• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:09
CEST 00:09
KST 07:09
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Recent patches and the Future StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6550 users

[G] TvZ Mech Play Timing Push - Page 2

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
zhengsta
Profile Joined February 2011
United States126 Posts
July 28 2011 20:49 GMT
#21
Hey OP. Really liked the videos and I like your timing push. Although my only question is why the fact opening if you don't plan on doing damage with the first 2 hellions why not just 1 rax FE into double factories?
nonni
Profile Joined March 2011
Denmark13 Posts
July 28 2011 21:05 GMT
#22
i been doing something similar with 4 hellion into expo but never could get any good presure after the initial hellion harras so will definitely try this.

stil do you always go for the banshee-->battlecruisers late game or was it cuz of the heavy roach play from him?
Nothing is as simple as we hope it will be.
TuxThePenguin
Profile Joined March 2011
32 Posts
July 28 2011 21:39 GMT
#23
How does this do vs heavy infestor play with neural?

I would imagine you would need to incorporate atleast some ghosts into your build late game.
Yoshi Kirishima
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States10382 Posts
July 28 2011 21:43 GMT
#24
On July 28 2011 02:55 Crytch wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 27 2011 15:43 Yoshi Kirishima wrote:
o yea u forgot, since u leave at 8:30 it hits right before early mutas too eh?



8.30 is way before early mutas.
Early mutas will pop up at 10-11, but if you harras with hellions the zerg must defend and wont be able to tech that greedy to mutas.

I also play mech in my TvZs and i win most of em.
I never tried this build, but i have to say that you need to add ghosts if your pushs fail more or less early, cause zerg will answer with ifnestors or broodlords to your mechcomposition, and ghosts roflstomp both of em.

GL/HF with mech against zerg, its pure ♥ to see 200 supply zergarmys go down while the mechplayer just loose 10 bf-hellions, 20 supply....cuuuute.


/edit: watched the english youtube video and think you easily won it with your first push if you microd your marines instead of let banelings run into them :D
nice guide, will try it.


Haha thanks.

Yeah, I have given up on air vs BLs while keeping Tanks for the infestors... I just go Ghost with Thor/Hellion, maybe a few tanks, but not "needed" in a 200 vs 200 battle.

Though I tend to open 2 rax so that I can use these later for ghosts, but maybe ill use this push and just add more rax later.
Mid-master streaming MECH ONLY + commentary www.twitch.tv/yoshikirishima +++ "If all-in fails, all-in again."
gillon
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Sweden1578 Posts
July 28 2011 21:59 GMT
#25
On July 28 2011 04:08 Squigly wrote:
This isnt pure mech, its more bio mech, cuz of you know, all the marines. Still not bad.

User was warned for this post


The timing push is kinda biomech, but the followup is pretty much pure mech.
www.teamproperty.net | "You should hate losing, but you should never fear defeat." - 이윤열
Iberville
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada207 Posts
July 28 2011 23:51 GMT
#26
Premièrement, merci pour du contenu francophone. Fort apprécié!

Now a newbie question: what happens if your pushes end horribly, or he techs up to quick infestors and creates havoc, and winds up going broodlords? There aren't any Starports in this build so far.

Thanks
I promise not to make a tasteless joke.
Squigly
Profile Joined February 2011
United Kingdom629 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-29 00:07:20
July 29 2011 00:03 GMT
#27
On July 29 2011 05:00 iAmJeffReY wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 29 2011 01:39 Squigly wrote:
On July 28 2011 04:08 Squigly wrote:
This isnt pure mech, its more bio mech, cuz of you know, all the marines. Still not bad.

User was warned for this post


Ha i got warned for this. Must be some power drunk mod XD

Ive tried this build out and it actually works wonders. Thumbs up.

Dude you're doing nothing but trolling, and adding in the last line of bs 'still great' 'thumbs up it works'

c'mon dude.

Oddly enough, I was watching a TvZ stream the day before you released this of a 1 base marine tank hellion timing push that was almost like this BO to the DOT, sans the FE.

