• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:09
CEST 20:09
KST 03:09
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9505 users

[M] (2) Rolling Dunes

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
1 2 Next All
LComteVarauG
Profile Joined January 2015
Australia158 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-04-08 07:26:12
February 28 2015 07:11 GMT
#1
[image loading]
by LComteVarauG

Available on SEA and NA

[image loading]

[image loading]

Aesthetics (outdated):
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]


This map used textures from Castanar, Korhal, Char Fortress, Skygeirr and Phaeton.

Here is a set of pictures that help explain my thinking behind the balance of the map (mostly in regards to blink). Please keep in mind that a couple of the blink paths have been removed in an updated version. However, a lot of the thinking is the same:
+ Show Spoiler +

Here is a little 'analyser' of mine:
[image loading]


Here is my reasoning about how blink play should turn out (I want it to be viable, but not over powered):
[image loading]

(This option above is no longer as "viable") ^

[image loading]

I think that if you are:
-On 2 bases. you have a very short distance to travel to get back to your main.
-On 3 bases, the army will be placed at the front ramp, and if you are Protoss or Terran, you will have a wall there too. Therefore, blink stalkers cannot get into the main, and the only part of your base you must worry about is the natural/3rd area.

Because you could have 3 bases behind one ramp, there is a back door entrance to the natural for a bit later on in the game.



This map has indeed changed a lot. Here is the change log:

+ Show Spoiler +
Version 1:
[image loading]

[image loading]

Version 2:
[image loading]

[image loading]

Version 3:
(Preview Missing)

[image loading]

Version 4:
[image loading]

[image loading]

Version 5:
[image loading]

[image loading]


I also have a map file for almost all of these changes, so if a drastic change is undesirable, I can revert to any of these stages very easily. Thanks for all of the feedback guys!

... So much of this map has changed to blink. Maybe it would be easier if blink just didn't go up cliffs!
Author of "[LCV]" maps on SEA and NA. Don't Panic. Member of the clan: JRB (Just Really Bad)
OtherWorld
Profile Blog Joined October 2013
France17333 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-02-28 08:17:37
February 28 2015 07:35 GMT
#2
Interesting map, although it may be too open. But I like it.
Edit : oh yeah, blink. I forgot about it for a moment.
Used Sigs - New Sigs - Cheap Sigs - Buy the Best Cheap Sig near You at www.cheapsigforsale.com
-NegativeZero-
Profile Joined August 2011
United States2142 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-02-28 08:36:22
February 28 2015 07:50 GMT
#3
First noticeable thing is that blink's going to be too strong here. The entire main surface is vulnerable, plus the angle of the main ramp means the defender has to take a long route to get back into their base (think blistering sands backdoor syndrome). Also I agree that it might be too open, once you leave the nat/3rd area there's only 1 real choke across the entire map (the center by the watchtower).
vibeo gane,
LComteVarauG
Profile Joined January 2015
Australia158 Posts
February 28 2015 09:29 GMT
#4
Yeah, I agree blink might be a problem here. I will see if I can make the map have more chokes and I will fix up the main. Thanks guys!
Author of "[LCV]" maps on SEA and NA. Don't Panic. Member of the clan: JRB (Just Really Bad)
LComteVarauG
Profile Joined January 2015
Australia158 Posts
February 28 2015 10:06 GMT
#5
I think I have fixed the blink issue, though perhaps the area in front of the new gold bases is still too wide open?
Author of "[LCV]" maps on SEA and NA. Don't Panic. Member of the clan: JRB (Just Really Bad)
OtherWorld
Profile Blog Joined October 2013
France17333 Posts
February 28 2015 10:35 GMT
#6
I'm not sure if I like the Blink fix, it creates the Daedalus-esque issue of the ramp being too far from the natural base and delete the mid-ground between the nat and third which was a cool feature. The other changes are fine, and the area in front of the gold is fine because since it's a gold it's not a problem to have it in an exposed and open position like that.
Used Sigs - New Sigs - Cheap Sigs - Buy the Best Cheap Sig near You at www.cheapsigforsale.com
algue
Profile Joined July 2011
France1436 Posts
February 28 2015 11:37 GMT
#7
The middle of the map is rather uninspired. Ramps don't add much to the game especially when they are so large. You may aswell have a flat middle with some doodads, the result would be the same.
rly ?
LComteVarauG
Profile Joined January 2015
Australia158 Posts
March 01 2015 00:39 GMT
#8
On February 28 2015 20:37 algue wrote:
The middle of the map is rather uninspired. Ramps don't add much to the game especially when they are so large. You may aswell have a flat middle with some doodads, the result would be the same.

