• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:43
CEST 11:43
KST 18:43
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)55Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8220 users

[I] Raising Awareness To 1.5 Melee - Page 2

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 All
PauseBreak
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States270 Posts
August 13 2012 05:56 GMT
#21
Yes, this patch was meant exclusively for the Custom modded games that will die out long before the competitive community even draws near its last breath.

Custom games leave a very sour taste in my mouth. If I wanted to play some TD game I'd go to some flash game sites and play that garbage. But, whatever. Some people like playing it, and all the power to them. In BW some of those games were pretty cute. And by cute, I mean naked celebrity pictures made on pylons.

But the fact that Blizzard shoved melee's to the dark back corner with the dunce cap, the one thing that really makes SC2 stick out as a competitive, sport really saddens me.

I support this effort! Keep it up!
dUTtrOACh
Profile Joined December 2010
Canada2339 Posts
August 13 2012 09:16 GMT
#22
This was my initial thought with the arcade patch. Popular games would get attention and melee maps, which nobody ever makes public, get no love. I'm not surprised that the map developers for melee are having a hard time getting exposure for their work, but I'm definitely a bit pissed off about it.
twitch.tv/duttroach
Visage814
Profile Joined April 2012
United States109 Posts
August 13 2012 09:30 GMT
#23
Just the other day I was trying to find some melee maps I saw in this forum, and it was way too difficult. So this sounds like a good idea
Randomaccount#77123
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States5003 Posts
August 13 2012 11:55 GMT
#24
--- Nuked ---
ScorpSCII
Profile Joined April 2012
Denmark499 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-13 12:03:58
August 13 2012 12:03 GMT
#25
On August 13 2012 14:56 PauseBreak wrote:
Yes, this patch was meant exclusively for the Custom modded games that will die out long before the competitive community even draws near its last breath.

Custom games leave a very sour taste in my mouth. If I wanted to play some TD game I'd go to some flash game sites and play that garbage. But, whatever. Some people like playing it, and all the power to them. In BW some of those games were pretty cute. And by cute, I mean naked celebrity pictures made on pylons.

But the fact that Blizzard shoved melee's to the dark back corner with the dunce cap, the one thing that really makes SC2 stick out as a competitive, sport really saddens me.

I support this effort! Keep it up!

On August 13 2012 18:16 dUTtrOACh wrote:
This was my initial thought with the arcade patch. Popular games would get attention and melee maps, which nobody ever makes public, get no love. I'm not surprised that the map developers for melee are having a hard time getting exposure for their work, but I'm definitely a bit pissed off about it.

On August 13 2012 18:30 Visage814 wrote:
Just the other day I was trying to find some melee maps I saw in this forum, and it was way too difficult. So this sounds like a good idea

On August 13 2012 20:55 Barrin wrote:
I too was trying to find some melee maps the other day, way too difficult.

I approve - they shouldn't have shafted melee map makers like this.


Exactly. And this combined with a horrible search function makes it impossible to find any maps at all.

Thanks for your support all
Mapmaker | Author of Atlas, Rao Mesa & Paralda
ScorpSCII
Profile Joined April 2012
Denmark499 Posts
August 14 2012 14:27 GMT
#26
Updated OP with a new technique, that should allow players to observe 1v1 maps with multiple spawns, as well as a 5th step.
Mapmaker | Author of Atlas, Rao Mesa & Paralda
ArcticRaven
Profile Joined August 2011
France1406 Posts
August 14 2012 14:50 GMT
#27
On August 13 2012 14:56 PauseBreak wrote:
Yes, this patch was meant exclusively for the Custom modded games that will die out long before the competitive community even draws near its last breath.

Custom games leave a very sour taste in my mouth. If I wanted to play some TD game I'd go to some flash game sites and play that garbage. But, whatever. Some people like playing it, and all the power to them. In BW some of those games were pretty cute. And by cute, I mean naked celebrity pictures made on pylons.