The level of players you used it against aren't slack at all either, which makes it even better. I'm always a fan of marine hellion timing pushes against any race...but to throw in an FE, and 2 fac for tanks as well? As decaf said.. I think any zerg that goes muta just auto losses once those 2 thors pop out and he can't deal with that push.


Lol stop being a douchebag for no reason. Ive made two posts. First one saying how his push isnt actually mech, which has now been established as true. Secondly to say that id tried the build and it works quite well. Both informative posts. Whats your post saying, lets see.

First off your a dick talking about me trolling, nice and informative. Secondly you say you like the build and state the fucking obvious of rush to muta loses. So does rush to brood. Cheers mate. We werent aware thors own mutas. Your comment is so fucking valuable, i suggest a medal.

Also you talk a little about how you watched a stream and someone did a similar build. Awesome mate. Thank you. If they did the same build, and you put some effort into saying what went well and what didnt, might actually be helpful. But no. (A FE changes the build rather a lot )

Thirdly, wait, your post is over. Great job. Super post.

Anyways, ive had issues as stated by others with 2 base baneling busts. Do you happen to have any vids of you beating a 2 base bane bust?

Pam
Profile Joined May 2011
France33 Posts
July 29 2011 00:58 GMT
#28
You should include the factory reactor expand build order too because I don't really know it.

I will change this topic in a more teamliquid way (with a lot of spoilers) as soon as I have the time and the will, otherwise
10 supply
12 barrack
15 orbital command
16 marine
Supply as soon as possible
@100% supply, factory
@80% factory, command center
the follow up is detailed in the video

I go with 5 - 8 helions, ~~ 10 marines and two tanks-two svc auto repair

Mass speedling would own this, no?

Until now, I didn't have problem against mass speedling
It's critical to keep your first helions alive, because you'll need them for the push, and clear the map is the z is active with his lings, but 8 BFH is really strong
I don't know the timing of a 2 base baneling bust, but I guess he needs to have control of the map to come with his baneling, so I guess it will be between his lings and my helions

@Tokyla
about baneling landmines
Going burrow as soon as possible is quite an investment at this stage of the game, plus it's really tempting to use a scan near the ennemy's base to kill tumors, so I don't think that's a reliable option.
As for lings and muta countering BFH + thors, I guess it would be doable if the zerg overmacro the terran hard, which is not the case before and after the push

@zhengsta
map control I guess
Another part of the strength of this build, it's how much it looks standard
As long as the z doesn't scout the 2 factory, it looks like a marine tank timing push, which arranges me

@TuxThePenguin
It's situational
In theory, the t has more option and range than the zerg, so he has many options to deal with neural parasite
Until now, I used sieged tanks + banshee to focus fire the infestors, and helions too if there is no lings (splash damage !§)
Ghost helps a lot, I don't have much experience with them though
I have a replay where I use them but it's not really to take into consideration because I won the game with hunter seeker missile
I'll upload the replay nevertheless
+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]


@Iberville
It's really rare that this pushes fails, if it does we're on a equal foot on econ, so I'll have to harass and expand while upgrading and grinding to the 200/200
The starport can be added right after the push, to go drop with helions, plus it helps a lot with thors in battle
With reactor, it's definitely being a step ahead on the late game, vikings against broodlords-corruptors with the support of
Yoshi Kirishima
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States10382 Posts
July 29 2011 02:48 GMT
#29
Dude you're doing nothing but trolling, and adding in the last line of bs 'still great' 'thumbs up it works'

c'mon dude.

Oddly enough, I was watching a TvZ stream the day before you released this of a 1 base marine tank hellion timing push that was almost like this BO to the DOT, sans the FE.

The level of players you used it against aren't slack at all either, which makes it even better. I'm always a fan of marine hellion timing pushes against any race...but to throw in an FE, and 2 fac for tanks as well? As decaf said.. I think any zerg that goes muta just auto losses once those 2 thors pop out and he can't deal with that push.


Stop hating? He didn't hate so you shouldn't either.

