• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:43
CEST 01:43
KST 08:43
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)53Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9162 users

[H] As T, all on one hotkey or seperate?

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Normal
Anthonie
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Netherlands220 Posts
April 01 2012 12:06 GMT
#1
This is something I see on some streams. I usually do CCs on 4, rax on 5, fax on 6 and starports on 7. And during my macrocycle I do 4ss, 5aaa, 6s and 7d or something along those lines.

What I see on some streams is people doing 4ss, 5aaa tab s tab d. I'm not really sure what seems better. Is it a matter of personal preference, or is one method superior over the other?
where_
Profile Joined July 2011
Australia53 Posts
April 01 2012 12:10 GMT
#2
It's just preference. Use whatever feels most comfortable and easiest to you.

I do 4 cc, 5 rax, 6 fact + port, because I find it awkward to reach for the 7 key.
Gamegene
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States8308 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-01 12:13:08
April 01 2012 12:12 GMT
#3
Some Terrans prefer to have seperate hotkey groups for different buildings so they can have different rally points for different units (faster). Other players just want to keep it simple and keep everything on one hotkey.

It's just whatever you're most comfortable with. I personally put all my buildings on one hotkey and control click for rally points.
Throw on your favorite jacket and you're good to roll. Stroll through the trees and let your miseries go.
BoB_KiLLeR
Profile Joined September 2010
Spain620 Posts
April 01 2012 12:12 GMT
#4
It depends if it's easier for you if you use tab or if you use several ctrl groups.
catatoni
Profile Joined December 2011
Finland23 Posts
April 01 2012 12:14 GMT
#5
On April 01 2012 21:10 where_ wrote:
It's just preference. Use whatever feels most comfortable and easiest to you.

I do 4 cc, 5 rax, 6 fact + port, because I find it awkward to reach for the 7 key.


I do it exactly the same, units are 1-3. Main army 1, casters 2 , 3 drops
Anthonie
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Netherlands220 Posts
April 01 2012 12:14 GMT
#6
I'm not really sure, I do often find the 7 key awkward to reach. But the thing about the rally points is important too. Lategame you probably want everything rallied to one point, but early game you want to rally your banshee to your other banshee, your hellions to your hellions etc etc.

I'm kind of confused on what to use.
Mowr
Profile Joined November 2010
Sweden791 Posts
April 01 2012 12:15 GMT
#7
A matter of taste. I like them separate because it's nice to put ebays on barracks key and armories on factory key.
I too think 7 is a bit too far to be comfortable for something that needs to be pressed so often. My setup is:

CapsLock: CC
4. Barracks
5. Starports
6. Factories
Kill one man and they'll call you a murderer. Kill an army of men and they'll call you a general. But kill all men and they'll call you a god.
Yello
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Germany7411 Posts
April 01 2012 12:15 GMT
#8
It's personal preference. I personally had problems with adding new buildings to control group 6 and 7 because I had to stretch my hand way to far to press control+7 or shift+7. It made me feel uncomfortable so I changed it to rax, fac, starport on 5 and rebound the button left to the 1 (^° on german keyboard, don't know the english layout) to control group 0.
For me that feels way more comfortable and easy to reach.
Just ahead of time, know your addiction's not a crime. It's just a smaller part of who you want to become in the end.
vBr
Profile Joined July 2011
Sweden193 Posts
April 01 2012 12:15 GMT
#9
I used to have all 3, but felt that macro cycle of 4-5-6 was too shit. takes too much and you gotto move your hand, I compiled factory + starport into 5 now so just 4-5 and got cc on mouse4
ErrantMind
Profile Joined March 2012
United States63 Posts
April 01 2012 12:15 GMT
#10
My guess is this should be posted in Simple Questions Simple Answers

Its 1 button push away, if youre cycling through all your prodcution structures, but if you want to build from your port only, youre adding 2 buttons before youre producing.