Emmm..... Dota ?
[Govie] Wierd shit, on a 6 game AP winning streak with KOTL in the trench. I searched gandalf quotes and spammed them all game long, trenchwarfare247, whateva it takes!
Gfire
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1699 Posts
August 14 2012 14:54 GMT
#28
It's not working. It lights up the "make spectator" and "make referee" options but clicking them does nothing. I also can't drag a player from one team to the other.

I can adjust some things so I can drag the players but then it turns off the spectators.
all's fair in love and melodies
ScorpSCII
Profile Joined April 2012
Denmark499 Posts
August 14 2012 15:08 GMT
#29
On August 14 2012 23:54 Gfire wrote:
It's not working. It lights up the "make spectator" and "make referee" options but clicking them does nothing. I also can't drag a player from one team to the other.

I can adjust some things so I can drag the players but then it turns off the spectators.


Kinda hard for me to test this atm, as I am one of those who are unable to use this technique (blame blizzard for that), but I'll keep trying.
Mapmaker | Author of Atlas, Rao Mesa & Paralda
Probe1
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States17920 Posts
August 14 2012 15:41 GMT
#30
I don't understand your post PauseBreak. For this post I fired up ICCUP and about 15% of the games were UMS. There's nothing wrong with custom games, people enjoy them even on a server that focuses on competitive play.

I thought the point of the thread was to add a option for melee map makers that were quietly shunted to the side in favor of UMS, not that UMS is dum and lamezors.
우정호 KT_VIOLET 1988 - 2012 While we are postponing, life speeds by
HypertonicHydroponic
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
437 Posts
August 17 2012 16:36 GMT
#31
So, I didn't read all of the patch notes yet but it appears that everything that was a custom melee map before, if it hasn't been re-published since the 1.5.0 patch, has been dumped into the "Other" category in the arcade. I found my first map on page 19 (road not taken) and passed a number of other maps along the way (like Timetwister's Haven's Lagoon RE 0.2 on page 16 -- on page 21 are 5 ESL IEM maps at the time of this post).

Sorry if I'm late to the party but I just got my game patched yesterday. Anyway, despite being in the arcade, none of these maps have any of the arcade features enabled -- you do not even see the default mini-map overview image anymore.

However, it does not seem like a whole lot of people have re-published their maps at all, much less under the Strategy section. It even seems like some people have just re-published as melee maps (winparkprime, MLG, others -- it's hard to browse these as has been mentioned...).

Is there a point or question from these observations? Well, I'm not sure yet... I guess it seems like this movement hasn't really picked up much yet, and I was wondering if more people plan on doing this and just haven't yet, or don't care, or what. Or is the process of getting it just right to be arcade ready just that much more time consuming that people are still in the process of it?

+ Show Spoiler [me being dumb] +
Also, since I've been patched I've only played on one of my maps a few times, but it seems like it doesn't want to wait for everyone to be ready once all of the slots have been filled like in a custom melee game. It also seems like it doesn't want to let you change the mode, like restricting a 2v2 map to 1v1 or FFA. I assume these things can be modified in the editor but I've never messed with these settings before. Is there anything tricky about it in the editor, particularly if you are going to publish it to the arcade using the OP's recommendation? Wow, I probably just should have clicked around a bit more... the auto-play on game fill is when you use "play" vs. "create private game" which waits for you to hit start. I can't believe I answered my own question just as soon as I finished typing. :/
[P] The Watery Archives -- http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=279070
HypertonicHydroponic
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
437 Posts
August 22 2012 06:21 GMT
#32
I may have found a bug in publishing to the arcade, but it could very well have to do with something else in my map file. I just published my first map using the instructions here: Tektroid. I just played a couple of test games an I noticed that at the Fleet Beacon the upgrades were flux vanes and grav catapult. Also the khydrian amulet was available at the templar archieves. I'm pretty sure I didn't miss a patch where they reintroduced these upgrades -- I just got patched to 1.5.2 before I published. Anyone else experiencing this? Is there some dependancy I need to change in the map, or some setting to fix? Or is this something that just happens when you publish an otherwise melee map to the arcade?
[P] The Watery Archives -- http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=279070
laLAlA[uC]
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Canada963 Posts
August 22 2012 06:39 GMT
#33
Wait. Why are you "hurting" UMS developers? I understand what you're trying to do but that's not the best way to put things.
I'm an old man now
Karawasa
Profile Joined July 2011
United States58 Posts
August 22 2012 07:28 GMT
#34
All you guys do is modify the terrain. That is not UMS. You do not belong in the Arcade.
HypertonicHydroponic
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
437 Posts
August 22 2012 08:38 GMT
#35
@ Karawasa -- Well unless Blizz f'ed up when transferring my maps over to the new system, they all exist in the Arcade under the Other category. But as I said it does not look like it is the case that Blizz just messed up with my maps since many other maps were transferred there as well even though they are melee maps.

