• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:39
CEST 22:39
KST 05:39
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Recent patches and the Future StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026?
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7891 users

[A] SCRAP - StarCraft 2 total conversion mod

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
waywardstrategy
Profile Blog Joined October 2015
United States64 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-06-27 02:55:37
June 06 2020 16:17 GMT
#1
Hey everyone!

TLDR: I have a StarCraft 2 Arcade map that I’m hoping to get some patient playtesters to try out. I’m running a tournament in August to offer some incentive to do so ($70 first place, top 3 get money).

If you want to play, search “SCRAP - Scavenge” in the Arcade to find the SCRAP Public Alpha.

My name is wayward, and I’ve spent the past couple of years noodling around with a full conversion RTS Arcade map that I call SCRAP (Scavenge, Collect, Reclaim, Attack, Prevail) - one of my twitter friends came up with the acronym.

Anyway, a couple of years ago I teamed up with an awesome group of people and we were going to run a tournament for the mod. That all fell apart (mostly, let’s be clear, due to me) but things have come a long way since then and I’m feeling a lot more confident about everything, but I’ve had a really difficult time attracting playtesters.

First off, what is SCRAP?
It’s a 1v1 RTS with custom rules, systems, and factions. At a high level, it has stuff you might recognize from other games like Supreme Commander, Company of Heroes, and WarCraft 3 just to name a few.

[image loading]

First off, there are 7 pre-defined base locations on the map. Bases in SCRAP are kind of similar to Power nodes from Dawn of War 2, or similar to bases from Halo Wars: you capture it (in this case by putting a command center on it) and then you can build structures on the attach points.

Owning those bases has a number of effects. First off, there’s the access to build slots. Each player needs about 6 build slots to get access to all their tech, so you need to own at least 2 bases in order to unlock all of your units and abilities.

Additionally, base command centers act like Moonwells, recharging unit energy. Units in SCRAP use Energy for abilities, but many also use it for ammo for their weapons, performing worse or being unable to attack when out of Energy, and they don’t generate it themselves. So, bases are pretty important.

Also, if you own more bases than your opponent, they start losing Victory Points (called Data in the game). Whoever hits 0 VPS first loses. It’s kind of an edge case win condition: most matches end with the ‘kill your opponent’ win condition, but it definitely encourages people to get a move on and not play passively.

SCRAP is pretty tactical: most things, even economic units, can have a combat purpose. I also tried to create systems where players can do little things to get a leg up on their opponent: there’s lots of little ways to put your opponent off their game or to be slightly better in combat. I think the feel is kind of… WarCraft 3 meets Red Alert 3? If I can be that bold to make the comparison.

The Limitations, and the Incentive
Sorry if I took a minute to toot my own horn a bit. I’d like to think I created something that’s pretty fun to play. But that brings us to the current state of the game.

It’s definitely still being worked on. There are bugs and balance issues. I have a tutorial and tips system in the works but I’m still feeling all that out since I’ve not built those things before. But I do think it’s complete enough that people can play it and have fun, if they have the patience to learn the systems vs the AI (really just waves of spawned units that try to take bases).

To that end, I have started trying to produce some commentated replays of the better games so I can show how the current testers are interacting with it (examples below)




I only have 2 videos right now, but I’m doing more as we play. They’re definitely… a bit rough, like the game itself (I’m VERY rusty when it comes to commentary, sorry!) but I think they aren’t a TERRIBLE introduction to the game’s core concepts even if they’re not great videos.

And lastly:, I am formally announcing a SCRAP Tournament. Starting in August 2020, the SCRAP Tournament will have a $110 USD prize pool ($70 to first place, $30 to second place and $10 to 3rd place winner). In the SCRAP Tournament, players will play best-of-3 matches in a double-elimination format. Quite frankly, I want to get players and I'm hoping that offering prize money is a good way to get people to get into the mod and give it a chance.

If you're interested in trying SCRAP out (I should point out that in addition to competitive 1v1, SCRAP contains 2-player co-op against an AI opponent, as well as solo play vs AI) or participating in the tournament, please join the Wayward Strategy Discord here: https://discord.gg/EUMGEsR

Some concept art and gameplay screenshots:
[image loading]
[image loading]
[image loading]
[image loading]
Vision_
Profile Joined September 2018
877 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-06-08 12:32:36
June 08 2020 12:04 GMT
#2
Cool <3 first..

Did you use 3D models from others game ?

I mean, it would be so cool to have the giant spider of Supreme Commander

PS : i thought a lot to a redesign of sc2 and the choice of resize units and slow them is natural.. I couldn t imagine such a good result
waywardstrategy
Profile Blog Joined October 2015
United States64 Posts
June 08 2020 12:42 GMT
#3
Hey Vision!

I actually commissioned concept artists and a 3d modeler to custom make the units for me. My hope is to eventually have everything entirely custom.

