• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:46
CEST 15:46
KST 22:46
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
[Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7832 users

[M] (3) Galactic HQ

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
1 2 Next All
Namrufus
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
United States396 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-25 02:30:37
August 27 2011 17:35 GMT
#1
GALACTIC HQ v 2.3

[image loading]
+ Show Spoiler [beauty shots] +

[image loading]
[image loading]
[image loading]

In a galaxy of conflict, are you a force of order or disorder?
+ Show Spoiler [overview] +

[image loading]

+ Show Spoiler [analyzer summary] +

[image loading]

+ Show Spoiler [analyzer rush distances] +

1o'clock vs 6'oclock:
145

10o'clock vs 6'oclock:
135

10o'clock vs 1'oclock:
155

+ Show Spoiler [old versions] +

2.2
2.1
2.0
1.1
1.0

I had originally posted this map in the asymmetric maps challange, based on the comments and feedback I got there I decided to make major changes to the the eastern starting position and other parts of the map. instead of taking up more space in that thread, I decided to create this thread for the map.

FEATURES

an asymmetric map, based partly on Metalopolis

each spawn combination will lead to a different type of game.

I tried to incorperate balance by equalizing the expansion opportunities for each of the spawn combinations, for example in a 1o'clock vs 10o'clock game, each player has two easier expansions followed by a more vulnerable base that is farther away.

there is an island, it has some pods that should theoretically allow protoss to drop or warpin more easily!

CONCERNS

probably alot of stuff, I am not an expert mapper or player.

FEEDBACK AND COMMENTS

Published on the NA server under the name "Galactic HQ" (without the quotes) if you want to check it out.
please leave your feedback, comments and suggestions so that I can improve this map!
This is it... the alpaca lips.
Carapace
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Netherlands128 Posts
August 27 2011 17:54 GMT
#2
Arent islands terran favored?
Sea_Food
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Finland1612 Posts
August 27 2011 18:04 GMT
#3
On August 28 2011 02:54 Basagu wrote:
Arent islands terran favored?


No. they are protoss unfavored, since both zerg and terran can haras them really easily with drops and mutas, but no race can defend them propelly vs terran or zerg.
FeyFey
Profile Joined September 2010
Germany10114 Posts
August 27 2011 18:27 GMT
#4
mmm in generall islands are bad to take, since no one can really defend them (well zerg can with a nydus, but thats like "Hey i have taken the island !!")

Since they are unused its quiet good to hide something there. I am actually missing island expos. (mostly taken out because no one scouted those :/ )

5 o clock will have a few problems with the island expos, but has the lil gold to make up for that, so i quiet like it. (though gold might be to much at that posi.)
WniO
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2706 Posts
August 27 2011 18:39 GMT
#5
hmm i dont like how you just altered metalopolis but at least you kept the aesthetic.
Gl!tch
Profile Joined December 2010
United States573 Posts
August 27 2011 18:59 GMT
#6
You may have just started with Metalopolis.. but the map is completely different. Exelent map, i like that you tried the asymetric challange.
“I mean, they say you die twice. One time when you stop breathing and a second time, a bit later on, when somebody says your name for the last time.” ― Banksy
FlaShFTW
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States10569 Posts
August 27 2011 21:36 GMT
#7
the map is pretty good for an asymmetric map challenge. this would in my opinion rank up with fantasy//fantasy 2 in sc bw. When i first clicked the link, i thought to myself, "something about pokemon pearl/diamond/platinum?" xD
Writer#1 KT and FlaSh Fanboy || Woo Jung Ho Never Forget || Teamliquid Political Decision Desk
TL+ Member
Fishgle
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
United States2174 Posts
August 27 2011 21:44 GMT
#8
not an expert, so take my advice with a grain of salt:

5 oclock vs 1 oclock seems problematic. Early rush is fixed by the rocks, but in midgame, once rocks are destroyed, the distance seems to be tiny. That combined with the fact that they are expanding towards each other, and that there's only one choke, with a very long difficult path for flanks and counter attacks would make this death for zerg in those positions.