Furthermore, there are often times things that mappers do to modify their maps to get it to work outside of the norm of a Blizzard defined "Melee" map, even though the intention is for it to still be a melee map. Technically these *are* UMS maps. I have at least one map that is intended for melee but has some custom triggers in it.



That being said and back on topic -- I still do not know how to get my new maps to be published like the maps that were converted over by Blizz in the whole patching process. I just tried quite a few things and my new map is either being published to the arcade with all of the costs / timings / etc. of multiplayer at release, or it is being published with all the other melee maps where it is very difficult to find and does not take advantage of all of the nice new promotional features of the arcade. Has anyone figured out anything on this?
[P] The Watery Archives -- http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=279070
Gfire
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1699 Posts
August 22 2012 14:28 GMT
#36
On August 22 2012 17:38 HypertonicHydroponic wrote:
That being said and back on topic -- I still do not know how to get my new maps to be published like the maps that were converted over by Blizz in the whole patching process. I just tried quite a few things and my new map is either being published to the arcade with all of the costs / timings / etc. of multiplayer at release, or it is being published with all the other melee maps where it is very difficult to find and does not take advantage of all of the nice new promotional features of the arcade. Has anyone figured out anything on this?

It's not map-specific, it's a but related to the arcade. I think it happens depending on how you create the game. It's been a known issue since the patch came out. Nothing mappers can do about it afaik.
all's fair in love and melodies
HypertonicHydroponic
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
437 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-22 18:47:56
August 22 2012 17:35 GMT
#37
On August 22 2012 23:28 Gfire wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 22 2012 17:38 HypertonicHydroponic wrote:
That being said and back on topic -- I still do not know how to get my new maps to be published like the maps that were converted over by Blizz in the whole patching process. I just tried quite a few things and my new map is either being published to the arcade with all of the costs / timings / etc. of multiplayer at release, or it is being published with all the other melee maps where it is very difficult to find and does not take advantage of all of the nice new promotional features of the arcade. Has anyone figured out anything on this?

It's not map-specific, it's a but related to the arcade. I think it happens depending on how you create the game. It's been a known issue since the patch came out. Nothing mappers can do about it afaik.

Do you have an example of an Arcade published map that plays both with the current melee patch and the day zero patching? If so, do you know the settings of how it was published -- the game variant, etc.? With my newly published map I've tried creating games privately, 1v1, 2v2, co-op, then the same thing with the "play" button, and they all seem to be using day zero patching, but with my other maps it seems to just use the current patching (and despite being in the arcade under the Other section, the genre says "Melee"). I'm about to just publish to Melee since that seems to be the only way to guarantee the current melee patching to be applied. It's a shame, since the features of the arcade are so nice.

