• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 02:00
CEST 08:00
KST 15:00
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202614Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ BW General Discussion GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November]
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9098 users

[D] ZvZ 16 Hatch 15 Pool

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All
SlapMySalami
Profile Joined August 2010
United States1060 Posts
October 24 2010 21:42 GMT
#1
I checked the last 6 replays on sc2rep.com including the players SEN, DIMAGA, TLO, and Luffy and 11/12 times the players went with some 16 hatch 15 pool build.. even on the 2 Steppes of War games. I honestly have no clue why this is standard now or has it been standard for a while or is it even considered standard now? Maybe it's a product of the increased hatchery life? Also what would be the deciding factor that would stop a 16hatch... an early pool?

Anyways help me out!

Replay links:
+ Show Spoiler +

http://sc2rep.com/replays/show/id/2357
http://sc2rep.com/replays/show/id/2358
http://sc2rep.com/replays/show/id/2375
http://sc2rep.com/replays/show/id/2376
http://sc2rep.com/replays/show/id/2392
http://sc2rep.com/replays/show/id/2393
marineking will u huk my bigtt1 ilu
CHOChi
Profile Joined June 2010
Germany73 Posts
October 24 2010 21:51 GMT
#2
i've been doing 14 hatch 14 pool and it works pretty well for me, but 16 hatch is clearly the better economy build

dont really get what you want to hear at stopping the 16 hatch build.. well some cheese may stop it i guess..
Don't worry. I got this
TheWarbler
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States1659 Posts
October 24 2010 21:56 GMT
#3
I dont get how the build will stop a 8 pool. Id like to see it used vs some cheese before testing.
if you can believe you can concieve
ZomgTossRush
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States1041 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-24 21:58:27
October 24 2010 21:57 GMT
#4
On October 25 2010 06:51 CHOChi wrote:
i've been doing 14 hatch 14 pool and it works pretty well for me, but 16 hatch is clearly the better economy build

dont really get what you want to hear at stopping the 16 hatch build.. well some cheese may stop it i guess..



Not really, any ling bling can pop the hatch. When i roll a zvz, i see alot of blind hatch first builds, and I have recently learned that sling/bling with decent micro can at least kill the hatch. Even in worst possible cases(cross map metal late scout)
Coaching for 1v1 and Team games at Gosucoaching.com
shmoo
Profile Joined March 2010
United States139 Posts
October 24 2010 21:58 GMT
#5
It really comes down to where you are on the ladder and who you are playing. Anything later than a 13 pool has a really hard time with a 6 or 7 pool.

When you play against high level opponents, the odds of cheese diminishes greatly so you see these greedy macro oriented openings more often.

Its very hard to stop a good timing push in zvz when you fe and the opponent 1 bases.
Bears are godless killing machines
Tazza
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Korea (South)1678 Posts
October 24 2010 22:05 GMT
#6
I have no idea how you would stop a 13 gas 13 pool bling play. The 16 hatch forces you to get gas much much later, and lings much much later. I think the blings would just destroy the drones before roaches or blings come out
Dromar
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
United States2145 Posts
October 24 2010 22:09 GMT
#7
This is my standard (almost).

I scout at 9, and if my opponent did an early pool, I go 13/14 pool or whenever I scout it. If my opponent went standard 13 or 14 pool, I go 15 hatch. If they are going hatch first, I block the hatch with my scouting drone.
ZomgTossRush
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States1041 Posts
October 24 2010 22:13 GMT
#8
On October 25 2010 07:09 Dromar wrote:
This is my standard (almost).

I scout at 9, and if my opponent did an early pool, I go 13/14 pool or whenever I scout it. If my opponent went standard 13 or 14 pool, I go 15 hatch. If they are going hatch first, I block the hatch with my scouting drone.