I would actually switch the positions of 1's natural and main or change the natural to the left-top side. I would also remove most of the rocks on the map, specifically the ones at 3oclock since 1-5 rush wont be a problem anymore and also to allow scouting in either direction. also remove both the ones blocking the 4th on the left side, since a left facing nat at the 1 can pressure the 10 if he tries to expand too much. Moving the natural to the topleft of the main also gets rid of some of the map's deadspace.

and add another double or triple wide ramp to the gold please, It is much too easy to defend.

I really like the map though, it has a really good chance of being balanced. Best asymmetrical map I've seen so far.
aka ChillyGonzalo / GnozL
IronManSC
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States2119 Posts
August 27 2011 23:06 GMT
#9
The bottom main has a harder 3rd to take while the top two mains have easy, quicker 3rds.
SC2 Mapmaker || twitter: @ironmansc || Ohana & Mech Depot || 3x TLMC finalist || www.twitch.tv/sc2mapstream
Namrufus
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
United States396 Posts
August 28 2011 03:39 GMT
#10
Thanks for the feedback!

@Sea_Food
do you think that adding pods like this:
+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]

to the island might make it easier for protoss to drop or warp in and harass?

@FeyFey
i'm not too sure about the gold either, I might remove it later.

@WinO
to be clear, I didn't actaully copy-paste pieces of metalopolis, the map was done entirely by hand. I have been working to change the map to play less like metalopolis though, if you check the earlier versions they look alot more like the metalopolis.

@Gl!tch
thanks!

@FlaShFTW
I actually didn't make that connection when I was thinking of names! The buildings should have spikes on them like the team galactic building lol.

@Fishgle
the problem with bringing the entrance to 1's natural to the top left side is that it makes it too easy for 10 to expand into 1's nat/main in a game between 5 and 10, 5 will end up with less availible bases in the endgame. I do see the problem though. I'll keep thinking about it... switching 1's main and nat might be a bit more viable...

@IronManSC
I will add an additional ramp up to 5's third pointeing into the natural to make it a little easier to defend in the next version.
This is it... the alpaca lips.
ClysmiC
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States2192 Posts
August 28 2011 03:45 GMT
#11
On August 28 2011 08:06 IronManSC wrote:
The bottom main has a harder 3rd to take while the top two mains have easy, quicker 3rds.

This is exactly what I thought when I saw the map. The same could be said for its natural. Other than that, I'm pretty impressed with how well balanced this map appears for an asymmetric one.
MaestroSC
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States2073 Posts
August 28 2011 03:49 GMT
#12
Its not symmetrical.

I hate to be overly short, but this is all I needed to see before I personally disliked the map.

When you make maps that arent symmetrical you encourage spawn positions to give players automatic advantages/disadvantages before they have clicked a single space once.

I would never play simply because of this reasoning. Which may seem shallow/blunt but its my true honest opinion. When you make the map nonsymmetrical you encourage "imbalanced" cries.
Namrufus
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
United States396 Posts
August 28 2011 04:06 GMT
#13
On August 28 2011 12:49 MaestroSC wrote:
Its not symmetrical.

I hate to be overly short, but this is all I needed to see before I personally disliked the map.

When you make maps that arent symmetrical you encourage spawn positions to give players automatic advantages/disadvantages before they have clicked a single space once.

I would never play simply because of this reasoning. Which may seem shallow/blunt but its my true honest opinion. When you make the map nonsymmetrical you encourage "imbalanced" cries.


I understand. Any asymmetric map probably cannot be perfectly 100% balanced for all matchups and races in all phases of the game.

However, that doesn't mean that the mapper can't try to minimize these imbalances. My personal opinion is that the imbalances can be minimized until they are almost unnoticible. This is unlikely with this map of course, but thats the reason I am working on this map, to improve my own mapping ability and understanding of the game.
This is it... the alpaca lips.
Big J
Profile Joined March 2011
Austria16289 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-28 08:16:10
August 28 2011 07:49 GMT
#14
On August 28 2011 13:06 Namrufus wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 28 2011 12:49 MaestroSC wrote:
Its not symmetrical.

