• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:02
CEST 20:02
KST 03:02
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)59Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
[Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Data analysis on 8 million games BW General Discussion Bot on ladder JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7955 users

[M] (4) Void Rift - Page 2

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 All
Johanaz
Profile Joined September 2010
Denmark363 Posts
May 12 2011 19:18 GMT
#21
OK, now we´re confused... monitor pointed out a few legitimate issues. I cursed myself for not posting the layout earlier, and just submitting the map.
I wonder if the judges found the map to have good gameplay as is, or chose it pending the proposed revisions?

Regardless, I had a lot of fun testgames prior to submitting it, perhaps the judges had that too. Sometimes flawed is better than perfect, but that also takes a good amount of luck.
TPW Map Maker - theplanetaryworkshop.com
dezi
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Germany1536 Posts
May 13 2011 11:13 GMT
#22
On May 11 2011 19:17 Johanaz wrote:
I have done 2 versions of the map with the changes suggested by monitor:

Version 1:+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
Version 2:+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Version 1 is close to what monitor suggested except I did not move the gold to replace 3rd base.

Version 2 is identical to my original layout but with 2 ramps added by the gold in order to open up the long path to the 3rds. Also, I removed 1 gas at the gold and one mineral patch at the side expos.

As both versions address the problem with the long path I´d like to know which revision you guys prefer.

Here´s a poll if you want to share your opinion:+ Show Spoiler +
Poll: What version do you prefer?

Version 1 (monitors sketch). (2)
 
100%

Old version was fine. (0)
 
0%

Version 2 (hybrid). (0)
 
0%

2 total votes

Your vote: What version do you prefer?

(Vote): Old version was fine.
(Vote): Version 1 (monitors sketch).
(Vote): Version 2 (hybrid).


Version 1
I miss the additional path removed above the HY. As T when both players start top i would alway expand towards my opponent (only 1 attack path to the 3rd there and i can also shell the HY if needed or guard it from there and nothing you can do against it.

Version 2
Here i miss the additional path top / bottom.


So i would mix it up like this:
[image loading]
Expanding toward your opponent on top is a bit harder because you need to cover a lot more area to be save and top bottom has an additional (and already open) path. I also used those ramps next to the HY because it think that's a really good idea from monitor.
TPW Member | My Maps @ TL: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=171486 | Search 'dezi' at EU
Johanaz
Profile Joined September 2010
Denmark363 Posts
May 13 2011 12:33 GMT
#23
On May 13 2011 20:13 dezi wrote:+ Show Spoiler +

On May 11 2011 19:17 Johanaz wrote:
I have done 2 versions of the map with the changes suggested by monitor:

Version 1:+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
Version 2:+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Version 1 is close to what monitor suggested except I did not move the gold to replace 3rd base.

Version 2 is identical to my original layout but with 2 ramps added by the gold in order to open up the long path to the 3rds. Also, I removed 1 gas at the gold and one mineral patch at the side expos.

As both versions address the problem with the long path I´d like to know which revision you guys prefer.

Here´s a poll if you want to share your opinion:+ Show Spoiler +
Poll: What version do you prefer?

Version 1 (monitors sketch). (2)
 
100%

Old version was fine. (0)
 
0%

Version 2 (hybrid). (0)
 
0%

2 total votes

Your vote: What version do you prefer?

(Vote): Old version was fine.
(Vote): Version 1 (monitors sketch).
(Vote): Version 2 (hybrid).


Version 1
I miss the additional path removed above the HY. As T when both players start top i would alway expand towards my opponent (only 1 attack path to the 3rd there and i can also shell the HY if needed or guard it from there and nothing you can do against it.

Version 2
Here i miss the additional path top / bottom.


So i would mix it up like this:
[image loading]
Expanding toward your opponent on top is a bit harder because you need to cover a lot more area to be save and top bottom has an additional (and already open) path. I also used those ramps next to the HY because it think that's a really good idea from monitor.


Thanks dezi

I think you´ve sketched up a great compromise. I will make it happen ASAP.
TPW Map Maker - theplanetaryworkshop.com
lovablemikey
Profile Joined October 2010
264 Posts
May 13 2011 21:56 GMT
#24
Super cool map! I can't say there is a single thing I don't like about it.

I looked at it a little more and I wish the terrain levels were textured differently. The map becomes a big warm grey blob. The overview does, at least. Maybe in game it looks fine.

I like it!
monitor
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2409 Posts
May 13 2011 23:38 GMT
#25
On May 13 2011 21:33 Johanaz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 13 2011 20:13 dezi wrote:+ Show Spoiler +

On May 11 2011 19:17 Johanaz wrote:
I have done 2 versions of the map with the changes suggested by monitor:

Version 1:+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
Version 2:+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Version 1 is close to what monitor suggested except I did not move the gold to replace 3rd base.

