

i haven't really been doign this ultra play, i just found it frustrated when i kept losing to toss with huge armies and not really doing much damage. toss can way too easily counter it it seems if they just play macro, ie sit back, grab fourth, templar tech, lots of zealots. there's also a coinflip involved I feel, as toss may simply go archons and zealots blindly (or maybe not blindly, whatever).

if anyone has reps of using ultras to good usage though, i'd love to see it. I've just been finding zvp really easy recently by massing spines, 5 bases really quickly, and if they do a 3+ colossus push I spam IT, that usually more than enough time (and sometimes just erases their army).

I feel like zergs have started to learn recently how awesome IT is over FG/NP. Total switch from when NP was the most important spell. FG isn't even used as much in combat as IT anymore in zvz.

Sure, because by that time you have range (Carriers, feedback, pre-emptive storm) to counter fungal. Chain fungals at that point are risky and relies on the protoss screwing up their positioning.
hi. big fan.
abefroman
Profile Joined December 2010
70 Posts
August 28 2012 02:17 GMT
#71
Something I have. Something I have been playing with is fast gas. If you take 1 gas after your natural and deny scouting, you can take a 6 min lair and get broods on 4 base by 13 min.

Mavvie
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Canada923 Posts
August 28 2012 02:59 GMT
#72
On August 28 2012 11:17 abefroman wrote:
Something I have. Something I have been playing with is fast gas. If you take 1 gas after your natural and deny scouting, you can take a 6 min lair and get broods on 4 base by 13 min.



Replays please?

There are problems with a fast gas. You pretty much die to most 2 base all ins, because you sacrifice so much economy for such a fast gas. A good fast gas timing is after your /third/, not after your natural. Is a 6 minute lair with 40 drones going to help against a 7 gate +2 blink stalker all-in? Not one bit. You're better off playing standard than doing some fast gas broodlord rushes that die to pretty much every 2 base all in.
Getting back into sc2 O_o
abefroman
Profile Joined December 2010
70 Posts
August 28 2012 11:34 GMT
#73
I can get some replays going. But you CAN get70ish supply by 8 min still, and can always get super fast roach speed or infestors for allins.
Crypdos
Profile Joined December 2011
Netherlands110 Posts
August 28 2012 12:00 GMT
#74
On August 28 2012 20:34 abefroman wrote:
I can get some replays going. But you CAN get70ish supply by 8 min still, and can always get super fast roach speed or infestors for allins.



I challenge you to get >70 supply while getting a 6min lair+infestation pit+roach warren+lingspeed
abefroman
Profile Joined December 2010
70 Posts
August 28 2012 18:52 GMT
#75
Ok a couPle things. First I suck and top out at 70 with standard timings. Second, I didn't say you could take a lair at 6 and still get 70. But you CAN take an early gas and use as you please with the option of getting about 70. For ME, I doubt I could top 65. I'm diamond.

The choice is 70ish supply OR 6 min lair I bElieve.
AdrianHealey
Profile Joined January 2011
Belgium480 Posts
August 28 2012 19:21 GMT
#76
I just tried ultra-roach in a custom game, where the opponent skipped colossus. Worked pretty good. Totally not representative of anything, but I'll try it more often.

Ultralisks tank and deal damage while roaches just do damage.
I love.
Mavvie
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Canada923 Posts
August 28 2012 19:28 GMT
#77
On August 29 2012 04:21 AdrianHealey wrote:
I just tried ultra-roach in a custom game, where the opponent skipped colossus. Worked pretty good. Totally not representative of anything, but I'll try it more often.

Ultralisks tank and deal damage while roaches just do damage.

The funny thing is that roaches are also designed to tank damage, not deal it. Ultra/hydra synergizes okay, but nothing is as good as ultra/ling/bane with infestor support. Roaches don't synergize well. Surprised it worked, and also ultras counter colossus, or are at least decent against them.
Getting back into sc2 O_o
TheGreenMachine
Profile Joined March 2010
United States730 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-28 19:31:17
August 28 2012 19:29 GMT
#78
On August 28 2012 21:00 Crypdos wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 28 2012 20:34 abefroman wrote:
I can get some replays going. But you CAN get70ish supply by 8 min still, and can always get super fast roach speed or infestors for allins.