Also, Pam has a good point about the Hellions. Many times I get greedy, still thinking that at certain points in the game it is worth it to potentially sacrifice some Hellions to kill drones, but you have to remember when not to sacrifice them. For example, right when you're about to push. You're going to push to do damage anyways, so there's little point trying to kill drones before the push, which will just let any speedlings rape ur thor and/or tank lol.
Mid-master streaming MECH ONLY + commentary www.twitch.tv/yoshikirishima +++ "If all-in fails, all-in again."
mattenno
Profile Joined December 2010
United States26 Posts
July 29 2011 09:19 GMT
#30
what do u do vs mutas? i get muta'd every game with this build. i try to squeeze in a engineering bay and some turrets....but those don't help usually. seems like a reactor on the barracks or something might help...
Pam
Profile Joined May 2011
France33 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-29 11:13:20
July 29 2011 09:56 GMT
#31
Can you link a replay of you executing the build ?
Because there is a reactor on the barracks and you should be able to put turrets in time, then you have thors
edit for lann:
The third replay (against xaM) shows what I do against roaches
Skip the blue flames, go with 4 tanks, rally helions
you just need more svc to repair
Lann555
Profile Joined February 2010
Netherlands5173 Posts
July 29 2011 11:03 GMT
#32
Any adjustments you make when Zerg goes for roach? I tried this build a few times now on ladder and everytime the Zerg opened for defensive roach (maybe in response to the hellion). The push never ended up killing the Z. I usually won the first battle vs roaches, but then reinforcement roach/ling kills the push. I still won in the end since the build transitions really well, so its not too bad I guess :p
Fantasy Fan! Gogogo vultures
Exstasy
Profile Joined August 2010
United Kingdom393 Posts
July 29 2011 12:04 GMT
#33
Personally I'm going to try and test this build after a 1 Rax FE, and then compare the timings to see if the push still works =]
It would suit my style more this way although I love the structure and shape of your build, Thanks for your contribution.
ElFuego
Profile Joined January 2011
United States45 Posts
July 29 2011 16:48 GMT
#34
On July 29 2011 01:39 Squigly wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 28 2011 04:08 Squigly wrote:
This isnt pure mech, its more bio mech, cuz of you know, all the marines. Still not bad.

User was warned for this post


Ha i got warned for this. Must be some power drunk mod XD

Ive tried this build out and it actually works wonders. Thumbs up.

User was temp banned for this post.


#1 Why in the world would someone be banned for this?

#2 Love this build, I've been starting to go mech against protoss but haven't had any success with my mech build orders vs. zerg (always ends up being just bio mech). I REALLY like the double upgrade aspect and I feel that's part of what makes this build so strong since thors with + armor are uber hard to kill (as if they weren't already).

I've only seen the youtube video as I'm at work but my the only real flaw I saw in the vid was the lack of harassment. Now I know there was a lot of back and forth in this game so there wasn't much time but I just get the inkling that building a drop ship or two and doing a BF Helion drop would have worked wonders. Thoughts?

P.S. I'm only Diamond but looking to get to masters and def need more refined build orders than my own, like this one so thanks.
Zarahtra
Profile Joined May 2010
Iceland4053 Posts
July 29 2011 16:53 GMT
#35
That seems like an insanely sexy build, will have to give it a go. It really surprised me, how much beating those thors were able to take, due to such a high upgrade advantage.
Zaixer
Profile Joined June 2010
Sweden82 Posts
July 29 2011 23:38 GMT
#36
I am soooooooo tired of getting roflstomped by ling/infestor/broodlord when I play marine/tank so I will try this. I dont understand why korean zergs almost always play ling/bling/muta when it is impossible to find a pro replay where ling/infestor/broodlord loose.