I hate to be overly short, but this is all I needed to see before I personally disliked the map.

When you make maps that arent symmetrical you encourage spawn positions to give players automatic advantages/disadvantages before they have clicked a single space once.

I would never play simply because of this reasoning. Which may seem shallow/blunt but its my true honest opinion. When you make the map nonsymmetrical you encourage "imbalanced" cries.


I understand. Any asymmetric map probably cannot be perfectly 100% balanced for all matchups and races in all phases of the game.

However, that doesn't mean that the mapper can't try to minimize these imbalances. My personal opinion is that the imbalances can be minimized until they are almost unnoticible. This is unlikely with this map of course, but thats the reason I am working on this map, to improve my own mapping ability and understanding of the game.



I would even say. Any map cannot be perfectly 100% balanced for all matchups and races in all phases of the game.
Though I believe that assymetry needs like 50times more testing.

Thoughts on the map:
In top vs bottom I think the gold base is too easy to take for bottom. Both players have similar 3rds (bottom third is even better because of high ground in my eyes) and their way to the left bases is - again - similar, so I don't see a real reason why bottom should have an easier gold base (especially one that is on the high ground and very strong as a siege position vs top).

Personally I think that you use too many rocks to counteract rush distances, though I think that they could be fine without them or with just very little changes. (as benchmark, XNC has ~140-145 rush distance, your map has 170-190, so if changes would lead to something like ~160 rush distance, it would still be fine imo)
TheAmazombie
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States3714 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-28 08:04:39
August 28 2011 08:04 GMT
#15
On August 28 2011 16:49 Big J wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 28 2011 13:06 Namrufus wrote:
On August 28 2011 12:49 MaestroSC wrote:
Its not symmetrical.

I hate to be overly short, but this is all I needed to see before I personally disliked the map.

When you make maps that arent symmetrical you encourage spawn positions to give players automatic advantages/disadvantages before they have clicked a single space once.

I would never play simply because of this reasoning. Which may seem shallow/blunt but its my true honest opinion. When you make the map nonsymmetrical you encourage "imbalanced" cries.


I understand. Any asymmetric map probably cannot be perfectly 100% balanced for all matchups and races in all phases of the game.

However, that doesn't mean that the mapper can't try to minimize these imbalances. My personal opinion is that the imbalances can be minimized until they are almost unnoticible. This is unlikely with this map of course, but thats the reason I am working on this map, to improve my own mapping ability and understanding of the game.



I would even say. Any map cannot be perfectly 100% balanced for all matchups and races in all phases of the game.

Though I believe that assymetry needs like 50times more testing.


I have to agree. I think that asymmetry is a great idea and needs to continue to be explored. All races have advantages and disadvantages at various points of gameplay. No matter what, no map is 100% perfect at all times for each race.
We think too much and feel too little. More than machinery, we need humanity. More than cleverness, we need kindness and gentleness. Without these qualities, life will be violent and all will be lost. -Charlie Chaplin
Namrufus
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
United States396 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-30 02:31:32
August 30 2011 01:55 GMT
#16
Map Update!

it's a test version: some or all of the changes made in this version probably be reverted.

+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]


I made alot of changes from the last version, I think I made a few too many though... I'm not really sure if its even an improvement.

MAJOR CHANGES:

-changed location of 1oclock's natural: I took Fishgl's advice and moved the natural to the top-left. this is the largest change that I am the least sure about.

-rearranged 5o'clock's spawning area. I did this to equalize the distance and vulnerability for expansions for 10o'clock and 1o'clock

-changed the gold base: changed the gold half-base to a blue full base to give 5o'clock another normal expansion, added a new entrance to improve mobility in that part of the map.

-the aesthetics kind of deteriorated, this is a test version though, I'll fix it later.