Thanks algue.
I have split the wide ramps in halve, in the hope that it will create and interesting dynamic in which the player holding the plateau gains map control, but if they get to aggressive, the low ground defender will get a better concave, creating a tug of war type battle over the center with run-by's on the sides.
Author of "[LCV]" maps on SEA and NA. Don't Panic. Member of the clan: JRB (Just Really Bad)
The_Templar
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
your Country52798 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-03-01 03:13:06
March 01 2015 03:12 GMT
#9
Even if you hold the center, it's really easy for your opponent to go around the huge open space of the sides of the map with the given three base layout, or to flank/surround you. So there's really not that much value in holding the center, especially with all the bases in the sides/corners.
ModeratorI am still alive, somehow
TL+ Member
LComteVarauG
Profile Joined January 2015
Australia158 Posts
March 01 2015 07:10 GMT
#10
On March 01 2015 12:12 The_Templar wrote:
Even if you hold the center, it's really easy for your opponent to go around the huge open space of the sides of the map with the given three base layout, or to flank/surround you. So there's really not that much value in holding the center, especially with all the bases in the sides/corners.

Thanks The_Templar.
I have heavily modified the center, but I am not sure if it really works with the map. Perhaps I should remove the area around the watchtower and make that low ground, having a split central plateau?
Author of "[LCV]" maps on SEA and NA. Don't Panic. Member of the clan: JRB (Just Really Bad)
FlaShFTW
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States10566 Posts
March 01 2015 07:34 GMT
#11
if you put some kind of central base design, i think the middle would be a much larger priority. as it is, people can just go around the sides because of your base design and circle syndrome.

the map does look pretty good though.
Writer#1 KT and FlaSh Fanboy || Woo Jung Ho Never Forget || Teamliquid Political Decision Desk
TL+ Member
jamesapjoyce
Profile Joined August 2012
61 Posts
March 05 2015 08:38 GMT
#12
While I like this map, I've tried to listen to the comments. How about making a ramp down from main base with destructible rocks across the map to the opponents main?
EatThePath
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States3943 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-03-05 17:34:56
March 05 2015 17:33 GMT
#13
I think I may have missed previous versions because the comments don't make sense with the current picture, which looks like a choky map to me. The distance to defend 4 bases is actually quite short, and everything has to move through a relatively short stretch of the middle. (Measure from ramp edges.) Looks very strong for mech and SH. And protoss.

But, I rather like it. The use of the cliffs and ramps to separate the otherwise circle syndrome bases kind of works to make it more positional.

Probably should remove the tower though.
Comprehensive strategic intention: DNE
Gwavajuice
Profile Joined June 2014
France1810 Posts
March 05 2015 18:00 GMT
#14
It looks like 2 FF can block the natural, if that's the case, shouldn't it be a tad wider?
Dear INno and all the former STX boys.
TheoMikkelsen
Profile Joined June 2013
Denmark196 Posts
March 05 2015 21:11 GMT
#15
The gold base needs to become standard.
Any sufficiently cheesy build is indistinguishable in skill
HewTheTitan
Profile Joined February 2015
Canada331 Posts
March 06 2015 03:39 GMT
#16
Reminds me too much of cloud kingdom. CK was a good map mind you.
Zerg.Zilla
Profile Joined February 2012
Hungary5029 Posts
March 06 2015 06:42 GMT
#17
That blink opportunity from the 3th to the main...shivers down my spine.
(•_•) ( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■) ~Keep calm and inject Larva~
LComteVarauG
Profile Joined January 2015
Australia158 Posts
March 06 2015 10:59 GMT
#18
On March 06 2015 15:42 Zerg.Zilla wrote:
That blink opportunity from the 3th to the main...shivers down my spine.

