• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:13
CEST 13:13
KST 20:13
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8905 users

[H] How to beat mass archon? - Page 3

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 All
TolEranceNA
Profile Joined April 2011
Canada434 Posts
November 14 2011 07:30 GMT
#41
Now, this is the type of thread that we don't need more of.

Ask for advice -> Gets good Advice -> Denies

Listen to the better player, play better, macro better, make better decision instead of denying about how bad you played -_-
Arotsis:"Nestea, what do you think about Zerg?" Nestea:"...Sad."
Belial88
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States5217 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-14 08:45:03
November 14 2011 08:42 GMT
#42
Honestly Belial, most of your 'help' threads seem to simply be excuses to whine about Protoss being imbalanced.


Not really... I have a question about something I've never seen before, that is all.

So you know, roaches are more efficient against zealots than banelings are both in gas and larva cost. I'm not sure what you saw to prompt a baneling nest, but I rewatched the reply and you knew he had DTs and 3 zealots and a phoenix before your baneling nest finished. I think you should have cancelled it and focused on making roaches. Lings are good for things other than morphing into banelings.


That makes sense, I'll keep that in mind. I think banes are good in general against protoss, and so I figured they would be even better against a heavy zealot composition. They did do well, but I learn now that roaches would've done fine too, and handled the archons better.

I think you should try to figure out what the minimum amount of spines you need to hold an attack that you reinforce.


For zero units, 3 spines is needed for 3 gate pressure. I decided upon ~5 to deal with possible blink. I think I should've made the 3, and waited until I got concrete evidence of what he was doing to make more (and, if they are better still than units, as it would likely be late enough I'll have 50 drones anyways). I'll be conscious of this next time.

I don't disagree with the 3 spine bit, but I think it is more effective to put down 1 spine and a roach warren then make roaches if an attack comes. If you made a 12-16 lings you could have easily delayed the opponent's expansion. If you make spines only, then your opponent can easily take his bases (in this game it was two bases). You have more economy with this route because your spines are drones and your units are delaying the opponent's economy or haven't been built yet. Instead of spending money on those spines in this game, you could have spent it on lings and drones, or lings and roaches if the attack came. Either way you'd be ahead but you can't make that decision with your style.


Interesting.

Next time I think I'm ahead, like I did in this game, I'll resort to units instead of spines. Regardless of what's better, I'm so ahead right, why not? And I'll need to deny his third. My thinking was "im ahead, it doesn't matter how many spines I put to hold off his aggressive/all-in build". I think now on I'll change it to "I'm ahead, so I'll make units instead of spines"

Thanks, that's useful.

What I meant by this is that if you know what your composition is going to be before you get into the game, then you are limiting yourself. There is no 'staple' composition in ZvP because Protoss can throw a lot of different things against you. If you can't get out of this mindset, then your 'staple' composition is drones, overlords and lings for scouting and backstabbing.


Interesting. I think you are right.

I just think you're really hung up on this Morrow style because it was on a Day[9] and you're not thinking very clearly about when it is and isn't effective.


I didn't know it was on day9, I'll check it out. I haven't watched day9 in over a year, and I knew morrow started to like ling/bane around when I made a guide about it (shortly before infestor buff) and made it my own style. I didn't go banelingrain because I saw someone else do it, I did it because I saw problems with roach/hydra/corruptor in ZvP and I think hydras are never worth making besides for all-ins or in ZvZ in short distance, wide open maps like dual sight (i think only dual sight actually). This is all irrelevant though.


Complaining about the good advice your given won't make your bad play any more viable...


Did I complain about the advice? I had reasons for my play, and despite how terrible everyone thinks I am, I do everything for a reason and do quite well for myself. I explain the reasoning for my questionable moves, and respond to what people say. Thanks for the contribution though.

You clearly started this thread in a tilting mood with the way you shot down suggestions from monk, someone who has a lot of experience with replay analysis, which show's that you're not ready to approach the game with the right attitude.


I didn't shoot down his responses, I appreciate his input. Some of the things he said, like seeing if he had stalkers or not, wasn't clear in the game because I stole his gas, and his third unit was a stalker anyways. Maybe he didn't see that, or maybe I'm wrong and there's something I'm missing that he didn't make clear in his post. I wasn't in a tilted mood, I simply didn't understand what I ran across, and every decision I made had a reason for it.

I think some of the decisions I am being criticized for weren't necessarily wrong in and of themselves, I think I overreacted too many times in this game. I should have been actively upgrading, but 3 evo chambers was too much. I should've made pure drones and no units and relied solely on spines instead of units in the early game, but not in the mid-game, and not with so many spines. I should have scouted the stargates earlier (perhaps earlier overlord speed, I generally am very good about that), and even if I didn't, I should have made spores, just not so many. I could have made corruptors, as I did, but I should've made enough not to get my roaches all lifted up, not so many that I 1-shot all his phoenixes.

