• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 01:44
CEST 07:44
KST 14:44
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7862 users

[G] TvZ Griffith's 4OC Pressure Push - Page 22

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 20 21 22 23 24 37 Next All
RadicalEdwrd
Profile Joined May 2010
United States53 Posts
December 09 2010 22:49 GMT
#421
I was trying a similar strategy before I found this thread but I only had 3 OCs...although I lost the game terribly I did notice that I was easily able to keep up with the Zerg on 3 OCs...do you think 4 OCs is really necessary?
"I need to lose. So important to just get out there and just lose the shit out of some games..." -Day[9]
Conrose
Profile Joined October 2010
437 Posts
December 09 2010 22:53 GMT
#422
I was able to play on the Bronze Ladder for a few hours after the discussion of mass orbitals started with that other thread, but since that weekend I haven't been able to get back to a decent connection to see if 4OC was gaining ground in the Bronze League, or to test my proposed Overseer timing counter for this build. 2 Second latency is not exactly conducive to my success as a Zerg player.

I will get a chance when I return home for the holidays though.
TheRealDJ
Profile Joined August 2010
United States124 Posts
December 09 2010 23:00 GMT
#423
On December 10 2010 07:49 RadicalEdwrd wrote:
I was trying a similar strategy before I found this thread but I only had 3 OCs...although I lost the game terribly I did notice that I was easily able to keep up with the Zerg on 3 OCs...do you think 4 OCs is really necessary?

Personally I try to transition into 5 or 6 OC play once my production is up and going which lets me ninja mine with hidden expansions, not risking any scvs.
Griffith`
Profile Joined September 2010
714 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-10 06:26:44
December 10 2010 03:00 GMT
#424
On December 10 2010 06:44 Conrose wrote:
Any replays of the Mech transitions yet Griffith?

And also, I'd love to see 3v3 and 4v4 Videos of it... especially if one Terran goes 4 OC straight off while another goes 4OC shortly after the first 4 OC starts putting out the Bioball spam.

And can someone get a 4OC vs 4OC replay?


Just an example mech transition:

http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/114371-1v1-terran-zerg-xelnaga-caverns
http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/114441-1v1-terran-zerg-xelnaga-caverns

It is far from perfect, but its a ~2k diamond game, mid-level, should suffice for your purposes to get an idea of it.
griffith.583 (NA)
Griffith`
Profile Joined September 2010
714 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-10 03:00:57
December 10 2010 03:00 GMT
#425
EDIT: Weird no idea how this double post came to be.
griffith.583 (NA)
jay236
Profile Joined August 2010
29 Posts
December 10 2010 04:02 GMT
#426
I've watched some of these replays and a lot of the Zerg's are just really bad in micro/macro. 2k NA players almost means nothing. I've beaten a lot of 2300+ Zergs lately and I'm a 1400+ Terran lol.

I watched the 2600+ game and I was sorely dissapointed by the bad decision making of the Zerg (he built a lot of fighting units but just waited until you attacked, his drone count was abysmal).

I definitely think this build has some merit, just needs to be a little more refined. Some extra APM could probably help this play a lot (your bio split needs to run your marines away from banes rather than all your marauders). I'm not a Zerg player but I think his muta timing was also off. No harassment from him so he basically let you macro.
Griffith`
Profile Joined September 2010
714 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-10 05:01:20
December 10 2010 04:59 GMT
#427
I agree that extra APM would help alot. Most of the players (including me) still aren't quite accustomed-to or able-to-handle 2200 income 9 minutes into the game. I still find the hardest thing right now is to be able to macro with the right timing in addition to constant harassing.
griffith.583 (NA)
MarkMcKay
Profile Joined October 2010
United States6 Posts
December 10 2010 06:33 GMT
#428
have you tried adding ghosts at one point? most zerg dont keep their seer with them and even if you could snipe it fast and then just spam snipe to add insult to pain? might also be handy to flank and emp infestors?
NathanS
Profile Joined July 2010
5 Posts
December 10 2010 15:20 GMT
#429
Why do you guys stop at 4OC? And why not start with 3? This just seems so cookie cutter as it is being played.

Obviously if you scoout zerg taking a third, go ahead and go 4 or even 5 OC fast. If he's one basing, maybe just get 2-3. It seems like there needs to be some kind of modification depending on the game. It's painful watching these replays with the terran player staying at 4OC when he has 4 bases. You should have something like 2-3 OC per base. Obviously once you hit the ~8 mark scale this back, but until then OC should be replacing supply depots as much as possible.
TheRealDJ
Profile Joined August 2010
United States124 Posts
December 10 2010 18:12 GMT
#430
Was wondering about a possible variation in tvt, where you go fast tanks, then once you start producing tanks, cut gas to only 3 workers and get the OCs, this way you have a stronger initial defense for the first push. The only issue is a vulnerability to banshees, but any economic damage that early in the game should be negated as long as you've started the 3 extra OCs to quickly replace the scvs lost.
Griffith`
Profile Joined September 2010
714 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-10 23:51:49
December 10 2010 23:36 GMT
#431
On December 11 2010 00:20 NathanS wrote:
Why do you guys stop at 4OC? And why not start with 3? This just seems so cookie cutter as it is being played.