Version 2 is identical to my original layout but with 2 ramps added by the gold in order to open up the long path to the 3rds. Also, I removed 1 gas at the gold and one mineral patch at the side expos.

As both versions address the problem with the long path I´d like to know which revision you guys prefer.

Here´s a poll if you want to share your opinion:+ Show Spoiler +
Poll: What version do you prefer?

Version 1 (monitors sketch). (2)
 
100%

Old version was fine. (0)
 
0%

Version 2 (hybrid). (0)
 
0%

2 total votes

Your vote: What version do you prefer?

(Vote): Old version was fine.
(Vote): Version 1 (monitors sketch).
(Vote): Version 2 (hybrid).


Version 1
I miss the additional path removed above the HY. As T when both players start top i would alway expand towards my opponent (only 1 attack path to the 3rd there and i can also shell the HY if needed or guard it from there and nothing you can do against it.

Version 2
Here i miss the additional path top / bottom.


So i would mix it up like this:
[image loading]
Expanding toward your opponent on top is a bit harder because you need to cover a lot more area to be save and top bottom has an additional (and already open) path. I also used those ramps next to the HY because it think that's a really good idea from monitor.


Thanks dezi

I think you´ve sketched up a great compromise. I will make it happen ASAP.


I still think its necessary to remove the rocked natural entrance, because it makes vertical positions too close natural to natural when you break the rocks.
https://liquipedia.net/starcraft2/Monitor
Johanaz
Profile Joined September 2010
Denmark363 Posts
May 17 2011 10:21 GMT
#26
Ok guys, thanks a lot for all your feedback. I have implemented the suggested changes:

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]-removed natural backdoor
-added ramps beside the golds
-open an additional passage through center

Also updated & added more pics & info to OP.
TPW Map Maker - theplanetaryworkshop.com
dezi
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Germany1536 Posts
May 17 2011 10:24 GMT
#27
Why did you made that passage close to the high ground mid that kinda small?
TPW Member | My Maps @ TL: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=171486 | Search 'dezi' at EU
Johanaz
Profile Joined September 2010
Denmark363 Posts
May 17 2011 10:58 GMT
#28
On May 17 2011 19:24 dezi wrote:
Why did you made that passage close to the high ground mid that kinda small?


It´s the most direct route when spawning top vs bottom (same side), and it´s not covered by the Watchtowers, so I thought it would be best if it was too narrow for a huge army to rush through.

TPW Map Maker - theplanetaryworkshop.com
dezi
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Germany1536 Posts
May 17 2011 11:08 GMT
#29
I think you should test a bigger version of that passage (with no gap to the middle high ground).
TPW Member | My Maps @ TL: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=171486 | Search 'dezi' at EU
Meltage
Profile Joined October 2010
Germany613 Posts
May 18 2011 10:54 GMT
#30
@Johanaz you saying it screws up rush distance top vs bottom close pos? Narrowing the path won't solve that you know, just ensure that those paths are not used by bigger units/armies.

I can't help but feel that somethgin essential was lost when you removed the nat rocks. The reason is not the nat itself but rather that the HY vespene bases are so cut off from the main path. In top vs bottom you would in 9 cases out of 10 go through the middle. Those rocked paths simply opened up the map so much more for top vs bottom. I kow it breaks top vs bottom nat distance, but ... what if you move the ramps pointing towards the middle closer to the nat and HY gas expos some? Put it right above and below the gaps in the centre?
http://mentalbalans.se/aggedesign
WniO
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2706 Posts
May 18 2011 11:17 GMT
#31
even though this is my fav now out of the top five i think zvt close positions (tvb) would be a nightmare if terran does a slow push through the rocks.
-Zoda-
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
France3578 Posts
May 18 2011 12:36 GMT
#32
Wooow, looks so sick ! Very dark but very well designed.
♪ 最初はi つなぐdo それ つまりlife 常に移動 ♪ - IGN: Uhryks
monitor
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2409 Posts
May 18 2011 14:14 GMT
#33
On May 17 2011 19:21 Johanaz wrote:
Ok guys, thanks a lot for all your feedback. I have implemented the suggested changes:

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]-removed natural backdoor
-added ramps beside the golds
-open an additional passage through center

Also updated & added more pics & info to OP.


I like the high yield area a lot more. I feel like the natural ramp is a bit awkward moving around the map, since its so close to the opponent. I think to fix this, you should bring it inwards toward the natural a bit, so its closer to the low ground third.