FEEDBACK AND COMMENTS:

Published on the NA server under the name "Galactic HQ" (without the quotes). Why not try a game or two?

please leave your feedback, comments and suggestions so that I can improve this map!

edit: grammer/spelling/clarification
This is it... the alpaca lips.
Mammel
Profile Joined November 2010
Finland189 Posts
August 30 2011 05:31 GMT
#17
Analyzer rush distances need a bit of fixing. Threy're all 1 o'clock v 5 o'clock with different numbers.
Trang
Profile Joined October 2009
Australia324 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-30 08:01:07
August 30 2011 07:58 GMT
#18
On August 28 2011 12:49 MaestroSC wrote:
Its not symmetrical.

I hate to be overly short, but this is all I needed to see before I personally disliked the map.

When you make maps that arent symmetrical you encourage spawn positions to give players automatic advantages/disadvantages before they have clicked a single space once.

I would never play simply because of this reasoning. Which may seem shallow/blunt but its my true honest opinion. When you make the map nonsymmetrical you encourage "imbalanced" cries.


If you read the OP, he says he made it for the Asymmetric Map Challenge, which can be found here: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=255881

So, you know, you're kind of criticising him for mapping within the constraints of a challenge that he can't change.

I think it's clear that the challenge was put in place to explore the possibilities with asymmetric maps. Props to the OP for doing a good job so far!
Namrufus
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
United States396 Posts
August 31 2011 01:48 GMT
#19
On August 30 2011 14:31 Mammel wrote:
Analyzer rush distances need a bit of fixing. Threy're all 1 o'clock v 5 o'clock with different numbers.


oops.

The OP is now fixed! thanks.
This is it... the alpaca lips.
Namrufus
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
United States396 Posts
September 03 2011 02:04 GMT
#20
Map Update!

+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]

CHANGES:

balance: reverted 1o'clock and 5o'clock(now 6o'clock) spawns mostly to how they were before. Made a bunch of other minor adjustments. increased the rush distance between 1 and 5. I'm actually alot happier with this version than the last one.

aesthetics: improved a bit, still not 100% done but more complete than last version. changed model of los blockers in main because of framerate issues. added more cool decals to the ramps.

FEEDBACK AND COMMENTS:

Published on the NA server under the name "Galactic HQ" (without the quotes). Why not try a game or two?!

please leave your feedback, comments and suggestions so that I can improve this map!
This is it... the alpaca lips.
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Kung Fu Cup
20:00
Kung Fu Cup Weekly #26
IntoTheiNu 1070
RotterdaM535
SteadfastSC290
TKL 215
Rex115
CosmosSc2 32
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 535
SteadfastSC 290
TKL 215
Rex 115
CosmosSc2 32
Codebar 26
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 45081
Shuttle 2519
Jaedong 1117
Calm 1044
Horang2 810
Mini 624
actioN 544
EffOrt 530
Soulkey 479
Soma 360
[ Show more ]
Stork 301
Rush 294
Larva 282
BeSt 221
Snow 192
ZerO 171
firebathero 133
Mong 119
Zeus 106
Last 91
910 74
Mind 68
hero 67
Free 66
Hyun 58
Sharp 56
Yoon 46
PianO 39
Pusan 34
sorry 34
Shinee 32
JYJ 26
Bale 25
Shine 25
Hm[arnc] 24
ToSsGirL 22
Sexy 22
Aegong 21
HiyA 21
Terrorterran 15
scan(afreeca) 12
Rock 10
Sacsri 10
Noble 10
Icarus 6
Dota 2
Gorgc4998
Dendi1276
canceldota66
Counter-Strike
fl0m1862
Fnx 550
edward49
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King172
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes585
Lowko390
Other Games
gofns22591
singsing2178
olofmeister1170
hiko588
B2W.Neo337
DeMusliM228
Livibee184
Pyrionflax166
Liquid`VortiX119
QueenE73
Trikslyr60
Khaldor54
ZerO(Twitch)15
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 1455
Other Games
BasetradeTV175
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream36
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH175
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2035
• Jankos1437
• TFBlade512
Other Games
• Shiphtur673
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
2h 15m
The PondCast
20h 15m
INu's Battles
21h 15m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 8h
Replay Cast
1d 9h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
Patches Events
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.