Obviously if you scoout zerg taking a third, go ahead and go 4 or even 5 OC fast. If he's one basing, maybe just get 2-3. It seems like there needs to be some kind of modification depending on the game. It's painful watching these replays with the terran player staying at 4OC when he has 4 bases. You should have something like 2-3 OC per base. Obviously once you hit the ~8 mark scale this back, but until then OC should be replacing supply depots as much as possible.


I think there comes a point where it becomes overkill. When doing 3OC, it puts me "on-par" with zerg's economy throughout most of mid-game, the 4th OC I find is what gives me an economic advantage worth investing in.

As the old adage goes... be either hot or cold, never lukewarm. If you invest, commit to it and invest early.

Of course, if the zerg is expoing to a 4th or a 5th, by all means take your 4th, and 5th. But there really isn't a need to use OCs for use, a standard PF is fine, in mid-late game its more important to actually keep mining bases alive. 4 MULEs will last you all game.
griffith.583 (NA)
THEPPLsELBOW
Profile Joined November 2010
United States190 Posts
December 11 2010 02:04 GMT
#432
On December 11 2010 08:36 Griffith` wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 11 2010 00:20 NathanS wrote:
Why do you guys stop at 4OC? And why not start with 3? This just seems so cookie cutter as it is being played.

Obviously if you scoout zerg taking a third, go ahead and go 4 or even 5 OC fast. If he's one basing, maybe just get 2-3. It seems like there needs to be some kind of modification depending on the game. It's painful watching these replays with the terran player staying at 4OC when he has 4 bases. You should have something like 2-3 OC per base. Obviously once you hit the ~8 mark scale this back, but until then OC should be replacing supply depots as much as possible.


I think there comes a point where it becomes overkill. When doing 3OC, it puts me "on-par" with zerg's economy throughout most of mid-game, the 4th OC I find is what gives me an economic advantage worth investing in.

As the old adage goes... be either hot or cold, never lukewarm. If you invest, commit to it and invest early.

Of course, if the zerg is expoing to a 4th or a 5th, by all means take your 4th, and 5th. But there really isn't a need to use OCs for use, a standard PF is fine, in mid-late game its more important to actually keep mining bases alive. 4 MULEs will last you all game.

if you ever find that you have a lot of minerals, not a lot of army, and in need of a third. build 20 bunkers around a middle ish expo, (most gold ones), in staggered formation, and put a few siege tanks in it.

feel free to withdraw from your savings account when checking balances run low
Griffith`
Profile Joined September 2010
714 Posts
December 11 2010 02:21 GMT
#433
On December 09 2010 13:58 micjmac wrote:
I haven't seen any high quality replays of aggressive zergs on maps with wide open naturals to completely convince me of this build's effectiveness yet...


http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/114683-1v1-terran-zerg-xelnaga-caverns

Wide open naturals, check.
Aggressive non-stop eco baneling, check.

Successful defense, check.
griffith.583 (NA)
statikg
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada930 Posts
December 11 2010 02:25 GMT
#434
I don't really favor this build anymore except on maps with islands because if the zerg reacts with tons of banelings and infestors and does zergling runbys on your 3rd, you can be in trouble, I played one game where I just got totally mined out by this kind of response, you really need a PF at your 3rd but instead you already have a OC you want to use. I suppose you could just build another CC and PF it, without sacrificing too much.
Griffith`
Profile Joined September 2010
714 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-11 05:16:38
December 11 2010 03:42 GMT
#435
On December 11 2010 11:25 statikg wrote:
I don't really favor this build anymore except on maps with islands because if the zerg reacts with tons of banelings and infestors and does zergling runbys on your 3rd, you can be in trouble, I played one game where I just got totally mined out by this kind of response, you really need a PF at your 3rd but instead you already have a OC you want to use. I suppose you could just build another CC and PF it, without sacrificing too much.


Are you still using the MM(+M) transition? The mech one is quite strong, blue flame hellions and tanks roll over sling/bling/infestor combos.

vVvNGry 4OCed in SCL finals against EGStrifeCro, amazing execution on his end. (He promised me a replay too, so stay tuned!)
griffith.583 (NA)
NGry
Profile Joined August 2010
United States74 Posts
December 11 2010 05:15 GMT
#436
I believe that the 4 OC build is most viable with a transition into bio and slow teching your way to medivacs and tanks. The emphasis is put on massing marines and maintaining efficient production.