I can also see the case made that pressing 7 takes your hand away from its natural resting place and that may slow you down too.

bottom line, what feels right to you. Try out the other method, if you like it great, if not go back to what works.
Anthonie
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Netherlands220 Posts
April 01 2012 12:17 GMT
#11
Yeah, thats exactly what felt so weird about it. Your hand is centered around the 12345, QWERT side of your keyboard, and reaching for 7 often just uncenters it. It feels like tab is much more centered around the way the hand is placed.

ZenithM
Profile Joined February 2011
France15952 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-01 12:19:16
April 01 2012 12:18 GMT
#12
I tried both and I prefer one hotkey with tab method. It helps you have a more instant look at your production imo. I have a tendency to tab to my production very fast between my move commands with my army, I couldn't do that with 3-4 different control groups. Plus MMA and MKP, my favorite Terrans, do this too, so it's all cool :D

Edit: I forgot one of the most important point also. It keeps your hand on the left side on your keyboard without forcing you to allocate 5-6-7 to buildings
Anthonie
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Netherlands220 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-01 12:24:25
April 01 2012 12:23 GMT
#13
On April 01 2012 21:18 ZenithM wrote:
I tried both and I prefer one hotkey with tab method. It helps you have a more instant look at your production imo. I have a tendency to tab to my production very fast between my move commands with my army, I couldn't do that with 3-4 different control groups. Plus MMA and MKP, my favorite Terrans, do this too, so it's all cool :D

Edit: I forgot one of the most important point also. It keeps your hand on the left side on your keyboard without forcing you to allocate 5-6-7 to buildings


Oooh! This was the decider for me. I also like having a more instant look at all my facilities, and MKP is my favorite terran too! So I'm convinced that this is a good strat. I'll try this from now on for a few games.

Also your edit was exactly was I meant. It feels like 6 and 7 off-center your hand too much.

Thanks ZenithM, your post helped a lot. ^^

EDIT: But it seems like a waste to not use hotkeys from 6 and on. Are those for extra army groups like drops and harassing?
Sianos
Profile Joined April 2011
580 Posts
April 01 2012 12:34 GMT
#14
It depends on how much you want to move your left hand. Usually you have 1-3 for your army, 4 ccs and then 5,6,7 for production or just 5 for production. You have to move up your hand in order to reach 6,7 and then you have to move it back. For me this resulted in having some idle time in my factories, starport, so i decided to stick with all my production on 5. It´s just easier to have it on one hotkey and you can see every building at once.
Anthonie
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Netherlands220 Posts
April 01 2012 12:36 GMT
#15
On April 01 2012 21:34 Sianos wrote:
It depends on how much you want to move your left hand. Usually you have 1-3 for your army, 4 ccs and then 5,6,7 for production or just 5 for production. You have to move up your hand in order to reach 6,7 and then you have to move it back. For me this resulted in having some idle time in my factories, starport, so i decided to stick with all my production on 5. It´s just easier to have it on one hotkey and you can see every building at once.


Yeah, I totally agree on compacting hotkeys to the area your hand can instantly cover, but isn't it a waste to just leave all other hotkeys after 6 open? I can see 6 being used for all tech labs of the various buildings and 7 for ebays and armorys, I guess, since you don't have to constantly change those tabs like you have to see your production.
huehuehuehue
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Estonia455 Posts
April 01 2012 12:37 GMT
#16
On April 01 2012 21:23 Anthonie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 01 2012 21:18 ZenithM wrote:
I tried both and I prefer one hotkey with tab method. It helps you have a more instant look at your production imo. I have a tendency to tab to my production very fast between my move commands with my army, I couldn't do that with 3-4 different control groups. Plus MMA and MKP, my favorite Terrans, do this too, so it's all cool :D

Edit: I forgot one of the most important point also. It keeps your hand on the left side on your keyboard without forcing you to allocate 5-6-7 to buildings


Oooh! This was the decider for me. I also like having a more instant look at all my facilities, and MKP is my favorite terran too! So I'm convinced that this is a good strat. I'll try this from now on for a few games.