Hopefully what I did hasn't made it worse, but I decided to reconnect the natural and 3rd As a Zerg player, I think I can still fairly easily deal with blink here. At least now the distance from your 3rd to your main is much shorter.
Author of "[LCV]" maps on SEA and NA. Don't Panic. Member of the clan: JRB (Just Really Bad)
Phaenoman
Profile Joined February 2013
568 Posts
March 06 2015 21:02 GMT
#19
On March 06 2015 19:59 LComteVarauG wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 06 2015 15:42 Zerg.Zilla wrote:
That blink opportunity from the 3th to the main...shivers down my spine.

Hopefully what I did hasn't made it worse, but I decided to reconnect the natural and 3rd As a Zerg player, I think I can still fairly easily deal with blink here. At least now the distance from your 3rd to your main is much shorter.

Are u sure that blink issue on maps is primarily related to Zergs?
Random is hard work dude...
LComteVarauG
Profile Joined January 2015
Australia158 Posts
March 06 2015 21:23 GMT
#20
On March 07 2015 06:02 Phaenoman wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 06 2015 19:59 LComteVarauG wrote:
On March 06 2015 15:42 Zerg.Zilla wrote:
That blink opportunity from the 3th to the main...shivers down my spine.

Hopefully what I did hasn't made it worse, but I decided to reconnect the natural and 3rd As a Zerg player, I think I can still fairly easily deal with blink here. At least now the distance from your 3rd to your main is much shorter.

Are u sure that blink issue on maps is primarily related to Zergs?

No, what I meant is that I know that at least Zerg can easily deal with blink offence. For the other races, I explained what I thought would happen in that scenario in the first post. The distances from where blink can enter the base relative to where the armies should be are not too far, so blink is both viable and easy to deal with. I only mentioned Zerg because I am a Zerg player, and I know that as Zerg it is fairly easy to stop blink play without making those strategies useless. I don't want to make a lot of strategies unviable for each race and yet I want the map to be balanced.
Author of "[LCV]" maps on SEA and NA. Don't Panic. Member of the clan: JRB (Just Really Bad)
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 1
ComeBackTV 788
IntoTheiNu 567
SteadfastSC486
Rex91
CosmosSc2 61
EnkiAlexander 56
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 486
UpATreeSC 152
Rex 91
CosmosSc2 61
BRAT_OK 56
JuggernautJason37
PtitDrogo 37
MindelVK 15
Codebar 9
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 36143
Mini 433
BeSt 325
Soulkey 275
Rush 158
Dewaltoss 113
Liquid`Ret 56
Mind 45
Killer 29
Trap 27
[ Show more ]
ToSsGirL 21
sorry 20
Shine 19
Dota 2
Dendi984
qojqva944
Counter-Strike
fl0m1101
Fnx 735
shoxiejesuss16
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King99
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes2504
Khaldor1738
Liquid`Hasu559
Other Games
Grubby3458
ArmadaUGS1663
B2W.Neo589
ceh9588
byalli455
KnowMe155
C9.Mang0123
QueenE93
Chillindude51
Trikslyr38
Railgan21
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream99
[ Show 19 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 36
• Adnapsc2 9
• Reevou 1
• intothetv
• Kozan
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Migwel
• IndyKCrew
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki27
• FirePhoenix16
• blackmanpl 6
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 3998
League of Legends
• TFBlade1049
Other Games
• imaqtpie977
• Scarra319
• Shiphtur313
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
15h 51m
OSC
18h 51m
Stellar Fest
18h 51m
OSC
1d 5h
Stellar Fest
1d 18h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.