You can justify your compositions and choices, but if you choose to believe that you're making the right decisions (no warren before 50, more spines for defense) then you should be prepared to acknowledge that people may not be able to help you in the way you want.


Sure. I could always be doing things wrong, and am glad to focus my opinions/strategies/responses if they are questionable. Making spines instead of units may be controversial, but I was definitely wrong in my execution, and the responses I've gotten have made it clear to me even after I couldn't figure it out when I went over the replay again. While people may say I'm just wrong on the spines part, they have taught me that making spines isn't always the answer as I may have approached it.

I'm sorry if people who have watched the replay and offered advice feel shut down. That's not it at all. I appreciate the input, no matter the level of player or calibre of poster. I'm simply explaining my position, so that it may be more clear what I was trying to do in the game, and perhaps failed the execution of. I don't mean to be disrespectful at all. I'm well aware most people dislike me or think I'm a bad player, and I never said I was good.
How to build a $500 i7-3770K Ultimate Computer:http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=392709 ******** 100% Safe Razorless Delid Method! http://www.overclock.net/t/1376206/how-to-delid-your-ivy-bridge-cpu-with-out-a-razor-blade/0_100
marvellosity
Profile Joined January 2011
United Kingdom36161 Posts
November 14 2011 17:23 GMT
#43
Belial: please don't take this the wrong way, because you're obviously a good player, but from this and other threads I've seen, it appears you have some fundamental misunderstanding of how to play ZvP.

General themes across your help topics are that you overreact or react wrongly to what you see, or you simply try to implement a bad plan. Also it seems you almost always consider yourself to be much more ahead in your games than you actually are, especially economically. Your play has a general whiff of desperation, rather than solid macro play that Zerg excels at in this matchup.

I'm not saying this to randomly criticise, it just feels like you need to fundamentally rethink how you approach ZvP, and also you need to be able to make better reads on your own replays.
[15:15] <Palmar> and yes marv, you're a total hottie
Belial88
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States5217 Posts
November 14 2011 19:21 GMT
#44
I think the problem in this game was my overreactions, and that while I may have been ahead at certain times, there were better decision I could've made (ie instead of just putting down a bunch of spines because im ahead and it doesnt matter I waste the money, it would be better on units, instead of attacking to deny his third I should've taken my own third and teched up, etc).

I was also genuinely confused at the composition, and I should make roaches instead of banes to deal with zealots, and infestors asap to deal with archons.

I think my attack at this third was dumb too, and this will just further reinforce the idea you should never attack as zerg until you have 75 drones (barring obvious vulnerabilities or solid timing all-ins).

I think I was just really, unaware of how to deal with the composition I came across, and the level of play I did was poor in the game, but I was 'ahead' so it wasn't the biggest deal, but the problem was the wrong choices in 'im ahead anyways' kind of things. Like I should've made a super fast lair 'because im ahead anyways so it doesnt matter im cutting drones' instead of just purely droning like normal. I didn't take advantage of certain ... advantages, I suppose.

I think my approach to zvp is pretty good, I was just quite confused on this game when I came across something id never seen before.
How to build a $500 i7-3770K Ultimate Computer:http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=392709 ******** 100% Safe Razorless Delid Method! http://www.overclock.net/t/1376206/how-to-delid-your-ivy-bridge-cpu-with-out-a-razor-blade/0_100
Prev 1 2 3 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
INu's Battles
20:00
INu's Battles#21
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
IntoTheiNu 654
WardiTV184
LiquipediaDiscussion
Afreeca Starleague
19:00
Ro4 Match 2
Soma vs Soulkey
Afreeca ASL 11902
StarCastTV_EN365
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko274
ProTech130
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 14019
Bisu 3836
Jaedong 3580
EffOrt 1139
BeSt 892
ZerO 446
Horang2 436
Pusan 263
Larva 240
actioN 232
[ Show more ]
Zeus 222
Hyun 139
Mind 133
Barracks 87
ggaemo 71
Killer 47
Yoon 47
scan(afreeca) 44
Sharp 43
NotJumperer 38
Bale 35
ToSsGirL 34
Shinee 30
Sacsri 21
Hm[arnc] 21
Sea.KH 15
Terrorterran 13
Noble 9
ajuk12(nOOB) 7
zelot 5
Dota 2
Dendi116
League of Legends
JimRising 377
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1620
byalli776
Other Games
crisheroes247
Pyrionflax175
dupreeh101
Mew2King67
DeMusliM58
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 183
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream58
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 62
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV538
• lizZardDota2282
League of Legends
• Jankos1299
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
12h 47m
Patches Events
1d 4h
The PondCast
1d 22h
INu's Battles
1d 23h
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
5 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.