Also your edit was exactly was I meant. It feels like 6 and 7 off-center your hand too much.

Thanks ZenithM, your post helped a lot. ^^

EDIT: But it seems like a waste to not use hotkeys from 6 and on. Are those for extra army groups like drops and harassing?

Use them for ebays and drops then i guess. I prefer to have my buildings on different hotkeys, because imo it's easier to go 4y6y7y than 5taby5taby5taby.
HaXXspetten
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Sweden15718 Posts
April 01 2012 12:55 GMT
#17
Stacking them together reduces the amount of hotkeys required, meaning you can use the others for more stuff, and also it's easier to reach for your fingers. On the other hand, it can be considered a bit more awkward to handle it that way.

Just a matter of preference, do whatever floats your boat really.
Sianos
Profile Joined April 2011
580 Posts
April 01 2012 12:57 GMT
#18
On April 01 2012 21:36 Anthonie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 01 2012 21:34 Sianos wrote:
It depends on how much you want to move your left hand. Usually you have 1-3 for your army, 4 ccs and then 5,6,7 for production or just 5 for production. You have to move up your hand in order to reach 6,7 and then you have to move it back. For me this resulted in having some idle time in my factories, starport, so i decided to stick with all my production on 5. It´s just easier to have it on one hotkey and you can see every building at once.


Yeah, I totally agree on compacting hotkeys to the area your hand can instantly cover, but isn't it a waste to just leave all other hotkeys after 6 open? I can see 6 being used for all tech labs of the various buildings and 7 for ebays and armorys, I guess, since you don't have to constantly change those tabs like you have to see your production.


Sure the best thing is to use every hotkey from 0-9 and every location hotkey. But if you want to use all, you have to move either your left hand or your right hand from your mouse. It´s just prefference and i said, that just using the hotkeys 1-5 is easier to handle, than using every hotkey.
where_
Profile Joined July 2011
Australia53 Posts
April 01 2012 15:08 GMT
#19
On April 01 2012 21:36 Anthonie wrote:
Yeah, I totally agree on compacting hotkeys to the area your hand can instantly cover, but isn't it a waste to just leave all other hotkeys after 6 open? I can see 6 being used for all tech labs of the various buildings and 7 for ebays and armorys, I guess, since you don't have to constantly change those tabs like you have to see your production.

Put things you don't constantly use on the other hotkeys. I have ebay + armoury on 8, and in TvZ my supply depot wall on 0.
iAmJeffReY
Profile Joined August 2010
United States4262 Posts
April 01 2012 16:44 GMT
#20
It's preference. I'm weird, my rax are on 09, fac 7 port 6 5 CC's 123 army 4 ghost academies for nukes, 8 ebay/armory if i remember.
Unbiased biased terran abuser Jeffrey. Sorry for the rage, friend!
teddyoojo
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
Germany22369 Posts
April 01 2012 16:48 GMT
#21
i have the bad habit i took from wc3
i had spirit lodge 3 beastiary 4 and rax 5 and army 1 and 2. but know i have army 1 cc 2 starport 3 fax 4 rax 5 ebay 6 and cant change it t-t
Esports historian since 2000. Creator of 'The Universe' and 'The best scrambled Eggs 2013'. Host of 'Star Wars Marathon 2015'. Thinker of 'teddyoojo's Thoughts'. Earths and Moons leading CS:GO expert. Lord of the Rings.
lorkac
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States2297 Posts
April 01 2012 16:52 GMT
#22
Assuming perfect execution--seperate is better. If you don't have perfect execution, one hotkey is better because you make less mistakes.
By the truth we are undone. Life is a dream. Tis waking that kills us. He who robs us of our dreams robs us of our life --Orlando: A Biography
sapht
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Sweden141 Posts
April 01 2012 17:00 GMT
#23
Nobody going BW-style? Screen hotkey for production, put all buildings in a nice grid to macro easier. I do this, coupled with "everything on 4", so I can quickly check is a building is not producing, and in that case start another cycle when I have the APM. I find it much easier to not overqueue when doing this, if you for example have 8 rax 2 facts and 1 port...
You can use control groups to train units without even looking at your base.
oZe
Profile Joined January 2011
Sweden492 Posts
April 01 2012 17:12 GMT
#24
I have 4 sidebuttons on mouse(xai) which I bind to 7890. Use for hatch,barracks,robo & stargate. It's kinda imbalanced that protoss gets 10% extra extra hotkeys with W ^^ Actually should be a key for all hatches, barracks and stuff.