What if they went like a 14/13 gas/pool build? How in the world can you hold off sling/bling? I imagine you could even cut the speed and get faster blings.
Coaching for 1v1 and Team games at Gosucoaching.com
Bull-Demon
Profile Joined January 2003
United States582 Posts
October 24 2010 22:18 GMT
#9
I've pretty much had zero success going hatch first zvz. I always, always lose to sling/bling. 1500diamond.

I think the reason the pros get away with it is sling/bling play could be seen as all in if you don't kill lots of drones or the hatch.
~_~
Zecias
Profile Joined September 2010
United States116 Posts
October 24 2010 22:34 GMT
#10
im pretty sure that the pros scout and play based on wut the opponent does. if there is no way for 16 hatch to stop early aggression(like a 14 pool), then i don't think that the pros would do it. cuz then it would be more beneficial to go 14 pool and scout. if u scout hatch first, u go for an early push and win, if not, u can expand and both of u would be on equal ground.
Synk
Profile Joined April 2010
United States297 Posts
October 24 2010 23:20 GMT
#11
I'm 1500 + diamond and I haven't had seen any of my zvz games go past roach tech in over a month. Every game I just all in slings and win, the only time I've lost is due to poor micro or poor scouting and getting cheesed ( 6 pool or 10 pool lings ) even earlier than my build comes together. I will send out my 8th or 9th drone to scout every game and if my opponent goes a 14 pool I will go 15 hatch, otherwise I just 13 pool to be safe. However I think the build that all zvz is going to degenerate into is 10 pool/gas speedling all in ( 1 base ). Speedlings just dominate this entire MU, banelings cannot stop them if you have good micro since you can usually take banelings out with 2 lings and just run past them with your pack of cracklings. Zerg's lack of defense really fucks this MU up to no end, basically just get speedlings as fast as possible and rally them into your opponents base. The winner is whoever can out micro the other and maybe get lucky and pick off a drone or two before your opponents lings are out.

Roaches also lose to speedlings, which has neted me a shitload of wins since the last patch because people think 1 range is going to change that. If I see roaches sometimes I will slow the game down and get 1 ups for my lings but, it really isn't required imo .. but helps if you have to break through a choke.

I'm not sure how this MU can be fixed really, but its crazy retarded right now and I don't see it changing anytime soon.

PS I have like an 80% zvz winrate this month so .. yea (not sure if there is a way to verify this besides picking through match history but im pretty sure its around that )
Don't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Dromar
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
United States2145 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-24 23:29:55
October 24 2010 23:23 GMT
#12
On October 25 2010 07:13 zomgtossrush wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 25 2010 07:09 Dromar wrote:
This is my standard (almost).

I scout at 9, and if my opponent did an early pool, I go 13/14 pool or whenever I scout it. If my opponent went standard 13 or 14 pool, I go 15 hatch. If they are going hatch first, I block the hatch with my scouting drone.


What if they went like a 14/13 gas/pool build? How in the world can you hold off sling/bling? I imagine you could even cut the speed and get faster blings.


So far, I've been reasonably successful, but I can't say I've played very good opponents. That said, I haven't really refined it much myself, so I wasn't playing very well either. If/when I run into something I can't handle with a hatch first build, I'll post again in this thread.

will post some replays once I figure out how to do so.

edit: ok what's the good site to upload sc2 replays to?
dave333
Profile Joined August 2010
United States915 Posts
October 24 2010 23:24 GMT
#13
^BO please? I just have no sense when it comes to mass speedling. Do you go 2 hatch in main? hatch at nat? Or just use queen and just pump speedlings?
Gentso
Profile Joined July 2010
United States2218 Posts
October 24 2010 23:25 GMT
#14
To those guys saying it doesn't work against 14 gas 13 pool... here's a replay of me doing a 15 hatch, 16 pool and winning against a 1500 diamond player who did just that. Sry, I don't ladder enough but I think 1500 is kind of a decent opponent.

http://www.mediafire.com/?3fafttxc06g4w55
Chaosvuistje
Profile Joined April 2010
Netherlands2581 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-24 23:39:36
October 24 2010 23:38 GMT
#15
There are very few cases in which you want to go hatch FIRST. And here are a couple of reasons why.