I challenge you to get >70 supply while getting a 6min lair+infestation pit+roach warren+lingspeed


opened up 15p16h16ovie

I have a bug where my game starts 10-12 seconds late and i still got 70 supply at 7:33 with a 6:00 double gas, 6:45 evo and 6:45 roach warren. Ling speed first 100 gas then lair started with 2nd 100 gas around 7:25. Roach warren is 90% complete.

Granted im only on 2 gas for the moment. 7:45 2 more gas and a 5th gas at 9:00 led to a 10:55 roach maxout on 73 drones 5 gas, +1 range attack, roach speed, ling speed 3 hatch 3 queen.

This is most ideal scenerio ofcourse where i dont have to scout or build earlygame lings vs AI (i skipped the 1 set at begining that throws off things a little, tho i delayed my 3rd hatch slightly 15 seconds.

Just saying your timings might be somewhat off
Don't forget to get everyone you know to play HOTS so this game we love called Starcraft will live on. Every little bit helps. ^^
Crypdos
Profile Joined December 2011
Netherlands110 Posts
August 28 2012 19:52 GMT
#79
On August 29 2012 04:29 TheGreenMachine wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 28 2012 21:00 Crypdos wrote:
On August 28 2012 20:34 abefroman wrote:
I can get some replays going. But you CAN get70ish supply by 8 min still, and can always get super fast roach speed or infestors for allins.



I challenge you to get >70 supply while getting a 6min lair+infestation pit+roach warren+lingspeed


opened up 15p16h16ovie

I have a bug where my game starts 10-12 seconds late and i still got 70 supply at 7:33 with a 6:00 double gas, 6:45 evo and 6:45 roach warren. Ling speed first 100 gas then lair started with 2nd 100 gas around 7:25. Roach warren is 90% complete.

Granted im only on 2 gas for the moment. 7:45 2 more gas and a 5th gas at 9:00 led to a 10:55 roach maxout on 73 drones 5 gas, +1 range attack, roach speed, ling speed 3 hatch 3 queen.

This is most ideal scenerio ofcourse where i dont have to scout or build earlygame lings vs AI (i skipped the 1 set at begining that throws off things a little, tho i delayed my 3rd hatch slightly 15 seconds.

Just saying your timings might be somewhat off


I was replying to the guy saying he got a 6min lair+infestation pit etc, while reaching 70ish supply at 8min. Your build is pretty much the "standard" 3hatch roach, except you get 5gas which is fine if you can drone like a madman. Good input nonetheless
AdrianHealey
Profile Joined January 2011
Belgium480 Posts
August 28 2012 19:55 GMT
#80
On August 29 2012 04:28 Mavvie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 29 2012 04:21 AdrianHealey wrote:
I just tried ultra-roach in a custom game, where the opponent skipped colossus. Worked pretty good. Totally not representative of anything, but I'll try it more often.

Ultralisks tank and deal damage while roaches just do damage.

The funny thing is that roaches are also designed to tank damage, not deal it. Ultra/hydra synergizes okay, but nothing is as good as ultra/ling/bane with infestor support. Roaches don't synergize well. Surprised it worked, and also ultras counter colossus, or are at least decent against them.


I am not sure why you would say it doesn't synergize; because both roach and ultra tank pretty well - and is relatively mobile - you have a great synergy. Ultra-hydra doesn't really leave you the option of retreating.

Ultra/ling/bane gets raped by good storms (or at least: that's my experience; but again, the level isn't worth mentioning. It's only diamond.)

There were, obviously, also zerglings into the mix in that army.
I love.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 8h 34m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 61
Nina 21
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 12230
Rain 2158
Artosis 552
White-Ra 188
Dewaltoss 8
Dota 2
monkeys_forever698
NeuroSwarm155
League of Legends
Doublelift4261
Counter-Strike
taco 321
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox1685
ArmadaUGS524
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1199
WinterStarcraft444
Other Games
summit1g8617
Day[9].tv694
shahzam650
JimRising 588
Maynarde158
ViBE151
C9.Mang0104
PiGStarcraft91
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick923
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream136
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 123
• davetesta36
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Scarra1152
• Day9tv694
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
8h 34m
OSC
11h 34m
Stellar Fest
11h 34m
OSC
22h 34m
Stellar Fest
1d 11h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.