I also go BW style where I rally my harvesters next to my minerals and then put them on manually. It's really good against banking to much minerals and to quickly find a builder for structures =)
The worst kinds of organized crime are religion & government.
dawid101w
Profile Joined May 2011
Poland3 Posts
April 01 2012 17:19 GMT
#25
as terran i use: QWE - for army, 1 - starport, 2 - factory, 3 - rax, 4 - cc, 5 - eng, 6 - armory, 7 - academy.
vnlegend
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
United States1389 Posts
April 01 2012 17:24 GMT
#26
It's better for me if all the production buildings are in 1 hotkey as you can see if they're all producing at a quick glance.
Marines > everything
Odds
Profile Joined May 2008
Canada1188 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-03 19:33:22
April 03 2012 19:22 GMT
#27
I think the problem with the idea that '3 hotkeys is better because it's less keystrokes to hit all your production - and therefore you do it faster' is a bit flawed.
Less strokes, yes, but the total distance moved by fingers counts too. 6 and 7 are far away from the normal army hotkeys, and so switching back to army selection and usage after macroing will be a fraction of a second slower.

I prefer to have all production on 1 key for simplicity *and* speed, because I think there is a way to make 1 hotkey faster than 3, in addition to the obvious rally advantages and being able to see all production at the same time.

Just put the 'tab' function on the middle mouse button. Now you can use your right hand (which you weren't using while macroing anyway) to speed up your left hand.

Also, this frees up the 2 keys for something else, like upgrades or the supply depot door for when you see a mass of lings careening towards your nat on your minimap.
Odds.633, AM. Plat level currently. Would love more practice partners, add me, let's play!
StarZeph
Profile Joined January 2011
United States14 Posts
April 05 2012 03:45 GMT
#28
I reall don't like reaching for stuff, so I have mine on TGBY...if you're used to 7 I would just stay with that, but you could always move your 0 hotkey over to Y or something if you would rather have your finger's not move quite as far.
Dreamlike
Profile Joined April 2011
United States33 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-05 04:18:48
April 05 2012 04:17 GMT
#29
This is certainly an issue based on personal preference and what feels "right". The biggest issue when it comes to throwing your barracks, factory, and starport on one hotkey is the tab button. If you're someone who is able to utilize the tab button quickly and efficiently then perhaps the one hotkey method is for you. MarineKing and SeleCt are great examples of players who use this method (I believe they do).

Just find some method that you can get use to and go from there. Something that can be appealing to your eye as well as get the job done when it's time to macro.

Here's mine:
1. Initial building worker/ground units
2. Initial scouting worker/casting units
3. Command Centers
4. Barracks
5. Factorys
6. Starports
7. Nothing
8. Nothing
9. Engineering Bay/Armory
0. Engineering Bay/Armory

Idle Worker: Mouse Button 4
F1. Main Base
F2. Natural Base
F3. Third Base
F4. Closest Watch Tower
Base Camera: W

Hope that helps. GL

If InControl is a progamer then please shoot me...
-Exalt-
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States972 Posts
April 05 2012 04:32 GMT
#30
IMO to play at a high level you're going to need different rally points for each building (dono if thats possible with all one hotkey).