EDIT: Actually, I think I may have gotten this figured out now. I added the dependancy ("Add Standard..." button) for "Liberty Multi (Mod)" which says in the description that it has "Data related to game balance changes for Wings of Liberty multiplayer melee games". I don't know if others were doing this already or something else but this is seeming to work for me.
[P] The Watery Archives -- http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=279070
ScorpSCII
Profile Joined April 2012
Denmark499 Posts
October 19 2012 16:10 GMT
#38
In 1.5.0, the Arcade dramatically changed the way players find games to play. Now we’re bringing a lot of the same tools that help make finding Arcade games easy to the StarCraft melee map Custom Game section.
For example, you can now find Open Games, Bookmarks, and Recently Played on the left side of the interface, the same way you would in Arcade. You can also sort the maps by Top Played, Top Rated, Up & Coming, and Newest.
Maps in the Custom Game screen will also now have a Game Info dialog like their Arcade counterparts. Mapmakers can add screenshots, include patch notes, and outline details on map strategy, while players will be able to rate and review the maps they play.

Please note: The Game Info dialog for Custom Game maps did not make it in time for the very next major beta patch, but you should see it in a major beta patch in the weeks to come.

Source: Heart of the Swarm UI Update

We did it, folks.
Mapmaker | Author of Atlas, Rao Mesa & Paralda
iamcaustic
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada1509 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-19 17:52:51
October 19 2012 17:50 GMT
#39
On October 20 2012 01:10 ScorpSCII wrote:
Show nested quote +
In 1.5.0, the Arcade dramatically changed the way players find games to play. Now we’re bringing a lot of the same tools that help make finding Arcade games easy to the StarCraft melee map Custom Game section.
For example, you can now find Open Games, Bookmarks, and Recently Played on the left side of the interface, the same way you would in Arcade. You can also sort the maps by Top Played, Top Rated, Up & Coming, and Newest.
Maps in the Custom Game screen will also now have a Game Info dialog like their Arcade counterparts. Mapmakers can add screenshots, include patch notes, and outline details on map strategy, while players will be able to rate and review the maps they play.

Please note: The Game Info dialog for Custom Game maps did not make it in time for the very next major beta patch, but you should see it in a major beta patch in the weeks to come.

Source: Heart of the Swarm UI Update

We did it, folks.

One of my favourite features coming in HotS, along with the MUCH better UI overall, going back to the classic Blizzard style of menu lists and windows over a clean background scene. Makes it far more flexible to adjust menus as appropriate, rather than having a fixed, global box UI that everything must go into/fill out.

+ Show Spoiler [Old Blizzard menus] +

[image loading]
[image loading]


EDIT: Some people might ask "why didn't they do this in the first place?!" Settle down, now. They tried a different direction, originally hiring on an XBOX live UI designer, and it just didn't pan out. Classic case of "don't try to re-invent the wheel", but don't fault them for wanting to try and give players a new kind of experience. My only concerns/frustrations were that they might try to stick with it, but this UI announcement has quelled all of that.
Twitter: @iamcaustic
Prev 1 2 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 17m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 4634
firebathero 2213
Bisu 710
Hyuk 425
BeSt 146
Leta 114
Larva 106
Sexy 105
EffOrt 90
Killer 88
[ Show more ]
Dewaltoss 81
Soma 78
ToSsGirL 60
ZerO 59
Light 49
Yoon 40
soO 39
Sharp 37
Aegong 28
Bale 24
Sacsri 22
Shinee 18
Rush 18
sorry 17
NaDa 15
Hm[arnc] 14
JulyZerg 9
Terrorterran 5
Pusan 1
Dota 2
Fuzer 145
Counter-Strike
shoxiejesuss1013
byalli840
kRYSTAL_24
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor975
crisheroes589
Other Games
gofns36470
singsing1593
olofmeister1031
ceh9674
Mew2King87
ArmadaUGS45
ZerO(Twitch)14
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream154
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix4
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2340
League of Legends
• Stunt401
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
3h 17m
OSC
12h 17m
CranKy Ducklings
1d
Online Event
1d 1h
FEL
1d 6h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 7h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 9h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.