The biggest problem with the build is what can happen early game as u r dropping 4OC. The biggest weak point is WHEN to drop your 4th OC. If u r expecting pressure it is safer to drop a bunker or 2 and 2 extra rax to assist the initial 2 before starting your 4th OC. This will hold most early Z aggression.

After that the idea(at least from my perspective) is to be able to match or have even stronger production then the Z while attempting to keep him on 3 base.

Replay below is of myself vs EGstrifecro in SCL Finals
http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/114746-1v1-terran-zerg-metalopolis

If you would like, I have more replays of it vs other top tier players per request.
Conrose
Profile Joined October 2010
437 Posts
December 11 2010 06:14 GMT
#437
On December 11 2010 14:15 NGry wrote:
I believe that the 4 OC build is most viable with a transition into bio and slow teching your way to medivacs and tanks. The emphasis is put on massing marines and maintaining efficient production.

The biggest problem with the build is what can happen early game as u r dropping 4OC. The biggest weak point is WHEN to drop your 4th OC. If u r expecting pressure it is safer to drop a bunker or 2 and 2 extra rax to assist the initial 2 before starting your 4th OC. This will hold most early Z aggression.

After that the idea(at least from my perspective) is to be able to match or have even stronger production then the Z while attempting to keep him on 3 base.

Replay below is of myself vs EGstrifecro in SCL Finals
http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/114746-1v1-terran-zerg-metalopolis

If you would like, I have more replays of it vs other top tier players per request.


When one of the Podcasters (Such as Husky or HD Starcraft) decides to cover that game, you can expect to see this build to go through countless revisions and variations

Starting up the replay right now.
Conrose
Profile Joined October 2010
437 Posts
December 11 2010 06:48 GMT
#438
It's interesting in that replay when you look at the various resource related tabs.

For Units Lost, he's losing significantly less resource wise than the Zerg player was. When you look at the income tab, he was maintaining on par mineral income with the zerg player the majority of the game while using one of the OCs for frequent scans.

And then what I think was the biggest deal was the Spending tab... for most of the match, he was actually spending less (But not significantly so) on his army starting at the moment he begins his first push, he spent significantly less on economy, and absolutely blew away the technology spending at a 3 to 1 ratio.
Shado.
Profile Joined February 2008
United States187 Posts
December 11 2010 07:15 GMT
#439
On December 11 2010 14:15 NGry wrote:
I believe that the 4 OC build is most viable with a transition into bio and slow teching your way to medivacs and tanks. The emphasis is put on massing marines and maintaining efficient production.

The biggest problem with the build is what can happen early game as u r dropping 4OC. The biggest weak point is WHEN to drop your 4th OC. If u r expecting pressure it is safer to drop a bunker or 2 and 2 extra rax to assist the initial 2 before starting your 4th OC. This will hold most early Z aggression.

After that the idea(at least from my perspective) is to be able to match or have even stronger production then the Z while attempting to keep him on 3 base.

Replay below is of myself vs EGstrifecro in SCL Finals
http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/114746-1v1-terran-zerg-metalopolis

If you would like, I have more replays of it vs other top tier players per request.


absolute masterpiece.

bravo
Matrijs
Profile Joined May 2009
United States147 Posts
December 11 2010 07:37 GMT
#440
I don't know if anybody else is having this problem, but I just don't think the MMM followup works at even low level diamond (which is where I am). The Zerg player can just go mass speedling/baneling and crush your infantry army, no matter how big it is.

Rather than losing games where I just get overwhelmed by superior macro, I'm now losing games where I out-spend and out-harvest my opponent but still lose because banelings crush infantry so hard.

Any suggestions? Should I just switch to the mech followup?
Prev 1 20 21 22 23 24 37 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 5h 16m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nina 141
-ZergGirl 87
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 1932
910 70
sorry 47
Yoon 45
Bale 38
NotJumperer 18
yabsab 14
ZergMaN 11
Icarus 8
Noble 8
Dota 2
LuMiX1
League of Legends
JimRising 659
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox644
Mew2King38
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor132
Other Games
summit1g7071
WinterStarcraft390
PiGStarcraft267
C9.Mang0259
Sick214
Livibee165
ArmadaUGS48
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick643
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream232
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2290
League of Legends
• Stunt467
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
5h 16m
Stellar Fest
7h 16m
The PondCast
1d 4h
OSC
1d 7h
Stellar Fest
1d 7h
OSC
1d 18h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
[ Show More ]
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.