i would always always always at least recommend your starport to be on a seperate hotkey. A lot of the time you want your medivacs rallied to eachother (and vikings) since they're air. Factory can go on the same as barracks. So I use when playing terran: 1-CC's/2,3,5 army hotkeys/ 4 barracks + factory / 6 starport. Cause IMO you need at least 3 hotkeys for your army, and with this setup you don't have to use the awkward 7 key.
jabberjaw
Profile Joined October 2010
225 Posts
April 05 2012 04:42 GMT
#31
all one one hotkey, in my case "4". I can see if there's prdocution on my rax/fact/starport and can rally all my productions buildings to a single spot. i use to have 3 different hotkeys for my production and then saw select have it all on one hot key and just copied him.
IMoperator
Profile Joined October 2011
4476 Posts
April 05 2012 04:48 GMT
#32
imo, it's easier to have it on separate hotkeys and not have to tab through all production buildings to produce. I also have a pretty unique hotkey setup:
1 - rax
2 - CC's
3- facts
4 - starports
5-0 army
ThunderBum
Profile Joined November 2010
Australia192 Posts
April 05 2012 04:59 GMT
#33
I use
1 - CCs
2 - rax
3 - facts
~ - ports (rebound from 0)
4 - army
5 - army/harass
w - spellcasters (rebound from 9)
6 - harass units
7 - ebays
8 - armories

I played a lot of shooters before coming to SC2 so my hand bouncing over the wasd area and close by numbers is very natural to me. Reaching over towards 9 and 0 I find is too time consuming, and honestly why bother when you can just move the hotkeys to where you want them.
sircuddles
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada91 Posts
April 05 2012 04:59 GMT
#34
While having them all on the same hotkey does mean you have to tab, it also means you don't have to press 3 buttons to view your production status. It's obviously a personal preference thing, but I think the gains from seeing production easier and with less keystrokes outweigh any potential 'extra' button presses.

If you want your Starports to have a different rally point, you can always set them to their own hotkey. I think at high levels (Masters+), separate keys is probably the best option. I'm only Gold, but I just switched from 3, 4, 5 production keys to 4 (Rax/Fact/SP) and 5 (CCs) and I much prefer it. I think for lower level players it's the better option, because it's easier to see your macro at a glance.
thezanursic
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
5504 Posts
April 05 2012 05:23 GMT
#35
3 Factory 4 Raxx 5 CC 6 Starport 7 Engy&Armory
1 2 and Q are my army.
http://i45.tinypic.com/9j2cdc.jpg Let it be so!
Steelo_Rivers
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States1968 Posts
April 05 2012 05:35 GMT
#36
I usethem all seperate. its all just based off of what you like and how comfortable you are with them like that.

My hotkeys are as follows:

1 CC's
2 Rax
3 Main army
4 Factory
5 Starport
6 Drops
7 E-bay
8 Armory
9 Ghosts
0 whatever i feel like i need to put there (ghost academy, tech labs, fusion core, etc.......)

I have big fast hands so i can get away with alot of it.
ok
S_SienZ
Profile Joined September 2011
1878 Posts
April 05 2012 05:47 GMT
#37
My current set-up:

1 Infantry
2 Tanks / Vikings
Spacebar Spellcasters
3 Factory
4 Rax
5 Starport
6 CC
Q Ebay
W Armory

Sajaki
Profile Joined June 2011
Canada1135 Posts
April 05 2012 05:57 GMT
#38
On April 01 2012 21:23 Anthonie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 01 2012 21:18 ZenithM wrote:
I tried both and I prefer one hotkey with tab method. It helps you have a more instant look at your production imo. I have a tendency to tab to my production very fast between my move commands with my army, I couldn't do that with 3-4 different control groups. Plus MMA and MKP, my favorite Terrans, do this too, so it's all cool :D

Edit: I forgot one of the most important point also. It keeps your hand on the left side on your keyboard without forcing you to allocate 5-6-7 to buildings


Oooh! This was the decider for me. I also like having a more instant look at all my facilities, and MKP is my favorite terran too! So I'm convinced that this is a good strat. I'll try this from now on for a few games.