One obviously is the fact that your pool will be later. But this isn't that much of a bother, as you can get lings out soon enough if he 14gas14 pooled.

Another is you're delaying your queen, thus you lose inevitable larva when under pressure. The hatchery does produce larva, but not enough against a Sling/Bling build.

Thirdly, it is actually detrimental to your economy early on. Let that sink into you for a little bit. =>DETRIMENTAL<=.

The reasoning behind this is that unlike your opponent, you invested 300 minerals in a hatchery that has yet to pay for itself. Your opponent on the other hand has had that money to drone up a bit more than you. He will have a better economy than the FE player in that timeframe.
You had to cut drone production while you were planting that hatch and waiting for the minerals for the spawning pool. Meanwhile he used that money on a few extra drones.

I've experimented with 14 hatch 14 pool on shakuras plateau cross positions, and it didn't work. I had the banelings nest, I had the zerglings. But I could not hold onto the hatchery.

You don't need that hatchery that early. Expanding at about 25 is safer and has less of a chance to fail, while having a better economy. You never want to sacrifice economy early, especially not in ZvZ. ( Unless you're going for a 6 or 10 pool ).

Even if your opponent gets the expansion up, will you really let him saturate that expansion? Eat him up, force him to make zerglings. He wont stand a ghost of a chance if you are reasonably agressive.
Pandain
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States12989 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-24 23:52:02
October 24 2010 23:48 GMT
#16
Wow at everyone saying "OMG THIS WILL NEVER WORK".
I'm ~1800 zerg and I can firmly show with confidence this build is actually one of two standard builds now: 16 hatch 15 pool or 14 pool 13/14 gas.

Of course this build will easily lose to very early cheese, but that's why you usually don't do it on 2 player maps like steppes of war or xel naga caverns(especially the former.)

Basically, what you do with this build is just make two spinecrawlers once your pool finishes, block off ramp with queen, and from there you actually have several options(though most people go into roach/hydra/infestor.

Also, I'm sorry but mass splings, while can be effective, will lose alright if the opponet knows what your doing. The effectiveness of mass splings comes mainly from the suprise, the "OMG why did he make so many lings." If the opponet realizes you're doing that, and makes enough banelings with lings to chase off those pesky enemy lings trying to kill blings, then your safe.
Of course, that's not saying it's not effective per se, rather that it's not going to devolve to that kind of build.

On October 25 2010 08:38 Chaosvuistje wrote:

Thirdly, it is actually detrimental to your economy early on. Let that sink into you for a little bit. =>DETRIMENTAL<=.

The reasoning behind this is that unlike your opponent, you invested 300 minerals in a hatchery that has yet to pay for itself. Your opponent on the other hand has had that money to drone up a bit more than you. He will have a better economy than the FE player in that timeframe.
You had to cut drone production while you were planting that hatch and waiting for the minerals for the spawning pool. Meanwhile he used that money on a few extra drones.


Actually, this is somewhat accurate yet also leaves out a major aspect: it DOES give you an advantage later in the game. Think about it, you have more larva, you have another expo(and 5 drones at two different bases gives more income than 10 drones at one). Basically, once you hold off that initial push, you can just start making drones and get WAY ahead.
Synk
Profile Joined April 2010
United States297 Posts
October 24 2010 23:50 GMT
#17
My BO isnt really set in stone because I really react to what my opponent is doing and what map but ideally I go 15 hatch 15 pool 15 gas if they go 14 pool. Once my extractor finishes I put 3 in gas just got 100 gas ( for zling speed )then put all drones on minerals, cut all drone production and just make lings. The 2nd hatch is always at my natural because I feel it gives me a great transition into the late game, but I haven't actually had an opponent hold the attack of yet so .. rofl... haven't really used that yet. I also make sure to get a queen at each hatchery, if you do it right you can sink every single mineral into nothing but lings and you end up with a massive ball of lings in no time.

