• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:15
CEST 04:15
KST 11:15
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Recent patches and the Future StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Rp8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 4821 users

[G] PvP: The "Maka" Gate - Page 2

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
Lochat
Profile Joined January 2011
United States270 Posts
March 17 2011 03:42 GMT
#21
While I appreciate people trying to help others by posting their builds and everything, this seems a little excessive. I don't think it's all that beneficial to make posts about every minor variation in a build that, quite honestly, are pretty basic to begin with. Proxying buildings, or even building stuff at your natural at the beginning, are things that people will do naturally to fit what they want to do.

Though maybe I'm being an overly critical ass. /shrug.
"The trouble was that he was talking in philosophy, but they were listening in gibberish." -- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)
Venomsflame
Profile Joined February 2011
United States613 Posts
March 17 2011 03:45 GMT
#22
I have changed my mind. I love this idea. After I wake up at 4 tomorrow I'm going to abuse and perfect this until it catches on!
Garth
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States353 Posts
March 17 2011 03:45 GMT
#23
On March 17 2011 12:40 Venomsflame wrote:
First of all, I am pretty sure Garth was saying that it is a good idea as it would force a reaction. I don't think he was picking at it.

Also, everyone(myself included) seems to think that it's the lack of gas that throws the idea away. Couldn't a variation be made that grabs the gas? Seeing 1 gate, gas will let the toss rest easy. He will assume the lack of pylon is a mistake or simply not notice at all. P players look for Gate count, gas, then go back to macro and have their probe dance around in base. Definitely an interesting idea!


yea I like the build.
Uhnno
Profile Joined February 2011
Netherlands288 Posts
March 17 2011 03:53 GMT
#24
A great way to induce a reaction with minimal risk. Definitely something to keep in mind in my PvPs.
RevaLution
Profile Joined November 2010
Singapore68 Posts
March 17 2011 04:03 GMT
#25
if i see 1 gate with no gas and no core, i would probably start forging up and start dark templar rushing, then expand behind that i guess.

That being said, interesting build and i might try it out when i have time
PvT going 4 base? http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=197730
Clerseri
Profile Joined June 2010
Australia150 Posts
March 17 2011 04:03 GMT
#26
Careful dilinearating between the build and the suggestion - the adel build is quite viable, even with the late gas. The main difference the OP has suggested is the 'maka gate', which sounds good offensively but I tend to find that there's often a counter attack when you've finished your 4:40 push, and by building a pylon and a gate in your nat, you're giving up your ramp. I'm not sure that's the best option.

It might even be better to place the gate somewhere completely and utterly out of the way, (other side of the map) combine your forces for the push and then for defence you'll have warpgates up and it doesn't matter that your gate is on the other side of the map?
Fantasy will be the next big thing in SC2.
Ghin
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States2391 Posts
March 17 2011 04:15 GMT
#27
I don't really have a comment about the guide's content, but why did you put the ENTIRE GUIDE in spoilers? I can see putting the pictures in spoilers, but everything else is just text and isnt... spoiling anything. To be honest it's annoying having to click to unspoil everything on the damn page.
Legalize drugs and murder.
susySquark
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States1692 Posts
March 17 2011 04:19 GMT
#28
This could be used for some shenanigans by putting the 2nd pylon in your base still, but near the edge of your base, and putting the gateway on the low ground on some off beaten path. This would be map specific though to things like Temple and Metal in certain spawns, but it would certainly decrease the suspiciousness of the missing pylon
moonylo
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany68 Posts
March 17 2011 04:28 GMT
#29
Like it a lot. Thumbs up! The chances of the opponent reacting properly are small.
Forging up? Great, you can just turn back home and have done the damage you want to do with that build without even fighting.
Adding a second gateway early? Okay, he's kinda going in your direction, but your build is optimized quite a bit and you're going to expand behind it, so nothing to worry about.
He still does the normal 4 gate? He is a big baller and he will be punished for that with your first timing attack.

Also, the gate + pylon are protected because you expand behind your attack. Like it a lot.

One thing im not sure about is the 3 stalker anti 4 gate rush. Have you ever played against that with adels build? I did and the first zealots were so weak against the stalkers I picked at least 2 off and the rush failed horribly. In my opinion this build not only counters 4gate but also counters adels build, so if you did the dual gate in your base, its kind off an autoloss. With the maka gate you have the chance that he will overreact tho.
CanucksJC
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Canada1241 Posts
March 17 2011 04:41 GMT
#30
On March 17 2011 13:28 moonylo wrote:
Like it a lot. Thumbs up! The chances of the opponent reacting properly are small.
Forging up? Great, you can just turn back home and have done the damage you want to do with that build without even fighting.
Adding a second gateway early? Okay, he's kinda going in your direction, but your build is optimized quite a bit and you're going to expand behind it, so nothing to worry about.
He still does the normal 4 gate? He is a big baller and he will be punished for that with your first timing attack.

Also, the gate + pylon are protected because you expand behind your attack. Like it a lot.

One thing im not sure about is the 3 stalker anti 4 gate rush. Have you ever played against that with adels build? I did and the first zealots were so weak against the stalkers I picked at least 2 off and the rush failed horribly. In my opinion this build not only counters 4gate but also counters adels build, so if you did the dual gate in your base, its kind off an autoloss. With the maka gate you have the chance that he will overreact tho.


I played against a guy that did the 3 stalker robo build. I think you either a) ram your head into his base, sac a zealot and chase him back, your stalkers will soon follow. b) sac a zealot and turn right back and wait for your stalkers to cover you.