Also your edit was exactly was I meant. It feels like 6 and 7 off-center your hand too much.

Thanks ZenithM, your post helped a lot. ^^

EDIT: But it seems like a waste to not use hotkeys from 6 and on. Are those for extra army groups like drops and harassing?


I use 6 for Engi bays, 7 for Techlab, 9 and 0 for Ghost academies. Something like that may work for you too.
Inno pls...
lorkac
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States2297 Posts
April 05 2012 06:31 GMT
#39
~ Engineering Bay/Armory (I rebound 0 to ~)
1 CC
2 Rax, Factory, Starport
3-4 army

I use spacebar (I rebound backspace) to cycle through the armory since I always build it beside a CC.

I wish there was a good place to rebind 6-9 to so that they're easier to reach.
By the truth we are undone. Life is a dream. Tis waking that kills us. He who robs us of our dreams robs us of our life --Orlando: A Biography
symtab
Profile Joined September 2010
Romania11 Posts
April 05 2012 06:39 GMT
#40
I use separate for everything:
1 - Main Army
2 - Drops (or harass)
q - vikings (or harass/drops) rebound from 9
w - ghosts rebound from 0
3 - css
4 - baracks
5 - factories
6 - starports
7 - whatever upgrade i have going (usually tech labs on baracks and factories)
8 - engi bays/armory
Stow.Wif
Profile Joined April 2011
France67 Posts
April 05 2012 07:21 GMT
#41
The problem with all production on one hotkey is that while tabbing you get rax/fact/port in this order while you may want to queue tank/air before queuing your bio to ensure constant tank production (depending on your available ressources and on the matchup).

I often find myself hitting 5 (all production) then tab to get to the fact, then begin to queue using tab, thus doing one more keystroke.
Monkay
Profile Joined January 2011
Germany19 Posts
April 05 2012 07:22 GMT
#42
On April 05 2012 16:21 Stow.Wif wrote:
The problem with all production on one hotkey is that while tabbing you get rax/fact/port in this order while you may want to queue tank/air before queuing your bio to ensure constant tank production (depending on your available ressources and on the matchup).

I often find myself hitting 5 (all production) then tab to get to the fact, then begin to queue using tab, thus doing one more keystroke.


You need 2 presses less to see if you are producing or not
lorkac
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States2297 Posts
April 05 2012 07:33 GMT
#43
Putting all buildings in one hotkey is a bad way to keep tabs on production since you can't actually see how soon the unit will finish without clicking on one of the building's unit frames.

Saying that--I still put everything on one hotkey.
By the truth we are undone. Life is a dream. Tis waking that kills us. He who robs us of our dreams robs us of our life --Orlando: A Biography
Monkay
Profile Joined January 2011
Germany19 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-05 07:38:51
April 05 2012 07:38 GMT
#44
On April 05 2012 16:33 lorkac wrote:
Putting all buildings in one hotkey is a bad way to keep tabs on production since you can't actually see how soon the unit will finish without clicking on one of the building's unit frames.

Saying that--I still put everything on one hotkey.


If you hotkey more than 2 buildings to the same key you can't see the progression either, the benefit of all on one hotkey is that you see all your production at once and don't need to tab to see if you are producing or not.
polybios
Profile Joined December 2010
Czech Republic111 Posts
April 05 2012 09:01 GMT
#45
is there any specific reason to have army on 123, production on 456 and not the other way around?
Rannasha
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Netherlands2398 Posts
April 05 2012 09:06 GMT
#46
On April 05 2012 18:01 polybios wrote:
is there any specific reason to have army on 123, production on 456 and not the other way around?