If you want to add rocks back, I guess you could disable the vertical positions.
https://liquipedia.net/starcraft2/Monitor
Meltage
Profile Joined October 2010
Germany613 Posts
May 18 2011 18:46 GMT
#34
I like the high yield area a lot more. I feel like the natural ramp is a bit awkward moving around the map, since its so close to the opponent. I think to fix this, you should bring it inwards toward the natural a bit, so its closer to the low ground third.


This was exactly what I meant, but monitor explained it better

Also, the low ground third is still HY vespene gas? I think it makes sense since the other third is easier to defend... but exactly HOW good is HY vespene gas? Is it like having a 3 gas base (but with less workers) .. someone shoudl do the math.
http://mentalbalans.se/aggedesign
Johanaz
Profile Joined September 2010
Denmark363 Posts
May 18 2011 19:31 GMT
#35
On May 19 2011 03:46 Meltage wrote:+ Show Spoiler +

I like the high yield area a lot more. I feel like the natural ramp is a bit awkward moving around the map, since its so close to the opponent. I think to fix this, you should bring it inwards toward the natural a bit, so its closer to the low ground third.


This was exactly what I meant, but monitor explained it better

Also, the low ground third is still HY vespene gas? I think it makes sense since the other third is easier to defend... but exactly HOW good is HY vespene gas? Is it like having a 3 gas base (but with less workers) .. someone shoudl do the math.


Thanks for the input. I will move the ramps closer to the natural, so the distance will be shorter to the low ground thirds. I have closed the gap between the new paths and the central high ground.

HY vespene works like HY minerals, that is, they allow workers to hold 6 gas units per trip. That is in effect like a 3 gas expo, except that each geyser still holds 2500 units.

About testing:+ Show Spoiler +
Last night I hosted a test game, a TvP 11 o´clock vs 2 o´clock where P expanded to 8 o´clock nat & main and T just floated an OC to low ground 3rd. The players felt the map was pretty well balanced off a first glance and that the expos were distributed well compared to their defendability.[image loading]Joe played Terran as he likes to off-race against lower ranked friends, when testing my maps. Needless to say it is unbelieveably awesome to have Europes 38th ranked player as an occational test pilot, but still as he puts it: this is not high level, it´s just fun.
Until you get progamers to test your map 100+ games you can´t know everything. The best you can do is take advice from more experienced mappers here ^^.

TPW Map Maker - theplanetaryworkshop.com
Johanaz
Profile Joined September 2010
Denmark363 Posts
May 20 2011 08:49 GMT
#36
I completed the changes.

Overview+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Angled+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


The MotM judges will use the original version, but with cross spawns only.
I submitted this latest revised version as well, in case they change their minds
Thank you all for your great ideas!
TPW Map Maker - theplanetaryworkshop.com
lefix
Profile Joined February 2011
Germany1082 Posts
May 20 2011 08:53 GMT
#37
top notch map. don't think i have any more crits to add
Map of the Month | The Planetary Workshop | SC2Melee.net
Acritter
Profile Joined August 2010
Syria7637 Posts
May 20 2011 11:03 GMT
#38
It seems to be a little difficult to take a third. Maybe just move the ramps a little to shorten the distance to the third base? Otherwise, great map.
dont let your memes be dreams - konydora, motivational speaker | not actually living in syria
Prev 1 2 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
22:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 3
IntoTheiNu 1066
SteadfastSC855
ComeBackTV 780
TaKeTV 673
IndyStarCraft 246
Rex111
EnkiAlexander 80
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 855
IndyStarCraft 246
ProTech143
Rex 111
UpATreeSC 72
BRAT_OK 46
MindelVK 24
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 33133
Shuttle 798
Mini 404
Rush 149
Hyuk 129
Dewaltoss 120
firebathero 92
Trap 51
ToSsGirL 30
Bale 23
[ Show more ]
Sacsri 20
Rock 15
Shine 14
Dota 2
Gorgc8310
qojqva1703
Counter-Strike
fl0m1619
Fnx 879
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King67
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes1393
Khaldor1264
Liquid`Hasu194
Other Games
summit1g1612
FrodaN1568
Beastyqt476
XBOCT258
Mlord249
ArmadaUGS174
DeMusliM169
KnowMe131
C9.Mang0121
QueenE87
XaKoH 85
CosmosSc2 14
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV267
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream59
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH315
• StrangeGG 47
• Hinosc 17
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 10
• Michael_bg 9
• FirePhoenix7
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie720
• Shiphtur292
Upcoming Events
OSC
3h 58m
CranKy Ducklings
15h 58m
Online Event
16h 58m
FEL
21h 58m
AI Arena Tournament
22h 58m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 15h
INu's Battles
1d 17h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.