I think you said that you always build mostly thors even if the opponent go roach heavy, is that so you dont get destroyed by a muta tech switch?
Pam
Profile Joined May 2011
France33 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-30 05:33:04
July 30 2011 04:31 GMT
#37
@ElFuego
Well, the recent games (MMA vs Slush) showed a way to open with harass
MMA then transitionned/transferred into bio, but it seems possible to me to go mech while dropping blue flames/expanding
It's an option I haven't developped yet, but definitely something that can change my way to deal with this matchup
I think it's possible to support on 2 base (right after the push- as soon as you're on 4gaz)
3 fact 2 tech lab 1 reactor
1 starport (with tech lab after the medivac if you wish raven-banshee support)
the key point will be to do a fair production between tanks/thors/helion/medivac to always have your gaz low, and expand during the harass
another option would be
3 fact 2 tech lab 1 reactor
2 barrax 2 tech lab
To have production of ghost if you wish to deal with infestors, plus with snipe ability and cloak, it's really useful in each engagement against the z

@Zaixer
I like thors
once they are 3/3, they two shots the roaches, so in great number, roaches army melt against thors
In the other way, the zerg can overwhelm you before the 200/200 stage, that's why you need a handful of sieged tanks to be safe while expanding/increasing your numbers of factories

edit
@Kornholi0
In order to deal with this push, the zerg need to cut drones, so we should have the same economy
To scout this, the zerg needs to see the 2 factories with an overlord, which is deniable with 1 - 2 marines well placed in your main
With same micro from both side, I think the terran will be ahead, except if his helions are trapped by a ton of glings, which is really not common and avoidable
What is the 1.30 minute you're talking about ? it doesn't take that long to travel maps
Infestors aren't out when this push hits, so the zerg will suffer from the push
Plus, if he has roaches, they won't be an immediate menace of infestors nor mutas

Kornholi0
Profile Joined November 2010
Canada634 Posts
July 30 2011 05:14 GMT
#38
I think a lot more work can be done on the writeup, seems like a nice build but what if the zerg scouts it and is completely prepared? What are the follow ups? It may "destroy" the infestor opening, but that completely depends on the control of the zerg as a prepared infestoring player generally looks at a mech build and can handle it. Although it does hit at 8:30, this seems like you just won't have enough stuff to deal with the minute 30 of lings + roaches that the zerg will have (well controlled).
Team Channel: VTeX Team Co-leader: AGGhost 223 Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/agghost
Skank
Profile Joined October 2010
United States329 Posts
July 30 2011 07:37 GMT
#39
On July 30 2011 14:14 Kornholi0 wrote:
I think a lot more work can be done on the writeup, seems like a nice build but what if the zerg scouts it and is completely prepared? What are the follow ups? It may "destroy" the infestor opening, but that completely depends on the control of the zerg as a prepared infestoring player generally looks at a mech build and can handle it. Although it does hit at 8:30, this seems like you just won't have enough stuff to deal with the minute 30 of lings + roaches that the zerg will have (well controlled).


The push is spearheaded by helions, which helps diminish ling numbers, and gives the terran the option to retreat if he sees that the Zerg overracted. If the zerg did overreact, the damage is done.
"To be honest, to play protoss is ridiculously simple" -NesTea
Pam
Profile Joined May 2011
France33 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-31 09:18:39
July 31 2011 09:14 GMT
#40
Ok I've tried to do this build with what we saw at the mlg, but even with blue flames, It doesn't go together that much
I don't know the timing of the second gaz, I think I took it a little bit late
It puts you in a defensiv position, which is quite different that was the push does
here's the replay, the opponent was one of the worst I met on the teamliquid channel
[image loading]

Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 11h 51m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SpeCial 116
StarCraft: Brood War
White-Ra 172
firebathero 89
910 40
NaDa 31
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm87
Counter-Strike
Fnx 762
Super Smash Bros
C9.Mang0180
PPMD49
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby9404
Liquid`Hasu1676
Trikslyr87
Other Games
summit1g7267
Liquid`RaSZi6093
shahzam554
JimRising 266
B2W.Neo202
Pyrionflax180
KnowMe121
ArmadaUGS98
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream304
Other Games
BasetradeTV225
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 73
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Eskiya23 34
• FirePhoenix5
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• TFBlade1072
Other Games
• imaqtpie1128
• Shiphtur216
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
11h 51m
Afreeca Starleague
11h 51m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 1h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 12h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.