Only reasons I can imagine is that the important army-specific keys are closer to 123. For example: A and Shift, the two buttons you'll probably use the most for your army with the default hotkey setup.
Such flammable little insects!
Yoshi Kirishima
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States10382 Posts
April 05 2012 09:21 GMT
#47
I use one for each 5 CC 6 fact 7 starport 8 depot or barracks for ghosts like in TvP, 9 armory 10 ebay

if playing bio, i go 4 cc 5 rax 6 fact etc... with bio you don't need as many hotkeys, 1 for MMM 2 for ghost/viking 3 for ghost/viking, mech you need 1 for thor/ghost, 2 for hellion, 3 for tank, 4 for air army... or you can put thor and tank on 3 and just ghost on 1, or change it up, you can put viking on 3 with tanks and put banshee/raven with 1 for thors, 2 for hellion, 4 for ghost, etc. etc.

at least that's what I do
Mid-master streaming MECH ONLY + commentary www.twitch.tv/yoshikirishima +++ "If all-in fails, all-in again."
rikter
Profile Joined November 2010
United States352 Posts
April 05 2012 14:51 GMT
#48
Before I get into All on one hotkey vs multiple, there is something important that you guys are missing: You can re-map your control groups to other keys. Because seven and on are so hard to press, I have them mapped to letters that are closer. If you can't reach a key easily then you need to map it somewhere closer. I am making a separate post on this, which details what I think is the most efficient set-up possible: the Semi-grid.

As far as how I group my buildings, all my CC's are one group, all my unit making buildings are on another, upgrades are on a third. I prefer having all the production buildings on one key because 1) Its one button to see all the buildings and 2) Tabbing through your different building types serves as a reminder to produce units from them.

When I had the buildings separate keys I found that when things got hectic I had a harder time maintaining a proper composition because I wasn't hitting my cycles properly; some building or another might get missed so I'd wind up with a less than ideal army. With all buildings on one group, its easier to consider your total production; you can easily see with one click that a certain building isnt producing, instead of checking each group separately. I find this is especially helpful when youre building units that have significantly different build times. Basically, whenever you go to build a unit you also check on the other buildings, which can be a nice reminder for a newer player trying to stay on top of his macro, although the fact that it is very efficient makes it ideal for any player I think.
No one wants a box of shit, even if it is for Christmas.
Warzilla
Profile Joined December 2010
Czech Republic311 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-05 15:06:08
April 05 2012 15:02 GMT
#49
I find it good to have all production buildings in one hotkey when i perform destiny cloud fist build
"AFTER LOST GAME - I usually run around in circles yelling "WHY OH GOD WHY" in my room, pointing towards the sky. After 5 to 10min ,i get tired and go back to playing"
MasonosaM
Profile Joined October 2010
United States74 Posts
April 05 2012 15:45 GMT
#50
I started with 5cc 4 all production and then tried out 4 cc 5 rax 6 fact 7 star for a couple months to see what I liked better. It was nice to be able to rally a production facility where you wanted it separately, but I found myself making more mistakes in macro because I wasn't as precise because of the reach for 6/7. I went back to 5cc 4 production because i find it more ergonomic to macro. That being said I think something like 3cc 4/5/6 might have been the ticket, but 5cc 4 production words well enough for me.
X
Kiwiandapple
Profile Joined March 2011
Belgium240 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-05 17:00:11
April 05 2012 15:45 GMT
#51
I myself use 4 for production structures; 1 for cc/upgrades, 2/3 for army 6/7/8 rehotkeyd for special groups/drops.