That game after I expanded and got a quick stargate up knowing that he followed the build. His 2 collosus push came when it was supposed to, and I had 2 vrays with more than enough gateway support. I think you really have to be decisive with your initial zealots.
UBC StarCraft Club is official @ UBC Vancouver campus! Your first eSport community on campus. Welcomes players of all levels at UBC. Follow us on facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/group.php?gid=155630424470014 or IRC @ irc.rizon.net #ubcsc
Dommk
Profile Joined May 2010
Australia4865 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-17 04:44:59
March 17 2011 04:44 GMT
#31
Yeah, not bad. But I think if there is any sign of trouble then you should get out asap, if you over commit they are just going to counter and get a free gateway that is in your natural
Qaz
Profile Joined August 2010
84 Posts
March 17 2011 04:44 GMT
#32
On March 17 2011 12:28 CanucksJC wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 17 2011 12:22 Garth wrote:
would scare the hell out of me and I'd probably throw down a forge if I just saw no gas , 1 gate 1 pylon at 3300 Masters. I definately would not continue my build ( as a standard 4 gate dies to a proxy 2 gate obviously with no deviations.

Actually, I played against a few people that put down a forge, in that case, I would just pick off what I can and back off. I'll know that my expansion will be safe. Forge + cannons put you at a BIG disadvantage.


If this is a standard reaction to a hidden pylon, I should start randomly placing my second pylon...


Very cool build. I'll be trying this. Although it's going to make 4-gating more nerve-wracking.

A lot of people seem to have missed the fact that there's an assimilator in the build order.
moonylo
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany68 Posts
March 17 2011 04:45 GMT
#33
alright, thanks!
silverhand
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States91 Posts
March 17 2011 04:46 GMT
#34
The entire goal of the Adel build is to either get early aggression to kill/delay the 4gate or defend the 4gate to allow yourself the opportunity to expand and move into the midgame. Disguising the build seems only effective to me if you make it different enough to cause your opponent to react in a way that is favorable to you.

If your opponent has planned to 4 gate and scouts you and expects any form of early aggression, their reaction is likely to be no different if your are doing a proxy gate or an Adel no gas, so I don't see the advantage unless you are hoping (which is never a sound RTS strategy) your opponent will think you've made a mistake or are behind on your build and they'll continue to 4gate anyway.

I could maybe see if you put both gateways in your natural to make it look like a cannon rush, but I doubt your opponent will do much deviation in their build if no pylon/forge/cannons are scouted as soon as he sees just a nexus and mining probes...maybe you catch some people off guard. At least this way if the opponent still 4gates and you manage to do any damage or defend, when you expand to your natural, there is already some infrastructure there to build upon and the natural almost in essence becomes your main at that point. In the lower leagues this would probably have a much higher win rate since they are more likely to freak out when they can't find the forge, or maybe even just throw down a forge once they scout nothing in your main.

I use the adel build a lot and really like its flexibility and aggressive nature. I may play around with the OP's ideas and maybe even try what I suggested and see if it results in enough variation in my opponent's play to be worth while.
/me ponders
Qntc.YuMe
Profile Joined January 2011
United States792 Posts
March 17 2011 05:13 GMT
#35
It easy to scout since protoss players should keep track how many pylons are in your base during what phase of the game. Usually its assumed that if there is only 1 pylon when u have lots of probes or cybernetics, it kinda means there is proxy pylon.
CecilSunkure
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States2829 Posts
March 17 2011 05:43 GMT
#36
Wow very cool. I was under the assumption that I was the only one actively still messing with openings like this, as I never see anyone else on ladder doing anything interesting O_o

Thanks for the cool idea and great post <3
Kira761
Profile Joined December 2010
United States62 Posts
March 17 2011 06:02 GMT
#37
how about something like this so they dont freak out seeing no second pylon?

[image loading]
ye
LanTAs
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1091 Posts
March 17 2011 06:07 GMT
#38
On March 17 2011 11:55 Zoku wrote:
The problem with this build is, if I'm your opponent, I'm gonna go in your base, and see no 2nd pylon. That's a cue for me to scout everywhere.


Thats exacly what happened to the maka rax opening, the scout would find the rax just in time in maka's natural, and then ppl would always scout maka's natural since it was his playstyle.
SimpleNEasy
Profile Joined March 2011
United States22 Posts
March 17 2011 06:13 GMT
#39
On March 17 2011 12:22 Garth wrote:
would scare the hell out of me and I'd probably throw down a forge if I just saw no gas , 1 gate 1 pylon at 3300 Masters. I definately would not continue my build ( as a standard 4 gate dies to a proxy 2 gate obviously with no deviations.

yeah lol, I overreact too much to no gas PvP builds =O, even if they are not all in, god I hate myself for being such a fail PvP scouter
But yeah good theory! However, the thing about Maka rax is that you can lift if you ever need to, if the game somewhat stabilizes it can be a free gateway kill for your opponent, just a little thing to note there.
Saiton
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Sweden467 Posts
March 17 2011 06:18 GMT
#40
On March 17 2011 15:02 Kira761 wrote:
how about something like this so they dont freak out seeing no second pylon?

[image loading]


Subsubconsciously most people actually walk around every pylon and see if it powers anything is what i've noticed. So i don't think that would work.
Top diamond terran streaming at http://www.twitch.tv/saitontv
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7h 45m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 201
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2530
NotJumperer 2
Dota 2
monkeys_forever835
NeuroSwarm175
Other Games
summit1g8546
Coldzera 788
Day[9].tv729
JimRising 581
C9.Mang0353
PiGStarcraft194
ArmadaUGS46
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick870
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream283
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 117
• Letter146
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Day9tv729
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
7h 45m
Afreeca Starleague
7h 45m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
21h 45m
Kung Fu Cup
1d 8h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.