If I scout any early pool or if I don't scout in time, I just go a safe 13 pool 13 gas, then 15 hatch into mass lings .. but i end up with a few less drones in this one because I really need lings out asap.

The reason why 2 hatches is so good, is it makes it so you can actually dump all of your minerals into ling production and it makes you able to out mass your opponent quickly. Without the 2nd hatch all in lings is very dangerous, but with the 2nd hatch its easy to walk right over roaches, banelings, and spinecrawlers .. with decent micro. I rarely even mine at all at my natural since its a bit more exposed and i risk losing one of my 14-18 drones .. depending the game.
Don't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Synk
Profile Joined April 2010
United States297 Posts
October 24 2010 23:53 GMT
#18
And I really don't see you beating slings with banelings, ive even starting telling people what im doing sometimes and still win against 12+ banelings .. I just have such an overwealming ball of lings you just cant stop it. If I need to I can even split off 12 lings and run around the slow banelings and force you to split your lings .. then send in 2 lings at a time to pick off the banelings while your trying to deal with my lings in your base. Banelings are just too slow early on and too costly .. you just run out after a minute or two of pressure and then get overwealmed by slings.
Don't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Dromar
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
United States2145 Posts
October 24 2010 23:56 GMT
#19
Ok figured it out.

So here's some replays. In a couple of them, either I or my opponent experimented with the evo chamber to block gas that has been discussed recently. I'm unimpressed with it, and won't be doing it anymore personally.

Games where I played okay:

http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/95494-1v1-zerg-steppes-of-war
this guy tried roach aggression in response to my fast expo.

http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/95495-1v1-zerg-xelnaga-caverns
this guy did kind of a wierd build, getting fast +1 attack and mass lings. Happy ending

Games where I played like shit but still won:

http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/95493-1v1-zerg-blistering-sands
I had lots of minerals toward the end, but I was pretty far ahead at that point. roach aggression again.

http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/95489-1v1-zerg-steppes-of-war
this guy went straight for banelings, and I went roach. He left after the attack failed, not knowing I wasn't ahead very far due to crappy macro (was a bit rusty this game). Interesting fact: a baneling explosion is enough to kill all larva in its radius.

http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/95492-1v1-zerg-scrap-station
This guy went all-out lings, and the weakness of roaches really shows on this open map. If he would have brought banelings, he would have probably won.

I don't claim to be an excellent player, and if you watch the replays you'll notice that I don't really have any "game plan," other than a general idea to hold off the opponent's aggression with a stronger economy. Also I don't get much time to play, as I'm busy as a teacher and a student. But ever since patch 1.1.2 I've done hatch first in every matchup including ZvZ, and it's been working out pretty well.
Slayer91
Profile Joined February 2006
Ireland23442 Posts
October 24 2010 23:59 GMT
#20
You can defend early ling/baneling with the stuff Zelniq used in the day[9] daily with queens to block the ramp and 2-3 spinecrawlers -->roaches. I believe I saw dimaga do that stuff in fact.

It's auto loss to 6-->10 pool but they're so rare since they lose to everything else =p
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
QMC Community Tournament 1
Liquipedia
OSC
07:15
Masters Cup #151 Group C
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 191
Nina 126
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 3849
Sharp 433
Dewaltoss 85
Mong 77
sorry 14
Noble 9
Icarus 7
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King209
Other Games
summit1g7750
WinterStarcraft523
C9.Mang0278
Sick168
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• practicex 30
• StrangeGG 18
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki23
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2268
League of Legends
• Lourlo1070
• Stunt360
Other Games
• Shiphtur662
Upcoming Events
OSC
17h
Big Brain Bouts
1d 4h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 11h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 13h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.