The Absorber tank model I grabbed with permission from another kitbasher from SC2Mapster. I might use this more for some other units (it's gotten expensive to pay for the concept art and 3d models).

SCRAP is definitely slower than StarCraft but I tried to retain some micro potential. I wanted to go with something more on the scale of WarCraft 3 or Company of Heroes, with fewer units. I am trying to find time to cast some better replays from the community. I hope to be able to post some better examples of decent gameplay this week.
waywardstrategy
Profile Blog Joined October 2015
United States64 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-06-10 02:38:33
June 10 2020 02:37 GMT
#4
Just did a stream where I played against my co designer. I think this illustrates the gameplay PRETTY well. I will cast some of these as VODs on YouTube

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/646374547
waywardstrategy
Profile Blog Joined October 2015
United States64 Posts
June 10 2020 18:21 GMT
#5
This is a POV of me playing my co-designer (exported from the twitch stream I posted above)

I am working on casting some of these, but I think this highlights how the game is played a bit better than the commentaries I posted in my original post:

Husyelt
Profile Blog Joined May 2020
United States839 Posts
June 12 2020 00:10 GMT
#6
Holy hell this is really impressive, I might give it a go this weekend
You're getting cynical and that won't do I'd throw the rose tint back on the exploded view
waywardstrategy
Profile Blog Joined October 2015
United States64 Posts
June 12 2020 11:26 GMT
#7
Awesome! I hope you enjoy it!
waywardstrategy
Profile Blog Joined October 2015
United States64 Posts
June 12 2020 15:29 GMT
#8
another video. This one, the Fabricators win. This one has a LOT of back and forth in it

waywardstrategy
Profile Blog Joined October 2015
United States64 Posts
June 24 2020 18:02 GMT
#9
The SCRAP Tournament will start on August 1, assuming that I'm able to find at least 4 players

It is planned to be double elimination with prizes for first ($70) second ($30) and third ($10) place

I am hoping to have some more players jump in to learn the game in the weeks leading up to the tournament and help address any outstanding balance issues before it starts

https://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/5sTJVDnMaT#/signup/nz37b0el37l
waywardstrategy
Profile Blog Joined October 2015
United States64 Posts
June 27 2020 02:57 GMT
#10
Concept art by Mike Doscher for a new unit model going into the mod soon [image loading]
Aunvilgodess
Profile Joined May 2016
954 Posts
June 29 2020 11:27 GMT
#11
looks nice
waywardstrategy
Profile Blog Joined October 2015
United States64 Posts
July 07 2020 23:21 GMT
#12
[image loading]

New model in the game: the Dendrite faction's command center. It's called the Axon
waywardstrategy
Profile Blog Joined October 2015
United States64 Posts
September 03 2020 02:42 GMT
#13
some new models in the game:

Dendrite Terminal
[image loading]

Dendrite Shock Drone
[image loading]
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27410 Posts
September 06 2020 13:38 GMT
#14
Looks an exciting project if I can find some time and someone to try it out with.

Aside from the effort you’ve put in on the meat and potatoes, even the small UI tweak to have the minimap and wireframes under the resource tab is a nice change that I think makes a lot of sense.
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
Liquid`Jinro
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
Sweden33719 Posts
September 11 2020 13:32 GMT
#15
This is really cool :O Gonna take a closer look when I have time.
Moderatortell the guy that interplanatar interaction is pivotal to terrans variety of optionitudals in the pre-midgame preperatories as well as the protosstinal deterriggation of elite zergling strikes - Stimey n | Formerly FrozenArbiter
LHK
Profile Joined May 2015
204 Posts
September 12 2020 21:52 GMT
#16
Nice bump, I’m interested in checking this out. Haven’t heard of this before!
-Laura
waywardstrategy
Profile Blog Joined October 2015
United States64 Posts
October 06 2020 14:37 GMT
#17
thanks for all the kind words! I'm also working on a unit tester version of the map, and a tutorial/mini campaign
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 13h 21m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nathanias 233
JuggernautJason109
Nina 11
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 593
White-Ra 172
firebathero 81
910 41
Trap 25
NaDa 15
Counter-Strike
Fnx 748
Super Smash Bros
C9.Mang0173
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby9492
Liquid`Hasu1755
crisheroes1703
Trikslyr90
Other Games
summit1g6279
Liquid`RaSZi5528
Beastyqt793
shahzam476
B2W.Neo283
Pyrionflax145
ArmadaUGS118
KnowMe116
ZombieGrub87
IndyStarCraft 78
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream370
Other Games
BasetradeTV189
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 33
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 40
• Eskiya23 12
• FirePhoenix8
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV422
League of Legends
• TFBlade837
Other Games
• imaqtpie871
• Shiphtur306
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
13h 21m
Afreeca Starleague
13h 21m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 3h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 14h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.