Aswell I rehotkey'd the production hotkey for marine and medivac to S. so i can go quickly truough my unit making 'route' by just hitting 4 SSS tab S tab SS (marine/tank/medivac)

this is all preference; i think Select doesn't even use 2/3 at all. just because its odd for his fingers. so just figure things out yourself.
Don't worry, that's halo!
Kiwiandapple
Profile Joined March 2011
Belgium240 Posts
April 05 2012 15:49 GMT
#52
On April 06 2012 00:45 MasonosaM wrote:
I started with 5cc 4 all production and then tried out 4 cc 5 rax 6 fact 7 star for a couple months to see what I liked better. It was nice to be able to rally a production facility where you wanted it separately, but I found myself making more mistakes in macro because I wasn't as precise because of the reach for 6/7. I went back to 5cc 4 production because i find it more ergonomic to macro. That being said I think something like 3cc 4/5/6 might have been the ticket, but 5cc 4 production words well enough for me.


You can with all production on 1 hotkey still rally 1 structure by just hitting 4 then clicking on the building you want to rally elsewhere; i do this sometimes just for my starport; when i move out; set the medivacs to join while the rest just goes to my natural; so i get more medivacs into the fight while still fighting;
Don't worry, that's halo!
IMoperator
Profile Joined October 2011
4476 Posts
April 05 2012 19:23 GMT
#53
On April 05 2012 18:06 Rannasha wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 05 2012 18:01 polybios wrote:
is there any specific reason to have army on 123, production on 456 and not the other way around?


Only reasons I can imagine is that the important army-specific keys are closer to 123. For example: A and Shift, the two buttons you'll probably use the most for your army with the default hotkey setup.

IMO, it's better to use 1234 for production because you're hitting buttons around that area more often then you are a-clicking. Plus hitting 5a (i keep my main army on 5, ghosts on 6) seems easier than 1a.
vorxaw
Profile Joined April 2011
Canada245 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-05 23:43:09
April 05 2012 23:42 GMT
#54
On April 01 2012 21:37 huehuehuehue wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 01 2012 21:23 Anthonie wrote:
On April 01 2012 21:18 ZenithM wrote:
I tried both and I prefer one hotkey with tab method. It helps you have a more instant look at your production imo. I have a tendency to tab to my production very fast between my move commands with my army, I couldn't do that with 3-4 different control groups. Plus MMA and MKP, my favorite Terrans, do this too, so it's all cool :D

Edit: I forgot one of the most important point also. It keeps your hand on the left side on your keyboard without forcing you to allocate 5-6-7 to buildings


Oooh! This was the decider for me. I also like having a more instant look at all my facilities, and MKP is my favorite terran too! So I'm convinced that this is a good strat. I'll try this from now on for a few games.

Also your edit was exactly was I meant. It feels like 6 and 7 off-center your hand too much.

Thanks ZenithM, your post helped a lot. ^^

EDIT: But it seems like a waste to not use hotkeys from 6 and on. Are those for extra army groups like drops and harassing?

Use them for ebays and drops then i guess. I prefer to have my buildings on different hotkeys, because imo it's easier to go 4y6y7y than 5taby5taby5taby.

well it would actually by 5ytabytaby same six key presses at 4y5y6y,
but i, like you, use the all separate method just because of the rally freedom,

for those that use grid, or modified grid, or dark grid, just make 6/7/8 into t/g/b, so your control groups wrap around so to speak,
T0fuuu
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Australia2275 Posts
April 06 2012 06:25 GMT
#55
You can make custom hotkeys. Theres no reason why you cant remap some keys and use `12345567 qw capslock
Normal
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 17m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SpeCial 148
Vindicta 24
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 10179
Artosis 623
Rain 429
Bale 16
League of Legends
Doublelift4008
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox930
Mew2King145
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor952
Other Games
summit1g9307
shahzam603
JimRising 579
Day[9].tv471
PiGStarcraft140
ArmadaUGS86
NeuroSwarm73
ViBE55
C9.Mang011
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV202
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream88
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 48
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 41
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie764
• Scarra548
• Day9tv471
• Shiphtur189
Upcoming Events
OSC
17m
Stellar Fest
13h 17m
OSC
22h 17m
CranKy Ducklings
1d 10h
Online Event
1d 11h
FEL
1d 16h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 17h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 19h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.